Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
July 21-22, 2017 – 28 Tammuz 5777 – Parshas Matos/Masei – Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 8:11 (and not before 6:59) – Havdalah 9:15
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week in memory of Jeffrey Teichman on his tenth Yahrzeit.
* Rosanne & Howard Benn and former members Ahuva & Yaakov Lipman on the Bar Mitzvah of their grandson and nephew, Yehuda Leib Lipman, son of Miriam & Rabbi Dovid Lipman of Beitar Illit, Israel. Mazal Tov to the other grandparents Karen & Bernie Lipman of Woodside and to all of the aunts, uncles and cousins.
* Leah Covel on the marriage of her daughter, Kfirah Devorah, to Shy Shalom HaLevi, son of Bracha & Eliezer HaLevi of Rosh HaAyin, Israel, in Tel Aviv on July 3. Mazal Tov to the siblings, Shoshana & Eliezer Kolatch, Galya & Raphael Covel, and Barak Covel.
* Bubie Dottie & Abu Jidoh Nat Franco on the birth of a great-grandson, Daniel Leo, their sixteenth great-grandchild, to their grandchildren, Jessica & Natie D. Franco, son of Sarina & Danny Franco. Mabrook to the entire Franco clan.
* Adina & Fred Friedman on the birth of a grandson to their children Rena & Eliezer Snow of Washington Heights. Mazal Tov to all of the relatives.
* Light Candles by 8:11, and not before 6:59
Arcola: 6:45, 7:15, 8:15 Sephardi: 7:15 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
The 9:15 Minyan will Daven at the Yeshiva.
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 8:10 Sephardi: 7:50 Nusach Sefard: 8:10
* Maariv/Havdalah: 9:15
* 8:00 and 9:15 Minyanim Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* Sephardi Minyan – Esti & Oded Tapiro in memory of their daughter, Noy Rut Bat Esti; and Moshe Nisan in memory of his father,Yaakov Ben Chachla.
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* 9:15 Minyan – "The 9:15 Group"
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, behind the balcony.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 7:05 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the Balcony
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evening at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM. Choose from classes:
* Timeless Talmud with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Before We Begin with Rabbi Yonatan Zakem
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network Presents:
* Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for Men and Women, Tuesday mornings 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM.
* Rabbi Raphael Malka's Mishnah Class for Men, Tuesday mornings, 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM.
* For more information: 301-732-1773 or email@example.com
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur – will resume in August.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Shiur – will resume in August.
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for Men and Women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Wednesdays, 9:15 PM, Small Beis Medrash – will resume Wednesday, August 30.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai).
* Men – will resume on Monday, August 28.
* Women – will resume in the fall.
YISE Programs and Listings
Meaningful Mourning: A Perspective on the Nine Days – Shiur for women with Rabbi Silver, Shabbos afternoon, at the home of Michal & Duvie Merkin, 900 Hyde Road, at 5:00 PM.
YISE Together-for-5 – Continues with a new series of audio Shiurim by Rabbi Rosenbaum about Halachos of Preparing Food on Shabbos. For more info, visit www.yise.org/together-for-5
High Holiday Seat Planning Information – Members of the Seating Committee will be available at the Arcola Social Hall lobby this Sunday, July 23 from 10:00 AM to 12:00 Noon to accept and assist in completing forms. Forms and instructions for obtaining seats are available on the shul web site at www.yise.org/seats Forms can also be found in the announcement boxes outside the Belonofsky Sanctuary and the Beis Medrash.
Lost and Found – All coats will be removed from the lower lobby coatroom on Thursday, July 27.
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish History on Monday, August 7, 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM at 1111 University Blvd. West in the Penthouse. Light refreshments will be served. For information, please contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Capitol Kosher Pantry – A CKP collection box is in our lower lobby. Donations are accepted at any time. Please consider those in our community who depend on the CKP and bring a donation when you come for Tisha B'Av programming. Non-perishable food in sealed non-breakable containers within the "use by" date are requested. Items such as juice, cereal, proteins, mac and cheese, baking goods (in bags please), and diapers are very much appreciated. For more information, please visit www.yadyehuda.org
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
YISE Disability Awareness and Inclusion
YISE is broadening its ongoing efforts to increase participation for individuals with disabilities within our community. There are two exciting initiatives underway and your help would be appreciated. The Sagon House of the Jewish Foundation of Group Homes (JFGH) is located just outside of Kemp Mill on Colt Terrace. JFGH has approached YISE about helping the Jewish adults who live there become true members of our community. In addition, the YISE Disability Awareness and Inclusion Committee is now officially in formation. The primary goal of this new committee is to identify ways that we can better support our community members with disabilities when they come to Shul. If you would be interested in participating in one or both of these initiatives, please contact Debbie Katz at 301-675 6684 or email@example.com
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Social Hall, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Early care for 2-5 year-olds runs from 9:30-10:00. Groups for all ages run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
The YISE Youth Committee wants YOUR help!! Check your email, Facebook or the Shul website and fill out the NEW YISE Youth Survey with your family's information!
