Parashas Lech Lecha – October 11-12, 2013
Download the October 11-12, 2013 habbos Shorts [PDF]
Sign up to get the Shabbos Shorts emailed to you each week
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
October 11-12, 2013 – 8 Cheshvan 5774 – Parshas Lech Lecha
Light Candles by 6:17 – Havdalah 7:14
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Eva & Nissy Moskowitz on the Yahrzeits of Eva's parents, Blanka (Rivkah Breindel Bat Yirmeyahu) & Ben Rosenberg (Ben Tzion Ben Menachem HaKohen).
* Light Candles by 6:17
* Mincha 6:20 (All locations)
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 6:00 (Sephardi), 6:15 (Arcola and Univ.)
* Maariv/Havdalah 7:14
* 8:45 Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Barry Greengart
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – Harriette & Richard Weinstein in honor of their 50th wedding anniversary.
* 8 AM Minyan – "The Chevra"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – Debbie & Marc Katz on the occasion of the Aufruf and forthcoming marriage of their son Ezra to Nechama Berlove.
* R' Pinchas Werner – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 5:15 PM.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 5:15 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Barry Greengart – Shiur after Mincha at University.
* George Teitelbaum on the passing of his mother, Minnie Teitelbaum. The funeral was held in Israel. Shiva will continue on Saturday night/Sunday morning at 917 Lamberton Drive. Shacharis on Sunday at 8:00.
The Youth Department invites all families to this week's Friday Evening Youth Minyan. Please join us in the large Arcola Social Hall at 6:20 PM for a special Minyan led by our teens.
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM-6:45 AM, Arcola Social Hall.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM at University.
* Greater Washington Community Kollel:
* Linas Hatzedek – Business Ethics – Will commence with the new topic "Litigation in Secular Courts"- Sunday mornings at 9:30 AM.
* Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency. Thursdays, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM.
Government Shutdown Information
Learning and Breakfast Program – Rabbi Rosenbaum will be giving a daily Shiur for the duration of the Federal Government Shutdown after the 8:30 Minyan – starting between 9:15 AM and 9:30 AM. The program is for the entire community with learning skills at any level and both men and women are welcome. The program is expected to last about 45 minutes. The program will be held in the YISE Social Hall, Monday through Friday. Bagels and cream cheese will be served. For more information, contact Michael Shimoff at firstname.lastname@example.org. The learning program will not meet on Columbus Day, Monday, October 14.
It is never easy to miss a paycheck. This is particularly true when we are coming off of a Yom Tov season. Individuals who are affected by the government shutdown and are concerned about being able to meet their financial needs should please feel free to contact me. All discussions will be confidential. I can be reached by phone at 301- 593-4465, ext. 405, or email at email@example.com. Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum
Hebrew Free Loan Association – Is Government furlough/sequester impacting your financial life? Do you have debts to pay or projects to begin? Your community may be able to help. The Hebrew Free Loan Association has been helping Jews in the Washington metropolitan area achieve their goals since 1910. HFLA provides interest free personal and/or student loans to qualified members of the Jewish community. Visit our website: http://hebrewfreeloandc.org or call 301-770-4836. You may also contact Dean Grayson at 301-908-2645.
Franco Foundation offers interest-free loans – Federal government workers whose paychecks are delayed because of the shutdown may apply for interest-free loans from the Franco Foundation to help tide them over until they receive their back pay. Additional sponsors for this project are welcome. For more information please contact Allan Franco at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Community Safety Net – Tough times are driving more people for financial assistance from the Tomchei Shabbos of the Yehudah Mond Foundation. Your monthly pledge provides steady income to meet year round needs. For details on contributing by phone, mail, or internet go to http://yehudamondfoundation.org.
YISE Programs and Listings
YISE Nursery presents Torah for Tots – 16 months and up, and their parents or care givers with Morah Elise Schloss. Join us for: Puppets and Parsha Stories, Singing and Movement, Shabbos Party, Socialization, Art Experiences, Friday mornings from 9:30 AM to 10:45 AM. $10 per class. Classes through Friday, December 20. (No classes October 18.) Register by contacting email@example.com.
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett – 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill – YISE's Chesed Committee has a program to help members undergoing serious medical crises. If you or someone you know needs help with meals, carpools, childcare, etc., or to volunteer, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com.
Community Programs and Listings
Pirchei has started! All boys, first through sixth grade, are invited to join us this Shabbos, October 12, at the Yeshiva, 4:00 PM – 4:55 PM.
Women's Discussion Group – 5:00 PM at the home of Mrs. Klavan, 1006 Lamberton Drive. We will be reading "The Garden of Emunah."
Slowing Down on Shabbos – Join the Kayamut Sustainability Circle for a special Seuda Shlishit and Torah learning gathering this Shabbos, October 12, at 4:30 PM at the home of Gail Rosenthal & Lance Kaplan, 12 Cosgrave Court.
Girls Night Out – Presented by the Greater Washington Community Kollel with Mrs. Nechama Zakem and Mrs. Illana Glassberg. For 9th- 12th grade girls. At the Glassberg residence, 11200 Lockwood Drive, Apt. 208, this Motzei Shabbos, October 12, 8:30 PM – 10:00 PM.
MJBHA 5K Fun Run/Walk – Runners and walkers of all ages and abilities invited. Sunday, October 13, 9:00 AM. 13300 Arctic Avenue. $54 entry fee, includes a t-shirt. To sign up visit www.mjbha.org/ Donations/Track_Events.cfm.
50+Expo – Come this Sunday, October 13, 12:00 Noon to 4:00 PM at the Silver Spring Civic Center, to the 50+Expo, presented by the Beacon, for free health screenings, flu shots, government, nonprofit and business exhibitors, live entertainment, giveaways and door prizes. Hear Dr. Luigi Ferrucci, scientific director of the National Institute on Aging.
Columbus Day Learning Program for Men – "Eavesdropping & Reading Another's Mail: The Cherem D'Rabbeinu Gershom (including NSA-style Surveillance)" with Rabbi Yitzchak Grossman. Monday, October 14. The Federal Holiday Learning Program for Men presented by the Kollel Zichron Amram of the Yeshiva – Chavrusa at 9:00 AM; Shiur at 10:00 AM at the YGW Boys Campus. For more information please contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
The Golden Network Presents – "Medicare – What you need to know to navigate the Medicare health plan choices during open enrollment season," with Mr. Jerry Hercenberg. Wednesday, October 16, 1:00 PM at YISE and Thursday, October 17, 1:15 PM at the Ring House, 1801 East Jefferson Street. For more information: 301-338-4810 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mesorah Women's Learning Institute is sponsoring the annual Rochel Imeinu Yahrzeit event "Where Am I Headed? Connecting to Our Spiritual GPS?" with Rebbetzin Tehilla Jaeger and Rebbetzin Tzipora Heller. Motzei Shabbos, October 19, 8:30 PM, at SEHC. $10 women, $8 students.
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington Annual Event will take place on Sunday, October 20, at 10:00 AM at Beth Sholom. Celebrating the work of BCGW and honoring Dr. Roger Packer and Dr. Kurt Newman of Childrens National Medical Center. Presenting the Bernice Fishman Community Service Award to Mrs. Miriam Friedman of Kemp Mill. Register at www.bikurcholimgw.org.
Mikvah Emunah Society is pleased to announce that the Woodside Keilim Mikvah is now back in service! It's located at the rear of 1305 Ballard Street, and the entrance is through the driveway. The Keilim Mikvah is open only during daylight hours.
Job Assist Events:
* How to Apply for Federal Jobs on USAJOBS – Free webinar by Kathryn Troutman, Tuesday, October 15, 2:00 PM – 2:30 PM. Register at www.resume-place.com.
Don't Waste It – Planning a Simcha? Mazal Tov! What do you plan to do with any left-over catered food from certified kosher stores or caterers? The Yehudah Mond Foundation can distribute your extra food to local families in need. To donate, call, or have your caterer contact email@example.com, or 301-537-7158.
The Week Ahead
Sunday, October 13 Monday, October 14 Tuesday, October 15 Wednesday, October 16 Thursday, October 17 Friday, October 18
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
University 8:00 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Sephardi 7:30 6:05 6:15 6:15 6:05 6:15
Arcola 6:15 6:15 6:15 6:15 6:15 See Shabbos schedule
University 6:15 N/A N/A N/A N/A
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 6:30 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 10:04 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:25 PM
October 18-19, 2013 – 15 Cheshvan 5774
Light Candles by 6:06 – Havdalah 7:04
* Light Candles by 6:06
* Mincha 6:10 (All locations)
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 5:50 (Sephardi), 6:05 (Arcola and Univ.)
* Maariv/Havdalah 7:04
Shabbos, October 12 Aufruf of Ezra Katz, 8:45 Minyan
Tuesday, October 15 Senior Lunch, Arcola Social Hall
Shabbos, October 19 Bar Mitzvah of Avi Augenbaum, 8:45 Minyan
Monday, October 21 The Man With the Truck, 6:00 PM to 9:30 PM, Arcola Social Hall
Tuesday, October 22 Elzee, 11:00 AM to 8:00 PM, Arcola Social Hall
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, October 16, at 12 noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Dr. Marc Katz – President
Alan Zimmerman – Executive Director