The Shabbos Shorts is formatted for legal size paper (8-1/2" x 14"). If you are not able to print on legal size paper, you should print using "Fit" or "Shrink oversized pages" or a similar setting.
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
April 15-16, 2016 – 8 Nissan 5776 – Parshas Metzora – Shabbos HaGadol
Light Candles by 7:27 (and not before 6:23) – Havdalah 8:29
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Joey Franco – Mortgage Banker – 301-529-5387.
* Judith & Rabbi Marvin Goldman on the Bar Mitzvah of their grandson Zach Goldman, son of Laura & Joseph Goldman. Mazal Tov to his siblings, Evan, Daniel, and Kira and his other grandparents Caroline & Stanley Greenfield of Pittsburgh.
* Chava & Howard Kern on the birth of a grandson, Binyamin Yaakov (Ben), to Marlowe & James Rinsler of Manhattan.
* Arleeta & Rabbi Dr Ivan Lerner on the marriage of their grandson Hillel Miller, son of D'vorah & Rabbi Shmuel Miller of Baltimore to Yehudis Bleeman, daughter of Suzie & Aaron Bleeman of Toronto. Mazal Tov also to grandparents Ilene & Henry Miller of Pisgat Z'ev and Eva & Avraham Bleeman of Toronto and great-grandmother Dena Lerner Gerber of Baltimore.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy and family on the engagement of his daughter, Tova.
* Amy & Reuven Mizrahi on the Bar Mitzvah of their son, Raphael Moshe. Mazal Tov to his siblings, Mordechai, Leah, and Hanna and to niece Shira, his Bubby, Judy Mizrahi, and all his aunts, uncles cousins and friends.
* Marina & Gregory Shmunis and Ofra & Menachem-Mendel Alenick of Woodridge, NY on the birth of a grandson Netanel-Zev to Shira & Misha Shmunis of Brookline, MA. Mazal Tov to aunts and uncle: Esther Shmunis and Chaya & Michoel Alenick and the entire extended family.
* Rosalyn Bramson on the passing of her husband, Arnold Bramson. The funeral took place on Tuesday in New York, and burial in Israel on Wednesday. Shiva will be held in New York through Wednesday morning.
* Light Candles by 7:27, and not before 6:23
Arcola: 6:30, 7:00 (Ruach), 7:30 University: 7:15 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
* This week, the Sephardi Minyan will meet in the Large Social Hall and the 8:00 Minyan will meet in the Large Beis Medrash.
* The 9:15 Minyan meets in the Boys' Yeshiva.
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 7:00 University: 6:40 Sephardi: 6:50 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
* Maariv/Havdalah: 8:29
* Sephardi Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* Hashkamah / Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* 8:45 Main Minyan / Sephardi – Amy & Reuven Mizrahi in honor of Raphael Moshe's Bar Mitzvah.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, behind the balcony.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur will resume after Pesach.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 6:05 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur will resume after Pesach.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Drasha after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual selfimprovement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony – will resume May 8.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony – will not meet on Friday.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org – will resume May 3.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash – will resume May 4.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash – will resume May 18.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women. A mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evening at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org – will resume May 10.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM – program will resume May 8.
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network's Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-732-1773 or email@example.com – will resume May 3.
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah – Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the Social Hall; Maariv to follow – will resume after Pesach.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at University – will resume after Pesach.
* GWCK Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency, Thursdays following Mincha/Maariv in the small Social Hall – will resume May 5.
Cheryl Stern Community
Kelim Mikvah is Now Open
Dedicate a brick in the path to the Keilim Mikvah at YISE. Your engraved brick will be placed on the sidewalk in front of the Mikvah.
Brick: 4" x 8" brick paver on the Keilim Mikvah path. Lines: 3, Characters per line: 20, Cost: $ 180.00 each
Double Brick: 8" x 8" brick paver on the Keilim Mikvah path. Lines: 6, Characters per line: 20. Cost: $ 500.00 each
Donations are 100% tax deductible. For more details visit: www.yise.org/brick
Pesach is Coming Soon, Don't be in de Nile
YISE Programs and Listings
THIS SHABBOS: Ruach Minyan – Friday, April 15, 7:00, Social Hall.Though there is no formal children's program, all are welcome to join and bring in Shabbos with us. If you have any questions or would like further information, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Important Announcement Regarding Maryland Primary Voting – This year's primary is on Chol Hamoed Pesach. We have contested races for president, U.S. Senate and House of Representatives, and your vote is important. For those who will be away (or just too busy) during the holiday, early voting is available through April 21. Absentee ballots are also available. For more information on hours and locations, visit www.elections.state.md.us/voting/early_voting.html
Shomrim Program for YISE Security – The YISE Security Committee continues to review possible threats and guidance and to issue security recommendations to the board. YISE recently hired an off-duty police officer to be present on Shabbos morning and to make periodic patrols on Friday nights and during Shabbos mincha. In order to stay vigilant in the current global security environment, YISE will be implementing a Shomrim program on Friday night, Shabbos morning and holidays in order to augment our hired police presence. YISE is seeking committed volunteers to become Shomrim members andteam leaders. Please contact email@example.com if you are interested involunteering. To volunteer visit www.yise.org/shomrim-signup
The YISE Shomrai Nursery School is looking for prizes for our Annual PTA Lag B'Omer Raffle! Our raffle raises money for school improvements, teacher appreciation, and school activities. Please consider having your business donate a service or product. Your business will get advertising on our announcements. Or feel free to donate in honor of or in memory of someone. Items we are looking for: gift certificates, baby gear, electronics, outings/kid activities, gift certificates to restaurants, toys, kitchen gadgets, etc. Please contact Emily at Todd.firstname.lastname@example.org
"Have Faith!" Easier Said Than Done – The YISE Meaningful Tefilah Project presents a Shabbaton on Emunah with Rabbi Motty Berger from Aish HaTorah on May 6 and 7 (the Shabbos after Pesach). Inspirational Davening, Drashot and discussion. Spiritual Shalosh Seudos (by reservation; $8/person). For details or to volunteer, contact email@example.com or 301-980-9557. To sponsor or to reserve places for Seudah, send check payable to YISE (marked "Shabbaton sponsor" and/or "Seudah") to Shul office.
Annual Yom HaShoah V'Hagvurah Program – Mr. Manny Mandel will recount the story of his traumatic escape from wartime Hungary with his mother. Monday May 9 at 7:45 PM at KMS. Mincha will precede the program at 7:20 PM. Children grades 5 and above are encouraged to attend the program with their parents. Sign language interpreter will be available upon request.
The Sixth Annual Siyum Tanach in Memory of Rav Anemer ZT"L – The Siyum will be held at a Shalosh Seudos on Shabbos, May 14, Parshas Kedoshim. Nearly all of the sections have been claimed – there are 4 weeks to go. To register for one of the last sections visit www.yise.org/siyum or contact Bob Levi at 301-593-2399. Please help defray the cost of this community-wide event by being a sponsor. (Suggested contribution $36.) To sponsor: contact the YISE office at 301-593-4465 ext. 403 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow-Up Meeting with the US Post Office – Congressman Van Hollen's office will be hosting a follow-up community meeting with the U.S. Postal Service on Wednesday, May 18 from 5:30 PM – 6:30 PM in the YISE Social Hall. For questions, please contact Melissa Joseph at melissa.joseph@mail. house.gov or at (202) 594-6502.
Shomrai Nursery Registration for 2016-2017 is now OPEN! Our Torah based preschool program is open from 7:30 AM until 6:00 PM. Program lengths vary according to parents' and child's needs. Tours of the school are by appointment only. Call 301-593-7365 or email email@example.com for inquiries.
Camp Shomrai is back! Camp Shomrai is back for another great summer for ages 2-5! For inquiries, please contact Sarah Dollman at firstname.lastname@example.org
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp.
Parsha Shenanigans – Please join us this week for a puppet show for ages 2-5 and a Matzah Ball Showdown trivia game for 1st-4th graders! Delicious snacks! Awesome prizes!: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10:00 AM- 11:15 AM, with early care for ages 2-5 from 9:30 AM – 10:00 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
There will be no groups the first days of Pesach.
Second Annual Lag B'Omer Event at the Adventure Park at Sandy Spring – Join YISE Youth on Thursday, May 26 from 5:00 PM – 8:30 PM. Whether you went last year and want to do it again, or if this is your first time, don't miss out on this opportunity to register for a great experience! Cost is $36 per person. Children 5-6 years old are free with a paying adult (1:1). All checks must be submitted to the Shul office by April 20. For more info, contact email@example.com
Pesach Preparations – YISE and Beyond
Rabbi Rosenbaum will be available for the sale of Chometz at the following locations and times this coming week:
* Sunday, April 17: After 7:30 and 8:45 Shacharis Minyanim.
* Monday, April 18: After Mincha/Maariv.
* Tuesday, April 19: After 6:55 Shacharis.
* Wednesday, April 20: 9:00 PM, Social Hall.
* Friday, April 22: following the Siyumim.
Or call Rabbi Rosenbaum, 301-593-4465 ext 405, to make arrangements to sell your Chometz.
YISE Together-for-5 – Continues with a new series of audio Shiurim by Rabbi Rosenbaum about the Halachos of Chametz on Pesach. For more info, visit www.yise.org/together-for-5
Hachnosas Orchim – The Hospitality Committee is looking for volunteers to host people for Pesach (including the Sedarim). If you are willing to host, please contact the Hospitality Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org with how many people you can host and what meals. Additionally, if you need to be set up for a meal on Pesach, please contact the committee with the meal(s) you need.
Pre-Pesach Carwash – Sunday, April 17, 12:15 PM – 4:00 PM. This is a great opportunity to have your car cleaned while you clean your house for Pesach. Low prices for wash and vacuum combo. Cars $30, Minivans/SUV $35, Vans $45. YGW-Tiferes Gedaliah Boys Campus. (All proceeds go to YGW Senior Class 2017 Israel Trip Fund.)
Pre-Pesach Gourmet Pop-Up Restaurant at YISE – Gold Standard Catering, a new gourmet Vaad-certified boutique caterer by Stephanie Gold is presenting a pop-up restaurant at YISE. Sunday, April 17 and Monday, April 18: Dinner reservations 5:00 PM – 8:30 PM, last walk-in seated at 9:00 PM. Monday, April 18: Lunch 11:00 AM – 2:00 PM, lunch menu take-out pickup (pre-ordered) 2:00 PM – 5:00 PM. Walk-ins welcome (first come first served). Children's menu available lunch and dinner. More details, menu and contact info at www.goldstandardcatering.net Portion of proceeds benefit YISE.
Chometz Riddance and Spring Food Drive – Make a tangible contribution for those in need in our local community. It's easy! Put your donated items in the food bank collection box in the lower lobby through April 20. All items must be unopened and non-perishable. No glass jars please! We accept boxed and canned food – grains, vegetables, fruits, healthy snacks, beans, etc. Donations will benefit the Capital Area Food bank (www. capitalareafoodbank.org), which distributes to many local organizations including our community's Kosher Food Pantry.
Dumpsters for Chometz Only – Available on Grays Lane next to KMS from Monday, April 18, until Friday, April 22, about 11:30 AM, the last time to burn Chometz.
Bedikas Chometz – In preparation for Bedikas Chometz at YISE, please remove any personal Chometz from your Talis boxes, back-of-the pews and seat areas where Chometz may be lurking. Also, please remove large clothing and other items from the lobby shelving areas, so they can be quickly inspected for the presence of Chometz. Your effort will enable us to perform the Bedika effectively and quickly. High school boys needed to help conduct Bedikas Chometz in YISE. Please bring a flashlight and meet in YISE after Maariv on the Thursday night before Pesach, April 21. If you can help, contact Rabbi Greengart at 301-754-2758.
Community Chometz Burning – Friday, April 22, 9:30 AM – 11:30 AM at YISE. The Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Service will be on hand to provide safety information at this community event.
Maos Chitim – Let All Who Are Hungry Come and Eat – Help local families and individuals, struggling to make ends meet:
* YISE Charity Fund – Drop off checks at the office made out to "YISE Charity Fund" and specifically marked "Maos Chitim" or give them to Rabbi Rosenbaum directly.
* The Franco Foundation – Continues to assist those in need. Donations towards the Maos Chitim drive will be distributed before and during Pesach. Please help with your generous tax-deductible donation, c/o Allan Franco, 613 Bromley Street, or through PayPal at email@example.com
* Yad Yehuda of Greater Washington – which assists individuals and families year-round in our region. To donate, please click on the Maos Chitim banner at www.yadyehuda.org
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before regular Mincha.
Dirshu Daf Yomi B'Halacha on Hilchos Tefillah, learn Mishna Brurah with Rabbi Eli Reingold, Monday – Thursday, 8:00 PM – 8:45 PM at YGW. For information contact him at 301-996-5910 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Tehillim – Wednesday mornings – will resume after Pesach.
Kemp Mill Pirchei – For boys, first through sixth grade in the Yeshiva classrooms, Shabbos afternoons, 4:00 PM – 4:55 PM. If you're interested in sponsoring, please contact, email@example.com
Shiur on Parsha – This Shabbos, April 16, with Rabbi Marvin Goldman. at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 906, at 4:00 PM.
Toastmasters' Meeting – Will meet next on May 4, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Jewish Business Ethics: Exploring the Laws of the Jewish Workplace – Introducing a weekly five-part text based series. Presented by Greater Washington Community Kollel in partnership with Aish of Greater Washington, this men's programming series will elucidate five separate relevant workplace topics, Wednesday evenings 7:30 PM – 8:30 PM, May 11 – June 8 at Aish 11418 Old Georgetown Road. For more information, contact email@example.com
Workplace Skills Workshop:
* Computer Training Online – Free courses in Dreamweaver, Excel, Flash, QuickBooks, Powerpoint. Available at www.ou.org/professional-development/
* How to Design a Powerful Resume – Free webinar on Tuesday, April 19, 1:30 PM. Info and register at www.chameleonresumes.com and click on "events."
The Week Ahead
Sunday, April 17 Monday, April 18 Tuesday, April 19 Wednesday, April 20 Thursday, April 21 Friday, April 22
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:40, 7:35
Sephardi 7:30 6:10, 7:10 6:15, 7:15 6:15, 7:15 6:10, 7:10 6:15, 7:15
Arcola 7:35 7:35 7:35 7:35 7:35 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 7:30 7:30 7:30 7:30 7:30
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 5:33 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:43 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:42 PM
Next Weekend – Pesach
April 22-24, 2016 – 15-16 Nissan 5776
Light Candles by 7:34
* Finish eating Chometz by 10:22 AM
* Recite Kol Chamira by 11:45 AM
* Light Candles by 7:34
Arcola: 7:35 University: 7:35 Sephardi: 7:35 Nusach Sefard: 7:35
* Seder starts after 8:35
* Complete Pesach schedule in next week's Shabbos Shorts
Friday, April 15 Ruach Minyan, Arcola Social Hall, 7:00 PM
Shabbos, April 16 Bar Mitzvah of Raphael Moshe Mizrahi
Sun. April 17 / Mon. April 18 Pre-Pesach Gourmet Pop-Up Restaurant
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, April 20 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-12:00 Noon
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director