Parashas Korach – July 8-9, 2016
Download the July 8-9, 2016 Shabbos Shorts [PDF]
Sign up to get the Shabbos Shorts emailed to you each week
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
July 8-9, 2016 – 3 Tammuz 5776 – Parshas Korach
Light Candles by 8:18 (and not before 7:03) – Havdalah 9:24
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week in honor of the 31st Annual Rabbi Morris D. & Rebbetzen Esther Rosenblatt Memorial Lecture on Sunday, July 10, with Ambassador Dennis Ross as the speaker.
* Tenise & Joel Becker on the birth of a grandson, Yehoshua, to their children Favi & Yiri Becker of Cleveland and to the siblings Benyamin, Yehuda, Ahuva, and Leeba.
* Leah & Yoni Bresler and Ariella & Yossi Gold on the marriage of their children Devorah (Bresler) & Azriel Gold of Alon Shvut! Mazal Tov to Azriel's grandparents, Donna & Morty Taragin and Leah & Rabbi Peretz Gold and to great-aunt and uncle, Elaine & Jerry Taragin. Mazal Tov to all the extended Bresler, Gold and Taragin families.
* Light Candles by 8:18, and not before 7:03
Arcola: 6:45, 7:20, 8:20 University: 7:15 Sephardi: 7:15 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
The 9:15 Minyan will meet in the Small Social Hall throughout the summer.
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 8:15 University: 8:15 Sephardi: 7:55 Nusach Sefard: 8:15
* Maariv/Havdalah: 9:24
* 8:00 and 8:45 Main Minyanim Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* 8:00 Minyan – "The Chevra"
* Sephardi Minyan – Moshe Nissan in memory of his mother Latifa Bat Reginah, and by the Sephardic Group in honor of the Wizman family on their return to Israel.
* 8:45 Main Minyan / 9:15 Minyan – The First Annual YISE Volunteer Appreciation Kiddush
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, behind the balcony.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 7:10 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur at 7:45 PM.
* Rabbi Silver – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Barry Greengart – Shiur after Mincha at University.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual selfimprovement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony – will resume July 24.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony – will resume July 19.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday eveningsat 8:00 PM, in the Social Hall. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org – will resume July 19.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash – will resume July 20.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash – will resume July20.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women, a mix of Halachaand Aggada. Tuesday evening at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact email@example.com
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM – will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network's Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or firstname.lastname@example.org
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah – Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the Social Hall; Mincha at 7:45 and Maariv to follow. Choose from classes:
* Gemara Kop with R' Nachum Schwartz
* Becoming an Inspired Eved Hashem – Alei Shur (R' Shlomo Wolbe) with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:00 PM at University.
* GWCK Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed tofoster Gemara proficiency, Thursdays, 8:45 PM – 9:30 PM in thesmall Social Hall.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will NOT meet this week, and will resume at the end of the summer.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Early care for 2-5 year-olds runs from 9:30-10:00. Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
The Youth Committee is looking for new group leaders for next year (girls and boys). Time can be counted as Chesed hours. There are special activities for leaders as appreciation.
YISE Programs and Listings
The First Annual YISE Volunteer Appreciation Kiddush will take place after the 8:45 Main Minyan this Shabbos, July 9, recognizing the many volunteers who make our Shul so special. Take a moment at the Kiddush to view the list of the many volunteers who dedicate their time and energy to our YISE community. Sincerest appologies for any inadvertent ommissions.
New Play Area – The Youth Committee is setting up a temporary toddler play area at the Shul, in the fenced-off area facing Arcola. While the Kemp Mill Park playground is under renovation, play equipment will be available on Shabbos and Yom Tov mornings. Children must be supervised at all times. The play equipment will be available from approximately 10:00 AM until after Kiddush. Anyone who has playground equipment (Little Tikes or similar) in good condition, or would like to contribute a donation to help purchase equipment should please contact the Youth Committee at email@example.com
Rabbi's Vacation – Rabbi Rosenbaum is on vacation through Sunday, July 17. Shaalos can be addressed to Rabbi Silver, 917-363-5840. Anyone who needs to speak with Rabbi Rosenbaum regarding an urgent matter can call the Shul office, 301-593-4465, and Rabbi Rosenbaum will be contacted.
Shomrai Nursery is looking to hire a lead teacher for the two-yearold and Pre-K classes for the 2016-2017 school year. We are also seeking part-time and full-time assistants. For more information, please check the school's website: nursery.yise.org/positions-available Send resume and cover letter to Ruthie Cohen at firstname.lastname@example.org
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill – YISE's Chesed Committee has a program to help members undergoing serious medical crises. If you or someone you know needs help with meals, carpools, childcare, etc., or to volunteer, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org If you are unable to cook a meal or help out, but would like to make a donation to Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill, please contact Simi Franco in the office.
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before regular Mincha.
Dirshu Daf Yomi B'Halacha on Hilchos Krias HaTorah, learn Mishna Brurah with Rabbi Eli Reingold, Monday – Thursday, 40 minutes before Mincha in the YISE Social Hall. For information contact him at 301-996-5910 or email@example.com
Tehillim – Wednesday mornings. Contact Arleeta Lerner at 301-649-0552.
Shiur on Parsha – This Shabbos, July 9, with Rabbi Marvin Goldman. at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 316, at 5:00 PM.
The U.S.-Israel Relationship and America's Approach to the Middle East – Ambassador Dennis Ross will deliver the 31st Annual Rabbi Morris D. and Rebbetzin Esther Rosenblatt Z"L Memorial Lecture on Sunday, July 10, at Congregation Kneseth Israel, 1125 Spa Road, Annapolis. Refreshments 10:15 AM; lecture: 11:00 AM. The event is free and open to the public.
Yad Zlata Presents An Evening of Inspiring Music – Featuring the current Superstar Benny Friedman (of Yesh Tikva fame). JCC Kreeger Theater, Sunday, July 10, 7:00 PM. For further info and to RSVP please see our website: www.YadZlata.org Special rate concert tickets available through the Hebrew Academy Friends of Zlata: Call Mrs. Jennifer Zukerman at the BHA.
Privacy and Surveillance in Light of Jewish Law – Join Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman and GWCK at Morgan Lewis & Bockius for another fascinating lecture. Monday, July 11. Lecture and lunch are free of charge. 1111 Pennsylvania Avenue Room 231. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring invites you to join us for our Siyum on Maseches Yevamos, featuring Rabbi Mordechai Rhine, Rav of SEHC-KY. Sunday July 10 at 6:00 PM, at SEHC-KY. Mincha 5:45 PM. Suggested donation $10/person and sponsorship $50. Women are invited to participate. Catered by Royal Dragon Restaurant. For more information contact Hirsh Komarow 301-681-1646 or email@example.com and/or visit our website: www.kolleldirshu.com
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is starting Maseches Kesuvos on Monday, July 11. The Shiur covers 2-1/2 Daf a week. In Kemp Mill, we meet at the Boys Yeshiva. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) with Rabbi Eli Reingold or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) with Ranon Cortell and Pinchas Werner. Every 4th week is for review/catch up. Chavrusos are available. For more information, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
BOOST – The State of Maryland has a new program to provide scholarships for the 2016-2017 school year for nonpublic school students from low-income families All eligible families may apply for a scholarship through the BOOST (Broadening Options and Opportunities for Students Today) program for all their children in grades K thru 12. Interested families are encouraged to visit the BOOST website (www.marylandpublicschools.org/BOOST). The deadline for applications is July 11.
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, July 13, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Boys SEED Summer Learning at YGW–Tiferes Gedaliah – For rising 6th-11th graders. August 15 – 25, 8:30 AM – 2:30 PM. 8:30 AM Davening/breakfast, 9:30 AM learning, 11:30 AM lunch, 12:00 Noon activity, 1:00 PM swimming, 2:30 PM pick up. Please bring cereal and a bagged lunch, we will provide milk and paper goods. Drop off: YISE. Pick up: YGW Boys Campus. Cost: $50 per week per student, $75 for full program – Trips cost extra. To sign up or for more information contact Rabbi Simmy Merkin at email@example.com or 301-962-5111 ext 1522.
The Week Ahead
Sunday, July 10 Monday, July 11 Tuesday, July 12 Wednesday, July 13 Thursday, July 14 Friday, July 15
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 6:10, 7:10 6:15, 7:15 6:15, 7:15 6:10, 7:10 6:15, 7:15
Arcola 8:20 8:20 8:20 8:20 8:20 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 8:15 8:15 8:15 8:15 8:15
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 4:53 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:32 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:51 PM
July 15-16, 2016 – 10 Tammuz 5776
Light Candles by 8:14 – Havdalah 9:20
* Light Candles by 8:14, and not before 7:01
Arcola: 6:45, 7:15, 8:15 University: 7:15 Sephardi: 7:15 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 8:10 University: 8:10 Sephardi: 7:50 Nusach Sefard: 8:10
* Maariv/Havdalah: 9:20
Shabbos, July 9 The First Annual YISE Volunteer Appreciation Kiddush
Like YISE on Facebook: facebook.com/YIShomraiEmunah
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, July 13 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director