Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
February 13-14, 2015 – 25 Shevat 5775
Parshas Mishpatim / Parshas Shekalim / Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 5:24 – Havdalah 6:25
* Light Candles by 5:24
Arcola: 5:25 University: 5:25 Sephardi: 5:20 Nusach Sefard: 5:25
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:20 University: 5:20 Sephardi: 5:05 Nusach Sefard: 5:20
* Maariv/Havdalah: 6:25
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Silver
* University Rabbi Yitzchok Brandriss
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – Lew Sosnowik in memory of his parents, Sima & Avraham Sosnowik and by Vivian & Arnie Kirshenbaum in memory of Arnie's father, Dovid ben Yechiel Tzvi HaCohen
* 8:00 Minyan – "The Chevra"
* University – "Mevorchim Hachodesh"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – Leah & Alex Kott in honor of the Bar Mitzvah of their son, Sholom.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 4:05 PM.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 4:35 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur at 4:50 PM.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Adina & Fred Friedman on the birth of a granddaughter, Nechama Henna, to their children, Devorah & Shmuel Friedman of Baltimore.
* Leah & Alex Kott on the Bar Mitzvah of their son Sholom. Mazal Tov also to his siblings, Shoshana & Eliyahu, Miriam & Dovid, Elisheva & Eric, Chava & Shmuel, Dede & Daniel, Chani, Aviva & Avery, Gedaliah, Nachmi, Shoshana, Sofia, and Benzion and all his nieces and nephews.
* Barbara Price on the Bar Mitzvah of her grandsons, Yonatan and Yehuda Spivak in West Orange, NJ. Mazal Tov to the parents Debra & Rabbi Marc Spivak, the other grandparents Cheryl & Dr. Howard Spivak, great-grandmothers Florence Fliegelman and Pearl Spivak, brothers, aunts, uncles, and cousins.
* Paul Berner on the passing of his mother, Flora Berner. The funeral took place on Tuesday in New York. Shiva will be observed at 10801 Cavalier Dr., through Monday morning. The Minyan schedule is as follows: Shacharis: Sunday: 8:00, Monday: 6:45; Mincha/Maariv: Sunday: 5:25
YISE Programs and Listings
Dor L'Dor – Family Chevrusah-style learning in a fun environment! This Motzei Shabbos, February 14, 7:30 PM, Arcola Social Hall. This week is not sponsored by yet. Open to the entire community! Delicious pizza! Interactive discussions! Raffle of exciting prizes! Lots of fun!
The Fifth Annual Siyum Tanach in Memory of Rav Anemer ZT"L will be held at a Shalosh Seudos on Shabbos, April 25, Parshas Tazria-Metzorah. To register for a particular section visit www.yise.org/siyum or contact Bob Levi at 301-593-2399.
Dedicate a YISE Window – YISE is raffling off the dedication for the last two recently installed stained-glass windows. The cost is only $36 per ticket. The drawing will take place at YISE on April 15. All tickets must be paid for by 5:00 PM Tuesday, April 14. One ticket: $36. Three tickets: $100. To order tickets, send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or send a check payable to "YISE" marked "window raffle" or to pay for your tickets by credit card, call Simi Franco in the YISE office at 301-593-4465 x403. Questions? email@example.com
Is It Ever A Bad Idea To Emulate G-d? Exploring Jewish Perspectives on Genetic Engineering – Greater Washington Community Kollel in conjunction with YISE invite men and women to a Jewish Ethics Lecture Series presented by Rabbi Yitzi Weiner, Scholar-in-Residence, Rosh Kollel of the Community Kollel of Sharon, Massachusetts, prolific author and dynamic lecturer. Sunday, February 15, 9:30 AM at YISE.
Taharas Hamishpacha Class for Women – Robin Niman, the manager of the Wallerstein Mikvah, will be giving Part II of a two-part refresher course on Sunday, February 15, at 11:00 AM, in the YISE Beis Medrash. Co-sponsored by the Mikvah Emunah Society of Greater Washington and YISE.
NEXT SHABBOS: Special Family Ruach Minyan – Next Friday, February 20, at 5:35 in the Arcola Social Hall. Children participate during Kabbalas Shabbos. During Maariv there will be a special children's storytime nearby.
Shomrai Nursery Registration for 2015-2016 is now OPEN! "I did it!" At Shomrai Nursery these words are music to our ears. That's because at Shomrai Nursery we believe in children. We believe they have feelings, thoughts and BIG ideas! We believe they are scientists who appreciate the beauty and miracle of the world, and view it with fresh, new eyes. Our Torah based preschool program is open from 7:30 AM until 6:00 PM. Program lengths vary according to parents' and child's needs. Tours of the school are by appointment only. Call 301 593-7365 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for inquiries.
Be part of global Good Deeds Day and join us in an event on Sunday, March 15 from 1:00 PM – 3:00 PM:
* Clowning and Parade Event – Join Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington, YISE, Berman Hebrew Academy, Beth Sholom Congregation and Talmud Torah, and Ohev Sholom Talmud Torah Congregation at The Hebrew Home 6121 Montrose Road, Rockville, MD 20852. Meet at 1:00 PM in the lobby. Bring your funny hats and costumes and make the residents smile. Upper School students can receive community service hours. Limited to 15 volunteers. To sign up, please contact Miriam Friedman at email@example.com
* Park Cleanup at the Kemp Mill Park and Sligo Creek Park – Join YISE, Berman Hebrew Academy, Beth Sholom Congregation and Talmud Torah, and Ohev Sholom Talmud Torah Congregation in conjunction with Montgomery Parks. Meet at the steps near CVS in the Kemp Mill Park anytime between 1:00 PM – 3:00 PM. Bags, gloves, and tee shirts will be distributed. Upper School students can receive community service hours. Great for all ages! Contact Miriam Friedman at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill – YISE's Chesed Committee has a program to help members undergoing serious medical crises. If you or someone you know needs help with meals, carpools, childcare, etc., or to volunteer, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org . If you are unable to cook a meal or help out, but would like to make a donation to Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill, please contact Simi Franco in the office.
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Haftoros Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver's Halacha Shiur for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM, in the Social Hall, part of the Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah.We will be discussing "Halachos of Berachos."
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM – will not meet this week due to the Lecture by Rabbi Yitzi Weiner.
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network's Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or email@example.com
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah – Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the Social Hall; Maariv to follow. Choose from classes:
* Gemara Kop with R' Nachum Schwartz
* Megillas Esther with commentary of the Vilna Gaon with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher
* Iyunim L'Halacha with R' Moshe Haim Blate
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM at University.
* GWCK Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency, Thursdays at 8:00 PM in the small Social Hall.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, in the small Social Hall, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
YISE Youth High School Boys Oneg – Friday night, February 13, 8:30 PM – 10:30 PM at the home of Daniel Ginsburg, 11700 Fulham St. Rabbi Rosenbaum will speak at 9:00 PM.
YISE Annual Banquet – Sunday, March 1
Honorees: Lianne & Theo Heller, Steve Resnick, and Youth Honorees:
Yoni Broth, Daniel Ginsburg, and Hadassah Solomson
RSVP using the card or contact the YISE office at 301-593-4465 or firstname.lastname@example.org The reservation deadline February 15 and the Journal deadline is February 22.
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos at 10:30 AM.
Tehillim – Wednesday mornings. Contact Arleeta Lerner for details 301-649-0552.
Declaring a Legal Holiday – Can We Establish New Yamim Tovim in Our Times? – The Federal Holiday Learning Program for Men with Rabbi Moshe Walter, Rav, Woodside Synagogue presented by the Kollel Zichron Amram of the Yeshiva of Greater Washington-Tiferes Gedaliah. Monday, February 16, Chavrusa at 9:00 AM; Shiur at 10:00 AM at the YGW-Tiferes Gedaliah Boys Campus. For more information please contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
A Tale of Horton and the Egg – YGW Girls Division presents its annual production for Women, Monday, February 16 and Wednesday, February 18 at the JCC of Greater Washington. Doors open 6:30 PM. Show begins 7:30 PM. Tickets $15 (Student/Senior); $18 (Adult) in advance; $18 (Student/Senior); $20 (Adult) at the Door. Tickets and Playbill ads available for purchase now. Visit www.yeshiva.edu or contact email@example.com or 301-962-5111 ext. 1407.
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, February 18, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Spiritual Healing from the Torah (EmunaHealing), The Healing Power of the Shema Yisrael – Shiur for Women. Tuesday, February 17, 7:30 PM, at the home of Bracha Melman, 512 Northwest Drive. Suggested donation $36 or whatever you can afford. Contact Devorah Miller 301-622-1527 or email@example.com
The Shabbos Goy: The Concept and the Halachah – Kollel Zichron Amram of YGW-Tiferes Gedaliah presents a community Yom Iyun for men. Sunday, February 22, Davening at 8:00 AM, Breakfast at 9:00 AM and the Program at 9:30 AM. YGW Boys Campus. For questions contact Rabbi Moshe Haim Blate at 404-273-3392 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Help! Balancing Sibling Relationships Between High and Low(er) Maintenance Children – Presented by SULAM, with speaker Avidan Milevsky, PhD, clinician, author and researcher on sibling relationships. In honor of Jewish Disability Awareness Month. Sunday, February 22, at YISE Social Hall, 7:45 PM. Admission is free. For more information, please contact Debbie Katz at email@example.com
Pre-Pesach Boutique in Kemp Mill – Sunday, March 8, at YISE, 11:00 AM –
3:30 PM. Some popular vendors to look forward to seeing: Polka Dots, E-Jeweled, Jewelry by the Strand, Lula Roe Fashions, Just Suits, Pampered Chef, Lena Wigs and more. There will be shells, hats, scarves, jewelry and art. Sponsored by the PTSO of YGW.
The Maccabeats are Coming Back, with Special Guest The Amazing Orthobox Beatboxing Phenomenon! Ohr Chadash Academy concert honoring Amian & Yossi Kelemer. VIP reception prior to the concert for sponsorships of $360 and up. March 8 at 3:00 PM, Beth Tfiloh Sagner Auditorium. Tickets are $20/$36 with sponsorships available. Visit www.ocaconcert.com to make your purchase or firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
The Ultimate Kindness – Chevra Kadisha is called the ultimate good deed, Chesed Shel Emet, as the recipient cannot return the favor. The Chevra Kadisha of Greater Washington needs volunteers to conduct Taharot. Opportunities are available daily and volunteers from throughout the region are welcome. For more information or to volunteer, contact: For Women's Division – Devorah Grayson, 202-438-7060. For Men's Division: (301) 593-1193 or email@example.com
The Golden Network has expanded its services to offer home-based musical performances to Seniors. TGN also offers a variety of other programs, including classes, lectures, one on one learning and friendship visits in Montgomery County. For more information contact (301)338-4810 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Job Assist Events:
* Accounting Issues for Small Business – Free workshop featuring Sharon Samuels. Monday, February 23, 7:30 PM to 9:00 PM. KMS. To reserve a seat, please email DMarwick@JobAssist.org.
* Job Search for 50+ – Polish your resume, networking, and interviewing skills through 5 days of classroom training. Next session begins February 23 in Rockville. For info, email egreenberg@AccessJCA.org
* Computer Training Online – Recorded courses on Access, SQL, and PowerPoint start on February 27. Info and register at www.oujobs.org
Purim Particulars – YISE and Beyond
Megillas Esther: Why the Slow Beginning? – Women's Pre-Purim Shiur with Rabbi Rosenbaum. Sunday, February 15, 8:30 PM at the home of Bassie Katz, 11524 Charlton Drive.
Rabbi Yitzchak Scher will give Shiur on Megillas Esther with commentary of the Vilna Gaon at the Tuesday night BMZG program from February 17 through Purim.
A Pre-Purim Kumzits for Women – Back by popular demand! Please join us for a nice, relaxing, spiritually uplifting evening just for women. Saturday night, February 21, 8:00 PM, at the home of Nancy & Pesach Mehlman, 925 Grays Lane. RSVP to email@example.com. Light refreshments will be served.
Rav Ahron Lopiansky will give a Purim Shiur open to men and women on Monday, March 2 at 8:00 PM. YISE Small Social Hall. Followed by Maariv.
AMIT is selling beautiful Purim cards for only $2.50 each. Contact: Esther Edeson at 301-593-1468 or Rachel Pinchot at 301-754-3773.
Rose & Bernard Singer Megilla Reading Program – Do you or someone you know need Megilla read because you cannot get to Shul, are ill, or other reason? Volunteers also needed to Lein the Megillah. Don’t wait until the last minute. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call (301) 593-1193.
Matanos L'Evyonim Options:
* Rabbi Rosenbaum will be collecting for distribution on Purim, primarily to local individuals in need. Drop off checks at the office made out to "YISE Charity Fund" and specifically marked "Matanos L'Evyonim" or give them to Rabbi Rosenbaum directly.
* The Yehuda Mond Foundation – which assists individuals and families year-round in our region, will be distributing on Purim day. Donate online at www.yehudamondfoundation.org or mailing to 812 Hyde Court.
* The Franco Foundation – donations will be distributed on Purim. Please help with your generous tax-deductible donation to the Franco Foundation, c/o Allan Franco, 613 Bromley Street, or through paypal at email@example.com
The Week Ahead
Sunday, February 15 Monday, Feb. 16 – Presidents Day Tuesday, February 17 Wednesday, February 18 Thursday, Feb. 19 – Rosh Chodesh Friday, Feb. 20 – Rosh Chodesh
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:10, 6:35, 7:35, 8:30 6:10, 6:35, 7:35, 8:30
University 8:00 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Sephardi 7:30 6:15, 7:10 6:20, 7:15 6:20, 7:15 6:15, 7:10 6:15, 7:10
Arcola 5:35 5:35 5:35 5:35 5:35 See Shabbos schedule
University N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 6:07 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:37 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:53 PM
February 20-21, 2015 – 2 Adar 5775
Light Candles by 5:32 – Havdalah 6:32
* Light Candles by 5:32
Arcola: 5:35, Ruach University: 5:35 Sephardi: 5:30 Nusach Sefard: 5:35
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:30 University: 5:30 Sephardi: 5:15 Nusach Sefard: 5:30
* Maariv/Havdalah: 6:32
Shabbos, February 14 Bar Mitzvah of Sholom Kott
Motzei Shabbos, Feb. 14 Dor L'Dor, 7:30 PM, Arcola Social Hall
Sunday, February 15 Taharas Hamishpacha Class for Women
Wednesday, February 18 Senior Lunch, 1:00 PM, Speaker: Simeon Pollock, "What are the Benefits of Acupuncture?" Program sponsored by The Golden Network
Shabbos, February 27-28 Scholar-in-Residence – Rabbi Dr. Aaron Adler – In conjunction with the World Zionist Congress Elections.
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, February 18 at 12 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Closed Monday, Tuesday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM,
Friday 9:00 AM-1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director