Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
October 31 – November 1, 2014 – 8 Cheshvan 5775 – Parshas Lech Lecha
Light Candles by 5:50 – Havdalah 6:49
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week in gratitude to Esti Strauss for so tastefully bringing our Kehilla a "Taste of Shabbos!"
* Light Candles by 5:50
Arcola: 5:50 University: 5:50 Sephardi: 5:45 Nusach Sefard: 5:50
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:45 University: 5:45 Sephardi: 5:30 Nusach Sefard: 5:45
* Maariv/Havdalah: 6:49
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – Craig Oppenheim in honor of the kitchen volunteers.
* 8:00 Minyan – Danit & Aryeh Kanal in honor the birth of their daughter, Rachel, and in honor of Aryeh's graduation and doctoral degree.
* 8:45 Main Minyan – Elinor & Mordy Litwack in honor the Bris of their son.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 4:45 PM.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 5:00 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur at 5:15 PM.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Silver – Shiur after Mincha at University.
* Elinor & Mordy Litwack on the birth of a baby boy. Mazal Tov to Aunts & Uncles Rose & Moshe Litwack and Janet & Avi Litwack. The Shalom Zachor will take place at 11728 Kemp Mill Road at 8:30 PM. The Bris will follow the 8:45 Main Minyan.
* Abby & Chaim Tor on the birth of a grandaughter, Yael Penina, born to their children Talia & Yitz Flynn. Mazal Tov to the big brothers, Binyomin, Gabi and Shai, and to all the aunts, uncles and cousins and to great-grandmother, Beatrice Fine.
* Chaim Tor on the passing of his brother, Naftali Tor. The funeral took place in Israel. Shiva was observed in Israel.
YISE Programs and Listings
How to Talk so Kids will Listen and Listen so Kids will Talk – YISE Nursery presents the 2014 Parenting Series – Six session workshop to help parents develop life long, close, communicative relationships with their children. November 2, 9, 16, 30, and December 7 and 14. 8:30 PM to 10:00 PM. At the home of Judy Rosenthal, 1220 Arcola Avenue. Cost: $100 per person, $120 per couple. To register: email@example.com or 301-593-7365.
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on topics in Jewish History on Monday, November 3, from 1:30 PM – 2:30 PM at 1111 University Blvd. W., apt. 215. Light refreshments will be served. For information, please contact Miriam Friedman 301-754-1517 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Park Cleanup sponsored by YISE, KMS, & MJBHA in conjunction with Friends of Sligo Creek Park. Come do a mitzvah! Meet at the steps to CVS in the Kemp Mill Park on Sunday, November 9, anytime between 11:00 AM – 1:00PM. Bags & gloves will be distributed. Upper School students can receive community service hours. Contact Miriam Friedman at email@example.com for more information.
Fostering Creativity in Jewish Children – A YISE Youth Parent Education Event. Ms. Suzy Israel and Mrs. Rachel Handloff, co-principals of the MJBHA Lower School, will offer important information and light hearted insights. Refreshments will be served. YISE Social Hall, Sunday, November 9 at 8:00 PM.
The Haimish Kiddush Group was created in 2010 to ensure that there will be a kiddush following the 8:45 Minyan every Shabbos. The Group would like to invite you to join us in 2015. The cost to become a member is $100. You can also choose to be set up with automatic renewal that will charge you each year for the Haimish Kiddush Group. If you are interested in joining or have any questions, please contact Raph Ginsburg at firstname.lastname@example.org
Coming Soon on Shabbos, November 14-15: Scholar-in-Residence – Chazzan Sherwood Goffin: Chazzan/Baal Tefillah, Lincoln Square Synagogue; Instructor and Director of Outreach, Belz School of Jewish Music at Yeshiva University; Past President, Cantorial Council of America.
* Friday, 4:40 PM – Kabbalas Shabbos and Maariv
* Friday night, 8:30 PM: The 3,000 Year-old Historical Development of Jewish Music and our Musical Nusach Hatefillah
* After 8:45 Main Minyan Shacharis: The Mesorah of our Musical Nusach Hatefillah in Halacha and Tradition, followed by Musaf, Kiddush follows
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Haftoros Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver's Halacha Shiur for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM, in the Social Hall, part of the Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah.We will be discussing "Halachos of Berachos."
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM. Choose from classes on Talmud, the weekly Parsha, Navi, and Jewish Philosophy.
* The Golden Network's Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or email@example.com
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah – Tuesdays at 8:00 PM; Maariv to follow.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men at Wednesdays at 7:30 PM at University.
* GWCK Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency, Thursdays at 8:00 PM in the small Beis Medrash.
Remember to change your clocks – "Fall Back" one hour.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, in the small Social Hall.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Midrash, Manicures, and Milkshakes! YISE Social Hall, Motzei Shabbos, November 15, 7:30 PM. For women/girls only, and is meant for mothers and daughters, sisters, or friends to bond over Torah and home made milk shakes. We will supply the milk shakes and the nail polish. All ages are welcome. We will lead off with a 15 minute D'var Torah by Mrs. Zakem. Cost: $5.00 per person, $20.00 max per family. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before regular Mincha, and Sunday at 6:30 AM.
Women's Discussion Group – This Shabbos afternoon, 5:00 PM at the home of Mrs. Klavan, 1006 Lamberton Drive, reading "GPS! Navigation For Your Soul." (Last one for the season.)
Tehillim – Wednesday mornings. Contact Arleeta Lerner for details 301-649-0552.
Kemp Mill Pirchei – Shabbos afternoons, 4:00 PM to 4:55 PM in the Yeshiva classrooms. To join our e-mail list, contact Ranon Cortell or Pinchas Werner at email@example.com
Commemorate Rochel Immeinu's Yahrzeit with a Women's Melava Malka – Motzei Shabbos, November 1, 8:30 PM, at the home of Shayna Hefetz, 11708 Fulham Street. Words of Torah by Mrs. Alanna Pepper. Demonstrations and sales by Judith de Paris Head Coverings and HATtitude by Stevie. Bring your favorite Pareve dish with the recipe for our recipe swap! Portion of all sales to Tzedakah.
Babysitters and Halachah – Shiur for women with Rabbi Eli Reingold. Monday, November 3, 8:30 PM at the YGW Boys Campus. For more information, please contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, November 5, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
The Pink Panther – Berman Hebrew Academy Upper School HADAS, Saturday, November 8, 8:30 PM and Sunday, November 9, 3:00 PM. MJBHA, Sylvia S. Ely Auditorium. Tickets: Students/Seniors $7.00, Adults $10.00. Be an angel and sponsor our event. For details, contact Rena Fruchter at email@example.com
Walk for Life: Join Team "Berman Hebrew Academy." Participate in Gift of Life's 5K Walk for Life at Rock Creek Park, Sunday, November 9. To register: www.giftoflife.org/walk4life and join the BHA team. For questions contact: David Lowenstein at 301-625-7933 or at firstname.lastname@example.org or Rabbi Pepper at email@example.com
Bikur Cholim Community Event – Women's Health Series featuring sessions on a variety of topics led by experts in their fields. "Managing Stress: The Tool Kit for Everyday Living." Sunday, November 16, 10:00 AM at the Turitz home, 504 Hermleigh Road.
Berman Hebrew Academy Senior Class Leaf Raking – If you need someone to rake your leaves, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org Prices start at around $60+.
GWCK Gala Dinner – Continue the legacy of Rabbi Kalman Winter, ZT"L and celebrate our 7th year of Jewish Outreach and Education. Honoring Debbie & Dr. Marc Katz and Ruth & Rabbi Stephen Baars. Sunday, November 16, 5:00 PM at Beth Sholom. For more information: www.gwckollel.org or email@example.com
Job Assist Events:
* Project Management for Beginners – Online. November 10. Information and register at www.oujobs.org
* Web Apps for Beginners – Online. November 17. Information and register at www.oujobs.org
Silver Spring Eruv Association (SSEA) Annual Appeal
The Eruv's annual appeal is in progress. To cover the cost of recent repairs and keep the Eruv functioning, we need your contributions. The suggested annual contribution is $54 per household. The Silver Spring Eruv Association (SSEA) is not (yet) a 501(c)(3) organization. For your donation to be tax-deductible, make your check payable to: YISE Eruv Fund. Please mail your check to: SSEA, 11113 Lombardy Road, Silver Spring, MD 20901. Please do not mail your check to the shul and please do not donate on-line. Questions? SilverSpringEruv@gmail.com
The Week Ahead
All times EST Sunday, November 2 Monday, November 3 Tuesday, November 4 Wednesday, November 5 Thursday, November 6 Friday, November 7
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
University 8:00 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Sephardi 7:30 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15
Arcola 4:50 4:50 4:50 4:50 4:50 See Shabbos schedule
University N/A 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv)
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 5:49 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:14 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:22 PM
November 7-8, 2014 – 15 Cheshvan 5775
Light Candles by 4:43 – Havdalah 5:42
* Light Candles by 4:43
Arcola: 4:45, 4:45 (Ruach) University: 4:45 Sephardi: 4:40 Nusach Sefard: 4:45
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 4:40 University: 4:40 Sephardi: 4:25 Nusach Sefard: 4:40
* Maariv/Havdalah: 5:42
Tuesday, November 4 YISE Board Meeting, 7:30 PM, Small Beis Medrash
Wednesday, November 5 Senior Lunch, 12:00 Noon, Arcola Social Hall – Speaker: Amit Levinson, "Israel's Inventions"
Friday, November 7 Ruach Minyan, Arcola Social Hall
Motzei Shabbos, Nov. 8 First Dor L'Dor of the season, 6:30 PM, Arcola Social Hall
Monday, November 10 Basic Colors, 12:00 Noon – 6:00 PM
Monday, November 17 Man With The Truck, 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, November 5 at 12 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director