Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
December 30-31, 2016 – 2 Teves 5777 – Parshas Miketz – Chanukah
Light Candles by 4:37 – Havdalah 5:40
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Joey Franco – Mortgage Banker – 301-529-5387.
* Laurie & Stuart Cohen on the birth of grandson, Shalom Aryeh, to their children Chava & Yitzchok Binyamim Bernstein of Baltimore. Mazal Tov also to Shalom Aryeh's six siblings.
* Hannah Gershon on the birth of a great-granddaughter, Shirel Aliza, to Simone & Ari Gershon of Jerusalem. Mazal Tov to big brother, Eliav.
* Amy & Reuven Mizrahi on the engagement of their daughter, Hanna, to Yitzchok Shapiro, son of Feige & Rabbi Yaakov Shapiro of Brooklyn, NY. Mazal Tov also to their siblings, nieces and nephews, Bubbie from Florida, aunts, uncles, cousins, and the entire extended family.
* Aliza & Rabbi Yitzchak Scher on the birth of a son. Mazal Tov to the grandparents, Chana & Rabbi BenZion Berliant, of Woodside, and Roberta & Allan Scher, of Atlanta. The Shalom Zachor will be held at their home 414 Hillsboro Drive from 8:15 PM – 10:15 PM.
* Light Candles by 4:37
Arcola: 3:00, 4:35 University: 4:35 Sephardi: 4:30 Nusach Sefard: 4:35
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
The 9:15 Minyan will meet in the Boys Yeshiva.
Arcola: 2:30, 4:35 University: 4:35 Sephardi: 4:15 Nusach Sefard: 4:35
* Maariv/Havdalah: 5:40
* 8:45 Main and 9:15 Minyanim Rabbi Silver
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Yonatan Zakem
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* 8:00 Minyan – "The Chevra"
* Sephardi Minyan – Aviad Madar
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* 9:15 Minyan – "The 9:15 Group"
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, behind the balcony.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 3:35 PM.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 3:45 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Barry Greengart – Shiur after Mincha at University.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org – will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evening at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM – will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Levy's Shiur for women on The Value of Modesty – based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM in the Large Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network Presents:
* Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women.
* Rabbi Raphael Malka's Mishnah Class for Men, Tuesday mornings, 10:15 AM – 11:00 AM.
* For more information: 301-732-1773 or email@example.com
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women: 613? We Can Appreciate Every One of Them! Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM at University.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Yonatan Zakem at firstname.lastname@example.org or 513-313-4899.
* Men (classes located in the YISE Beis Medrash):
* Monday: 613 with Rabbi Hillel Shaps.
* Tuesday: In The Beginning with Rabbi Zacharia Schwartz.
* Wednesday: Torah Topics with Rabbi Menachem Winter.
* Thursday: Yesodei Hatorah with Rabbi Avraham Sussman.
* Thursday: Inspired Avodah with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher, Kollel Zichron Amram and Rebbe, YGW
* Monday – Thursday: Shivti led by Rabbi Yonatan Zakem, under the guidance of Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman.
* Women (class located in the Small Social Hall):
* Monday: Women of Valor with Mrs. Sara Malka Winter.
YISE Programs and Listings
Dor L'Dor – Family Chevrusah-style learning in a fun environment! Motzei Shabbos, December 31, 7:00 PM, Arcola Social Hall. This week is sponsored by Dr. Dana & Rabbi Joshua Dachman. Open to the entire community! Delicious pizza! Interactive discussions! Raffle of exciting prizes! Lots of fun!
Days of Hallel and Thanks – All are welcome to join the 8:45 Shacharis Minyan on Sunday, January 1, the last day of Chanukah, for a Ruach-filled Hallel.
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish History on Monday, January 2 from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM at 1111 University Blvd. W., apt. 215. Light refreshments will be served. For information, please contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517or email@example.com
How to Talk so Kids will Listen and Listen so Kids will Talk – YISE Shomrai Nursery Parenting Series. A six session workshop to help parents develop life long, close, communicative relationships with their children. Facilitated by Judy Rosenthal, parent educator and consultant, who has worked with parents of young children for over 10 years. 6 sessions beginning January 8. At the home of Judy Rosenthal. Cost: $100 per person / $120 per couple. (Includes: A copy of "How to Talk so Kids will Listen, And Listen so Kids will Talk" by Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish, and class materials). To Register: contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-593-7365.
Joint YISE/KMS Clothing Drive – Sunday, January 22. Looking for gently used clothing and shoes to benefit a Jewish organization called CHANA. Details to follow. Contact Miriam Friedman for more info and to volunteer, email@example.com
YISE Rediscovered Art Auction is scheduled for May. Please ask friends & relatives if they have any artwork to donate. As our YISE members travel to visit family at Chanukah, we hope you'll all remember to ask for art! For information, contact Auction Chairs Sammy Franco 301-649-1755 or Elaine Rubin 301-681-4000.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
YISE Financial Software
Conversion and Statements
As we approach the end of the year there is an opportunity to save on taxes by donating and paying Shul bills by the end of the year. While most YISE members will be receiving their bills shortly, due to complications associated with a software conversion, it is conceivable that not all YISE members will receive their bills in December. If you would like to know the balance on your account please feel free to contact Simi Franco at 301-593-4465, extension 403, or firstname.lastname@example.org As a reminder, donations to YISE can be made online by clicking on the "donate" button at www.yise.or Thank you for your patience during our financial software transition.
Like YISE on Facebook: facebook.com/YIShomraiEmunah
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Social Hall, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Early care for 2-5 year-olds runs from 9:30-10:00. Groups for all ages run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Community Programs and Listings
Mazal Tov to Avital & Dr. Avraham Grunhaus, former YISE members, on the engagement of their son, Eitan Aharon, to Hadas Grinblatt of Bnei Brak. Mazal Tov to all of his sibling: Aviaad, Yisrael, Yechezkel, Rivka, Tova, Tamar, Batsheva and Tzippora.
Condolences to Dr. Richard Englander, Rabbi Marc Englander and Rabbi Alan Englander on the passing of their mother, Edith Englander, former YISE member. Her sons are sitting Shiva in Baltimore through Tuesday morning at Park Gardens (across from Shaarei Zion), 6605 Park Heights Avenue, apartment D1, Baltimore.
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos at 10:30 AM.
Dirshu Daf Yomi B'Halacha on Hilchos Seuda, learn Mishna Brurah with Rabbi Eli Reingold, Monday – Thursday, 8:00 PM – 8:40 PM at the Boys Yeshiva. For information contact him at 301-996-5910 or email@example.com
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Kesuvos. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more information, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Road.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: gemachexchange.com
Parsha Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, December 31, at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 906, at 3:00 PM.
Saving a Life, but at What Risk? Organ Donation in Halacha – Federal Holiday Learning Program for Men with Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum. Monday, January 2. Chavrusa Learning 9:00 AM, Shiur 10:00 AM at the YGW Boys Campus. For more information please contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, January 4, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Workplace Skills Workshop:
* Federal Jobs – Three free webinars–overview, networking, and interviewing. Monday, January 9. Info and register at http://federaljobresults.com/events.htm
* How to Run an Effective Meeting – Free workshop by Scott Schlesinger. Tuesday, January 17, 7:30 PM to 9:00 PM. YISE Small Social Hall. To reserve a seat, please email DMarwick@JobAssist.org
* Library of Congress Summer Interns – The Library of Congress is seeking applicants, through January 27, for its summer intern program, a paid 10-week program for undergraduate and graduate students. More info at https://www.loc.gov/hr/jrfellows/
Camp Shoresh Open House – Sunday, January 15, 1:30 PM – 2:30 PM at 2428 Pleasant View Road, Adamstown, MD 21710. For questions or to RSVP for the Open House, 410-358-8571 or email@example.com or visit www.shoresh.com
An Evening of Magic – Please join Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington for an adult evening of smiles and fun as we dedicate the BCGW Smilemakers Program in memory of Rabbi Yosef Samberg A"H. Sunday, January 29 at 7:30 PM at YISE. Elegant desserts and entertainment by magician Benjamin Nemzer. $36 per person.Sponsorship opportunities are available. For more information contact BCGW at 202-331-4481 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Yad Yehuda of Greater Washington – In addition to its food assistance initiatives, Yad Yehuda provides a wide range of emergency relief programs to our brethren throughout the Greater Washington area. For those who qualify, assistance may be provided to avoid eviction or the cut off of utilities, to obtain interest-free loans, or to receive a dignified burial. Yad Yehuda's wide range of services support hundreds of individuals and families, and are essential to our communal safety net. To learn more and to donate, please go to http://www.yadyehuda.org/financial-assistance.html
"O Chanukah, O Chanukah, come light the Menorah," … and please, take the time to consider making a food contribution to the Capital Kosher Pantry of Yad Yehuda. Let's spread the light of Chanukah by sharing our joy with those who will benefit from our thoughtfulness and generosity. The CKP welcomes donations of kosher, non-perishable food items (well within the use-by date) in factory sealed, non-breakable containers CKP collection boxes can be found at community Shul and school locations.
Franco Foundation End-of-Year Appeal – Since it was launched 19 years ago, the Franco Foundation has been helping, in communities across the Greater Washington region, hundreds of individuals and families in very tight circumstances, unemployed, facing eviction, or otherwise unable to make ends meet. 100 percent of your donation goes to those in need. Send your donations to The Franco Foundation, 613 Bromley Street, Silver Spring, MD 20902 or use paypal to email@example.com
Mikvah Emunah Society Appeal – It's time to renew your Mikvah membership. And if you're not a member – please join the important work of the Mikvah Emunah Society. Your membership donation of $360 or above helps us sustain our facilities, create educational programs, allows your family to use the Mikvah with no usage fee for 2017 and is tax-deductible. Please respond with a contribution today by sending your check (made payable to Mikvah Emunah Society of Greater Washington) to MES, P.O. Box 1714, Silver Spring, MD 20915 or online contributions can be made at www.mikvahemunah.com
Silver Spring Eruv Association Appeal
Please help maintain the Eruv by sending in your annual contribution. Your donations are the only source of funding for the Eruv. The suggested amount is $54 per household. (More or less is also accepted.) Checks should be made payable to "YISE Eruv Fund" to be tax deductible. They should be mailed directly to SSEA at (NEW ADDRESS) 707 Lamberton Dr. Silver Spring, MD 20902. For more information, visit www.yise.org/eruv or contact firstname.lastname@example.org
As you contemplate your year-end giving, please consider YISE as a worthy candidate for your gift.
The Week Ahead
Sunday, Jan. 1 – Chanukah / New Years Day Monday, Jan. 2 – New Years Observed Tuesday, January 3 Wednesday, January 4 Thursday, January 5 Friday, January 6
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 7:10 7:15 7:15 7:10 7:15
Arcola 4:45 4:45 4:45 / 7:30 4:45 / 7:30 4:45 / 7:30 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 4:40 4:40 4:40 4:40 4:40
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 6:30 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:49 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:45 PM
January 6-7, 2017 – 9 Teves 5777
Light Candles by 4:43 – Havdalah 5:46
* Light Candles by 4:43
Arcola: 4:45 University: 4:45 Sephardi: 4:40 Nusach Sefard: 4:45
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 4:40 University: 4:40 Sephardi: 4:20 Nusach Sefard: 4:40
* Maariv/Havdalah: 5:46
Motzei Shabbos, Dec. 31 Dor L'Dor, 7:00 PM, YISE Social Hall
Wednesday, January 4 Senior Lunch, 12:00 Noon, YISE Social Hall – Yellowstone: America's First National Park
Sunday, January 22 Joint YISE/KMS Clothing Drive
Shabbos, February 3-4 An Inspirational Shabbos with GWCK, featuring Simcha Leiner
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, January 4 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closed Monday, Tuesday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM,
Friday 9:00 AM-1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager