Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
April 4-5, 2014 – 5 Nissan 5774 – Parshas Metzora
Light Candles by 7:16 – Havdalah 8:17
* Light Candles by 7:16
* Mincha 7:20 (Arcola and University) 7:00 (Sephardi and Nusach Sefard)
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 5:00, 7:00 (Sephardi), 7:15 (Arcola and Univ.)
* Maariv/Havdalah 8:17
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* 8:00 Minyan – "The Chevra"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 6:15 PM.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 6:15 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur at 6:45 PM.
* Rabbi Silver – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Barry Greengart – Shiur after Mincha at University.
* Pearl Bassan on the engagement of her granddaughter, Leah Bassan, to D'veer Wexler, and on the engagement of her grandson, David Bassan, to Naomi Alper. Both are children of Debra & Aaron Bassan.
* Tzivia & Rabbi Sam Bramson on the engagement of their granddaughter, Chani Waidenbaum, daughter of Libby & Rabbi Nuta Waidenbaum of Brooklyn, to Yitzi Milstein, son of Freidel & Rabbi Shlomo Milstein of Brooklyn.
* Faith & Gil Ginsburg on their son-in-law, Rabbi Yosef Kalinsky, receiving Yadin Yadin Smicha from Yeshiva University.
* Faith & Gil Ginsburg on the marriage of their grandson, Avrohom Dovid, son of Chana & Rabbi Benjamin Ginsburg of Ramat Beit Shemesh, to Baila Yehudis Malinowitz of Ramat Beit Shemesh. Mazal Tov also to Aunt Sahra & Uncle Yale, Uncle Raphael, and the whole Ginsburg family.
* Judith & Rabbi Jacob Halpern on their grandson, Rabbi Dovid Halpern, son of Suri & Dr. Eitan Halpern, receiving Yoreh Yoreh Smicha from Yeshiva University.
* Ruth Rochel Stokes on the loss of her sister, Ann Clark, of Spokane, Washington.
YISE Programs and Listings
Seudah Shlishis, this Shabbos, April 5, following the Nusach Sefard and Sephardi Mincha Minyanim, is sponsored by the Nusach Sefard Minyan in honor of Alan Zimmerman for his years of service to YISE.
The Fourth Annual Siyum Tanach in Memory of Rav Anemer ZT"L will be held at a Shalosh Seudos on Shabbos, April 26, Parshas Kedoshim. So far about 90% of the sections have already been claimed. To register for one of the few remaining sections visit www.yise.org/siyum or contact Bob Levi at 301-593-2399.
Be a Part of the Global Good Deeds Day – Clean the parks – Kemp Mill Shopping Center Park and Sligo Creek Park on Sunday, April 6 anytime from 1:00 PM – 3:00 PM. Sponsored by YISE, KMS, and MJBHA Chesed Committees. Meet at the steps to get gloves, trash bags, and a tee shirt (while supplies last). Upper School students will receive community service hours. All ages may volunteer. For more info, please contact Miriam Friedman at email@example.com
Rabbi Koss' Jewish History class is cancelled for April 7, and will resume on Monday, May 5.
Annual Yom Hashoah Program – Monday, April 28, 7:30 PM at KMS. The featured speaker is Mr. Leon Merrick, a long time resident of Kemp Mill who survived the Lodz Ghetto, forced labor and concentration camps during the Holocaust. Children grade 5 and older are encouraged to attend. Special Mincha at 7:10. Maariv will follow the program.
Youth Activities Coordinator Job Opportunity – This position coordinates 10-12 youth events throughout the year. S/he works closely with the Youth Committee and Rabbinic staff and must possess excellent organizational, interpersonal and leadership skills. Flexible hours. Teaching experience preferable. Competitive salary. Please submit resume with references to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 14.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the Balcony – will resume on April 27.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org – will resume on April 29.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Haftoros Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash – will resume on April 30.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash – will resume on April 30.
* Rabbi Silver's Halacha Shiur for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM, in the Social Hall, part of the Beis Medrash Zichron Gedaliah Program, iscurrently studying the Halachos of Tefillah.
* Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or email@example.com
* Beis Medrash Zichron Gedaliah for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall – will resume after Pesach.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM at University – will resume on April 30.
* Greater Washington Community Kollel:
* Linas Hatzedek – Business Ethics – Continuing the topic "Business on Shabbos" – Sunday mornings at 9:30 AM.
* Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency. Thursdays, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM – will resume on May 1.
YISE Nursery Announcements
YISE Nursery presents Torah for Tots – Friday mornings from 9:30 AM to 10:45 AM. $10 per class. Classes through May 16. Register firstname.lastname@example.org or 301 593-7365.
YISE Nursery presents Camp Shomrai 2014 – Download camp forms at http://nursery.yise.org/forms/ or contact 301-593-7365 or email@example.com for further information.
YISE Nursery registration for school year 2014-2015 – Call 301-593-7365 with questions or to make an appointment for a tour.
Pesach Preparations – YISE and Beyond
YISE Shmurah Matzah Fundraiser – Order deadline was Monday, March 31. Matzah may be picked up Tuesday, April 8, or Wednesday, April 9, from 7:00 PM to 9:30 PM in the Arcola Social Hall.
Rabbi Rosenbaum will be available for the sale of Chometz at the following locations and times:
* Sunday, April 6: University after 8:00 Shacharis
* Monday, April 7: After Mincha/Maariv
* Tuesday, April 8: Arcola, after 6:55 Shacharis
* Wednesday, April 9: Noon, Arcola Beis Medrash
* Wednesday, April 9: 8:30 PM to 9:00 PM, Arcola Social Hall
* Thursday, April 10: After Mincha/Maariv
* Friday, April 11: After 6:55 Shacharis
* Sunday, April 13: Arcola, following 7:30 and 8:45 Shacharis Minyanim
* Monday, April 14: Following the Siyumim.
Or call Rabbi Rosenbaum to make arrangements to sell your Chometz.
YISE Together-for-5 – For a series of audio Shiurim by Rabbi Rosenbaum from last year visit www.torahdownloads.com/yisepesach
Hachnosas Orchim – Persons looking for a Seder or looking for guests for their Seder should contact firstname.lastname@example.org to add your name to the list.
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington invites you to a Pre-Pesach Boutique – Sunday, April 6, 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM at the home of Sharon & Jay Mazel, 608 Rockford Road. For further information please contact: Rhonda Lehman at 301-351-1725 or email@example.com 10% of Boutique purchases will be given to Bikur Cholim.
Maos Chitim – Let All Who Are Hungry Come and Eat – Help local families and individuals, struggling to make ends meet:
* YISE Charity Fund – Drop off checks at the office made out to "YISE Charity Fund" and specifically marked "Maos Chitim" or give them to Rabbi Rosenbaum directly.
* The Franco Foundation – Please help with your generous tax-deductible donation, c/oAllan Franco, 613 Bromley Street, or through paypal at firstname.lastname@example.org
* The Yehuda Mond Foundation – Donate on-line at yehudahmondfoundation.org, or mail to 812 Hyde Court. Please mark your checks for, "Maos Chittim."
Food Drive Meets Great Need – The Pesach Chometz Riddance Food Drive, which runs through April 10, collects donations for the Capital Area Food Bank for distribution to needy individuals and families. Synagogues in Kemp Mill and the Washington area, along with other organizations, such as day schools, community centers, and apartment complexes, take part. Please bring your donations to a bin outside the Social Hall.
Need your car cleaned for Pesach?
* The YGW Juniors are offering a thorough and inexpensive cleaning service to prepare your vehicle for Pesach. They will be doing it at the Yeshiva, 1216 Arcola Ave., on April 6 and April 13. For pricing and more information please contact the juniors at email@example.com
* MJBHA Senior Class of 2014 Pre-Pesach Car Wash. Sunday, April 6, 9:30 AM– 1:00 PM. $15 per car, $25 per van. Parking lot outside Moti's Market, 4860 Boiling Brook Parkway
Rabbi Benjamin Ginsburg has just published his latest book, a new Haggadah, If interested, please contact Faith Ginsburg at 301-649-6330 or Profgins@aol.com
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the YGW Beis Medrash – Monday through Thursday 9:00 PM, Shabbos 1 1/2 hours before regular Mincha, and Sunday 6:30 AM.
Tehillim – Wednesday mornings. Contact Arleeta Lerner for details 301-649-0552 – will resume after Pesach.
Kemp Mill Pirchei – For boys, first through sixth grade in the Yeshiva classrooms, Shabbos afternoons, 4:00 PM – 4:55 PM. If you're interested in sponsoring, please contact, firstname.lastname@example.org
Alfred House Shalom Kosher – The Alfred House Assisted Living for Seniors facility here in Kemp Mill is no longer under the Vaad Harabanim of Greater Washington.
Akiva Basketball Academy – Registration is now open! Session June 16 – 20 from 9:00 AM to 4:30 PM for boys entering grades 5-8. The program will feature technique training, conditioning clinics, innovative drills, skill competitions, tournaments, Kosher catered lunch, and much more. For more information contact AkivaBasketballAcademy@gmail.com
SAVE THE DATE! MJBHA 70th Anniversary Celebration – Monday, June 9, 6:30 PM, Beth Sholom Congregation. Honoring Sy Zukerman, Community Service Award, and Susan Koss, Faculty Honoree. To join the committee or for more information, contact Jennifer Zukerman at email@example.com or 301.962.9400 ext. 5183, www.mjbha.org/events
Job Assist Events:
* Transition to Employment Open House – April 7, 7:00 PM – 9:00 PM. Learn about JSSA's Transitioning Youth Services, at JSSA's Ina Kay Building, 200 Wood Hill Rd. Free. To register: contact Nicole Puckerin-Borde at: 301-587-9666 or firstname.lastname@example.org
* Branding Yourself for the Job Search – April 9, 12:30 PM – 2:00 PM. Learn the Basics of Social Media & Networking to make connections for your job search, at Rockville Memorial Library. Free. No pre-registration required. Information: 301-610-8380 or email@example.com
The Week Ahead
Sunday, April 6 Monday, April 7 Tuesday, April 8 Wednesday, April 9 Thursday, April 10 Friday, April 11
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
University 8:00 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Sephardi 7:30 6:05 6:15 6:15 6:05 6:15
Arcola 7:25 7:25 7:25 7:25 7:25 See Shabbos schedule
University N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 5:52 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:52 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:44 PM
April 11-12, 2014 – 12 Nissan 5774
Parshas Acharei Mos – Shabbos HaGadol
Light Candles by 7:23 – Havdalah 8:24
* Light Candles by 7:23
* Mincha 7:25 (Arcola and University) 7:00 (Sephardi and Nusach Sefard)
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 5:00, 6:35 (Sephardi), 6:30 (Univ.), 6:50 (Arcola)
* Maariv/Havdalah 8:24
Friday, April 11 Ruach Minyan, 7:00, Arcola Social Hall
Shabbos, April 11-12 Pre-Pesach Meals (see flyer)
Shabbos, April 26 Siyum Tanach after Mincha, Arcola Social Hall
Monday, April 28 Annual Yom Hashoah Program, at KMS
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, April 9, at 12 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Dr. Marc Katz – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Alan Zimmerman – Executive Director