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before regular Mincha.
Learn Mishnah Brurah Hilchos Shabbos in 18 Months – Shiur for men with Rabbi Eli Reingold. Monday through Thursday, 40 minutes before Mincha at YISE. Questions? Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Kesuvos. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more information, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive a new Daily Halacha every morning in your inbox! To join, send a blank email with "Subscribe" in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Road
The Value of Modesty – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for women, based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM, 609 Hyde Road.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: gemachexchange.com
Pirkei Avos Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, July 22 at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 906, at 5:00 PM. (Please note new time.)
Once Upon A Family: The Saga of Polish Jewry, a Holocaust Story – A Nine Days event presented by the Mesorah Women's Learning Institute. A Project Witness Video Event. Tuesday, July 25, 7:00 PM. YISE Small Social Hall. Donation $10. Open to men and women. For more information or sponsorship opportunities contact Sorah Rivkah Goodman at email@example.com
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, July 26, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Ko-ach Sports Presents a Summer Track Meet! Join us for a new Jewish Community event! Sunday, August 27, 4:00 PM – 6:00 PM, Montgomery Blair H.S. Track. Have your kids get the feel of a real track meet by running, jumping and racing their friends! Prepare for speed in the sprinter starting blocks and make the baton hand off in the relay race! Girls K-4th Grade and Boys K- 8th Grade. Race your friends! Top finishers in each race receive a ribbon. Register online at www.Ko-achSports.com or contact Josh Hollander at Info@Ko-achSports.com
Avos U'banim – Every Shabbos afternoon, 5:15 PM – 6:00 PM, at Ohr Hatorah. Open to the entire community. Food and treats provided. Questions: contact Jared Hershenson at email@example.com
The Unveiling of the Matzaiva of Dr. George Weiss, Z"L, will take place at 11:00 AM on Sunday, July 30, at Mt. Lebanon Cemetery.
OU Survey – The OU is conducting a national survey of the Orthodox community. If you are interested in participating please visit
http://bit.ly/Orthodox-Survey and complete the survey by August 31.
Donor Needed – A member of the Baltimore community is in need of a kidney transplant. If you are 18 or older, you may be eligible to become a donor. Any blood type is compatible. For more information about the process and how to be tested, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org Please also forward this message to family members, friends and co-workers who might consider becoming a donor. Absolute confidentiality is assured.
Boys SEED Summer Learning at YGW–Tiferes Gedaliah – SEED Summer Learning and Activity Program for rising 6th-11th graders. Wednesday, August 2 – Tuesday, August 15, 8:30 AM – 2:30 PM. 8:30 AM Davening/ Breakfast; 9:30 AM Learning; 11:30 AM Lunch; 12:00 Noon Activity; 1:00 PM Swimming; 2:30 PM Pick up. Please bring cereal and a bagged lunch. We will provide milk and paper goods. Drop off: YISE. Pick up: YGW Boys Campus. Cost: $75 per week per student, $125 for full program. Trips cost extra. To register or for more information contact Rabbi Simmy Merkin at email@example.com, 301-962-5111 ext 1522.
BCGW MitzvahCycle 2017 – Sunday, September 10. Raise money for BCGW and help us save lives one pedal at a time! Registration required and sponsorships are available. Information can be found at www.bikurcholimgw.org Register by July 27 and receive a free biking jersey.
The Week Ahead
Sunday, July 23 Monday, July 24 – Rosh Chodesh Tuesday, July 25 Wednesday, July 26 Thursday, July 27 Friday, July 28
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:10, 6:35, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 7:10 7:15 7:15 7:10 7:15
Arcola 8:10 8:10 8:10 8:10 8:10 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 8:05 8:05 8:05 8:05 8:05
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 5:06 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:37 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:51 PM
July 28-29, 2017 – 6 Av 5777
Parshas Devarim – Shabbos Chazon
Light Candles by 8:05 – Havdalah 9:08
* Light Candles by 8:05, and not before 6:54
Arcola: 6:40, 7:05, 8:05 Sephardi: 7:15 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 8:00 Sephardi: 7:40 Nusach Sefard: 8:00
* Maariv/Havdalah: 9:08
SAVE THE DATE:
YISE End of Summer BBQ
Labor Day, Monday, September 4
Like YISE on Facebook: facebook.com/YIShomraiEmunah
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, July 26 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday-Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager