Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
December 15-16, 2017 – 28 Kislev 5778 – Parshas Mikeitz – Chanukah – Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 4:28 – Havdalah 5:32
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Vivian Kirshenbaum with Weichert Realtors Office: 301-681-0560 Cell: 301-318-1313
* Debbie & Marc Katz and Dr. Werner Cohen on the birth of a grandson and great-grandson, Gedalya, born to Nechama & Ezra Katz of Baltimore. Mazal Tov also to Gedalya's brothers, uncles, aunts, and cousins.
* Keren & Ira Rabin on the Bat Mitzvah of their daughter Avigayil. Mazal Tov to grandparents Carol & Lionel Rabin and aunt and uncle Esther & Joseph Rabin.
* Miriam & Edwin Zaghi on the Bar Mitzvah of their son, Arel. Mazal Tov to siblings Eliana, Erez, and Edan, and to grandparents Sheila & Chaim Leibtag, Yehuda Zaghi, and Soraya Azarian. Mazal Tov to all of the aunts, uncles and cousins.
* Light Candles by 4:28
Ashkenazi: 3:00, 4:25 Ruach: 4:45 (Kabbalos Shabbos) Sephardi: 4:20 Nusach Sefard: 4:25
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
The Sephardi Minyan will meet in the Large Social Hall.
The 8:00 Minyan will meet in the Large Beis Medrash.
The 9:15 Minyan will merge with the 8:45 Main Minyan.
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 4:25 Sephardi: 4:05 Nusach Sefard: 4:25
* Maariv/Havdalah: 5:32
* Sephardi Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 and 8:45 Main Minyanim Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* Sephardi Minyan -The Zaghi family in honor of Arel's Bar Mitzvah.
* 8:45 Main / 9:15 Minyanim – "Joint Kiddush"
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – will not meet this week.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, lower lobby.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 3:35 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Shiur after Mincha.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evenings at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact email@example.com
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM – will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 7:00 AM – 7:45 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network Presents:
* Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for Men and Women, Tuesday mornings 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM.
* Rabbi Raphael Malka's Mishnah Class for Men, Tuesday mornings, 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM.
* For more information: 301-732-1773 or firstname.lastname@example.org
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women: 613? We Can Appreciate Every One of Them! Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Meseches Bava Basra, Wednesdays at 7:00 PM in the Social Hall.
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for Men and Women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sundays, 8:00 PM, in the Social Hall.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Yonatan Zakem at email@example.com or 513-313-4899.
* Men (classes located in the YISE Beis Medrash):
* Monday: Parsha Analysis with Rabbi Hillel Shaps.
* Tuesday: Torah Topics with Rabbi Menachem Winter.
* Wednesday: Reading Responsa with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman.
* Thursday: Yesodei Hatorah with Rabbi Avraham Sussman.
* Thursday: Inspired Avodah with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher.
* Monday – Thursday: Shivti led by Rabbi Yonatan Zakem, under the guidance of Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman.
* Women (class located in the Small Social Hall):
* Monday: Horeb: The Power of Mitzvos with Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – will not meet this week.
YISE Programs and Listings
THIS WEEK: Ruach Minyan – Friday, December 15, starting with Kabbalos Shabbos at 4:45 PM, in the Social Hall. There will be a special children's story telling program. So bring the family and invite your friends. It's going to be Gevaldic! For more information contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Dor L'Dor – Family Chevrusah-style learning in a fun environment! Motzei Shabbos, December 16, 7:00 PM, Social Hall. This Dor l'Dor is sponsored by Karen & Robert Heyman in memory of Karen's father, Dr. David Lowitz. Open to the entire community! Delicious pizza! Interactive discussions! Raffle of exciting prizes! Lots of fun!
YISE Office Communique – The end-of-year statements have been mailed out. The end of the calendar year is a good time to get in last minute tax deductions.
Mystery Matana YISE Chanukah Party – Organized by the 9:15 Minyan. Tuesday, December 19, 7:00 PM – 9:00 PM, YISE Social Hall. Refreshments at 7:00 PM. Gift bidding at 8:30 PM. Cost: A wrapped gift or $10 per person at the door. Questions or to RSVP: RSVP@yise.org
Senior Lunch – Wednesday, December 20, 12:00 Noon, Social Hall. Dr. Alan Breitler will speak about Understanding the Moon's Orbit.
Taharat Hamishpacha Refresher Course for Married Women – Taught by Mrs. Sharon Freundel. Part 1: Sunday, January 7, 7:00 PM – 8:00 PM. Part 2: Sunday, February 11, 7:00 PM – 8:00 PM. YISE Social Hall.
