Parashas Masei – July 25-26, 2014
Download the July 26-26, 2014 Shabbos Shorts [PDF]
Sign up to get the Shabbos Shorts emailed to you each week
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
July 25-26, 2014 – 28 Tammuz 5774 – Parshas Masei – Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 8:08 (and not before 6:57)- Havdalah 9:11
* Light Candles by 8:08, and not before 6:57
* Mincha 6:45 (Social Hall), 7:00 (Sephardi, Nusach Sefard), 7:10, 7:15 (Univ.), 8:10
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 5:00, 7:50 (Sephardi), 8:05 (Arcola & Univ.)
* Maariv/Havdalah 9:11
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Silver
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Anthony Manning
* University Rabbi Barry Greengart
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* 8:00 Minyan – "The Chevra"
* University – "Mevorchim Hachodesh"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – YISE in honor of our Scholar-in-Residence, Rabbi Anthony Manning
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Anthony Manning – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Arona & Rabbi Amram Hes on the birth of a daughter. Mazal Tov to the grandparents, Sara & Rabbi David Hyatt and Debbie & Ezra Hes, and to all the siblings, aunts, uncles and cousins.
* Arleeta & Rabbi Dr. Ivan Lerner on the birth of a great-granddaughter, born to their grandchildren Sara Tova (Snider) & Akiva Miller of Yerushalayim. Mazal Tov to first time grandparents D'vorah (Lerner) & Rabbi Shmuel Miller of Cape Town, South Africa and Ruth & Mordechai Snider of Baltimore. Mazal Tov to great-grandparents Ilene & Henry Miller of Pisgat Ze'ev and Dr. & Mrs. Henry Snider, Dr. & Mrs Moshe Glasner and great-great-grandmother Dena Lerner Gerber.
* Anne & Scott Schlesinger on the engagement of their son, Joseph, to Brittney Cohen of Scranton, PA.
* Abby Tor, and former member Helen Griffin, on the passing of their father, Jack Fine. The funeral took place on Sunday in Richmond. Shiva was completed before Shabbos.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Haftoros Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver's Halacha Shiur for Men, Tuesdays at 7:30 PM, in the Social Hall. Each week will be a stand-alone topic and next we will be discussing "Using Crock Pots on Shabbos – Part Two."
* Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or firstname.lastname@example.org
* Beis Medrash Zichron Gedaliah for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall. (Mincha at 7:45 PM. Maariv at 9:00 PM.) – will resume later in the summer.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 6:50 PM at University – will not meet for the next few weeks.
* GWCK Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency, Thursdays at 8:45 PM – will not meet this week and will resume on September 4.
The Vaad Harabanim of Greater Washington invites the community to a gathering as a merit for the situation in Israel. Rabbi Yosef Singer of Young Israel Ezras Israel of Potomac will share words of inspiration, followed by Tehillim. The gathering will take place this Sunday, July 27, at 7:10 PM at KMS. Mincha/Maariv will follow at 8:05 PM.
YISE Programs and Listings
THIS WEEK: Scholar-in-Residence – Rabbi Anthony Manning, Senior Rav Mechanech, Michlelet Mevaseret Yerushalayim; Senior Lecturer, Midreshet Rachel v'Chaya College for Women and Shapell's Darche Noam Yeshiva.
* After 8:45 AM Shacharis Minyan (Kiddush follows): HaYashar VehaTov: Developing Religious Common Sense
* Before Mincha (7:00): Kavod HaBriyot: Recognizing Personal Dignity
* Between Mincha and Maariv: Ahavat Re'im: Balancing Self-Interest and Altruism
YISE Together-for-5 – Continues with a series of audio Shiurim by Rabbi Rosenbaum on "Thoughts of the Three Weeks." For more info, visit www.yise.org/together-for-5
High Holiday Preparations Already? Check your mail for an envelope which was sent out with forms and information for High Holiday seating, baby-sitting services and High Holiday greetings in the Hashomer. The High Holiday Seating Committee will be in the Social Hall Lobby on Sunday, July 27 from 10:00 AM to 12:00 Noon to receive and help you with High Holiday seating forms. The deadline for High Holiday greetings in the Hashomer has been extended to Friday, August 1.
YISE Annual BBQ "Summer Luau" – Join YISE friends and families as we come together for a wonderful summer celebration to enjoy good foods while wearing our favorite Hawaiian shirts. Bring your beach blankets and chairs to lounge around while we do the grilling! Games, raffles, crafts and more! Fun for all ages! Sunday August 17, 4:30 PM – 7:00 PM, YGW Boys School, Price: $10 per adult, $6 for ages 2-8.
Halacha Shiur for Women – Rabbi Rosenbaum will continue his monthly women's Halacha Shiur. The next one will be Sunday, August 17 at 8:30 PM at the home of Dana Sicherman 912 Lamberton Drive. The topic will be Muktzeh.
The YISE Hospitality Committee strives to make YISE a warm and welcoming place. S.o that we are able to provide hospitality for guests and new community members, we are compiling a list of people who are willing to occasionally host guests for Shabbos meals. If you are able to host please let us know at email@example.com
The YISE Banquet Committee is looking for volunteers to assist with the banquet. Specifically, we are seeking volunteers to help obtain donations for a raffle that will be included as part of the banquet this year. The volunteers can also help design the raffle prize packages to be presented at the banquet. If you would like to volunteer, please contact Elise Saks (firstname.lastname@example.org) and/or Rachelli Simon (email@example.com). In addition, if anyone has anything to donate (jewelry, toys, baby gear, small appliances, etc.) to the raffle, please contact Elise or Rachelli.
GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch & Learn for Men – Start your week off the right way with your choice from classes being offered at YISE on Sunday mornings! Join us for bagel brunch at 9:30 AM, followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM. Shiurim options:
* Timeless Talmud – Learn Talmud in-depth with a focus on practical applications – Rabbi Menachem Winter, beginning with Keitzad Mevarchim and the laws of blessings. This week's topic: Do We Make Blessings on Harmful Food?
* Parsha Discourses – Analyses of selected topics from the weekly Parsha – Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman. This week's topic: Parshas Devarim: Bitachon, Fear, and Prudence
* Unraveling the Navi – An exploration of the Navi with classic commentaries, beginning with Sefer Yehoshua – Rabbi Dovid Brotsky. This week's topic: Yehoshua Sends Spies – What was He Thinking?
* Before We Begin – Study Jewish philosophy through the introductions of the Rambam, beginning with the Introduction to Perek Chelek – the 13 Principles of Faith – Rabbi Yonatan Zakem. This week's topic: Gan Eden and Beyond
YISE Nursery registration for 2014-2015 school year – Call 301-593-7365 with questions or to make an appointment for a tour.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill – YISE's Chesed Committee has a program to help members undergoing serious medical crises. If you or someone you know needs help with meals, carpools, childcare, etc., or to volunteer, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com . If you are unable to cook a meal or help out, but would like to make a donation to Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill, please contact Simi Franco in the office.
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will not meet for the rest of the summer. It will resume in September.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Groups run 10:00 AM until the end of the speaker. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Parsha in the Park!!!! Families are invited to come join us across the street from YISE to play in the park, eat popsicles, and learn about the Parsha with Rabbi Rosenbaum on Shabbos, August 16, at 5:00 PM!!!
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before regular Mincha, and Sunday at 6:30 AM.
Women's Discussion Group – Shabbos afternoons, 5:30 PM at the home of Mrs. Klavan, 1006 Lamberton Drive, reading "Getting to Know Your Soul" by Rabbi Ittamar Schwartz, author of Bilvavi Mishkan Evneh.
Tehillim – Wednesday mornings. Contact Arleeta Lerner for details 301-649-0552.
Support our brothers and sisters in Israel through the Federation's Israel Emergency Campaign! The following stores will be donating 10% of their sales: Shalom Kosher on Sunday, July 27, Siena's Restaurant on Monday, July 28, and Ben Yehuda Pizza on Tuesday, July 29. Please support these vendors and a vital cause at the same time.
Mikvah Emunah Society Open House – The community is invited to the Wallerstein Mikvah, 913 Grays Lane, on Sunday, July 27, from 10:00 AM to 12:00 noon. This is an opportunity to receive a guided tour of the facility including the mechanical room, visit with Mikvah Manager, Mrs. Robin Niman, see the plaques acknowledging our donors, and learn about getting involved with the Mikvah Emunah Society. Questions? Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, July 30, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at email@example.com for more information.
Mesorah Women's Learning Institute Presents: Comparing the Etz HaDaas and the Cheit Ha-Eigel and How it Applies to Us – Seminary Style Shiur with Mrs. Rochie Reingold, Tuesday and Wednesday, July 29 and 30:
* Post Seminary Girls 8:00 PM – 9:30 PM at the home of Shaina Sragg, 10706 Huntwood Drive. Tuition $10.
* Everyone else: 10:00 AM – 11:30 AM in the YISE Beis Medrash. Babysitting available upon request $5 per child. Tuition $36 for both days.
For more information visit www.mesorahwomenslearning.com or contact Sorah Rivkah Goodman at 301-681-6347.
Job Assist Events:
* Webinars on Federal Jobs – (1) Tips and Tricks for Federal Job Applications. Monday, July 28, 7:00 PM – 7:30 PM. (2) 10 Steps to a Federal Job. Tuesday, July 29, 12:00 PM – 12:30 PM. (3) Students and Recent Graduates: Write a Successful Federal Resume. Friday, August 1, 12:00 PM – 12:30 PM. For all three, info and register at http://www.resume-place.com
The Week Ahead
Sunday, July 27 Monday, July 28 – Rosh Chodesh Tuesday, July 29 Wednesday, July 30 Thursday, July 31 Friday, August 1
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:10, 6:35, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
University 8:00 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Sephardi 7:30 6:00 6:15 6:15 6:05 6:15
Arcola 8:10 8:10 8:10 8:10 8:10 See Shabbos schedule
University N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 5:10 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:39 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:51 PM
August 1-2, 2014 – 6 Av 5774
Parshas Devarim – Shabbos Chazon
Light Candles by 8:01 – Havdalah 9:04
* Light Candles by 8:01, and not before 6:51
* Mincha 6:40 (Social Hall), 7:00 (Sephardi, Nusach Sefard), 7:05, 7:15 (Univ.), 8:05
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 5:00, 7:45 (Sephardi), 8:00 (Arcola & Univ.)
* Maariv/Havdalah 9:04
Shabbos, July 26 Scholar-in-Residence – Rabbi Manning
Wednesday, August 6 Senior Lunch, Arcola Social Hall, 12:00 Noon
Monday, August 11 The Man with the Truck, Arcola Social Hall,
6:00 PM to 9:30 PM
Tuesday, August 12 YISE Board of Directors Meeting
7:30 PM at Arcola
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, July 30, at 12 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director