Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
October 19 – 20, 2018 – 11 Cheshvan 5779 – Parshas Lech Lecha
Light Candles by 6:05 – Havdalah 7:03
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Joey Franco – Mortgage Banker – 301-529-5387.
* Arleeta & Rabbi Ivan Lerner on the engagement of their granddaughter, Rena Lerner, daughter of Alyson & Rabbi Dr. Doniel Lerner, to Reuven Mozorosky, son of Lisa & Shmuel Mozorosky of Staten Island. Mazal Tov to grandmother Joan Pincus and to great-grandmother Dena Lerner Gerber.
* Light Candles by 6:05
Ashkenazi: 6:05 Sephardi: 6:00 Nusach Sefard: 6:05
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 6:00 Sephardi: 5:45 Nusach Sefard: 6:00
* Shabbos Ends: 7:03
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00, 9:15 Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* Sephardi Minyan – Nino & Joyce Srour in memory of Nino's father, Moshe ben Luna, and by Cary Presser in memory of his father, Zvi ben Avraham.
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* 9:15 Minyan – Ben Yehuda in honor of Rabbi & Mrs. Silver.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, after Hashkamah Minyan, lower lobby.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 5:00 PM, Large Social Hall.
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 5:10 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self- improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, will take place this week in Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evenings at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact email@example.com
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM. Choose from classes:
* On the Same Page with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Sage Wisdom with Rabbi Moshe Sadwin
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for Men and Women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sunday evenings at 8:00 PM in the Social Hall.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, firstname.lastname@example.org, 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Shaps – On The Same Page
* Tuesdays: Rabbi Winter – Torah Topics
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Grossman – Reading Responsa
* Thursdays: Rabbi Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah
* Tuesdays & Wednesdays: Shivti led by Rabbi Sussman. Rabbi Grossman will be presenting weekly lectures on the weekly topic.
* For Women:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Tehillim: An in-depth analysis
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM-7:25 AM & Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the room behind the Balcony.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men and women, Tuesday mornings 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women: 613? Appreciating Every One of Them! Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Kesubos, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM in the Social Hall.
YISE Programs and Listings
Lost and Found – Please check your coat closets and return any coats, hats, gloves or other items that were mistakenly taken from the Shul and don't belong to you. Additionally, all items will be removed from the lower lobby coatroom on October 22.
Return of the Ruach Minyan – Next Shabbos, October 26, 6:00 PM sharp in the Large Social Hall. Yes, there will be a special children's story program during part of the davening in the Small Social Hall. So bring the entire family and invite your friends. It's going to be Gevaldic!
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish History on Monday, November 12 from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM at 1111 University Blvd. W. in the Penthouse. Light refreshments will be served. For more info, contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or email@example.com
Allergies in Shul – Just a reminder that some people are very sensitive or allergic to perfumes and colognes. Please be considerate and use common sense in your application of scents.
Board Game Cafe – POSTPONED to December 8.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program is a service to help members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers. By signing up, you are not committing to help with anything specific. You will be notified when volunteers are needed, and if you are available, we would appreciate your help. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Beis Medrash, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups:
2-5 year-olds 9:30 AM – end of 8:45 minyan in the youth room behind the Balcony.
1st-4th grade 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM at the Yeshiva. Walking group leaves at 10:00 AM.
Girls meet in the main lobby. Boys meet outside the Social Hall.
Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Sue Stern is recuperating in the Hebrew Home from a fall and would love visitors.
Member of YISE needs rides daily from Kemp Mill to the Hebrew Home in Rockville and back. Please contact Miriam Friedman at firstname.lastname@example.org or Melanie Karlin at email@example.com for more information.
Community Programs and Listings
Rabbi Marvin Goldman's Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, October 20, at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 906, at 4:30 PM.
Free Job Search Webinars – Emotional Intelligence, October 23, 7:00 PM – 7:30 PM. Presented by Corliss Jackson. For more information and to register, please go to www.FederalJobResults.com/events
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring Siyum on Maseches Nedarim. Sunday, October 21, at SEHC. Mincha at 6:05 PM followed by Siyum at 6:20 PM. All men are invited to join us as we start Maseches Nazir on Monday, October 22. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more info, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Explore Aliyah! Join Nefesh B'Nefesh for an informal discussion and learn about living in Israel. Wednesday, October 24th, 7:00 PM – 9:00 PM at KMS. Special guest Akiva Gersh, respected lecturer and author, will speak at 8:00 PM. For more information, go to www.nbn.org.il/explore
Kemp Mill Toastmasters Open House – Wednesday, October 24, 7:45 PM – 9:15 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. Please join us and bring a friend! Find out how you can reach your potential as a leader and communicator. Contact Debbie Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Join N'shei's Challah Bake – Thursday, October 25, 7:30 PM in Ohr HaTorah's Social Hall. A Zechus for a Refuah Shleimah for Akiva Leib ben Yiscah Chava. RSVP required by Sunday, October 21, to Aliza Mervis email@example.com Sponsorships available at $36 & $54 levels.
BCGW 2018 Hope and Healing Gala – Sunday, October 28 at 10:00AM at Beth Sholom Congregation in Potomac. Honoring star volunteers: Eve Farber, Rabbi Barry Greengart, Sylvia Goldberg and Dr. Nancy Weisman. Register at www.bikurcholimgw.org or call 202-331-4481.
Halachos of Davening for Women – with Rabbi Reingold. The inaugural Shiur in a new series in Halacha for women. Shiur for women only. Tuesday, October 30, 8:30 PM at the YGW Boys Campus. For more information contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Mesorah Women's Learning Institute presents "Mitzvah, Minhag, or Myth? Understanding the Meaning Behind What We Do." A weekly Shiur for women and post-seminary girls by Rabbi Yitzchak Scher, Mondays at 8:00 PM at the home of Mrs. Helene Goodman, 10711 Stoneyhill Drive in White Oak.For more information, contact Sorah Rivkah Goodman 301-681-6347.
Learn Mishnah Brurah Hilchos Shabbos in 18 Months – Shiur for men with Rabbi Eli Reingold. Monday through Thursday, 8:00 – 8:45 PM at the Boys Yeshiva. Questions? Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
The Value of Modesty – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for women, based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: gemachexchange.com
Village Rides – The Gift of a Lift – We now have 11 drivers signed up for the Kemp Mill Village Rides program. Come join them and help your neighbors so we can provide a responsive service for Kemp Mill residents. We anticipate offering service starting January 1, with a group of trained, background-checked, drivers. Call Alan Breitler at 301-649-5031 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to participate in this important project!
The Week Ahead
Sunday October 21 Monday October 22 Tuesday October 23 Wednesday October 24 Thursday October 25 Friday October 26
Ashkenazi 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15
Ashkenazi 6:05 6:05 6:05 6:05 6:05 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 6:00 6:00 6:00 6:00 6:00
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 6:37 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 10:08 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:23 PM
October 26 – 27, 2018 – 18 Cheshvan 5779
Light Candles by 5:56 – Havdalah 6:54
* Light Candles by 5:56
Ashkenazi: 6:00 Sephardi: 5:55 Nusach Sefard: 6:00
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:55 Sephardi: 5:40 Nusach Sefard: 5:55
* Maariv/Havdalah: 6:54
Sunday, October 21 Jewish Genetic Cancer Risks, 10:30 AM, Social Hall
Sunday, October 21 Annual BBQ, 3:00 PM, YGW Boys Division
Friday, October 26 Ruach Minyan, 6:00 PM, Large Social Hall
Sunday, November 4 Blood Drive at KMS, 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Sunday, November 4 Kristallnacht Program, 7:30 PM, Social Hall
Saturday, November 10 Trivia Night, 8:00 PM, Social Hall
Sunday, November 11 Veterans Day Dining Out, 7:00 PM, Social Hall
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, October 24 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager