Download the March 1-2 Shabbos Shorts [PDF]
Sign up to get the Shabbos Shorts emailed to you each week
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
March 1-2, 2013 – 20 Adar 5773 – Parshas Ki Sisa – Parshas Parah
Light Candles by 5:43 – Havdalah 6:42
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Arleeta & Rabbi Dr. Ivan Lerner in honor of the Bar Mitzvah of their grandson, Yeshaya Shlomo, son of Shoshana & Ari Lerner of Baltimore. Mazal Tov also to grandparents, Carole & Morty Pancer, of Kemp Mill, and great-grandmother, Dena Gerber, of Baltimore.
* Light Candles by 5:43
* Mincha 5:40 (Sephardi), 5:45 (Arcola & Univ.)
* Ruach Minyan 5:45 (Arcola Social Hall)
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 5:25 (Sephardi), 5:40
* Maariv/Havdalah 6:42
* 8:45 Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Ethan Eisen
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – Chaim Neustadter on the Yahrzeit of his father, Israel Neustadter.
* 8 AM Minyan – "The Chevra"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – Miriam & Steve Friedman in honor of the Bar Mitzvah of their son, Edan; and Jodi & David Mazel in honor of the engagement of their daughter, Suzanne, to Jack Voystock.
* R' Pinchas Werner – Shiur at 8:15 AM.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 4:40 PM.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 4:40 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur at 5:10 PM.
* Rabbi Jeremy Stern – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
Rabbi Stern is the executive director of ORA, His topic is "A Communal Imperative to Resolve the Agunah Crisis."
* R' Moshe Kasser – Shiur after Mincha at University.
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade meet in the Small Beis Medrash; Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10 AM-11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
The YISE Youth Department would like to thank all the volunteers and sponsors who helped make this year's Purim Carnival a success. A special thanks goes to the following: Josh Breitstein, Shani Breitstein, Scott Miller, Yaakov Miller, Akiva Miller, Aviva Miller, Talia Miller, Ruthie Cohen, Mordechai Cohen, Yitzy Sandberg, Yael Miller, Penina Rubin, Yonason Lasdun, Ezzie Lasdun, and our sponsors the Weinstein family and Saks family.
The world renowned storyteller and speaker Rebbee Hill will be speaking at YISE for children of all ages. The "Man of Many Faces" will tell stories and more in his dynamic storytelling style. This Shabbos , March 2, 3:00 PM – 3:45 PM, YISE Social Hall. This program is brought to you by the Mond Family, L'ilui Nishmas Yehudah Aryeh Ben Yehoshua Yakir in coordination with the YISE Youth Committee.
SAVE THE DATE AND MARK YOUR CALENDAR NOW!
YISE Annual Banquet, Sunday, April 14, 2013.
* Pearl Bassan on the birth of a granddaughter in Israel.
* Channah & Paul Berner on the birth of a granddaughter, Batshevea Raizel, to their children Heather & Ethan Berner of Baltimore, and to great-grandmother Flora Berner.
* Miriam & Steve Friedman on the Bar Mitzvah of their son, Edan. Mazal Tov to his siblings Matan and Merav, to the grandparents Delia & George Weiss and Sandi Friedman, and all the cousins and friends who have come to celebrate.
* Esther Goldfeiz on the passing of her father, Zachary Merkin. The funeral took place in Izmir, Turkey. Shiva will be observed at 516 Lamberton Drive through Tuesday morning.
* Valerie Kugler on the passing of her father, David Braun. The funeral took place in New Jersey. Shiva will be observed at 11602 Fillmore Drive through Wednesday morning.
YISE Programs and Listings
Dor L'Dor – the family Chevrusah-style learning in a fun environment! Motzei Shabbos at 7:30 PM in Arcola social hall and open to the entire community! This week is sponsored by Chava & David Katzoff and family. This week includes the GRAND PRIZE RAFFLE!!!
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Greengart will be speaking on topics in Jewish history and Pesach on March 4, 1:30 PM – 2:30 PM at 1111 University Blvd. W., #215 (Mr. Marvin Konick's apartment). For more information contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pesach Seder Preparations – Join Rabbi Rosenbaum as he reviews Halachos and Insights of the Seder as part of the "Together for 5" Audio Shiur Program, March 4 – 22. More information can be found on the new Shiurim link on YISE.org. Nearly 200 subscribers and still growing.
YISE Clean Up – Clothing and other items which have been left in the Arcola Belonofsky lobby or downstairs coatroom for several weeks will be removed this Thursday, March 7. Please take yours home.
The congregation is invited to a Shalosh Seudos on Shabbos, March 9, sponsored by Janet Rottenberg, Mindy & Shmuel Tolchinsky, Simi & Sammy Franco, and Jerry Rottenberg, in commemoration of the upcoming 2nd Yahrzeit of Melvin Rottenberg, Menachem Mendel ben Tzvi Yehuda Z"L, and celebrating the Siyum of Maseches Shabbos by the Daf Yomi Group.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Pre-Pesach Halacha Review Shiur will be held on Monday, March 11, 8:00 PM in the Belonofsky Sanctuary. This program is sponsored in memory of Dr. Manfred Leiser, Z"L, by Roberta M. Leiser and family.
Special Pesach Shiur for Men and Women by Rabbi Eli Reingold – "The Four Sons' Message to YOU and Your Children: Interpreting the Haggadah's Message Through the Four Sons" – Tuesday, March 12, 8:00 PM at YISE. Presented by the Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah of YISE and the Kollel Zichron Amram of the Yeshiva of Greater Washington.
YISE is selling Shatzer Shmurah Matzah – $21.99/lb. regular or whole wheat. Visit www.yise.org/matzah for more information or contact email@example.com.
Food Drive Meets Great Need – The 10th Pesach Chometz Riddance Food drive, which runs from February 24 to March 21, collects donations for the Capital Area Food Bank. Please bring your donations to a bin outside the Arcola Social Hall or at University Boulevard.
The Third Annual Siyum Tanach in Memory of Rav Anemer Z"L will be held at a Seudat Shlishit on Shabbos, April 13, Parshas Tazria-Metzorah. To register for a particular section visit www.yise.org/siyum or contact Bob Levi at 301-593-2399.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill – YISE's Chesed Committee has a program to help members undergoing serious medical crises. If you or someone you know needs help with meals, carpools, childcare, etc., or to volunteer, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com or pick up a form in the lobby.
Job Assist Events:
* 2-Day Job Search Boot Camp – Intense coverage of networking, resumes, interviewing, and more. Wed.-Thur., Mar 6-7, 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM. Free (normally $50). 200 Wood Hill Road, Rockville. Details at www.jssa.org.
* Computer Training Online – (1) Dreamweaver, Thursday, March 7, (2) Excel, Thursday, March 7, and (3) Photoshop (Intermediate), starts Tuesday, March 12. For all classes, details at www.oujobs.org.
Be a part of the global Good Deeds Day – Clean the parks – Kemp Mill Shopping Center Park and Sligo Creek Park on Sunday, March 10 anytime from 1:30 PM – 4:30 PM. Sponsored by the YISE and KMS Chesed Committees, and MJBHA. For more info, please contact Miriam Friedman at firstname.lastname@example.org. Meet at the KM Shopping Center Park by the steps to get gloves, trash bags, and a tee shirt. Upper School students can receive community service hours. All ages may volunteer.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement) will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM-6:45 AM, Arcola Social Hall.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Zichron Gedaliah Bais Medrash for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesday evenings at University Blvd. will resume after Pesach
* Greater Washington Community Kollel:
* Linas Hatzedek – Business Ethics – will not meet this week.
* Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster independent Gemara proficiency. Thursday evenings at 8:00 PM.
Community Programs and Listings
Bnei Akiva – Snif this week will be from 4:15 PM until mincha (5:30 PM) at KMS. Walking groups will leave YISE at 3:45 PM.
March is Teen Dating Abuse Awareness Month! Choose Respect Montgomery: Moving Beyond the Myths, Sunday, March 3, 1:00 PM – 4:30 PM, Montgomery College – Germantown Campus. Open to 6th-12th graders, parents & educators Fee: FREE!
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring – Join us as we begin our 17th Mesechta! Beginning Monday, March 4, Mesechta Eiruvin. One Amud per day / 2.5 Daf per week. Morning and evening programs. For more info. contact Hirsh Komarow 301-681-1646 or Rabbi Eli Reingold 301-592-9210.
Cockney Girl – Gilda Haber will present a talk and slide show about her book, an eye-witness British-born-Jewish girl's memoir about her tumultuous pre-war and wartime Blitz childhood. Tuesday, March 5, 12:30 PM – 2:00 PM, Meyerhoff Jewish and Israel Center at Maryland University College Park, Holzapfel Building. Free and refreshments. For more information: Debra Kirsch, email@example.com, 301-405-4975.
Preparing the Kitchen for Pesach: A Review of the Halachos – the Yeshiva of Greater Washington Women's Alumnae Association and the Kollel Zichron Amram present a Shiur for women with Rabbi Eli Reingold on Wednesday, March 6, 8:30 PM at the YGW Boys' Campus. For more information please contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Wanted: Paid Shomrim to serve in local funeral homes. Please call Howard Katz 301-933-3033.
"Transmitting the Foundations of Emunah to our Children and Grandchildren – The Zaidy's Crucial Role in the Process" – Rabbi Moshe Walter. Thursday, March 14, 9:00 AM. Shacharis at 8:00 AM followed by lecture. Woodside Synagogue, 9001 Georgia Ave. For more info. contact The Golden Network (301) 338-4810 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Let All Who Are Hungry Come and Eat – Help local families and individuals, struggling to make ends meet. Two local foundations welcome your donations for Pesach. (1) The Franco Foundation, Allan Franco, 613 Bromley Street, or through paypal at email@example.com. (2) Yehuda Mond Foundation, online, at yehudamondfoundation.org; by mailing a check to 812 Hyde Court, or by calling 443-539-1465. Please mark your checks for checks, "Maos Chittim."
YGW 8th Grade Girls are having a raffle to raise money for their graduation trip. Prize is a meal for 8-10 from Max's including grape juice, Challah, soup, salad, 2 side dishes, chicken & dessert. Tickets are 1/$3, 2/$5, 5/$12 or 10/$20. If interested please contact Temmi Lattin at firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-593-3757.
The Week Ahead
Sunday, March 3 Monday, March 4 Tuesday, March 5 Wednesday, March 6 Thursday, March 7 Friday, March 8
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
University 8:00 6:15 6:30 6:30 6:15 6:30
Sephardi 7:30 6:05 6:15 6:15 6:05 6:15
Arcola 5:50 5:50 5:50 5:50 5:50 See Shabbos schedule
University 5:50 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv)
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 5:45 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:23 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:51 PM
March 8-9, 2013 – 27 Adar 5773
Parshas Vayakhel-Pekudei / Parshas HaChodesh
Light Candles by 5:50 – Havdalah 6:49
* Light Candles by 5:50
* Mincha 5:45 (Sephardi), 5:50 (Arcola & Univ.)
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 5:20 (Sephardi), 5:35 (Arcola), 5:45 (Univ.)
* Maariv/Havdalah 6:49
* Remember to change your clocks – "Spring Forward" one hour
Friday, March 1 Ruach Minyan, 5:45 (Arcola Social Hall)
Shabbos, March 2 Bar Mitzvah of Edan Friedman
Motzei Shabbos, March 2 Dor L'Dor, 7:30 PM, Arcola Social Hall
Monday, March 4 Basic Colors, 11:00 – 6:00, Arcola Social Hall
Wednesday, March 6 Senior Lunch, Arcola, 12:00 Noon
Shabbos, March 9 Bar Mitzvah of Eyal Mordechai
Motzei Shabbos, March 9 Change your clocks – "Spring Forward"
Monday, March 11 Rabbi Rosenbaum's Pre-Pesach Shiur, 8:00 PM
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, March 6, at 12 noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday thru Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM and Friday 9:00 AM-1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Dr. Marc Katz – President
Alan Zimmerman – Executive Director