Download the December 14-15 Shabbos Shorts [PDF]
Sign up to get the Shabbos Shorts emailed to you each week
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
December 14-15, 2012 – 2 Tevet 5773 – Parshas Miketz – Shabbos Chanukah
Light Candles by 4:28 – Havdalah 5:31
* Early Mincha 3:00 (Arcola)
* Light Candles by 4:28
* Mincha 4:20 (Sephardi), 4:25 (Arcola & Univ.)
* Ruach Minyan 4:50 (Kabbalas Shabbos & Maariv ONLY)
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 4:10 (Sephardi), 4:25
* Maariv/Havdalah 5:31 – followed by Chanukah candles
* 8:00 & 8:45 Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – Chaim Neustadter on his mother's Yahrzeit, Goldie Neustadter, Sara Golda Bas Harav Chaim Eliezer Altar.
* 8 AM Minyan – "The Chevra"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – Friends of Gita & Charlie Siegman, in honor and recognition of their friendship and contribution to our community, and co-sponsored by the Siegman children in honor of their parents and YISE.
* R' Pinchas Werner – Shiur at 8:15 AM.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharis.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 3:25 PM.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 3:25 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Parsha Shiur will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha at University.
* Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
A Free-From-Fuss Shabbos Dinner With Us!
Friday, December 21, 9th of Tevet. In the Large Social Hall of YISE! Delicious food catered by O'Fishel. Delightful company. Z'mirot and Divrei Torah. Cost for members: $16/adult; $8/ages 3-9; children 2 and under for free! Cost for non-members: $18/adult; $10/ages 3-9; children 2 and under for free! Sponsor (includes 2 meals): $50. A group of individuals in the community have expressed great interest that all feel comfortable attending this event, and none be inhibited by cost. Therefore, all are welcome to RSVP free of charge. Anyone who feels able to donate the suggested amount or a portion thereof is encouraged to do so. Additional sponsors are still welcome. Reservations must be received by December 16. Go to www.yise.org to make your reservation online or contact Adam Bashein at email@example.com or 301-943-4370. Payment may be made online or send checks, made payable to YISE, to Adam Bashein, 818 Lamberton Drive. For more information, contact Adam.
* The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp.
* Please join us this week for Special Chanukah Themed groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade meet in the Small Beis Medrash; Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10 AM-11:15 AM. Please pick child(ren) up promptly.
* The Youth Minyan Kiddush is sponsored by the Youth Minyan in honor of Chanukah.
* Arleeta & Rabbi Dr. Ivan Lerner on the engagement of their granddaughter Adina Lerner, daughter of Alyson & Rabbi Dr. Daniel Lerner of Baltimore, to Shuie Goldstein, son of Devorah & Yaakov Goldstein. Mazal Tov also to grandparents Joan & Dr. Jonathan Pincus of Washington, DC and great-grandmother, Dena Gerber of Baltimore, as well as to the extended Goldstein and Schwartzbaum Families.
* Melissa Fuchs on the loss of her mother, Stephanie Prezant. The funeral took place in Florida on Thursday. Melissa will be sitting Shiva in Florida through Sunday and will be returning to sit the remainder of Shiva, Monday through Wednesday morning, at her home 11722 Fulham St.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the Women's Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mishna Brurah Shiur for Men, Mondays at 8:30 PM, at his home. For more information: firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM-6:45 AM, Arcola Social Hall.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Zichron Gedaliah Bais Medrash for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays after the 7:15 PM Maariv minyan at University.
* Greater Washington Community Kollel:
* Linas Hatzedek will not take place this week.
* Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster independent Gemara proficiency. Thursday evenings at 8:00 PM.
YISE Programs and Listings
Friday night Oneg Shabbos with Rabbi Rosenbaum is December 14, 8:00 PM, at the home of Chava & David Katzoff, 1111 Arcola Ave. This week's person of interest is Yehudah. Light refreshments provided by the host family.
Chanukah Toy Drive – YISE Sisterhood is collecting toys to benefit Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington for distribution to local patients, with a percentage going from our community to Hurricane Sandy victims in NJ and NY. New, unwrapped toys can be put in the marked box in the YISE lobby. For more information contact Stephanie Frumkin at SFrumkin@yise.org. Tizku L'Mitzvot!
Sanctuary Lighting – The blinking lights in the sanctuary are due to a ballast problem. Unfortunately, after the front lights were fixed several other ballasts went bad. As soon as the electrician has the supplies, all of the ballasts will be replaced in the next week or two. Shortly after the 1st of the year, a lighting consultant will help us to design new lighting for the sanctuary. Our goal is replace the current lighting with something more attractive and brighter in the next 3-4 months.
Shul Directory 2013 in Preparation – A new Shul directory will be published in January 2013. If you have changed your address or phone number, or want to list your email address, please notify the Shul at email@example.com. Also, if members of your family have made aliyah since the last directory or have moved while in Israel, please send the new info for the Israel Connection in the YISE Directory to firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline is Wednesday, Dec. 19 at 5:00 PM.
The Haimish Kiddush Group is starting its fourth year in 2013. The Group would like to invite you to join us in this wonderful endeavor. The cost to become a member is $100. If you are interested in joining or have any questions, please contact Raph Ginsburg at email@example.com.
