Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
November 11-12, 2016 – 11 Cheshvan 5777 – Parshas Lech Lecha
Light Candles by 4:38 – Havdalah 5:38
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Eva & Nissy Moskowitz in memory of her beloved parents, Blanka & Ben Rosenberg.
* Allison & David Ginsberg on the birth of their daughter, Zehava Liba. Mazal Tov to big brother, Michael and to the entire family.
* Judith & Rabbi Marvin Goldman on the Bar Mitzvah of their grandson, Shmuel Chaim Katran, son of Elizabeth & Steven Katran of Manhattan.
* Donna & Geoffrey Rosenbloom on the birth of a granddaughter, Chana (Helen Lily), born to Malkie & Josh Rosenbloom. Mazal Tov to the siblings, aunts, uncles and cousins and to the great grandfather, Henry Sandler.
* Dr. Jack Rutner on his engagement to Wendee White of Silver Spring.
* Marla & Marty Teichman on the engagement of their granddaughter, Chava, daughter of Randee & Manny Goldberger to Avrom, son of Nancy & Barry Yarconi of Los Angeles.
* Helene Zeltser and family on the Bat Mitzvah of her granddaughter, Anna Well, daughter of Jordana Well and Ranan Well. Mazal Tov also to the grandparents Vivian & Rabbi Harvey Well of Israel, and to all the aunts, uncles and cousins.
* Helene Zeltser and family on the birth of their grandson, Eli Melvin, born to Dr. Deena Zeltser & Brent Levenson.
* Nancy & David Finkelstein on their upcoming move to Seattle.
* Light Candles by 4:38
Arcola: 4:40 University: 4:40 Sephardi: 4:35 Nusach Sefard: 4:40
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
The 9:15 Minyan will meet in the Boys' Yeshiva.
Arcola: 2:30, 4:35 University: 4:35 Sephardi: 4:15 Nusach Sefard: 4:35
* Maariv/Havdalah: 5:38
* 8:00 and 8:45 Main Minyanim Rabbi Rosenbaum
* Youth and 9:15 Minyanim Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* Sephardi Minyan – "Sephardic Group"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – In honor of Anna Lila Well's Bat Mitzvah.
* 9:15 Minyan – Leora & Aaron Kor in honor of the birth of their son, Ezra.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, behind the balcony.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, Lower Lobby.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 3:30 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 3:35 PM.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Barry Greengart – Shiur after Mincha at University.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evening at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM. Choose from classes:
* Timeless Talmud with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Before we Begin with Rabbi Yonatan Zakem
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network Presents:
* Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women.
* Rabbi Raphael Malka's Mishnah Class for Men, Tuesday mornings, 10:15 AM – 11:00 AM.
* For more information 301-732-1773 or email@example.com
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women: 613? We Can Appreciate Every One of Them! Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM at University.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Yonatan Zakem at firstname.lastname@example.org or 513-313-4899.
* Men (classes located in the YISE Beis Medrash):
* Monday: 613 with Rabbi Hillel Shaps.
* Tuesday: In The Beginning with Rabbi Zacharia Schwartz.
* Wednesday: Torah Topics with Rabbi Menachem Winter.
* Thursday: Yesodei Hatorah with Rabbi Avraham Sussman.
* Thursday: Inspired Avodah with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher, Kollel Zichron Amram and Rebbe, YGW
* Monday – Thursday: Shivti led by Rabbi Yonatan Zakem, under the guidance of Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman.
* Women (class located in the Small Social Hall):
* Monday: Women of Valor with Mrs. Sara Malka Winter.
YISE Programs and Listings
Tech Cafe at YISE – Sunday, November 13, 12:00 noon – 2:00 PM. FREE! Register at: www.yise.org/techcafe For Seniors: Learn from local teens how to use technology, including smartphones, iPad, tablet, Facebook, email, and more. Bring your charged device and charger with you. For Teens: Volunteer for Tech Cafe. Free Pizza lunch for our Teen Techsperts! Co-sponsored by YISE and KMS in conjunction with Tech Cafe. Community Service Hours available. Questions? Contact Miriam Friedman, YISE/KMS – email@example.com or Stacey Relkin Winkler, Tech Cafe, firstname.lastname@example.org
Ruach Minyan – Hold the date for the next Ruach Minyan at YISE, Friday, November 18, 4:35 PM in the Arcola Social Hall. In addition, during part of the Davening, a special children's program will be going on! So, join us, bring the family and tell your friends. It's going to be Gevaldig. For more information, contact email@example.com
STARTING NEXT WEEK: Dor L'Dor – Family Chevrusah-style learning in a fun environment! Next Motzei Shabbos, November 19, 6:45 PM, Arcola Social Hall. Open to the entire community! Delicious pizza! Interactive discussions! Raffle of exciting prizes! Lots of fun!
Making Room for Joy in a Focused Life – Shiur for women with Rabbi Rosenbaum. Sunday, November 20, at 8:30 PM at the home of Bayla Goodman, 11527 Monticello Avenue.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Early care for 2-5 year-olds runs from 9:30-10:00. Groups for all ages run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
A (K)night of Chess and Checkers! Children of all ages are invited to a kings battle on the chess and checkers boards. Adults can play too if they would like. Motzei Shabbos, November 12, 6:45 PM – 8:15 PM in the YISE Social Hall. Bring your own boards. The event is free. Pizza and bottled water will be available for purchase. Please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos at 10:30 AM.
Dirshu Daf Yomi B'Halacha on Hilchos Seuda (Note new topic), learn Mishna Brurah with Rabbi Eli Reingold, Monday – Thursday, 8:00 PM – 8:40 PM at the Boys Yeshiva. For information contact him at 301-996-5910 or email@example.com
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Kesuvos. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more information, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Parshas Hashavua in Depth – New Shiur for men with Rabbi Eli Reingold, Rosh Kollel, YGW. Thursday evenings after the 10:00 PM Maariv at the YGW Boys Campus. For more information please contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy is giving a Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon weekday afternoons, Monday through Thursday 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM at 609 Hyde Road.
Bnei Akiva Snif this week for 3rd – 6th graders at KMS 1 hour before KMS Mincha. Walking groups leave YISE 20 min prior to the start of Snif (80 minutes before KMS Mincha).
Parsha Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, November 12, at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 316, at 3:00 PM.
Avos uBonim 2016/5777 begins Motzei Shabbos, November 12, at 7:00 PM at the YGW Boys Division. Program includes learning followed by pizza, raffles and prizes.
Tefillah: The Ultimate Connection – 14th Annual Rachel Imeinu Yahrzeit Video sponsored by The Mesorah Women's Learning Institute. A video with awesome stories of Yeshuos through Tefillah, to be shown at SEHC, Motzei Shabbos, November 12, 8:15 PM. With an introduction by HaRav Shmuel Kamenetsky, Shlita, featured speakers are Rabbi Paysach Krohn, Rebbetzin Tzipora Heller and Rebbetzin Tehila Jaeger. For women and girls only. Suggested donation is $10. All proceeds go to Aniyei Eretz Yisroel (the poor and needy of Eretz Yisroel). For more info please contact Sorah Rivkah Goodman 301-681-6347.
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, November 16, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Bethesda Mincha – Daily Minyan at 1:15 PM at 7910 Woodmont Avenue, Suite 870. Contact email@example.com to be placed on the daily e-mail group.
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington Annual Gala – Honoring Fran Kritz (Founder's Award) and Judy & Jerry Frank (Community Service Award) will take place on Sunday, November 20 at B'nai Israel Congregation, 10:00 AM – 12:30 PM. Reserve online at www.bikurcholimgw.org For more information contact 202-331-4481 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Talk Israel – Teens from across Greater Washington are invited to participate in this popular one-day conference. High school students (grades 9 – 12). Sunday, November 20, 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM, The Jewish Federation of Greater Washington, Abraham S. & Minnie Kay Conference Center, 6101 Executive Blvd. Cost $15 – includes kosher lunch and all materials for the day. Questions: contact Samantha Vinokor-Meinrath at email@example.com or 301-230-7283.
"Ma Rabu Ma'asecha…" Celebrating the Wonder of Hashem's Creations – A new season of science lectures beginning Sunday, November 20. "Kol Demama Daka: Listening to Gravitational Waves" by Dr. Jeremy Schnittman, Astrophysicist at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center. Torah Insights by HaRav Ahron Lopiansky, Rosh HaYeshiva of YGW Tiferes Gedaliah. Sunday, November 20, 12:30 PM – Mincha following. YGW Boys Campus. For more information: Rabbi Scott Hillman 301-962-5111 ext 1553.
Workplace Skills Workshop:
* Federal Job Search – Cracking the Code: Free webinar, Monday, November 21, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM. Information and register at http://federaljobresults.com/events.htm
The Week Ahead
Sunday, November 13 Monday, November 14 Tuesday, November 15 Wednesday, November 16 Thursday, November 17 Friday, November 18
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 6:10, 7:10 6:15, 7:15 6:15, 7:15 6:10, 7:10 6:15, 7:15
Arcola 4:40 4:40 / 7:30, 9:00 4:40 / 7:30, 9:00 4:40 / 7:30, 9:00 4:40 / 7:30, 9:00 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 4:35 4:35 4:35 4:35 4:35
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 6:01 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:20 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:24 PM
November 18-19, 2016 – 18 Cheshvan 5777
Light Candles by 4:33 – Havdalah 5:34
* Light Candles by 4:33
Arcola: 4:35 University: 4:35 Sephardi: 4:30 Nusach Sefard: 4:35
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 4:30 University: 4:30 Sephardi: 4:10 Nusach Sefard: 4:30
* Maariv/Havdalah: 5:34
Motzei Shabbos, Nov.12 A (K)night of Chess and Checkers! 6:45 PM – 8:15 PM, YISE Social Hall
Sunday, November 13 Tech Cafe, 12:00 noon
Wednesday, November 16 Senior Lunch, 12:00 noon Program: "Harp Happy" Concert by four harpists
Wednesday, November 16 YISE Board of Directors Meeting, 7:30 PM
Friday, November 18, Ruach Minyan, 4:35 PM, YISE Social Hall
Motzei Shabbos, Nov. 19 The First Dor L'dor, 6:45 PM YISE Social Hall
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, November 16 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager