Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
December 19-20, 2014 – 28 Kislev 5775 – Parshas Miketz
Shabbos Chanukah – Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 4:30 – Havdalah 5:33
* Light Candles by 4:30
Arcola: 3:00, 4:25 University: 4:25 Sephardi: 4:20 Nusach Sefard: 4:25
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 4:25 University: 4:25 Sephardi: 4:10 Nusach Sefard: 4:25
* Maariv/Havdalah: 5:33
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Silver
* University Rabbi Josh Blaustein
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – The Breslers in honor of their children and grandchildren.
* 8:00 Minyan – Simin & Hillel Askarinam in honor of the Yahrzeit of Hillel's father, Elazar ben Nisan.
* University – "Mevorchim Hachodesh"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 3:25 PM.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 3:40 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Beinish Ginsburg – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Tzivia & Rabbi Sam Bramson on their special anniversary.
* Sharona & Shlomo Katz on the birth of their first grandson, born to Elky & Eliezer Katz of Yerushalayim. Mazal Tov to the first-time great-grandparents Arline & Dr. Irving Katz and Rabbi & Mrs. Sam Vogel and to the aunts and uncles, including Nadine & Menashe Katz.
* Leah Israel on the passing of her husband, Neil Israel, and to Rabbi Ari Israel on the passing of his father. The funeral took place in Israel on Tuesday. Ari Israel will return to Silver Spring on Sunday, December 21, and he will be observing Shiva from 2:00 PM to 5:30 PM and 6:15 PM to 11:00 PM at his parents' home, 712 South Belgrade Rd. Minyan schedule: Mincha/Maariv on Sunday 4:35, Shacharis on Monday 7:00.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Haftoros Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash – will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Silver's Halacha Shiur for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM, in the Social Hall, part of the Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah.We will be discussing "Halachos of Berachos."
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM – will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network's Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or email@example.com
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah – Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the Social Hall; Maariv to follow. Choose from classes:
* Gemara Kop with R' Nachum Schwartz
* Becoming an Inspired Eved Hashem – Alei Shur (R' Shlomo Wolbe) with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher
* Iyunim L'Halacha with R' Moshe Chaim Blate
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM at University.
* GWCK Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency, Thursdays at 8:00 PM in the small Social Hall.
The YISE community joins with Jewish communities around the World in expressing our thanks to G-d for the liberation of Alan Gross. Whether it has been through prayers recited, letters written, or rallies attended, so many of us have expended much effort on his behalf. We also express our gratitude to the United States government, which has yet again proven its concern for each and every one of its citizens. How fortunate we are to live in such a country.
YISE Programs and Listings
Dor L'Dor – Family Chevrusah-style learning in a fun environment! This Motzei Shabbos, December 20, 6:45 PM, Arcola Social Hall. Open to the entire community! Delicious pizza! Interactive discussions! Raffle of exciting prizes! Lots of fun!
Lost and Found – Unclaimed clothing and other items have been collected in the downstairs coat room. They will be removed on Monday, January 4.
Chanukah Parade at the Arcola Rehab – Come join Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington on Sunday, December 21, from 10:45 AM – 11:30 AM at 901 Arcola Ave. Co-sponsored by YISE, KMS, and Berman Hebrew Academy. Wear a costume or a funny hat if you have one. Meet in the step-up dining room. All ages are welcome and Upper School students can earn community service hours. To sign up please contact Miriam Friedman at firstname.lastname@example.org or just show up.
Volunteer at A Wider Circle (Distribution Center) – 9159 Brookville Road, Thursday, December 25 from 9:00 AM – 11:00 AM, sponsored by the YISE and KMS Chesed Committees. Limited to the first 15 people who RSVP. For more information and to RSVP, please contact Miriam Friedman at email@example.com Please fill out a waiver if this is your first time at A.W.C.: www.awidercircle.org/get-involved/volunteer/ Upper School students can receive community service hours. All ages may volunteer.
Halacha Shiur for Women – Rabbi Rosenbaum will continue his monthly women's Halacha Shiur. The next one will be Sunday, December 28, at 8:30 PM at the home of Bayla Goodman, 11527 Monticello Avenue. The topic will be "Halachos of Davening."
Judaica and Seforim Sale – Wednesday, December 31, and Thursday, January 1, large side of the YISE Social Hall. Come fill in the gaps in your library and find great gifts as well. Bring your Shaimos for proper disposal for a nominal fee.
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish History on Monday, January 5, from 1:30 PM – 2:30 PM at 1111 University Blvd. W., apt. 215. Light refreshments will be served. For information, please contact Miriam Friedman 301-754-1517 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Clothing Drive – Sunday, January 11, 10:00 AM – 1:00 PM, at KMS, co-sponsored by YISE and KMS to replenish local area Gemachs. Gently used shoes, clothing and outerwear can be dropped off at 903 Holborn Street starting Sunday, January 4 to January 11 at 9:30 AM or dropped off at KMS after 10:00 AM on January 11. To volunteer to help or for more information please contact Miriam Friedman at email@example.com
Food for Thought: Developing a Healthier Relationship with Food for You and Your Family – Sunday, January 11, at 8:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall. Join us for this YISE Youth sponsored parent education workshop. Alana Riss Fine, PhD, psychologist, will speak about creating a healthy food environment in your home. Come and bring your friends. For more information, contact Debbie Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html If you have tapes of Shiurim to add to the site, contact Rabbi Yisroel Anemer at email@example.com or give tapes to Nechemia Mond.
Rabbi Rosenbaum is available by phone (no meetings are scheduled) from 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM, Monday through Friday, barring extenuating circumstances. Of course people can call at any time and either speak to him or leave a message. His office number is 301-593-4465, ext. 405.
The Haimish Kiddush Group was created in 2010 to ensure that there will be a kiddush following the 8:45 Minyan every Shabbos. The Group would like to invite you to join us in 2015. The cost to become a member is $100. You can also choose to be set up with automatic renewal that will charge you each year for the Haimish Kiddush Group. If you are interested in joining or have any questions, please contact Raph Ginsburg at firstname.lastname@example.org
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill – YISE's Chesed Committee has a program to help members undergoing serious medical crises. If you or someone you know needs help with meals, carpools, childcare, etc., or to volunteer, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org . If you are unable to cook a meal or help out, but would like to make a donation to Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill, please contact Simi Franco in the office.
Help make a Minyan! – We are looking for volunteers who would like to participate in the Mitzvah of helping to make a Minyan three or four times per year. We are putting together a list in order to form a rotation to help the University Blvd. Shul make a Mincha/Maariv Minyan on Fridays and Shabbos days when they anticipate a shortfall. Please contact Melvin Sassoon at email@example.com to be part of this endeavor.
Do the Mitzvah of Bikur Cholim! Visit people in Kemp Mill who would greatly appreciate it. Community Service credit may be earned as well. For more information, please contact Miriam Friedman at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, Shabbos 10:30 AM, and Sunday at 6:30 AM.
Tehillim – Wednesday mornings. Contact Arleeta Lerner for details 301-649-0552.
Chanukkah Women's Shiur with Rabbi Reingold – This Shabbos, December 20 from 3:00 PM – 4:00 PM at the home of Meera & Stephan Miller, 1015 Arcola Avenue.
Chanukah Coin Wrap – Join Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington on Sunday, December 21 at 11:45 AM at YISE. Bring your full BCGW Tzedakah boxes and loose change and help wrap the coins. See how your small change adds up to make a BIG difference. Enjoy jelly donuts in honor of Chanukah and go home with your own bag of wrapped chocolate coins! For more information contact BCGW at 202-331-4481.
Toastmasters' Meeting – Will next meet on Wednesday, January 7.
Halchic Innovations In Geirus? Part 1 – The Federal Holiday Learning Program for Men with Rabbi Eli Reingold presented by the Kollel Zichron Amram of the Yeshiva of Greater Washington-Tiferes Gedaliah. Thursday, December 25. Chavrusa 9:00 AM, Shiur 10:00 AM at the YGW-Tiferes Gedaliah Boys Campus. For more information please contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910. Part 2 will be given on January 1.
Hakamat Ha-Matzeiva (Unveiling) for Beverly Kolb Brinn A"H, Thursday, December 25, 1:00 PM, at Mt. Lebanon Cemetery.
Professional Clothing and Coat Drive – Do you have items that are in good condition but could use a new home? Donate today. Contact Adam Bashein for more information: email@example.com
Rabbi Benjamin Ginsburg has just published his latest Sefer, an English book on Sefer Bereishis. If interested, please contact Raph Ginsburg at Raphael.Ginsburg@verizon.net
Sulam 100K Matching Grant Challenge – Double your contribution to Sulam! For every new or increased donation received through the end of December 2014, donors will match dollar for dollar up to $100,000. Visit our website, www.sulam.org and make your contribution today. You can make a difference in a child's life.
Shomrim Needed – Paid Shomrim needed to serve in local funeral homes. Please call Howard Katz 301-933-3033.
The Good Book for 2015 – Listing members of the Washington area Jewish community, is in preparation. YISE members wishing to be included or to make changes in their listing should contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 410-358-6068. The Good Book will include listing requests and changes until January 15.
Chanukah Appeal – Through its Tomchei Shabbos program, which distributes scrip for use at Shalom's, the Yehuda Mond Foundation provides a safety net for over 150 individuals in the Greater Washington region. Your much-needed tax-deductible donations go entirely to provide funds to those assisted; contribute at www.tomcheishabbosgw.com
Franco Foundation Appeal – As the end of the year approaches The Franco Foundation's end-of-tax year appeal is a perfect way to help others within are community who struggle each day to make ends meet. Please send your donations to The Franco Foundation, 613 Bromley Street or you may make your donation through Paypal to email@example.com
Job Assist Events:
* Free Webinars on Federal Jobs – Sponsored by Kathryn Troutman. (1) Navigate the Schedule A Hiring Process–for Persons with Disabilities. Monday, January 5, 11:00 AM to 11:30 AM. (2) 10 Steps to a Federal Job, Tuesday, January 6, 12:00 noon to 12:30 PM. (3) 7 Tips and Tricks for Federal Job Applications, Wednesday, January 7, 7:00 PM to 7:30 PM. Info and register at www.resume-place.com
SAVE THE DATE:
YISE Annual Banquet
Sunday, March 1, 2015
Honorees: Lianne & Theo Heller
and Youth Honorees:
Yoni Broth, Daniel Ginsburg, and Hadassah Solomson
To volunteer to serve on a Banquet Committee, please contact Elise Saks at firstname.lastname@example.org
Like YISE on Facebook: facebook.com/YIShomraiEmunah
The Week Ahead
Sunday, Dec. 21 – Chanukah Monday, Dec. 22 – Chanukah / Rosh Chodesh Tuesday, Dec. 23 – Chanukah / Rosh Chodesh Wed., Dec. 24 – Chanukah Thursday, December 25 Friday, December 26
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:10, 6:35, 7:35, 8:30 6:10, 6:35, 7:35, 8:30 6:10, 6:35, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
University 8:00 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Sephardi 7:30 6:10, 7:10 6:10, 7:10 6:10, 7:10 6:10, 7:10 6:20, 7:15
Arcola 4:35 4:35 4:35 4:35 4:35 See Shabbos schedule
University N/A 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv)
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 6:28 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:44 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:40 PM
December 26-27, 2014 – 5 Tevet 5775
Light Candles by 4:33 – Havdalah 5:37
* Light Candles by 4:33
Arcola: 4:35 University: 4:35 Sephardi: 4:30 Nusach Sefard: 4:35
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 4:15 University: 4:30 Sephardi: 4:00 Nusach Sefard: 4:30
* Maariv/Havdalah: 5:37
Motzei Shabbos, Dec. 20 Dor L'Dor, 6:45 PM, Arcola Social Hall
Shabbos, December 27 Special Shalosh Seudos sponsored by
Atara & Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum in honor
of the birth of their daughter, Rachel.
Sunday, December 28 Halacha Shiur for Women
Wed., Dec. 31 / Thu. Jan. 1 Judaica and Seforim Sale
Friday, January 2 Ruach Minyan, Arcola Social Hall
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, December 24 at 12 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director