Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
August 5-6, 2016 – 2 Av 5776 – Parshas Matos / Masei
Light Candles by 7:56 (and not before 6:47) – Havdalah 8:58
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Vivian Kirshenbaum with Weichert Realtors Office: 301-681-0560 Cell: 301-318-1313
* Dana & Joshua Dachman on the birth of a son. Mazal Tov also to siblings Yehuda and Riva. The Shalom Zachor will be held at 604 Lamberton Drive at 9:45 PM.
* Simi & Sammy Franco on the birth of their new grandson, Yosef, born to Jessi & Nathan Franco. Mazal Tov also to the greatgrandparents Janet Rottenberg and Dottie & Nathan Franco and to all the aunts, uncles and cousins.
* Esti & Yehuda Strauss on the birth of a son. Mazal Tov to big sister Eliana, to the grandparents Frank & Bella Strauss and Carmen Velazquez, and to all the aunts and uncles. The Shalom Zachor will be held at 11529 Daffodil Lane at 9:30 PM.
Please note: All Minyanim at University are cancelled this week.
* Light Candles by 7:56, and not before 6:47
Arcola: 6:30, 7:00, 8:00 University: N/A Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 University: N/A Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
The 9:15 Minyan meets in the Small Social Hall.
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 7:55 University: N/A Sephardi: 7:35 Nusach Sefard: 7:55
* Maariv/Havdalah: 8:58
* 8:00 and 9:15 Minyanim Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Silver
* Sephardi Minyan Rabbi Pinchas Green
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* 8:00 Minyan – Gil, Aliza, Simcha, and Bina Chlewicki in commemoration of the first Yahrzeit (4 Av) of Gil's father, Meir Chlewicki (Meir Ben Gronim HaLevi).
* Sephardi Minyan – Shulah & Popi
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* 9:15 Minyan – Alex Oppenheimer
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, behind the balcony.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 6:50 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Pinchas Green – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual selfimprovement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Social Hall. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evening at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM – program will resume in September.
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network's Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or email@example.com
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah – Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the Social Hall – program will resume September 6.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:20 PM at University.
* GWCK Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency, Thursdays, 8:45 PM – 9:30 PM in the small Social Hall – program will resume in September.
YISE Programs and Listings
Welcome – We are pleased to have Rav Pinchas Green, Mashgiach of the Kaminetz Yeshiva in Yerushalayim, joining us for Shabbos. He will speak at the Sephardi minyan in the morning and at Arcola between Mincha and Maariv.
Rebuilding the Bais Hamikdash through Understanding its Destruction – Shiur for women with Rabbi Rosenbaum. Sunday, August 7, at 8:30 PM at the home of Masha Schore, 911 South Belgrade Road.
YISE Together-for-5 – Continues with a new series of audio Shiurim by Rabbi Rosenbaum about Perspectives on Challenges. For more info, visit www.yise.org/together-for-5
Mother's Day Shalosh Seudos – Since Mother's Day was too close to Pesach this year, it will be held on Shabbos, August 20, 5:00 PM – 7:00 PM. Speaker: Eva Kalusin Topic: "How Mom Survived the Holocaust in Poland and Communism in Cuba" Sponsors and set-up/ clean-up volunteers should contact firstname.lastname@example.org
High Holiday Planning:
* The office has sent out information about High Holiday seats, Hashomer New Year Greetings and a new Yizkor Guide, with relevant Tefillos, that will be different from than any previous ones and will benefit the Shul.
* High Holiday seating forms will be accepted or assistance given to complete the forms on Sunday, August 7, from 10:00 AM to 12:00 Noon at Arcola in the Social Hall lobby.
* YISE Youth is pleased to offer babysitting for Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur for children ages 2-5 from 10:00 AM – 1:00 PM for $10 per day. Please fill out the form and submit payment for your spot. Only 20 spots available each day. For more info, contact email@example.com
Call for Articles for the High Holiday Edition of HaShomer – All we can do to continually improve and enhance the content of our Hashomer makes it more valuable for our members and attractive for our advertisers. We have a rich and broad resource of knowledge in our community and you are invited to share. It is a terrific opportunity to offer your unique knowledge, expertise and talents. Articles should be short (500 words or less) and of general interest to our membership. Articles are subject to approval and editing as is deemed appropriate. Submit articles to firstname.lastname@example.org by August 22.
Shomrai Nursery is looking to hire a lead teacher for the two-year-old and Pre-K classes for the 2016-2017 school year. We are also seeking part-time and full-time assistants. For more information, please check the school's website: nursery.yise.org/positions-available Send resume and cover letter to Ruthie Cohen at email@example.com
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will NOT meet this week, and will resume at the end of the summer.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Early care for 2-5 year-olds runs from 9:30-10:00. Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
The Youth Committee is looking for new group leaders for next year (girls and boys). Time can be counted as Chesed hours. There are special activities for leaders as appreciation.
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before regular Mincha.
Dirshu Daf Yomi B'Halacha on Hilchos Krias HaTorah, learn Mishna Brurah with Rabbi Eli Reingold, Monday – Thursday, 40 minutes before Mincha in the YISE Social Hall. For information contact him at 301-996-5910 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Kesuvos. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more information, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Tehillim – Wednesday mornings. Contact Arleeta Lerner at 301-649-0552.
Shiur on Parsha – This Shabbos, August 6, at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 316, at 5:00 PM.
In One Split Second – The Mesorah Women's Learning Institute presents a Project Witness event for the Nine Days. A documentary film on the destruction of Hungarian Jewry. Monday, August 8. Mincha at 8:00 PM, film immediately following, at YISE. Men and women invited. $5 admission.
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, August 10, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at email@example.com for more information.
Boys SEED Summer Learning at YGW–Tiferes Gedaliah – For rising 6th-11th graders. August 15 – 25, 8:30 AM – 2:30 PM. 8:30 AM Davening/breakfast, 9:30 AM learning, 11:30 AM lunch, 12:00 Noon activity, 1:00 PM swimming, 2:30 PM pick up. Please bring cereal and a baggedl unch, we will provide milk and paper goods. Drop of: YISE. Pick up: YGW Boys Campus. Cost: $50 per week per student, $75 for full program – Trips cost extra. To sign up or for more information contact Rabbi Simmy Merkin at firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-962-5111 ext 1522.
Workplace Skills Workshop:
* Federal Job Search – Cracking the Code – Free webinar. Tuesday, August 9, 8:00 PM to 9:00 PM. Info and register at www.federaljobresults.com
Help our Senior Neighbors – What if you had to give up your car keys and depend on someone else to get you where you need to go? This is happening to more and more of our senior neighbors. Consider volunteering with the Senior Connection to drive seniors to medical appointments. Training and liability coverage are provided, and you can set your own volunteering schedule. Contact email@example.com, call 301-962-0820 or visit www.seniorconnectionmc.org for more information.
Tisha B'Av Schedule
Shabbos, August 13 – Erev Tisha B'Av
* Fast Begins 8:05 PM
* Maariv (Arcola Belonofsky Sanctuary, Nusach Sefard and University) 8:48 PM
* Maariv (Sephardi) 9:05 PM
* Eicha (All locations above plus Youth Social Hall) 9:10 PM
Sunday, August 14 – Tisha B'Av
* Arcola Belonofsky Sanctuary 6:30 AM
* Sephardi 7:30 AM
* Arcola Belonofsky Sanctuary – including Kinos with Commentary by Rabbi Rosenbaum 8:30 AM
* Chatzos 1:13 PM
* Early Mincha (Arcola Belonofsky Sanctuary) 2:00 PM
* Video Programs (Arcola Social Hall):
* Chofetz Chaim Heritage Foundation #1 2:45 PM
* Chofetz Chaim Heritage Foundation for Youth 2:45 PM
* Project Inspire 4:40 PM
* Chofetz Chaim Heritage Foundation #2 5:45 PM
* Regular Mincha (Arcola Belonofsky Sanctuary) 7:25 PM
* Sephardi – Mincha / Maariv 7:35 PM
* Maariv (Arcola Belonofsky Sanctuary) 8:20 PM
* Fast Ends 8:47 PM
The Week Ahead
Sunday, August 7 Monday, August 8 Tuesday, August 9 Wednesday, August 10 Thursday, August 11 Friday, August 12
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 6:10, 7:10 6:15, 7:15 6:15, 7:15 6:10, 7:10 6:15, 7:15
Arcola 7:55 7:55 7:55 7:55 7:55 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 7:50 7:50 7:50 7:50 7:50
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 5:23 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:44 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:49 PM
August 12-13, 2016 – 9 Av 5776
Parshas Devarim – Shabbos Chazon
Light Candles by 7:48 – Havdalah 8:48
* Light Candles by 7:48, and not before 6:40
Arcola: 6:25, 6:50, 7:50 University: 7:15 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 6:00 University: 6:00 Sephardi: 5:30 Nusach Sefard: 6:00
* Maariv/Havdalah: 8:48 (Fast begins at 8:05)
Tuesday, August 9 YISE Board of Directors Meeting, 7:30 PM
Shabbos, August 20 Mother's Day Shalosh Seudos
Like YISE on Facebook: facebook.com/YIShomraiEmunah
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, August 10 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director