Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Gadols
April 12 – 13, 2019 – 8 Nissan 5779 – Parshas Metzora/Shabbos HaGadol
Light Candles by 7:24 – Havdalah 8:25
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Janet Rottenberg, Simi & Sammy Franco, Jerry Rottenberg, and Mindy & Shmuel Tolchinsky on the 8th Yahrzeit of their husband & father, Melvin Rottenberg, Menachem Mendel ben Tzvi Yehuda, Z"L
* Serena & Ben Kalish on the birth of their daughter, Naava Rachel.
* Light Candles by 7:24, and not before 6:20
Ashkenazi: 6:30, 7:25 Ruach (Social Hall) 7:00 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:00, 6:55 Sephardi: 6:55 Nusach Sefard: 6:55
* Shabbos Ends: 8:25
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* Sephardi Minyan – Avi Perez and Aviad Madar
* 8:00 Minyan – Simi & Sammy Franco to commemorate the 8th Yahrzeit of her father, Melvin Rottenberg, Menachem Mendel ben Tzvi Yehuda, Z"L.
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* 9:15 Minyan – is sponsored in honor of Moshe and Batsheva Broder's birthdays.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, after Hashkamah Minyan, lower lobby
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur 9:00 AM, Rabbi's Study.
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 6:20 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shabbos HaGadol Drasha after Mincha
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self- improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash, will resume May 5.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony, will not take place on Friday.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash, will resume April 30.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash, will resume May 1.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the balcony, will resume May 15.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for men & women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesdays at 7:30 PM, will resume May 7. For more details, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM, in the Large Social Hall, will resume May 5.
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for men & women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sundays at 8:00 PM in the Social Hall.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM at YISE, will resume May 6. For more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, email@example.com, 347-869-9361.
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM-7:25 AM & Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the room behind the Balcony.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM, will resume April 30.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women: 613? Appreciating Every One of Them! Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash, will resume April 30.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Kesubos, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM in the Social Hall, will resume April 30.
YISE Programs and Listings
Vaccination Policy – The issue of the spread of measles throughout communities around the world and in our own country has raised health concerns for numerous members of our community, of all ages. Effective immediately, YISE policy requires all children on the shul premises or attending a shul program to be in full compliance with the vaccination recommendations of the State of Maryland. If your child or your guest's child is not in compliance, please do not bring him/her to our shul or programs.
Toddler Room Renovation – The toddler room is being renovated thanks to a generous donor. Due to the work in process, the room is not currently available for use. The renovations are expected to be completed before Pesach.
Global Good Deeds Day Park Cleanup – Thank you to the 132 volunteers from the community, including many YISE volunteers, Bachurim from the Yeshiva as well as participants from KMS, Berman, NCSY, and more! Thank you to Ben Yehuda for discount vouchers for the volunteers and to CVS for donating water bottles.
Ruach Minyan – Shabbos HaGadol Pre-Pesach Ruach Minyan this Friday, April 12, 7:00 PM sharp in the Social Hall. While there is no formal children's program, all Daveners are warmly invited and encouraged to join us. So bring the family and invite your friends. It's going to be Gevaldic! For more information contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Hello Neighbor! YISE in collaboration with Sulam presents a special sensitivity training session on Sunday, April 14, 1:00 PM – 2:00 PM in the Social Hall. See flyer for details.
Senior Lunch – Wednesday, May 1, 12 Noon, Social Hall. Dr. Alan Breitler, "Great Scientists, Part 1: Galileo"
Annual Yom HaShoah v'Hagvurah Program – featuring Edith Mayer-Cord. Sunday, May 5, 7:30 PM at YISE. Children grades 5 and above are encouraged to attend the program with their parents. Sign language interpreter will be available upon request. See flyer for details.
Community Learning in Memory of Rabbi Anemer, ZT"L
In commemoration of his ninth Yahrzeit, Rabbi Rosenbaum and the YISE Adult Education Committee invite the community to learn L'zecher Nishmas Rav Anemer, ZT"L. All are welcome to participate in the Shul's new seven week learning program that will culminate in the Seudah Shlishit in memory of Rav Anemer, ZT"L on Shabbos Acharei Mos, May 4.
Over seven weeks, we will learn a Perek (chapter) a week of Hilchos Talmud Torah of the Rambam's Mishnah Torah. In addition to independent learning, each Sunday the Shul will send out an article from Rabbi Rosenbaum or Rabbi Silver on a topic discussed in that week's Perek. Links to the weekly learning and articles are available at: https://wp.yise.org/rabbi-anemer-learning Please feel free to contact Bob Levi at email@example.com with any questions.
Save the Date: Sunday, May 12th, 2019
YISE Annual Banquet
Honoring: Susan and Abe Zwany
Young Leadership Award: Elise and Ken Saks
Youth Award: Dovy Brodkin
HaKarat HaTov Award to Yvette Epstein
Special Tribute to: Officer Eli Dunham and Officer Justin Haire
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish History on Monday, May 6, from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM at 1111 University Blvd. W. in the Penthouse. Light refreshments will be served. For more info, contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program is a service to help members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. By signing up, you are not committing to help with anything specific. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Beis Medrash, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups:
2-5 year-olds 9:30 AM – end of 8:45 minyan in the youth rooms behind the Balcony.
1st-4th grade 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM at the Yeshiva. Walking group leaves at 10:00 AM. Girls meet in the main lobby. Boys meet outside the Social Hall. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Escape (Room) From Egypt – Do you think you have what it takes to escape Egypt? This Chol Hamoed Pesach, we are hosting our first high school boys event of the year. We will be doing an escape room on Monday morning, April 22nd at 10:45am at Big Escape Rooms in Silver Spring. Spots are limited so please RSVP to email@example.com as soon as possible. See flyer for details.
YISE and Beyond!
Mechiras Chometz – Rabbi Rosenbaum will be available for Mechiras Chometz at the following locations & times this week:
* Sunday, April 14 – after 7:30 and 8:45 Shacharis Minyanim, Belonofsky Sanctuary
* Sunday, April 14 – after Mincha/Maariv, Belonofsky Sanctuary
* Monday, April 15 – after Mincha/Maariv, Belonofsky Sanctuary
* Tuesday, April 16 ¡V 12 noon, Beis Medrash
* Tuesday, April 16 – after Mincha/Maariv, Belonofsky Sanctuary
* Wednesday, April 17 – 8:30 pm, Social Hall
* Friday, April 19 – after the morning Siyumim
Shul members should feel free to contact Rabbi Rosenbaum at 301-593-4465, ext. 405 to make alternative arrangements if none of the above days and times are convenient.
Shmurah Matzah – Pickup on Sunday, April 14, 7:00 PM – 9:30 PM, or contact Simi Franco in the YISE office to arrange pickup.
The Young Israel Edition of the Koren Haggadah with commentary by Rabbi Lord Jonathan Sacks is available in the Shul office for those who ordered through NCYI. A limited number of additional copies are available, one per member, upon request.
Hospitality – Once again it is our privilege to help bring people together for Yom Tov. We are recruiting both guests and hosts to participate in our YISE Pesach Hospitality program. Please sign up as a guest or host by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org
Maos Chittim – Let All Who Are Hungry Come and Eat – Help local families and individuals, struggling to make ends meet:
* YISE Charity Fund – People who would like Rabbi Rosenbaum to distribute Tzedakah for Pesach on their behalf can give cash or checks made out to YISE Charity Fund to him (also at Mechiras Chometz) or drop off at the YISE office. Please do not mail donations.
* The Franco Foundation – Continues to assist those in need. Donations towards the Maos Chittim drive will be distributed before and during Pesach. Please help with your generous tax-deductible donation, c/o Allan Franco, 613 Bromley Street, or through PayPal at email@example.com
* Yad Yehuda of Greater Washington assists individuals and families year-round in our region. To donate, please click on the Maos Chittim banner at www.yadyehuda.org Chometz Be Gone Kosher Food Drive – Support the Capital Kosher Pantry by donating at Shul or at Moti¡¦s Market and Shalom Kosher or the donation box outside the Yad Yehuda house at 1910 University Boulevard West. See flyer for details.
Chometz Dumpster – A Dumpster will be available from Wednesday April 17 through Thursday, April 18 at midnight at YISE. Please do not use this Dumpster for anything but Chometz type of items. Please do not use the regular Shul Dumpster.
Community Chometz Burning – Friday, April 19, 9:00 AM – 11:00 AM at KMS. See flyer for details.
Pesach To-Go – Download the Benjamin and Rose Berger Pesach To-Go 5779 from Yeshiva University at http://www.yutorah.org/togo/pesach Printed copies are available at YISE.
Pesach Car Cleaning:
* Come support the Berman Class of 2019. Sunday, April 14, 11:00 AM – 4:00 PM. Located in the parking lot of Moti's Market, 4860 Boiling Brook Pkwy, Rockville, MD. Pricing: Sedan $35, SUV $40, Minivan $45. Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* Car cleaning to benefit the 2020 YGW Senior Trip to Israel. Sunday, April 14, 11:00 AM – 2:00 PM and 4:00 PM – 7:00 PM. Located at the YGW Boys School, 1216 Arcola Ave. Pricing: Sedan $35, SUV/Minivan $45, Large Van $60. Extra $10 for exterior clean. Just show up or email YGWClassOf2020@gmail.com to reserve a spot.
Community Programs and Listings
Rabbi Marvin Goldman¡¦s Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, April 13, at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 906, at 4:00 PM.
Tzurba M'Rabanan learning group meets this Shabbos, April 13, learning Halachos of the Seder night. Men¡¦s group at 3:30 PM at the home of Moshe and Rose Litwack, 11302 Monticello Ave. Women¡¦s group at 4:30 PM at the home of Josh and Mickie Breitstein, 1215 North Belgrade.
Post High School Girls Shiur – Tuesday nights, 8:30 PM at the Pepper home, 1101 North Belgrade Road. On April 16, the Shiur will be given by Rabbi Shields.
Free Resume and Job Search Webinars:
* Resumes – Lisa Rangel – Tuesday, April 16, and Thursday, April 18. For times and to register, visit https://chameleonresumes.com/resreg-04-19
* Your First Resume – Kathryn Troutman – Two sessions: Monday, April 15, 7:00 PM, and Tuesday, April 23, 9:00AM. For more information and to register, please visit www.Resume-Place.com
* Job Search – Corliss Jackson, Monday, April 22: 1 – Cracking the Federal Job Search Code, 8:00 to 8:30 PM, 2 – Your Private Sector Job Search, 8:30 to 9:00 PM, and 3 – Students and Recent Graduates–Cracking the Code to Your Federal Internship, 9:00 to 9:30 PM. For more information and to register, visit www.FederalJobResults.com/events
Birkas Ha'ilanos – There is a special Bracha which is recited on seeing blossoming fruit trees. There are currently blossoming trees in the backyard of the home of the Mond family, 812 Hyde Ct. The Mond family has given permission to the community to enter their backyard through the gate at the end of the driveway in order to make this Bracha.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, May 1, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator & leader. Contact Debbie Katz at email@example.com for more info.
Golden Network Caregiver Support Group – Sunday, May 5, 10:15 AM – 11:15 AM at KMS, room F. This group is geared towards Jewish women whose spouses are living at home or are in a medical facility and are affected by a chronic physical illness or a cognitive condition. For more information or if you plan to attend please contact: Hedy Peyser, MSW, firstname.lastname@example.org
Annual Yom Ha'atzmaut Celebration – Wednesday, May 8 at the Berman Hebrew Academy, Sylvia S. Ely Auditorium, 13300 Arctic Avenue, Rockville, MD. Mincha at 7:10 pm, program begins at 7:30 pm. Followed by festive Maariv, dancing, and refreshments. Suggested donation: $10 per person, $30 max per family.
Generations-in-Israel – Join AMIT Birah Chapter of Greater Washington, DC in honoring Donna Lawrence for her long-time commitment to AMIT and dedication to the children of Israel. We will hear from AMIT¡¦s president Debbie Moed. A light dairy catered dinner will be served. May 15, 7:00 PM at a private home in Silver Spring. Call 410-484-2223 or visit www.amitchildren.org/events to RSVP.
Zichron Menachem Hair Drive – STOP! Don¡¦t cut your hair for Pesach. Grow it for a child with cancer! Choose an appointment for a free cut. Two days to choose from: Thursday, May 23 (Lag B¡¦Omer) at Style Salon, and Tuesday, June 11 (day after Shavuos) at Progressions. To make an appointment, email "Hair" to email@example.com
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Nazir. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more info, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Daf Yomi Shiur meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before the YISE late Mincha.
Dirshu Mishnah Brurah – Beginning Monday, April 29, Dirshu Mishnah Brurah begins Chelek Daled with Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold. Learn the Halachos of Eruvin and Techumin. Finish the Chelek in eleven months! Monday through Thursday at YISE after Maariv. For more information contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Kemp Mill Village volunteers are now offering services to Village members, including rides for appointments, shopping, and visits to friends and family, help with household tasks, and prescription deliveries. Call the toll free number 1-833-KMV-20902 to request member services or to volunteer.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: gemachexchange.com
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy¡¦s Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
The Value of Modesty – Rabbi Levy¡¦s Shiur for women, based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
The Week Ahead
Sunday April 14 Monday April 15 Tuesday April 16 Wednesday April 17 Thursday April 18 Friday, April 19 – Erev Pesach
Ashkenazi 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:40, 7:35
Sephardi 7:30 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15 6:35
Ashkenazi 7:30 7:30 7:30 7:30 7:30 See Shabbos schedulex
Sephardi 7:25 7:25 7:25 7:25 7:25
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 5:39 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:46 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:42 PM
April 19 – 20, 2019 – 15 Nissan 5779 – Pesach
Complete schedule next week and in the HaShomer.
Light Candles: Friday by 7:34 – Motzei Shabbos after 8:32
* Light Candles by 7:31, and not before 6:26
Ashkenazi: 7:35 Sephardi: 7:35 Nusach Sefard: 7:35
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:00, 7:30 Sephardi: 7:15 Nusach Sefard: 7:30
* Light Candles after: 8:32
Friday, April 12 Ruach Minyan, 7:00 PM, Social Hall
Sunday, April 14 Hello Neighbor!, 1:00 PM, Social Hall
Wednesday, May 1 Senior Lunch, 12 Noon, Social Hall
Shabbos, May 4 Seudah Shlishit in memory of Rav Anemer, ZT"L
Sunday, May 5 Yom HaShoah v'Hagvurah Program, 7:30 PM
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, April 17 at 12:00 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Office Hours: Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Closed Friday (Erev Pesach)
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager