Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
July 17-18, 2015 – 2 Av 5775 – Parshas Matos/Masei
Light Candles by 8:14 (and not before 7:01) – Havdalah 9:19
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Marla & Marty Teichman in memory of Jeffrey's eighth Yahrzeit.
* Jacqueline & Rabbi Haim Arzouan on the birth of their first great-grandchild, Ruth, born to Tal & Daniel Aghbashoff, of Brooklyn. The new grandparents are Aviva & Eilan Aghbashoff.
* Jacqueline & Rabbi Haim Arzouan on the Bar Mitzvah of their grandson, Yossef Aghbashoff, son of Aviva & Eilan Aghbashoff, of Kew Gardens, NY.
* Light Candles by 8:14, and not before 7:01
Arcola: 6:45, 7:15, 8:15 University: 7:15 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 8:10 University: 8:10 Sephardi: 7:50 Nusach Sefard: 8:10
* Maariv/Havdalah: 9:19
* Sephardi Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Silver
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Josh Blaustein
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* 8:00 Minyan – Melanie & Sandy Karlin and family in commemoration of the 6th Yahrzeit of their mother, grandmother and great-grandmother, Katie Karlin, Kayla Gittel Bat Shimon Ber.
* Sephardi Minyan – Nino Srour in memory of his father-in-law Yehuda Yaakov Ben Harav Chayim Zalman and by Moshe Nissan in memory of his father Yaakov Ben Chachla.
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group".
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, behind balcony.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 6:50 PM.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher – Shiur at 6:35 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 7:20 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur at 7:40 PM, Belonofsky Sanctuary.
* Rabbi Pinchas Green – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola. (Rabbi Green is the Mashgiach at Kamenitz Yeshiva)
* Rabbi Barry Greengart – Shiur after Mincha at University.
YISE Programs and Listings
YISE Together-for-5 – Continues with a series of audio Shiurim by Rabbi Rosenbaum about "The Haftoros of the Three Weeks." For more info, visit www.yise.org/together-for-5
Going Deep – The Meaning of the Amidah – Series of Monday night Shiurim with Rabbi Rosenbaum for men and women. Meets through July 27 from 8:00 PM to 9:30 PM. in the small Social Hall. Part of the YISE Meaningful Tefilah Project (Mincha and Maariv are part of the class). New attendees welcome. Previous Shiurim can be downloaded at www.yise.org
Sefer Daniel: Template for Exile, Vision of Redemption – Six-part summer series for women given by Rebbetzin Atara Rosenbaum, meets on Tuesdays, through July 28, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
High Holiday Seat Planning – Seat forms and information were mailed to all members this past week. The Seating Committee will at the Arcola Social Hall lobby this Sunday, July 19, from 10:00 AM to 12:00 Noon to accept and assist in completing forms. The seating forms and information is also available on the Shul web site. The form can be completed on-line. It can then be mailed or dropped over with payment at the Shul or e-mailed with credit card information or call the Shul bookkeeper with credit card numbers.
Does the Keilim Mikvah being built by the Shul make you more curious about its Halachos? You can hear a series of 5 minute Shiurim from Rabbi Rosenbaum at audio.yise.org Rabbi Rosenbaum hopes to have Shiurim relating to the building of a Keilim Mikvah and Halachos of its use available over the coming weeks.
Lost and Found – Unclaimed clothing and other items have been collected in the downstairs coat room. They will be removed on Monday, August 5.
Dedicate a Brick, and Help Build a Keilim Mikvah – Dedicate a brick in the path to the Cheryl Stern Community Keilim Mikvah at YISE. Your engraved brick will be placed on the sidewalk in front of the Mikvah. Donations are 100% tax deductible. For more details visit: http://wp.yise.org/dedicate-a-brick/
Take Me Out to the Ballgame – Join the YISE Social Committee to see the Washington Nationals take on the Colorado Rockies, Sunday, August 9. Game Time: 1:35 PM. Limited tickets available: $10/each. To RSVP and purchase tickets contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill – YISE's Chesed Committee has a program to help members undergoing serious medical crises. If you or someone you know needs help with meals, carpools, childcare, etc., or to volunteer, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org . If you are unable to cook a meal or help out, but would like to make a donation to Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill, please contact Simi Franco in the office.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash – now learning Sefer Yonah.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women. A mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evening at 7:30 PM at the Magendzo home, 11617 Yeatman Terrace. Refreshments provided by the hosts.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM – Program is on break and will resume on August 16.
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network's Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or email@example.com
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah – Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the Social Hall; Maariv to follow – Program is on summer break and will resume in Elul.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men – Shiur is on summer break and will resume in August.
* GWCK Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency, Thursdays at 8:45 PM in the small Social Hall – will not meet this week.
Tisha B'Av Schedule
Shabbos, July 25 – Erev Tisha B'Av
* Fast Begins 8:26 PM
* Maariv (Arcola Belonofsky Sanctuary, Nusach Sefard and University) 9:13 PM
* Maariv (Sephardi) 9:30 PM
* Eicha (All locations above plus Youth Social Hall) 9:35 PM
Sunday, July 26 – Tisha B'Av
* Arcola Belonofsky Sanctuary 6:30 AM
* Sephardi 7:30 AM
* Arcola Belonofsky Sanctuary – including Kinos with Commentary by Rabbi Rosenbaum 8:30 AM
* Chatzos 1:15 PM
* Early Mincha (Arcola Belonofsky Sanctuary) 2:00 PM
* Chofetz Chaim & Project Inspire Videos (Social Hall) 2:45 PM
* Regular Mincha (Arcola Belonofsky Sanctuary) 7:50 PM
* Sephardi – Mincha / Maariv 8:00 PM
* Maariv (Arcola Belonofsky Sanctuary) 8:45 PM
* Fast Ends 9:12 PM
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will NOT meet this week. The Minyan will resume on Shabbos Parshas Shoftim, August 22.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before regular Mincha.
Women's Discussion Group – Shabbos afternoons, 5:30 PM at the home of Mrs. Klavan, 1006 Lamberton Drive – will not meet this week.
Tehillim – Wednesday mornings. Contact Arleeta Lerner for details 301-649-0552.
The Woodside Ballard Street Outdoor Keilim Mikvah, at 8901 Georgia Avenue (corner Ballard), under the Mikvah Emunah Society, is now operational.
End of Life: The Sanctity of Life – The Dignity of Death – All are invited to a community-wide medical symposium, Sunday, July 19, 3:0 PM at the Wheaton Glen Ballroom. Featured speakers include Professor Dr. Abraham Steinberg, Dr. Barry Kinzbrunner, and Simeone Frost, RN MS CHPN. Moderated by Dr. Joseph Scheller; followed by a question and answer session. Light refreshments served. Space is limited; for complimentary registration, contact firstname.lastname@example.org A project of the Friedman Kollel of Metropolitan Washington and the Rabbi Samuel and Zehava Friedman Jewish Learning Exchange.
Embracing our Purpose during the Three Weeks – Mrs. Orit Esther Riter, blogger and author of "A Daily Dose of Emuna," from Israel, will be speaking at a brunch and learn at the Kern home. Tuesday, July 21, 11:00 AM. She will have copies of her newly released book and mp3s available for sale. Cost is $15 for the brunch and learn. Dedications and memorial sponsorships are available. Please contact Chava for more info at email@example.com Since seating is limited, reservations are greatly encouraged.
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, July 22, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
The Yom Kippur Avodah and Us – The Mesorah Women's Learning Institute is proud to present Mrs. Rochie Reingold with a text based shiur. Tuesday and Wednesday July 28 and 29, 10:00 AM – 11:30 AM at YISE. Tuition $18. Childcare $5 per child reservations for childcare required. For more information or to register contact Sorah Rivkah Goodman at 301-681-6347. For Women Only.
Dirshu Daf Yomi B'Halacha on Hilchos Tefillin. With Rabbi Eli Reingold, learn Mishna Brurah on Monday – Thursday evenings, 35 minutes before Mincha at YISE Arcola. For information contact him at 301-996-5910 or email@example.com
Workplace Skills Workshops:
* Resumes, Interviewing, and Federal Jobs – Free classes for Montgomery County residents. Info and register at http://montgomeryworks.org/calendar.asp
The Week Ahead
Sunday, July 19 Monday, July 20 Tuesday, July 21 Wednesday, July 22 Thursday, July 23 Friday, July 24
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 6:15, 7:10 6:20, 7:15 6:20, 7:15 6:15, 7:10 6:20, 7:15
Arcola 8:15 8:15 8:15 8:15 8:15 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 8:10 8:10 8:10 8:10 8:10
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 5:01 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:35 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:51 PM
July 24-25, 2015 – 9 Av 5775
Parshas Devarim – Shabbos Chazon
Light Candles by 8:09 – Havdalah 9:13
* Light Candles by 8:09, and not before 6:57
Arcola: 6:40, 7:10, 8:10 University: 7:15 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 6:00 University: 6:00 Sephardi: 5:30 Nusach Sefard: 6:00
* Maariv/Havdalah: 9:13 (Fast begins at 8:26)
Sunday, July 19 High Holiday Seat Planning – 10:00 AM to 12:00 Noon
Tuesday, July 21 YISE Board Meeting, 9:00 PM
Sunday, August 9 Take Me Out to the Ballgame
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, July 22 at 12 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director