Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
December 7 – 8, 2018 – 30 Kislev 5779 – Parshas Mikeitz – Rosh Chodesh – Chanukah
Light Candles by 4:27 – Havdalah 5:30
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Raph Ginsburg in honor of Arnie Sherman. Thank you, Arnie, for all of your assistance in enabling me to say Kaddish at Mincha for my father in the Bethesda area. You not only are a consistent member of the Bethesda minyan, you literally drove me to the BECO minyan to show me how to go there when necessary. Words cannot express how much your help has meant to me.
* Cheryl & Michael Gabai on the engagement of their daughter, Dassy, to Adin Diamond, son of Leva & Dr. David Diamond of Long Beach, NY.
* Ellyn Tanenberg on the marriage of her daughter, Jenny Fogel, to Aaron Dovid Cochran. The couple resides in Baltimore.
* Light Candles by 4:27
Ashkenazi: 3:00, 4:25 Sephardi: 4:20 Nusach Sefard: 4:25
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 4:25 Sephardi: 4:10 Nusach Sefard: 4:25
* Shabbos Ends: 5:30
* Sephardi Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:45 Main Minyan, 9:15 Rabbi Silver
* 8:00 Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – Dr. Herman and Mrs. Rosalyn Efron in honor of our caring, devoted and awesome children, Dr. Rachel Efron, Dr. Adam Efron and Professor Noah Efron.
* Sephardi Minyan – Cheryl & Michael Gabai in honor of their new granddaughter, Rakefet Menucha Neiman, and the engagement of their daughter, Dassy, to Adin Diamond, son of Leva & Dr. David Diamond of Long Beach, NY.
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* 9:15 Minyan – Eric Golman and friends in honor of Rabbi K, Rabbi Zalman and the entire MEOR family for their tremendous work on campus at the University of Maryland!
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, after Hashkamah Minyan, lower lobby
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 3:40 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self- improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, will take place this week in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for men & women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesdays at 7:30 PM. For more details, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* GWCK Sunday Kollel B runch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM, will not take place this week.
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for men & women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sundays at 8:00 PM, will not take place this week.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, email@example.com, 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Shaps – On The Same Page
* Tuesdays: Rabbi Winter – Torah Topics
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Grossman – Reading Responsa
* Thursdays: Rabbi Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah
* Tuesdays & Wednesdays: Shivti led by Rabbi Sussman. Rabbi Grossman will be presenting weekly lectures on the weekly topic.
* For Women:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Tehillim: An in-depth analysis.
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM-7:25 AM & Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the room behind the Balcony.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM, will not take place this week..
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women: 613? Appreciating Every One of Them! Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Kesubos, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM in the Social Hall.
YISE Programs and Listings
Early Mincha Friday Chanukah – There will be a 3:00 PM Mincha in the Belonofsky Sanctuary for those who would like to daven Mincha before lighting Chanukah candles.
Ruach Minyan – Shabbos Chanukah, December 7, 4:25 PM in the Belonofsky Sanctuary. A standard Minyan will be held downstairs in the Social Hall for those who would prefer it.
Kid Safe Program – Free event on anti-bullying & self-defense for kids age 6 and up. Sunday, December 9 in the YISE Social Hall. Girls 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM. Boys 10:45 AM – 11:30 AM. No registration required. For more information, see flyer or contact info@BerwynHeightsBJJ.com
Dor L'Dor – The next Dor L'dor will take place on Motzei Shabbos, December 15, at 6:45 PM in the YISE Social Hall! For people who would like their child to participate in Dor L'Dor but are not available to learn with him / her, we will try to match your child with an available volunteer adult, upon advance request (usually by 10:00 AM on the preceding Friday). However, parents accepting this offer are responsible for getting their child to and from the program. For further information, please contact Michael Shimoff at firstname.lastname@example.org
Clothing Drive – Save your clothes, linens, shoes, stuffed animals, and purses for the annual YISE/KMS clothing drive on Sunday, January 13, 2019 benefiting CHANA (domestic abuse victims). Contact Miriam Friedman at email@example.com for more information or to volunteer.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program is a service to help members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. By signing up, you are not committing to help with anything specific. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Beis Medrash, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by Judy & Moshe Mehlman in honor of Herschel completing his service as a commander in the IDF.
Please join us this week for groups:
2-5 year-olds 9:30 AM – end of 8:45 minyan in the youth room behind the Balcony. 1st-4th grade 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM at the Yeshiva. Walking group leaves at 10:00 AM. Girls meet in the main lobby. Boys meet outside the Social Hall. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Job Opportunity – Shabbos Groups Coordinator – The YISE Yout Committee is seeking a Shabbos Groups Coordinator for our weekly Shabbos youth groups for preschool through elementary aged children. This is an excellent opportunity for professional growth. Strong communication, programmatic and interpersonal skills are needed. Experience working with children is a must. Compensation commensurate with experience. For more information or to apply, contact Debbie Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org
Community Programs and Listings
Bnei Akiva Snif – Chanukah Color War! This Shabbos, December 8, for 2nd – 6th graders, from 3:00 PM – 4:15 PM at KMS. Walking groups leave YISE at 2:35 PM and return at 4:35 PM.
Rabbi Marvin Goldman's Shiur at University Towers – will not take place this week.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, December 12, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator & leader. Contact Debbie Katz at email@example.com for more info.
Get a Sense of Berman – Explore the five senses through science, technology, engineering, and math. Interact with features from our STEM playground and experience a taste of our Preschool and Lower School. Berman Hebrew Academy Dennis & Robin Berman Media Center. Sunday, December 16, 2018, 10:00 AM-12 noon. RSVP to Director of Admissions Elana Stein at 301-962-9400 x5630 or firstname.lastname@example.org This event is for preschool and lower-school aged children and their grown-ups.
YGW Banquet – Join the Yeshiva of Greater Washington – Tiferes Gedaliah for the 55th Annual Banquet, honoring Rabbi Eliyahu & Mrs. Rachelle Reingold. The banquet will take place on December 16 at 6:00 PM at The Hotel at the University of Maryland. For more information and to RSVP, go to www.ygwevents.com
Body and Soul – The Mikvah Emunah Society of Greater Washington presents the first shiur of a free 3-part learning series for women: Taking care of ourselves. Join us as Mrs. Rachel Kosowsky discusses "Putting First Things First: Why (and How) We Must Prioritize Ourselves to Properly Serve Hashem" on Monday, December 17, at 8:00 PM at the Namrow home- 6 Fulham Court.
Yad Yehuda Breakfast Save the date! Sunday, February 3, 2019 at 9:30 AM at YISE; Second annual Yad Yehuda breakfast, honoring Mrs. Susan Koss. Learn more about Yad Yehuda's Capital Kosher Pantry. For more information, contact Debbie Katz at email@example.com
Newly Married? Growing Family? Just need a budget check-up? A new community resource, IZUN, provides financial education and decision-making support for young couples, growing families, and those facing changes in their financial status. IZUN provides tools and trained confidential counselors to help you examine your budget and review options to sustain financial stability. IZUN is a resource for families of all income levels that choose to take a forward look at their finances, and it has the enthusiastic support of community leaders and Rabbonim. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call (240) 433-3944.
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Nazir. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more info, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos at 10:30 AM.
Learn Mishnah Brurah Hilchos Shabbos in 18 Months – Shiur for men with Rabbi Eli Reingold. Monday through Thursday, 8:00 – 8:45 PM at the Boys Yeshiva. Questions? Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
The Value of Modesty – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for women, based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: gemachexchange.com
Kemp Mill Village Neighbor Helping Neighbor – KMV will do more than offer rides. We now have over 40 volunteers and supporters, who are helping us prepare to offer services starting January 1, 2019, including rides to appointments and shopping, prescription delivery, everyday household tasks, such as changing light bulbs, and picking up groceries. If you can volunteer for as little as 30 minutes a week, come join them to help your neighbors so KMV can provide a responsive service for Kemp Mill residents. Call Alan Breitler at 301-649-5031 or email email@example.com to participate in this important project!
Will the Eruv Be Up This Week? – We hope so…thanks to the Eruv's supporters who make the weekly inspection and any necessary repairs possible. The suggested contribution is $54 per household; larger or smaller donations are gratefully accepted. Make your tax deductible donation to YISE Eruv Fund and mail it to: Eruv Fund, 707 Lamberton Drive, Silver Spring, MD 20902. Donations directly to SSEAÂ are accepted but are not tax deductible. Please do NOT send donations for the Eruv to other shuls or via a shul website. If you have questions, contact SilverSpringEruv@gmail.com
Boys Baseball – Early Registration is now open! This spring, Ko-ach Sports is back for another great season of Sunday baseball. Sign up before January 15 to reserve a spot and save on registration fees. 2019 spring baseball is for boys 1st-5th grade. Go to www.Ko-achSports.com for more information.
The Week Ahead
Sunday, Dec. 9 – Chanukah Monday, Dec. 10 – Chanukah Tuesday December 11 Wednesday December 12 Thursday December 13 Friday December 14
Ashkenazi 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:35, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15
Ashkenazi 4:35 4:35 / 7:30 4:35 / 7:30 4:35 / 7:30 4:35 / 7:30 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 4:30 4:30 4:30 4:30 4:30
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 6:22 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:37 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:34 PM
December 14 – 15, 2018 – 7 Teves 5779
Light Candles by 4:28 – Havdalah 5:31
* Light Candles by 4:28
Ashkenazi: 4:30 Sephardi: 4:25 Nusach Sefard: 4:30
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 4:25 Sephardi: 4:10 Nusach Sefard: 4:25
* Maariv/Havdalah: 5:31
Motzei Shabbos, Dec. 8 Board Game Café, 8:00 PM, Social Hall
Sunday, December 9 Kid Safe Program, 10:00 AM, Social Hall
Sunday, December 9 A Deep Dive Into Hallel, Part 3 of 3, 2:30 PM, Belonofsky Sanctuary
Motzei Shabbos, Dec. 15 Dor L'Dor, 6:45 PM, Social Hall
Sunday, December 16 Dvora Entin, 10:30 AM, Social Hall
Sunday, December 16 Tech Café, 1:00 PM, Social Hall
Wednesday, December 19 YISE Board of Directors Meeting, 8:15 PM
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, December 12 at 12:00 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager