Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
February 1 – 2, 2019 – 27 Shevat 5779 – Parshas Mishpatim – Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 5:11 – Havdalah 6:12
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Esther Edeson & family and Raizel & Tommy Stern & family to commemorate the Shloshim of beloved husband, father, brother & grandfather, Jacob S. Edeson, Yaakov Sholomo Ben Yosef Nosson.
* Sharon & Jeff Augenbaum and Susan & Abe Zwany on the birth of a grandson, Alexander Judah, to Esti & Moshe Zwany of Bergenfield, NJ. Mazal Tov to siblings Simon and MacKenzie and to great-grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins.
* Bernice & Eddie Cohen on the marriage of their daughter, Reyna, to Eli Mamann of Boca Raton, FL. Mazal Tov to siblings, Isaac, Coby & Tali.
* Sarah & Matthew Karlin on the birth of a son. Mazal Tov to the big brothers, Yakov Gedaliah, Akiva and Meir; the grandparents, Melanie & Sandy Karlin and Leo & Marjorie Sushner; the great-grandparents, Dolores & Len Schwartz and Trudi & Merv Levin, and to all the aunts, uncles and cousins.
* Mindy & Shmuel Tolchinsky on the birth of a granddaughter, Sarah Rivka, to their children Tova & Doniel Weinstein of Passaic, NJ. Mazal Tov to Sarah Rivka's siblings, to grandparents Lee & Steve Weinstein, to great-grandparents Janet Rottenberg and Yehuda Tolchinsky, and to all the aunts, uncles, and cousins.
* Daniel Frumkin on the passing of his mother, Barbara Frumkin. The funeral took place on Tuesday. Shiva is being observed at 701 Hyde Road until Monday morning. Shacharis Sunday 9:00 AM. Mincha/Maariv Sunday 5:15 PM. The family requests visitors on Motzei Shabbos 7:00 PM – 10:00 PM, and on Sunday 9:00 AM – 9:00 PM.
* Ina Lerman on the passing of her sister, Susan Shefter. The funeral took place on Thursday. Shiva is being observed at the Shefter home, 3220 Hatton Road, Baltimore, MD 21208, through Wednesday morning.
YISE welcomes Rabbi Menachem Winter and the rabbis and families of GWCK, along with Simcha Leiner. We thank you for all you do for our shul through the year and we look forward to a wonderful Shabbos together.
See the back page for the complete schedule.
* Light Candles by 5:11
Ashkenazi: 5:15 (Ruach), 5:15 (Social Hall) Sephardi: 5:10 Nusach Sefard: 5:15
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:10 Sephardi: 4:55 Nusach Sefard: 5:10
* Shabbos Ends: 6:12
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Menachem Winter
* 8:00 Rabbi Yaacov Sternman
* 9:15 Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* Sephardi Minyan – Luna and Avi Perez
* 8:45 Main Minyan – Anonymous in honor of the Greater Washington Community Kollel.
* 9:15 Minyan – Jorden Brinn in memory of his wife, Beverly Kolb Brinn, following her fifth Yahrzeit.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, after Hashkamah Minyan, lower lobby
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur 9:00 AM, behind the balcony.
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 4:25 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Shiur after Mincha
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual selfimprovement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, will resume February 10.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the balcony.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for men & women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesdays at 7:30 PM. For more details, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash. Choose from classes:
* On the Same Page with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Sage Wisdom with Rabbi Moshe Sadwin
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for men & women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sundays at 8:00 PM in the Social Hall.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, email@example.com, 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Shaps – On The Same Page
* Tuesdays: Rabbi Winter – Torah Topics
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Grossman – Reading Responsa
* Thursdays: Rabbi Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah
* Tuesdays & Wednesdays: Shivti led by Rabbi Sussman. Rabbi Grossman will be presenting weekly lectures on the weekly topic.
* For Women:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Tehillim: An in-depth analysis
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM-7:25 AM & Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the room behind the Balcony.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women: 613? Appreciating Every One of Them! Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Kesubos, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM in the Social Hall.
YISE Programs and Listings
Dor L'Dor – The next Dor L'dor will take place on Motzei Shabbos, February 2, at 7:15 PM in the YISE Social Hall! This Dor L'Dor is sponsored by Allison & Jay Marcus and family, in memory of Jay's grandmother, Muriel Hoch. For further information, please contact Michael Shimoff at firstname.lastname@example.org The program will be held in the YISE Arcola Social Hall and is open to the entire community! Delicious pizza! Interactive discussions! Raffle of exciting prizes!
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish History on Monday, February 4, from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM at 1111 University Blvd. W. in the Penthouse. Light refreshments will be served. For more info, contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or email@example.com
Senior Lunch – Wednesday, February 6, 12 Noon, Social Hall. Dr. Alan Breitler, "Statistical Probability Surprises"
"The Making of a Minhag: The Laws and Parameters of Jewish Customs" – The Greater Washington Community Kollel in conjunction with YISE invites men and women of the community to a lecture by Rabbi Moshe Walter, Rabbi of Woodside Synagogue Ahavas Torah. Sunday, February 10 at 9:30 AM at YISE.
Ruach Minyan – February 15, with a special children's story program during part of the davening. So bring your family and invite your friends. It's going to be Gevaldic! For questions contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Infant & Child CPR Class – Sunday, March 3, 12 noon, at YISE. This is a full certification class, and will be administered by a trainer from NOVA Cert, LLC. If there is enough interest from teenagers, there will be a concurrent babysitting preparation class, which will include both CPR certification and special training for new babysitters. This class will be infant & child CPR only – no adult CPR will be taught.
The (subsidized) cost for the class will be $35 per person. Payment may be made by cash, credit card, check, or PayPal. Estimated time for the class is three hours (slightly longer for the babysitting preparation class). If interested, please sign up in advance by emailing LCypess@gmail.com Please specify if you are interested in babysitting preparation.
Save the Date! Shomrai Preschool Parent Teacher Organization invites the community to a lecture given by Rabbi Rosenbaum: "Perspectives on Raising a Jewish Child: Pitfalls and Challenges of Everyday Living", Sunday, March 24, 8:00 PM in the Small Social Hall. Open to the entire community. If you have questions, contact Moshe Kaplan at email@example.com
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program is a service to help members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. By signing up, you are not committing to help with anything specific. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Community Programs and Listings
Rabbi Marvin Goldman's Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, February 2, at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 516, at 4:00 PM
Bnei Akiva Ice Skating – Motzei Shabbos, February 2, 7:00 PM – 8:30 PM, at Silver Spring Ice Skating, 8523 Fenton Street. $15 per child or adult, $10 additional child (sibling discount). Grades 2 – 6, grades 2 – 3 must be accompanied by an adult. Pizza will be served!
Preparing for Adar Rishon – Video presentation for women by Rabbanit Yemima Mizrachi, Sunday February 3, 8:15 PM in Ohr HaTorah social hall. Cost is $8 per person.
Taking Care of Ourselves…Body and Soul – The Mikvah Emunah Society of Greater Washington presents the second shiur of a free 3-part learning series for women on Monday, February 4, at 8:00 PM, at the Eizenstat Home – 1111 N. Belgrade Rd. Mrs. Rivkie Frank will discuss "Bringing Hashem into Our Homes & Our Hearts"
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, February 6, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator & leader. Contact Debbie Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
Sulam Bowlathon – Sunday February 10, 7:30 PM, in Bowlero College Park! Join us for a great competition, great food, and a great time to support Sulam! All funds raised by the Bowlathon help Sulam fulfill our vision to ensure that a high quality education is available to children in the Greater Washington area, irrespective of their learning differences. Learn more at www.wizathon.com/sulambowlathon
Chevra Kadisha Zayin Adar Dinner – The Men's and Women's Chevra Kadisha of Greater Washington invites the entire community to a Zayin Adar dinner on Monday, February 11, 2019, recognizing the work of the Chevra. Reservation deadline is February 1. For more information and to make reservations, see: www.chevrakadishagw.org/zayin-adar-dinner.html
An Evening to Benefit Bonei Olam of Greater Washington – Please join us for our inaugural event in the Greater Washington area on Sunday, February 24, at 7:00 PM. Come and learn about a wonderful organization that provides financial assistance for fertility treatments and guides couples through the process. No cost to attend. Go to https://www.boneiolam.org/rsvp_greaterwash to learn more and to RSVP. Refreshments, appetizers and desserts will be served (Pareve and meat). Email email@example.com with any questions. We look forward to seeing you there!
IZUN Financial Education Community Workshop – Sunday, February 24, 10:00 AM – noon, at YISE. IZUN is a resource for families of all income levels that choose to take a forward look at their finances. Our experienced financial educator, Mrs. Laurie Cohen, will discuss key issues relating to budgeting, insurance, home ownership and more. Dr. Michael Kaiser will present tips on talking to your spouse about finances. Babysitting available – please email firstname.lastname@example.org before February 18.
Mike Stern: True Tales from one of our own – Join AMIT and Mike Stern, former Supervisory Special Agent with the FBI, as he talks about his xperiences both at home and while in service in Israel. March 2, 7:30 PM. $18 per person, sponsorship opportunities available. Call 410-484-2223 or visit www.amitchildren.org/midatlantic to register for this exciting event. Refreshments will be served.
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Nazir. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at he Boys Yeshiva. For more info, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos at 10:30 AM.
Learn Mishnah Brurah Hilchos Shabbos in 18 Months – Shiur for men with Rabbi Eli Reingold. Monday through Thursday, 8:00 – 8:45 PM at he Boys Yeshiva. Questions? Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Yad Yehuda's Capital Kosher Pantry needs donations of kosher food items to fill its shelves. To make it simple to donate, we have set up nline "Wish Lists" at Amazon.com, Walmart.com, and Target.com. Much like a wedding registry, our Wish Lists are regularly updated to help he community choose and donate the items that the pantry currently needs. Items are shipped directly to the Capital Kosher Pantry, usually with o shipping fee. Feel free to take advantage of any online sales you may find on relevant pantry items, but please verify that they have reliable kosher supervision. For links to the Pantry Wish Lists, please visit www.yadyehuda.org/pantry-wishlist Please support this important community resource and pass this information to your friends and family! For more information about the Capital Kosher Pantry, visit www.yadyehuda.org/kosher-pantry Thanks so much for your ongoing support!
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
Kemp Mill Village volunteers are now offering services to Village members, including rides for appointments, shopping, and visits to friends and family, help with household tasks, and prescription deliveries. Call the toll free number 1-833-KMV-20902 to request member services or to volunteer.
The Value of Modesty – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for women, based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: gemachexchange.com
Support Group for Women Who Are Caregivers – The Golden Network is forming a new support group for women that are caregivers .This group is geared towards Jewish women whose spouses are living at home or are in a medical facility and are affected by a chronic illness or suffer from a cognitive condition. If you are interested in joining this group please contact: Rabbi Shmuel Leigh at 301-732-1773 or email@example.com, Mrs. Hedy Peyser, MSW, firstname.lastname@example.org or Mrs. Esther Dziadek email@example.com
2019-2020 Online Registration is now open!
Open for children ages 2 to 5 years old (Pre-K)
* Customizable extended care options from 7:30 AM to :00 PM
* Bonus Erev Yom Tov, Chol HaMoed, and Winter Break ini camps
* Quality summer program at same location visit our website: preschool.yise.org
Call 301-593-7365 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or to schedule a tour.
Ask about our special, deeply reduced tuition for incoming two year olds!
YISE Youth Announcements
The YISE Youth Department is thrilled to announce that Rabbi Ariel Levi has joined YISE as Shabbos Groups Coordinator. He will be observing this Shabbos, and moving forward, Rabbi Ari will be supervising all Shabbos youth programming for ages 2 to 4th grade. He has many years of experience working with children and received Semicha and a Masters in Jewish Education from Yeshiva University. If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to the YISE Youth Committee Chairs, Elise Saks at email@example.comÂ or Melissa Miller at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please give Rabbi Ari a warm welcome! He can be reached email@example.com
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Beis Medrash, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds 9:30 AM – end of 8:45 minyan in the youth room behind the Balcony. 1st-4th grade 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM at the Yeshiva. Walking group leaves at 10:00 AM. Girls meet in the main lobby. Boys meet outside the Social Hall. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Sunday February 3 Monday February 4 Tuesday, Feb. 5 – Rosh Chodesh Wednesday, Feb. 6 – Rosh Chodesh Thursday February 7 Friday February 8
Ashkenazi 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:10, 6:35, 7:35, 8:30 6:10, 6:35, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15
Ashkenazi 5:20 5:20 / 7:30 5:20 / 7:30 5:20 / 7:30 5:20 / 7:30 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 5:15 5:15 5:15 5:15 5:15
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 6:19 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:44 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:53 PM
February 8 – 9, 2019 – 4 Adar I 5779
Light Candles by 5:19 – Havdalah 6:20
* Light Candles by 5:19
Ashkenazi: 5:20 Sephardi: 5:15 Nusach Sefard: 5:20
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:15 Sephardi: 5:00 Nusach Sefard: 5:15
* Maariv/Havdalah: 6:20
Shabbos, February 1-2 An Inspirational Shabbos with GWCK
Motzei Shabbos, Feb. 2 Dor L'Dor, 7:15 PM, Social Hall
Wednesday, February 6 Senior Lunch, 12 Noon, Social Hall
Sunday, February 10 Rabbi Walter, "The Making of a Minhag", 9:30 AM
Friday, February 15 Ruach Minyan, 5:30 PM, Large Social Hall
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, February 6 at 12:00 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager