Parashas Ki Sisa – March 6-7, 2015
Download the March 6-7, 2015 Shabbos Shorts [PDF]
Sign up to get the Shabbos Shorts emailed to you each week
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
March 6-7, 2015 – 16 Adar 5775 – Parshas Ki Sisa
Light Candles by 5:47 – Havdalah 6:47
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week in appreciation of those who support Shiva Minyanim.
* Light Candles by 5:47
Arcola: 5:50 University: 5:50 Sephardi: 5:45 Nusach Sefard: 5:50
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:45 University: 5:45 Sephardi: 5:30 Nusach Sefard: 5:45
* Maariv/Havdalah: 6:47
* Remember to change your clocks – "Spring Forward" one hour
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* 8:00 Minyan – Chava & David Katzoff in honor of the Bat Mitzvah of their daughter, Tova Malka.
* 8:45 Main Minyan – Emily & Todd Friedman in honor of the birth of their daughter, Shoshana Leah.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 4:30 PM.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 5:00 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur at 5:15 PM.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola
* Rabbi Silver – Shiur after Mincha at University.
* Chava & David Katzoff on the Bat Mitzvah of their daughter, Tova Malka. Mazal Tov to the grandparents Cecile & Jerry Katzoff and Rivka & Hershy Berman.
* Larry Lerman on the passing of his father, Harold Lerman. The funeral was held on Wednesday in New Jersey. Shiva will be observed in New Jersey through Tuesday morning.
YISE Programs and Listings
Saving a Life on Shabbos – Rabbi Rosenbaum and Dr. Theo Heller discuss how you determine whether a life is at stake, what questions to ask, who can do what, when, and how, and what to do when you are just not sure. Sunday, March 8, YISE Beis Medrash, 10:30 AM – 12:00 noon. Sponsored by Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington, and the Chesed Committees of YISE, KMS, and SSJC.
The Fifth Annual Siyum Tanach in Memory of Rav Anemer ZT"L will be held at a Shalosh Seudos on Shabbos, April 25, Parshas Tazria-Metzorah. To register for a particular section visit www.yise.org/siyum or contact Bob Levi at 301-593-2399.
Dedicate a Window – YISE is raffling off the dedication of the two recently installed stained-glass windows. One ticket: $36. Three tickets: $100. Drawing at YISE on April 15. Tickets must be paid for by 5:00 PM on April 14. To order tickets, send an e-mail to email@example.com or send a check payable to YISE marked "Window raffle"or to pay by credit card, call Simi Franco in the YISE office at 301-593-4465 x403. Questions? firstname.lastname@example.org
Hamburgers, Hot Dogs, and Haggadahs – Adults-only event run by YISE Youth to help parents/grandparents learn new ways to enhance the Seder experience for their children/grandchildren, while enjoying a night out with BBQ. Sunday, March 22, 7:30 PM – 9:00 PM, Social Hall. $10 per person, payable at the door. Please see the flyer on the electronic board and RSVP to email@example.com
Shomrai Nursery Registration for 2015-2016 is now OPEN! Our Torah based preschool program is open from 7:30 AM until 6:00 PM. Program lengths vary according to parents' and child's needs. Tours of the school are by appointment only. Call 301-593-7365 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for inquiries.
Waterproof Personalized Labels – Fundraiser for YISE Nursery. With camp preparations beginning, order laundry, pool and dishwasher safe personalized labels and gifts though namebubbles.com and support YISE Nursery. Just enter YISE15 in the promotional code box. 20% goes to YISE Nursery. Free shipping!
Yom HaShoah Commemoration – Looking for students in 9th -12th grade who would be interested in participating in the youth program for the community-wide Yom HaShoah program. Please contact Rene Isser at email@example.com or Debby Levitt at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested.
Be Part of Global Good Deeds Day and join us on Sunday, March 15 from 1:00 PM – 3:00 PM:
* Clowning and Parade Event – join YISE, BCGW and other Jewish organizations at The Hebrew Home. Meet at 1:00 PM in the lobby. Bring your funny hats and costumes and make the residents smile. Upper School students can receive community service hours Limited to 15 volunteers. To sign up, please contact Miriam Friedman at email@example.com
* Park Cleanup at the Kemp Mill Park and Sligo Creek Park – Join YISE and other Jewish organizations in conjunction with Montgomery Parks. Meet at the steps near CVS in the Kemp Mill Park anytime between 1:00 PM – 3:00 PM. Bags, gloves, and tee shirts will be distributed. Upper School students can receive community service hours. Great for all ages! Contact Miriam Friedman at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Haftoros Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver's Halacha Shiur for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM, in the Social Hall, part of the Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah.We will be discussing "Halachos of Berachos."
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM. Choose from four classes.
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network's Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or email@example.com
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah – Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the Social Hall; Maariv to follow. Choose from classes:
* Gemara Kop with R' Nachum Schwartz
* Becoming an Inspired Eved Hashem – Alei Shur (R' Shlomo Wolbe) with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher
* Iyunim L'Halacha with R' Moshe Haim Blate
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM at University.
* GWCK Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency, Thursdays at 8:00 PM in the small Social Hall.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, in the small Social Hall, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by Rona & Aaron Lerner in appreciation of the Minyan's outstanding job in leading services at the 8:45 Main Minyan on Shabbos Parshas Zachor.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos at 10:30 AM.
Tehillim – Wednesday mornings. Contact Arleeta Lerner for details 301-649-0552.
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, March 11, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Pirchei is Coming! Calling all boys, first through sixth grade! Pirchei is starting up Parshas Vayakhel-Pekudei, March 14, in the classrooms at the Yeshiva, 4:00 PM – 4:55 PM. See you there! To join our email list, contact Ranon Cortell or Pinchas Werner at email@example.com.
Pre-Pesach Boutique in Kemp Mill – Sunday, March 8, at YISE, 11:00 AM – 3:30 PM. Some popular vendors to look forward to seeing: Polka Dots, E-Jeweled, Jewelry by the Strand, Lula Roe Fashions, Just Suits, Pampered Chef, Lena Wigs and more. There will be shells, hats, scarves, jewelry and art. Sponsored by the PTSO of YGW.
Rides and Volunteers for Seniors in the Community – The Senior Connection, a non-profit organization that serves lower Montgomery County, has an urgent need for volunteers in Silver Spring to meet a great jump in demand for free escorted rides to scheduled medical appointments, help with grocery shopping and friendly visits or phone calls to share companionship. For more information: www.seniorconnectionmc.org or contact Mary Murphy at 301-962-0820.
Workplace Skills Workshops:
* Accounting Issues for Small Business – Rescheduled. Free workshop with Sharon Samuels. Monday, March 9, 7:30 PM – 9:00 PM. KMS. To reserve a seat, please email DMarwick@JobAssist.org
* Federal Job Applications – Free webinar on tips and tricks for applying. Wednesday, March 11, 7:00 PM – 7:30 PM. Info and register at http://www.resume-place.com/services/free-webinars-7-tips-to-a-federal-job/
Pesach Preparations – YISE and Beyond
YISE Shmurah Matzah Fundraiser – Handmade Shmurah Matzah, regular or whole wheat, will be available from Shatzer Bakery at $22 per pound. Order deadline is Wednesday, March 18. To order, send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and include the number of pounds of regular and whole wheat. Matzah may be picked up Wednesday, March 25, and Thursday, March 26, from 7:30 PM to 9:00 PM in the Arcola Social Hall. Online ordering at www.yise.org/matzah
Hachnosas Orchim – The Hospitality Committee is looking for volunteers to host people for Pesach (including the Sedarim). If you are willing to host, please contact the Hospitality Committee at email@example.com with how many people you can host and what meals. Additionally, if you need to be set up for a meal on Pesach, please contact the committee with the meal(s) you need.
From the Desk of the Rabbi: Last Minute Pesach Questions Before the Last Minute – Monday, March 9. A shiur for women with Rabbi Eli Reingold. 8:30pm YGW Boys Campus, presented by The YGW Women's Alumnae Association and the Kollel Zichron Amram. For more information, please contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Food Drive Meets Soaring Need – Our annual Food Drive goes from March 9 through March 30, benefiting over 500,000 people in our region struggling with hunger. Your donations, which go to the Capital Area Food Bank, also help Jewish individuals and families in our communities to fill their pantries through the Yehuda Mond Foundation, an authorized distributor of the Food Bank. YISE is taking part, along with many other synagogues in the area, and organizations such as our day schools, community centers, and apartment complexes. Please bring unopened and non-perishable cans and boxes of food to the container outside the Social Hall.
Maos Chitim – Let All Who Are Hungry Come and Eat – Help local families and individuals, struggling to make ends meet:
* YISE Charity Fund – Drop off checks at the office made out to "YISE Charity Fund" and specifically marked "Maos Chitim" or give them to Rabbi Rosenbaum directly.
The Week Ahead
Sunday, March 8 Monday, March 9 Tuesday, March 10 Wednesday, March 11 Thursday, March 12 Friday, March 13
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
University 8:00 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Sephardi 7:30 6:15, 7:10 6:20, 7:15 6:20, 7:15 6:15, 7:10 6:20, 7:15
Arcola 6:55 6:55 6:55 6:55 6:55 See Shabbos schedule
University N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 6:39 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 10:19 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:50 PM
March 13-14, 2015 – 23 Adar 5775
Parshas Vayakhel-Pekudei – Parshas Parah
Light Candles by 6:54 – Havdalah 7:54
* Light Candles by 6:54
Arcola: 6:55 University: 6:55 Sephardi: 6:50 Nusach Sefard: 6:55
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 6:45 University: 6:45 Sephardi: 6:30 Nusach Sefard: 6:45
* Maariv/Havdalah: 7:54
Sunday, March 8 Saving a Life on Shabbos, 10:30 AM, Beis Medrash
Shabbos, March 14 Aufruf of Samuel Billig
Wednesday, March 18 Senior Lunch, 12:00 Noon, YISE Nursery School will be singing.
Sunday, March 22 Hamburgers, Hot Dogs and Haggadahs, 7:30 PM, Social Hall
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, March 11 at 12 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director