SAVE THE DATE: Bug Checking Seminar – Hands-on presentation with Rabbi Sholom Tendler of the STAR-K. Wednesday, January 10, 8:00 PM – 9:30 PM, YISE Social Hall. Thrip cloths available for $7. This program is open to men and women.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Beis Medrash, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the Balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Early care for 2-5 year-olds runs from 9:30 AM – 10:00 AM. Groups for all ages run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
A Chanukah Packed with Flare! Presented by YISE Youth and YISE Nursery. Sunday, December 17, 10:30 AM – 12:30 PM, YISE Social Hall. Cost: $5.00 per child (2 and older) $25.00 max per family. Pizza $2.50 per slice and bottled water $1.00 each. 30 ft Inflatable Obstacle Course 10:30 AM – 12:30 PM. Chanukah Sing-Along with Jeremy Gaisin: 11:00 AM – 11:30 AM. Chanukiah building with YISE Nursery: 11:30 AM – 12:30 PM. Entry fee includes Sufganiyot (one per person) (Dairy) (please contact email@example.com if you keep Cholov Yisroel).
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos at 10:30 AM.
Learn Mishnah Brurah Hilchos Shabbos in 18 Months – Shiur for men with Rabbi Eli Reingold. Monday through Thursday, 8:00 PM – 8:45 PM at the Boys Yeshiva. Questions? Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Nedarim. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more information, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit www.dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Road.
The Value of Modesty – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for women, based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM, 609 Hyde Road.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: gemachexchange.com
Rabbi Marvin Goldman's Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, December 16 at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 516, at 3:00 PM.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, December 20, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Kidney Appeal – A member of the local Jewish community has been diagnosed with a deteriorating kidney condition. A year ago, his doctors advised him that a transplant of a kidney from a living donor could restore his normal kidney function and extend his life. To date, no viable donor has been found. If you would consider helping save a life by donating a kidney, please contact Aron Trombka at 301-681-3025 or email@example.com for more information.
The YISE Nursery School seeks a new Director. For more details about the position and requirements, visit www.yise.org/jobs. For questions or to apply (resume and cover letter), please contact the Nursery School Director Search Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org
Are you a Member of The Mikvah Emunah Society?
We know the Mitzvah of Taharat Hamishpacha (family purity) is private, but community support of the Mikvah is not! According to the Talmud, the importance of having a Mikvah ranks even higher in Jewish law than that of having a synagogue. (Megilla 27a) Please support the Mikvah Emunah Society in its important work by becoming a member in 2018.
Your membership donation of $360 or above allows you to use the Mikvah with no usage fee for 2018 and is tax-deductible. But more importantly, your membership contribution allows the Mikvah to remain an integral component of Jewish life and the Jewish community. Please respond today by sending a check to Mikvah Emunah Society of Greater Washington, P.O. Box 1714, Silver Spring, MD 20915. Online contributions can be made at www.mikvahemunah.com/Membership. Your support is greatly needed and appreciated.
The Week Ahead
Sunday, Dec. 17 Chanukah Monday, Dec. 18 – Chanukah/Rosh Chodesh Tuesday, Dec. 19 – Chanukah/Rosh Chodesh Wed., Dec. 20 – Chanukah Thursday, December 21 Friday, December 22
Ashkenazi 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:10, 6:35, 7:35, 8:30 6:10, 6:35, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:40, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 6:15 6:15 6:15 6:15 6:15
Ashkenazi 4:35 4:35 / 7:30 4:35 / 7:30 4:35 / 7:30 4:35 / 7:30 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 4:30 4:30 4:30 4:30 4:30
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 6:27 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:42 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:38 PM
December 22-23, 2017 – 5 Tevet 5778
Light Candles by 4:31 – Havdalah 5:35
* Light Candles by 4:31
Ashkenazi: 4:35 Sephardi: 4:30 Nusach Sefard: 4:35
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 4:30 Sephardi: 4:10 Nusach Sefard: 4:30
* Maariv/Havdalah: 5:35
Friday, December 15 Ruach Minyan, 4:45 PM
Shabbos, December 16 Bar Mitzvah of Arel Zaghi, Sephardi Minyan
Motzei Shabbos, Dec. 16 Dor L'Dor, 7:00 PM, Social Hall
Sunday, December 17 Chanukah Carnival, 10:30 AM – 12:30 PM
Tuesday, December 19 Mystery Matana YISE Chanukah Party, 7:00 PM – 9:00 PM, Social Hall
Wednesday, December 20 Senior Lunch, 12:00 Noon, Social Hall
Thursday, December 21 YISE Board Meeting, 7:45 PM, Small Beis Medrash
Motzei Shabbos, Dec. 30 Dor L'Dor, 6:45 PM, Social Hall
Wednesday, January 10 Bug Checking Seminar, 8:00 PM
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, December 20 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager