Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
July 13 – 14, 2018 – 2 Av 5778 – Parshas Matos/Masei
Light Candles by 8:16 – Havdalah 9:21
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Nechama Goodman: Hakaras Hatov to the many people who gave Nechama to me, my family and particularly, Chaya Leeba bat Yoseph, my mother, A"H. Especially because we had to sit Shiva at a great distance from Silver Spring. We had a Siyum for her Shloshim. People told me that it was very meaningful to them, B"H. If you want to read the speeches that were most inspiring, email me at email@example.com
* Stella Levy on the marriage of her daughter, Ariel Kirsch, to Pinny Trachtenberg, son of Carol & Teddy Trachtenberg of Far Rockaway, NY.
* Ellyn Tanenberg on the passing of her brother, Alan Resser. Shiva is being observed at 621 Kenbrook Drive until Tuesday morning. Visitors are requested 9:30 AM – 12:30 PM, 2:00 PM – 5:00 PM and 6:30 PM – 8:30 PM.
* Light Candles by 8:16, and not before 7:02
Ashkenazi: 6:45, 7:20, 8:20 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:00, 8:15 Sephardi: 8:00 Nusach Sefard: 8:15
* Maariv/Havdalah: 9:21
* 8:00, Youth Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:45 Main Minyan, 9:15 Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* 8:00 Minyan – Chana & Yonah Kupferstein to thank the Baalei Tefillah, Baalei Kriah and Gabbaim that make the 8:00 Minyan happen, including Ari Kanal, David Ginsberg, David Warshawsky, Yonah Mainzer, Yosi Scharf, Aaron & Dovid Cypess, Ori Carmel and Stuart Cohen.
* Sephardi Minyan – "Sephardic Group"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* 9:15 Minyan – Shevi & Scott Miller in honor of their children's many accomplishments.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, after Hashkamah Minyan, lower lobby.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 7:15 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self- improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony, will not meet on Friday.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evenings at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM, will resume August 12.
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for Men and Women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sundays, 7:35 PM, in the Social Hall.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Yonatan Zakem at email@example.com or 513-313-4899, will resume August 13.
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM – 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 7:00 AM – 7:45 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for Men and Women, Tuesday mornings 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM. For more information: 301-732-1773 or firstname.lastname@example.org
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Succah, Wednesdays at 7:00 PM in the Social Hall, will resume in late August.
YISE Programs and Listings
High Holidays are coming – The holiday seating committee will be in the Social Hall lobby on Sunday from 10AM to 12 Noon to accept applications and answer any questions. The seating form was mailed last week and is also available on the Shul website.
Come do a Mitzvah! Be part of a Community Service Day sponsored by YISE and KMS on Sunday, July 15, from 12 noon – 2:00 PM at A Wider Circle (distribution center) at 9159 Brookville Rd., Silver Spring, MD, 301- 608-3504. Great activity for most ages – individuals, families, and groups welcome. Upper School students get community service hours. For more info. and to RSVP, contact Miriam Friedman at email@example.com
"Comfort through Mourning" – women's shiur with Rabbi Rosenbaum, Sunday night, July 15, 8:30 PM at the home of Barbara Price, 1217 Arcola Avenue. Please park on Kersey, not Arcola.
Senior Lunch – Wednesday, July 18, 12:00 Noon, Social Hall. Joann Malone, "Mindful Meditation", sponsored by Synergy Homecare.
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish History on Monday, August 6 from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM at 1111 University Blvd. W. in the Penthouse. Light refreshments will be served. For more info, contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Lost & Found – Many hats and coats look the same. When you leave Shul, please check your hat and coat carefully to make sure you take the right ones, and remind any out-of-town guests to do the same.
YISE Membership Year – The YISE 2018-2019 membership year started July 1. If you are a member you should have received a statement. If you did not receive a statement, please contact the office at email@example.com or 301-593-4465. If you would like to join YISE, contact the office.
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program is a service to help members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help out. Please note that by signing up, you are not committing to help with anything specific. You will be notified when volunteers are needed, and if you are available at that time, we would appreciate if you could help. If you wish to be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Beis Medrash, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Friedman and Coplin families in honor of Edan and Benjamin's siyum on Masheches Ta'anis. Yasher koach!
Please join us this week for groups:
2-5 year-olds 9:30 AM – end of 8:45 minyan in the youth room behind the Balcony.
There will NOT be groups for 1st-4th grade this Shabbos.
Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Scholar in Residence – August 11
Rabbi Reuven Brand
The YISE Community Adult Education Project welcomes Rabbi Reuven Brand, Rosh Kollel, YU Torah Mitzion Kollel of Chicago, Bobins Family Chair in Community Jewish Scholarship, who will be our Scholar-in-Residence on Shabbos Re'eh, August 11. The schedule includes:
* After 8:45 AM Shacharis Minyan – "Elul: Somber or Celebration?" *Kiddush Follows*
* One Hour Before Mincha – "A Vision of Chesed"
* Between Mincha and Maariv – "The Secret to Preparing for the Days of Awe: Community"
Help Wanted at Shomrai Preschool
Lead Teacher – Shomrai Preschool is looking for a lead teacher for 2018-2019 who wants to be part of a collaborative team of professionals working together to ensure developmentally appropriate practice in a warm, nurturing, and creative setting. We provide a constructive approach with play/inquiry based learning. We are mindful of children's social and emotional development, as well as children's development in language and literacy, mathematical thinking, scientific and critical thinking, social studies, physical skills, art and creativity, health and safety awareness, and Judaic content. Send resumes to Suri Kinzbrunner at firstname.lastname@example.org
Tisha B'Av Schedule
Those planning to walk to shul while it is still Shabbos to attend Maariv Saturday night should bring their non-leather shoes to Shul before Shabbos.
Shabbos, July 21 – Erev Tisha B'Av
* Fast Begins 8:29 PM
* Maariv followed by Eicha (Belonofsky Sanctuary, Nusach Sefard, Sephardi, Youth Social Hall) 9:30 PM
Sunday, July 22 – Tisha B'Av
* Belonofsky Sanctuary 6:30 AM
* Sephardi 7:30 AM
* Belonofsky Sanctuary – including Kinos with Commentary by Rabbi Rosenbaum 8:30 AM
* Chatzos 1:15 PM
* Early Mincha (Belonofsky Sanctuary) 2:00 PM
* Video Programs (Social Hall):
* Chofetz Chaim Heritage Foundation Program A – 2:45 PM – Harav Elimelech Biderman, Rabbi Yissocher Frand, Rabbi Paysach Krohn
* Chofetz Chaim Heritage Foundation for Youth 2:45 PM
* Project Inspire 4:40 PM – "The Man at the Wall" – The story of a shy "ordinary" man who accomplished the extraordinary: Reb Meir Schuster ZT"L.
* Chofetz Chaim Heritage Foundation Program B – 5:45 PM – Rabbi Yechiel Spero, Dr. David Lieberman, PhD, Mr. Charlie Harary
* Regular Mincha (Belonofsky Sanctuary) 7:55 PM
* Sephardi – Mincha / Maariv 8:05 PM
* Maariv (Belonofsky Sanctuary) 8:50 PM
* Fast Ends 9:15 PM
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before Mincha.
Learn Mishnah Brurah Hilchos Shabbos in 18 Months – Shiur for men with Rabbi Eli Reingold. Monday through Thursday, 8:00 – 8:45 PM at the Boys Yeshiva. Questions? Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Nedarim. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more info, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
Rabbi Marvin Goldman's Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, July 14, at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 516, at 4:30 PM.
The Value of Modesty – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for women, based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM, 609 Hyde Road.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: gemachexchange.com
3 Weeks Series on the Holocaust with Mrs. Esther Schwartz, Holocaust historian. Presented by the Mesorah Women's Learning Institute, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM at the home of Mrs. Sorah Rivkah Goodman, 414 Neale Ct. July 17 – Part Three: Liberation! Tuition $10. For women only.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, July 18, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator & leader. Contact Debbie Katz at email@example.com for more information.
Mourning the Churban – Rabbanit Yemima Mizrahi video, Tuesday July 17, 8:15 PM at Ohr Hatorah.
Free Job-Related Webinars
* Cracking the Federal Job Code, July 23, 8:00PM – 8:30 PM
* Ace Your Next Interview, July 23, 8:30 PM – 9:00 PM
* Emotional Intelligence, July 24, 8:00 PM – 8:30 PM
For more info and to register, go to: federaljobresults.com/events.htm
Rebuilding the Bais Hamikdash by Building a Stronger Community – During this somber time of year, your support for the Capital Kosher Pantry of Yad Yehuda is as important as ever. Please help to sustain our local brothers and sisters in need by donating nonperishable qfood in sealed, non-breakable containers, within the "Use By" date. Juices, tuna, boxed macaroni and cheese, nuts, oil, salt, granola bars, paper towels, toilet paper, toothpaste and soap are very much appreciated. Collection boxes are located in many community Shuls, in Moti's Market and in Shalom Kosher. Please call 301-842-7135 ext. 706 for further assistance.
Help our Senior Neighbors – What if you had to give up your car keys and depend on someone else to get you where you needed to go? This is happening to more and more of our senior neighbors. Consider volunteering with the Senior Connection to drive seniors to medical appointments. Training and liability coverage are provided, and you can set your own volunteering schedule. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org, call 301-962-0820 or visit www.seniorconnectionmc.org
The Week Ahead
Sunday July 15 Monday July 16 Tuesday July 17 Wednesday July 18 Thursday July 19 Friday July 20
Ashkenazi 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 6:00, 7:15 6:10, 7:15 6:10, 7:15 6:00, 7:15 6:10, 7:15
Ashkenazi 8:20 8:20 8:20 8:20 8:20 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 8:15 8:15 8:15 8:15 8:15
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 4:58 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:34 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:51 PM
July 20 – 21, 2018 – 9 Av 5778
Parshas Devarim – Shabbos Chazon
Light Candles by 8:12 – Havdalah 9:16
* Light Candles by 8:12, and not before 6:59
Ashkenazi: 6:40, 7:15, 8:15 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:00, 8:10 Sephardi: 7:55 Nusach Sefard: 8:10
* Maariv/Havdalah: 9:30/9:16 (see Tisha B'Av schedule)
Wednesday, July 18 Senior Lunch, 12 Noon, Social Hall
Wednesday, July 25 YISE Board of Directors Meeting, 7:15 PM
Shabbos, August 11 Rabbi Reuven Brand, Scholar-in-Residence
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, July 18 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager