Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
October 27-28, 2017 – 8 Cheshvan 5778 – Parshas Lech Lecha
Light Candles by 5:54 – Havdalah 6:53
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Eva & Nissy Moskowitz in memory of their beloved parents, Blanka & Ben Rosenberg and Moshe Moskowitz.
* Hannah Gershon on the engagement or her grandson, Emanuel, of Atlanta, to Malki Lax of Boro Park.
* Esti & Moshe Kaplan on the birth of their daughter, Tzippora Aviva.
* Elaine & Rabbi William Millen on the marriage of their granddaughter, Molly Velenski, daughter of Penina & Jack Velenski of Brooklyn, to Rafi KristolWeiss son of Joan Kristol & Avram Weiss of Efrat, Israel.
* Light Candles by 5:54
Ashkenazi: 5:55, Ruach Sephardi: 5:50 Nusach Sefard: 5:55
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:50 Sephardi: 5:30 Nusach Sefard: 5:50
* Maariv/Havdalah: 6:53
* 8:00 and 9:15 Minyanim Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – Margie & Michael Hourwitz to commemorate the Yahrtzeits of Rabbi David Hyatt's parents: Mrs. Ida Hyatt, Z"L & Rabbi Julius Hyatt, Z"L; in memory of Michael's mother, Florence Hourwitz, Z"L and his grandparents, Sara Rogoff, Z"L and Abraham Rogoff, Z"L; and a Siyum to celebrate Rabbi Hyatt's Shabbos morning Shiur completing Makkos.
* 8:00 Minyan – The James and Simon families in honor of Bruce's 60th birthday. (The Kiddush will be Dairy and Pareve.)
* Sephardi Minyan – David Mordechai in memory of his grandfather Eliyahu Ben Sarah, and by Nino Srour in memory of his father Moshe Ben Luna and his uncle David Ben Luna.
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* 9:15 Minyan – Esti & Moshe Kaplan in honor of the birth of their daughter, Tzippora Aviva.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, Rabbi's Study.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, behind the balcony.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Shiur after Mincha.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evenings at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM. Choose from classes:
* Timeless Talmud with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Thirteen Attributes with Rabbi Moshe Sadwin
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 7:00 AM – 7:45 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network Presents:
* Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for Men and Women, Tuesday mornings 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM.
* Rabbi Raphael Malka's Mishnah Class for Men, Tuesday mornings, 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM.
* For more information: 301-732-1773 or email@example.com
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women: 613? We Can Appreciate Every One of Them! Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Meseches Bava Basra, Wednesdays at 7:00 PM in the Social Hall.
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for Men and Women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sundays, 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Yonatan Zakem at firstname.lastname@example.org or 513-313-4899.
* Men (classes located in the YISE Beis Medrash):
* Monday: Parsha Analysis with Rabbi Hillel Shaps.
* Tuesday: Torah Topics with Rabbi Menachem Winter.
* Wednesday: Reading Responsa with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman.
* Thursday: Yesodei Hatorah with Rabbi Avraham Sussman.
* Thursday: Inspired Avodah with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher.
* Monday – Thursday: Shivti led by Rabbi Yonatan Zakem, under the guidance of Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman.
* Women (class located in the Small Social Hall):
* Monday: Horeb: The Power of Mitzvos with Mrs. Sara Malka Winter.
YISE Programs and Listings
THIS SHABBOS: Ruach Minyan – Friday, October 27, 5:55 PM in the Social Hall. There will be a special children's story telling program. So bring the family and invite your friends. It's going to be Gevaldic! For more information contact: email@example.com
Appreciation Kiddush for Morah Sarah – After many years of dedicated service to our weekly Shabbos programming, Sarah Sandberg (affectionately known as Morah Sarah) is completing her last week of programming. To celebrate everything she has done to enhance our children's lives, please join us as we express our gratitude to Sarah at a Kiddush in her honor, on Shabbos, November, 4 after the 8:45 Main Minyan. Sponsors of $18 and higher will be listed and are greatly appreciated. If you would like to sponsor, please contact Simi Franco at firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-593-4465 ext. 403.
Spirituality Workshop – Join Rabbi Menachem Goldberger (of Baltimore), along with Rabbi Rosenbaum, at this program to help develop a closer connection to Hashem. Sunday, November 5, 10:30 AM – 2:30 PM at YISE. Study Ramchal's Derech Hashem, learn Chassidic Niggunim, and discover how to spiritualize your Davening in any Minyan. Program includes lunch. $12/person; sponsors welcome at $36 (includes 1 admission) and $72 (includes 2 admissions and music album). Reservations required: Send check by October 31 to YISE office, marked "Spirituality Workshop," or call Simi at the office to add to your bill. For info, contact email@example.com or 301-980-9557.