The 8 AM Minyan Kiddush is setting up a rotating system to assist the kiddush setup and cleanup. We need four teams of two for each task (sixteen people total). To volunteer please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job Assist Events:
* Social Media Marketing. Web-based seminar on "Using Photos for Content Strategy and Social Media Marketing" on Tue, Dec. 18, 7:00 PM-8:30 PM. This OU webinar will not be archived for later viewing. Info and register (required) at www.oujobs.org.
* 2-Day Job Search Boot Camp. Highly recommended free workshop on social networking, resumes, interviewing, and more. Wed-Thu, Dec. 19-20, 9:00 AM-4:00 PM, 200 Wood Hill Road, Rockville. Presented by JSSA. Info and register (required) at www.jssa.org.
Israel Bonds – YISE's leadership wants to thank our members who demonstrated their support by investing in Israel bonds during this year's High Holiday Appeal. We want to encourage those of you who have not yet purchased an Israel bond to do so, because the appeal will not be complete until we have reached 100 percent participation. Please contact our local Israel Bonds office at 301-654-6575 x1 or go to israelbonds.com to send your message of solidarity and support by investing in Israel bonds online.
All the news that fits – The Shabbos Shorts is primarily a vehicle for informing YISE members of upcoming Shul events, Shiurim, programs, schedules, etc. In the remaining space, we provide a sampling of the many activities in the surrounding, vibrant Jewish community. At Chanukah (and other holidays) there are just too many special Shiurim & programs for us to list them all. We try to offer a wide range and to include as many organizations as possible. To increase the odds that your item will be included, make sure to email it to email@example.com before the weekly deadline at noon on Wednesday.
DON'T GET TOWED! DON'T PARK IN OUR OLD LOT!
Parkland Pool has closed the gate to their parking lot. YISE members must park by Ben Yehuda, not by Parkland pool, or risk being towed. Details are available at: http://www.yise.org/parking-2012.pdf
Community Programs and Listings
Avos Ubonim (Father Son Learning) – Motzei Shabbos, December 15, 7:00 PM-8:00 PM at the YGW Boys Campus. Learning will be followed by pizza, raffles & prizes. Sponsored by the Mond families, L'ilui Nishmas Yehudah Aryeh ben Yehoshua Yakir.
Melvin Zeltser z"l Girls Basketball Invitational – Saturday night, December 15. We welcome teams from Bruria, Kohelet and Maimonides. Come cheer the Cougars! Melvin J. Berman Hebrew Academy, Diana & Michael David Epstein Gymnasium, 13300 Arctic Avenue, Rockville. Games start at 6:30 pm on Saturday night. For a more detailed schedule or to sponsor, visit http://www.mjbha.org.
Bishul Yisroel: Cooking the Jewish Way- The Housekeeper Dilemma – presented by YGW WAA-GW Chapter – a shiur for women with Rabbi Eli Reingold. Monday, December 17, 8:30 PM at the YGW Boys' Campus, 1216 Arcola Avenue. For more information please contact Rabbi Reingold, 301-996-5910.
Weekday morning Shiurim with Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Rabbi Moshe Alshich Hakadosh commentaries on the Torah from 8:45 AM-9:45 AM and in-depth Gemara Shiur on Mesechta Pesachim including Meforshim from 9:45 AM-10:45 AM. For more information 240-423-8810. Shiurim at 609 Hyde Rd.
Rabbi Benjamin Ginsburg has written his second book in a series dealing with the Jewish holidays. This book is about Chanukah and is written in English. Please contact Faith Ginsburg at firstname.lastname@example.org if you'd like to purchase a copy.
Do you know someone who is ill and could use support? Please contact Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington for assistance or to find out how to join our team. 202-331-4481 or email@example.com. We can assist with meals, transportation, visits, equipment, hospitality, guidance and small medical bills. All services are free and confidential.
Don't Waste it – Planning a Simcha? Mazal Tov! What do you plan to do with any left-over catered food from certified kosher stores or caterers? The Yehudah Mond Foundation can distribute your extra food with local families who have a need. To donate, call, or have your caterer contact firstname.lastname@example.org, or 301-537-7158.
The Week Ahead
Sunday, Dec. 16, Chanukah Monday, December 17 Tuesday, December 18 Wednesday, December 19 Thursday, December 20 Friday, December 21
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
University 8:00 6:15 6:30 6:30 6:15 6:30
Sephardi 7:30 6:05 6:15 6:15 6:05 6:15
Arcola 4:35 4:35 4:35 4:35 4:35 See Shabbos schedule
University 4:35 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv)
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 6:27 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:42 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:38 PM
December 21-22, 2012 – 9 Tevet 5773
Light Candles by 4:31 – Havdalah 5:35
* Light Candles by 4:31
* Mincha 4:30 (Sephardi), 4:35 (Arcola & Univ.)
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 4:15 (Sephardi), 4:30
* Maariv/Havdalah 5:35
Friday, Dec. 14 Ruach Minyan (Kabbalas Shabbos & Maariv ONLY)
Wednesday, Dec. 19 Senior Lunch, 12 Noon, Arcola Social Hall
Friday, Dec. 21 Post-Chanukah Dinner – Reservations Required
Saturday, Dec. 22 Dor L'Dor, 7:00 PM, Arcola Social Hall
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, Dec. 19, at 12 noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday thru Thursday, 9:00 AM-5:00 PM and Friday 9:00 AM-1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Dr. Marc Katz – President
Alan Zimmerman – Executive Director