Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
July 14 – 15, 2023 – 26 Tammuz 5783 – Parashas Matos/Masei/Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 8:15, not before 7:02 – Havdalah 9:21
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored by Sara Silver to commemorate the 35th Yahrzeit of Nat Kates, Z"L,
and by Marla & Marty Teichman to commemorate the upcoming Yahrzeit of their dear son Jeffrey, Yosef Yonah Ben Avraham Menachem Mendel, Z"L, on the 29th of Tammuz.
The YISE Communications Committee hopes you are enjoying the shorter Shabbos Shorts! Have a comment or suggestion? Please send us your feedback at email@example.com
B = Belonofsky Sanctuary, S = Social Hall, LBM = Large Beis Medrash, SBM = Small Beis Medrash, H = The House
* Mincha: 6:45 (Plag, S), 7:15 (B), 8:15 (B), 7:15 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (LBM/SBM), 8:30 (Sephardi, S)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 5:00 (B), 7:55 (B), 8:10 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shalosh Seudos: 8:20 (S)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 9:21
* 8:45 Main Minyan (B) Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 9:15 Minyan (LBM/SBM) Rabbi Postelnek
* Hashkamah Minyan Gemara Shiur (H) Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Kedushas Levi Chabura – 8:55 (LBM/SBM) Rabbi Postelnek
* Shiur before Mincha – 7:10 (B) Rabbi Postelnek
* Luna & Avi Perez on the Bar Mitzvah of their son Moshe. Mazal Tov also to grandparents, Terez Perez and Moshe Perez and Simi & Sammy Franco, great-grandmother Janet Rottenberg, Moshe's siblings, Sammy and Esty, and the entire Franco, Hayun, Perez and Rottenberg Families.
* Diana & Leonard Ruchelman on the birth of a greatgranddaughter, Dalia Minna, to Sarah & Rabbi Dr. Ezra Cowan, grandparents Cindy & Charles Ruchelman of White Oak and Chaya & Rabbi Yirmiyahu Cowan of Jerusalem.
* Miriam & Yechiel Tzvi Weill and to Joan Weill on the engagement of their daughter, Margolit, to Eli Russ, from Washington, DC. Mazal Tov to grandmother Charlotte Weill and to the entire Weill family, and to grandfather Richard Sincoff, and to Eli's parents Eve & Dr. Moish Russ.
* Roz Malin and Izzy Miller on the passing of their brother, Perry B. Miller, and to Zvi Malin on the passing of his uncle.
Kiddush/Shalosh Seudos Sponsors
* The Hashkamah Minyan Kiddush is sponsored by the Hashkamah Minyan Group
* The Shul Kiddush is sponsored by Avi & Luna Perez in honor of the Bar Mitzvah of their son Moshe.
* The Shalosh Seudos is sponsored by Kemp Mill Jewish War Veterans Post #360, to welcome the three active-duty families arriving in Kemp Mill, and bid farewell to the two active-duty families leaving for new assignments.
YISE Youth Announcements
Shabbos Groups this Shabbos, July 15, from 10:00 AM until Shul ends.
* Toddler Group (under 3 with a parent) – in the Toddler Room in the Lower Lobby
* Kinder Group (3 to 5) – upstairs in the room behind the balcony
* Boys ages 6 – 9 & Girls ages 6 – 9 – in The House.
* 5th and 6th grade girls – In The House
* Jr. Congregation for 4th to 6th grade boys – in The House
Looking forward to seeing your children on Shabbos! For more information, contact Sharon Shimoff at firstname.lastname@example.org
Popsicles in the Park – Shabbos afternoons, July 15, July 29, August 5 and August 19. Meet at 4:30 PM at the Kemp Mill Urban Park to hear a Dvar Torah geared towards our youngest members, socialize and enjoy a refreshing popsicle! See flyer for details.
Teen Minyan – The Teen Minyan, led by Rabbi Moshe Holzer, will resume in the fall.
Boys Shiur – Rabbi Rosenbaum's Shabbos afternoon shiur for 5th and 6th grade boys, will resume in the fall.
* Seeing the Hand of Hashem in…Antisemitism? Rabbi Rosenbaum will speak this Sunday, July 16, 11:00 AM in the Belonofsky Sanctuary, and on Zoom A. Presented by the Meaningful Tefilah Project. See flyer for details.
* Follow YISE on WhatsApp for important announcements andupdates: https://wp.yise.org/whatsapp
* The Laws of Lashon Hara in the Modern World – A new series given by Rabbi Rosenbaum and Rabbi Postelnek. Gain familiarity with the laws and Hashkafos of Lashon Hara through practical examples and cases from daily life! Topics include social media, venting to family, Shidduch inquiries and more! Mondays, July 17 – 31, one hour before Mincha in the Belonofsky Sanctuary and on Zoom A. First Shiur is online at https://wp.yise.org/lashon-hara See flyer for details.
* Limud On Our Lawn – a YISE monthly summer learning project on front lawns and backyards in our community. On the 2nd Shabbos of each month, a different YISE family will host a learning opportunity exploring a Torah luminary. The next program will take place on August 12, at 6:00 PM at the home of Rabbi Alex and Blima Maged, 812 Kersey Road. Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman will speak on "Rav Shmuel Ben Hofni Gaon: An Early Rationalist Talmudist."
* The YISE Membership Directory is being updated. An email was sent to all members for whom we have an email address. If you did not receive it, please check your Spam/Junk/Trash folder. If it is not there, send an email to email@example.com and a copy will be sent to you shortly. Thank you for your cooperation.
* Garden of Remembrance cemetery plots are now available through YISE. If you have any questions pertaining to YISE cemetery options, please contact Larry Korb at firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-649-5714.
* Eruv Appeal – The Eruv urgently needs your financial support. You may recall that the Silver Spring Eruv Association did not conduct its annual appeal last year, so it has been 18 months since you were last asked to contribute. Please visit: https://wp.yise.org/eruv-2023 for more information and to contribute. The recommended contribution is $54 per family, but greater and lesser amounts are gratefully accepted. Please note that YISE generously hosts SSEA's website, but SSEA is an independent 501(c)(3) organization that does not receive financial support from any Shul or institution. Questions? Please email SilverSpringEruv@gmail.com
* Mazal Tov on the Birth of Your Son or Daughter! YISE can help organize meals. Contact Miriam Levson at 901-481-7133 or email@example.com or Rose Blynn at 410-522-8624 or firstname.lastname@example.org Send announcement details to email@example.com
* Happy Birthday! Happy Anniversary! Want to celebrate a Birthday or Anniversary? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for details. Thank you for your support.
* Shalosh Seudos – To sponsor, contact Simi Franco at 301-593-4465, ext. 103, or email@example.com Volunteers are needed to set up and clean up. Contact Ethan Cohen at firstname.lastname@example.org to be part of the rotation.
* Online YISE Cholim List – Go to https://wp.yise.org/cholim to add a name to the list. The list is used at the 8:45 Minyan on Monday, Thursday, and Shabbos. For questions about Mi Sheberach guidelines, contact Rabbi Rosenbaum. For other questions, contact Seth Katz at email@example.com
* Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill, a part of YISE's Chesed Committee, provides assistance to families undergoing medical crises. If you do not have a Helping Hands account, or if you have any questions, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com
* Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at https://audio.yise.org
Thank you to the Shabbos Shiurim Sponsors for this Past Week:
Hashkamah Minyan Gemara Shiur – David Jaray in honor of Rabbi Grossman and all those who attend his Shiur.
Want to sponsor a Shabbos or weekday Shiur? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for details. Thank you for your support.
The Week Ahead
Wednesday, July 19 -Rosh Chodesh
Halachic Times: Latest Alos Hashachar 4:23 AM, Earliest Talis and Tefilin: 4:58 AM, Latest Netz: 6:01 AM, Latest Krias Shema: 9:34 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:51 PM, Earliest Shkia: 8:28 PM, Latest Tzeis Hacochavim 9:20 PM
July 21 – 22, 2023 – 4 Av 5783
Parashas Devarim/Shabbos Chazon
Light Candles by 8:11, not before 6:58 – Havdalah 9:15
* Mincha: 6:40 (Plag, S), 7:15 (B), 8:15 (B), 7:15 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 5:00 (B), 8:10 (B), 8:10 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 9:15
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline:
Wednesday, July 19, at 12 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum
Rabbi Yosef Postelnek – Assistant Rabbi
Josh Seidemann – President
Simi Franco – Office Manager
Josh Breitstein – Facility Manager
Weekday and Community Announcements
Upcoming Community Programs & Listings
Mazal Tov! Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring will be making a Siyum on Maseches Bava Metzia and Horayos, Sunday, July 16, at 6:00 PM at the YGW (Boys Division dining room). Rabbi Shlomo Weinberger Maggid Shiur, YGW, will be the guest speaker and Dr. Reuven Schore, will be making the Siyum.
The Capital Closet will be open to the community this Sunday, July 16, 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM. Come peruse clothing for women, men, and children, as well as Torah School uniforms! Our address is 9601 Colesville Road, Silver Spring, MD 20901. The entrance is in the back of the building up a full flight of stairs. There is no charge, but donations to Yad Yehuda are always appreciated. We are unable to accept clothing donations at this time. Contact us with any questions at: email@example.com
Yad Yehuda's Annual School Supplies Drive is under way. Items needed include scotch tape, pencil sharpeners, mechanical pencils, markers, colored pencils, glue, paper, spiral notebooks, binders, rulers, scissors, highlighters and insulated lunch boxes. Donation boxes at 1212 North Belgrade Road and 9601 Colesville Road. Financial donations online at https://yadyehuda.org/donate
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington presents, as part of an ongoing series on topics related to mental health and well-being, "Learning to Sleep Better" with Dr. Mark Rosenblum. Sunday, July 23, 10:00 AMon Zoom. Register at https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZwucu-srj4oH9fbeEjtua5Ff8y5pSrRqp_9 For more info., go to www.bikurcholimgw.org
Nine Days Food Drive – Yad Yehuda's Capital Kosher Pantry needs your help to stock up with Pareve and dairy foods in preparation for The 9 Days. Drop-off at YISE and other area locations or ship to Capital Kosher Pantry. See flyer for details.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, July 19, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM, in person in the YISE Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator. Contact Manasseh Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Lisa Landy Memorial Fund – Lisa devoted the better part of the last three decades teaching pre-schoolers in Jewish schools in the Washington, DC area. Lisa was a staunch advocate of the Reggio Emilia teaching approach, which encourages students to direct their own learning and fosters their independent thinking and self-confidence. The Lisa Landy Memorial Fund was established to train teachers in local Jewish schools in the Reggio method. To make a taxdeductible donation or for more information, contact Eli Landy at 301-401-9475 or email@example.com
Please help our community complete these Siyumim:
* Mishnayos for the 1st Yahrzeit of Natalie Gabai, Nechama Naomi Bat Leib, December 21, 9 Tevet – https://www.lzechernishmas.com/signup.php?id=11044
* Mishnayos for the 1st Yahrzeit of Jerry Snyder, Yehoshua Ben Binyamin, December 21, 9 Tevet – https://hadranalach.com/2612
* Tanach for the 1st Yahrzeit of Marion Baras, Miriam Bas Menachem, January 1, 20 Tevet – https://hadranalach.com/2626
Recurring Community Programs & Listings
Rays of Wisdom – Life Lessons From Pirkei Avos – Greater Washington Community Kollel invites women of the community to a weekday morning text-based Chaburah led by Mrs. Channah Cohen. Mondays at 10:00 AM at the home of Mrs. Aviva Werner, 815 Lamberton Drive. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 773-219-5397.
Pirkei Avos: Ethics for Everyday Living – presented by Rabbi Hillel Shaps on Zoom. Wednesdays, 12:15 PM – 1:00 PM. For Zoom info and registration go to https://linksgw.org/classes
Zoom Shiurim with Rabbi Levy – Monday through Friday on Zoom, Meeting ID: 636 563 5989. Alshich – 9:20 AM – 10:15 AM. Gemara Ribit 10:15 AM – 11:30 AM. Hilchot Lashon Hara 12:45 PM – 1:45 PM.
YGW Kollel Zichron Amram Machshava – Probing Jewish Thought Through the Works of Rav Yitzchak Hutner, ZT"L, with Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold, Rosh Kollel, Sundays at 8:00 PM on Zoom, Meeting ID: 825 0731 6850, Passcode: 1216613. For more information, contact Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate at email@example.com
Dirshu – Join Kollel Dirshu of Silver Spring as we begin Maseches Bava Basra on Monday, August 7, at YGW. Daily morning shiur by Rabbi Eli Reingold at 5:45 AM and evening shiur by Ranon Cortell and Pinchas Werner at 9:00 PM. Chavrusas also available during these times. For more info. and to join our program, contact Hirsh Komarow (301) 681-1646 or firstname.lastname@example.org
TGN Program: Siddur Class – In-Depth Analysis of the Siddur with Mrs. Esther Dziadek, Wednesday mornings, 9:30 AM to 10:30 AM, on Zoom B. For more information, call 301-732-1773 or email email@example.com This Shiur is on hiatus in June and July.
Newly married? Growing family? Just need a budget check-up? IZUN is a community resource that provides free and confidential coaching to help you examine your budget and achieve financial stability. Go to https://getizun.org oremail us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets at the YGW Boys' Campus. Weekdays also online via a WebEx video conference. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at email@example.com to be added to the invite list. Sunday 8:30 AM, Monday – Thursday 8:45 PM. Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before the latest YISE Mincha.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
Options for in-person and remote learning are listed below. For the latest list and times, go to: https://wp.yise.org/remote-learning-schedule/
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim, followed by a 15-minute Halacha Shiur. Sunday through Thursday, 6:30 PM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim followed by a 15-minute Shiur on the Parsha. Monday through Friday, 9:30 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, now learning Sefer Iyov, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Women's Navi Shiur, now learning Sefer Shmuel, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, Zoom A.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings, 9:30 AM breakfast, 9:45 AM.
* Illuminating Inquiries in Halacha – Rabbi Yitzchak Mandel
* Judaism 102: Fundamentals for the Experienced Jew – Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Navigating Navi: Sefer Yehoshua – Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Parsha Perspectives: An Exploration of Engaging Parsha Topics – Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sundays at 10:00 AM, Zoom C.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM. For more info., contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, firstname.lastname@example.org 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Hillel Shaps – On the Same Page Gemara, starting the 3rd Perek of Kiddushin.
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Reading Responsa – Zoom E.
* Thursdays: Rabbi Avraham Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah Gemara Skills Building – Zoom F.
* For Women:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Parsha Journeys – Zoom D, will resume in the fall.
* SCP (Semichas Chaver Program) – Tuesdays at 8:45 PM at YISE. Presented by Rabbi Hillel Shaps. New Semester began Tuesday, May 2. Register at https://thegreaterwashingtoncommunitykollel.com/scp For more information please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps: email@example.com
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy's Gemara Shiur, Masechet Chulin, Sunday 7:35 AM – 8:22 AM, Monday through Friday, 6:35 AM – 7:22 AM, in the Franco Beit Midrash.
* Chavrusa Learning – Monday nights in the Social Hall, 8:30 PM – 9:30 PM. For more information, contact Rabbi Levy at 240-423-8810.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiurim for men & women, Mondays at 8:45 AM, studying Parashas Hashavua, Zoom B.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women, Tuesdays, 1:30 PM, "A Second Look – Stories in the Torah from a Deeper Perspective", in-person in the Small Beis Medrash and on Zoom G. This Shiur is on hiatus.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning the 7th Perek of Maseches Bava Metzia. Wednesday evenings, summer schedule to be determined, on Zoom H.
Connection Details: Go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call 301-715-8592 or 929-205-6099 and enter the meeting ID & password:
Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, password 492019
Zoom B: ID: 970 1398 4837, password 613
Zoom C: ID: 833 3477 1595, password RabbiHyatt
Zoom D: ID: 601 853 4021, passcode Winter (phone 667362)
Zoom E: ID: 746 455 2195, password Learn
Zoom F: ID: 803 356 4156, password Learn
Zoom G: ID: 713 7408 5130, password 045079
Zoom H: ID: 849 3898 4989, passcode 161699
Thank you to the Weekday Shiurim Sponsors for this Past Week:
Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur – David Jaray in memory of Rabbi Hyatt, Z"L, and in honor of Rabbi Grauman and all those who attend his Shiur and in memory of parents, Avraham Ben Tzvi HaLevi & Ada Bas Menachem Aryeh, Z"L, and Rabbi Hillel & Mrs. Myrna Klavan, Z"L.
Want to sponsor a Shabbos or weekday Shiur? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for details. Thank you for your support.