Paint Nite! Featuring Talya Weinberg! Motzei Shabbos, November 11. $25 per person. Refreshments at 7:30 PM, painting at 8:00 PM. YISE Social Hall. Space is limited. RSVP required by November 4 at www.yise.org/paint Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
Be a Superhero! Save a Life! Donate Blood! "Superhero" Community Blood Drive in memory of Dr. Avi Karkowsky Z"L and Dr. Clif Price Z"L. Sunday, November 12, 10:00 AM – 3:00 PM, at YISE. There will be Kosher snacks for everyone, educational videos, and activity sheets about the circulatory system to keep children busy while their parents donate blood. People who donate blood will receive a free gift. At least 35 adults need to make commitments to donate blood for the drive to happen. Volunteers are also needed to greet and register donors, distribute drinks and snacks, and help with the children's activities (can be credited as community service hours). Please contact Adam Bashein at email@example.com or Eli Landy at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a donation. You could be a "super-hero" and save someone's life.
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish History on Monday, November 6, 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM at 1111 University Blvd. West in the Penthouse. Light refreshments will be served. For information, please contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or email@example.com
Shul Repairs – If you notice that a Sefer holder on the back of a pew is becoming loose, please tell us asap before the bottom drops out. Contact Josh Breitstein at firstname.lastname@example.org and / or Stuart Cohen at email@example.com
Come join Dor l'Dor:
The Family Chevrusah-style Learning in a fun environment!
Dor L'dor starts on Motzei Shabbos, November 18 at 6:45 PM in the YISE Social Hall!
For people who would like their child to participate in Dor L'Dor but are not available to learn with him / her, we will try to match your child with an available volunteer adult, upon advance request (usually by 10:00 AM on the preceding Friday). However, parents accepting this offer are responsible for getting their child to and from the program. For further information, please contact Michael Shimoff at firstname.lastname@example.org
The program will be held at the YISE Arcola Social Hall and is open to the entire community!
Delicious Pizza! Interactive Discussions! Raffle of Exciting Prizes!
SAVE THE DATE: Tech Cafe – Sunday, November 19, 11:00 AM – 1:00 PM. For more information, contact Miriam Friedman at email@example.com
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill – YISE's Chesed Committee has a program to help members undergoing serious medical crises. If you or someone you know needs help with meals, carpools, childcare, etc., or to volunteer, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com If you are unable to cook a meal or help out, but would like to make a donation to Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill, please contact Simi Franco in the office.
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Beis Medrash, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the Balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Early care for 2-5 year-olds runs from 9:30 AM – 10:00 AM. Groups for all ages run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Parshas Lech Lecha Warring Kings Chess and Checkers Night – Motzei Shabbos, October 28, 8:15 PM – 9:45 PM at YISE. Bring your own board and a friend to play with, or we can pair you up. Free event. Pizza will be available for purchase. Event is co-sponsored by YISE, KMS and Chabad Youth Departments.
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before regular Mincha.
Learn Mishnah Brurah Hilchos Shabbos in 18 Months – Shiur for men with Rabbi Eli Reingold. Monday through Thursday, 8:00 PM – 8:45 PM at the Boys Yeshiva. Questions? Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring will be starting Maseches Nedarim on Monday, November 6. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more information, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit www.dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Road.
The Value of Modesty – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for women, based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM, 609 Hyde Road.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: gemachexchange.com
Rabbi Marvin Goldman's Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, October 28 at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 516, at 4:00 PM.
Kemp Mill Pirchei – For boys, first through sixth grade in the Yeshiva classrooms, Shabbos afternoons, 4:00 PM – 4:55 PM. If you're interested in sponsoring, please contact, firstname.lastname@example.org
BCGW Annual Hope and Healing Gala – Sunday, October 29 at 10:00 AM at Beth Sholom Congregation. Show your support for the organization that helps community members in their time of need and pay tribute to our exceptional volunteers. To register, visit www.bikurcholimgw.org
My Country, My Faith: Lessons Learned from a Life of Service – Senator Joseph Lieberman will be in conversation with Gary Rosenblatt at the 32nd Annual Rosenblatt Memorial Lecture, on Sunday, October 29, at Congregation Kneseth Israel, 1125 Spa Road, Annapolis, MD 21403. Refreshments at 10:15 AM; lecture at 11:00 AM. The event is free and open to the public.
Parenting with a Plan – YGW's Boys Division invites the community to a special series on parenting adolescents. A Free Three-Part Series with Rabbi Akiva Sutofsky, LPC, M.S. Mental Health Counseling and YGW Yeshiva Gedolah Alumnus. Session One: Monday, October 30, 8:00 PM, YGW Boys Campus. Opening remarks: Rabbi Lopiansky, Rosh HaYeshiva. Get to know the basics: What in the world is going on in your kid's head? Do your kids look up to you? The only way to parent – Respect based parenting. Cell phones and kids, overwhelmed yet? The master key – dispassionate communication. Very limited parking on campus, please park in the community. RSVP or for more info: Mr. Shlomo Berman at email@example.com or 301-649-7077 ext. 1525.
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, November 1, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
East County Regional Job Fair – Free. Thursday, November 2, 3:00 PM – 7:00 PM, East County Community Recreation Center, 3310 Gateshead Manor Way, Silver Spring. Includes workshops on resumes, interviewing, federal jobs, and starting your own business. More info and register at https://thinkmoco.com/calendar-list/2017/11/2/east-county-regional-job-fair
"Screenagers" – Berman Hebrew Academy PTO presents a documentary about growing up in the Digital Age. Movie will be followed by a panel discussion with teens and guidance counselors. Event is free for Berman families and staff, and $5 for everyone else. RSVP at https://impactflow.com/event/presented-by-berman-pto-5528 Wednesday, November 8, 7:00 PM – 9:00 PM at Berman. Recommended for 5th grade and up. For more info: Miriam Friedman – email@example.com
The History of Indian Jewry – Am HaTorah Congregation invites the community to a special presentation by author and lecturer Dr. Thomas Timberg, editor of "Jews of India." Motzei Shabbos, November 11, 7:00 PM. Admission $40. Light dinner will be served. For more information and to RSVP: firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-229-2751.
Second Annual Capital Connection Weekend – Connecting singles nationwide. For Orthodox professionals ages 35-55. Friday, November 10 – Sunday, November 12. Register by November 3 for the early bird special $225. After November 3, $250. Enjoy five catered meals, a gala dessert reception, a Shabbos afternoon stroll through Brookside Gardens, an "incomparable, award-winning, 50 acre display garden," gourmet Shalosh Sheudos, paint night, Melava Malka, and special entertainment, close to our nation's capital. Register today at https://form.jotform.com/72808183124152 For more information contact: Marci Schopf at email@example.com or 310-871-8501, Rhonda Lehman at Rhonda.firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-351-1725, or Rachel Burnham at email@example.com or 347-623-6303.
The Week Ahead
Sunday, October 29 Monday, October 30 Tuesday, October 31 Wednesday, November 1 Thursday, November 2 Friday, November 3
Ashkenazi 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 6:20 6:20 6:20 6:20 6:20
Ashkenazi 5:55 5:55 5:55 5:55 5:55 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 5:50 5:50 5:50 5:50 5:50
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 6:45 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 10:12 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:22 PM
November 3-4, 2017 – 15 Cheshvan 5778
Light Candles by 5:46 – Havdalah 6:45
* Light Candles by 5:46
Ashkenazi: 5:50 Sephardi: 5:45 Nusach Sefard: 5:50
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:45 Sephardi: 5:25 Nusach Sefard: 5:45
* Maariv/Havdalah: 6:45
* Remember to change your clocks – "Fall Back" one hour.
Friday, October 27 Ruach Minyan, 5:55 PM, Social Hall
Wednesday, November 1 Senior Lunch, 12:00 Noon, Social Hall Speaker: Steven Kline, JD, "Drawing Justice: The Art of Courtroom Illustration"
Sunday, November 5 Spirituality Workshop, 10:30 AM – 2:30 PM
Motzei Shabbos, Nov. 11 Paint Nite, 7:30 PM, Social Hall
Sunday, November 12 "Superhero" Community Blood Drive, 10:00 AM – 3:00 PM, Social Hall
Motzei Shabbos, Nov. 18 The First Dor L'Dor, 6:45 PM, Social Hall
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, November 1 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday-Thursday 9:00 AM through 5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager