Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
February 26-27, 2016 – 18 Adar 1 5776 – Parshas Ki Sisa
Light Candles by 5:39 – Havdalah 6:38
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Joey Franco – Mortgage Banker – 301-529-5387.
* Dr. Debra & Jacob Frenkel on the engagement of their son, Chaim, to Tova Safier of Memphis. Mazal Tov to his siblings, Menachem, Shoshana, Yosef and Eliana.
* Arona & Rabbi Amram Hes on the birth of a daughter. Mazal Tov to the grandparents, Sara & Rabbi David Hyatt and Debbie & Ezra Hes, and to all the siblings, aunts, uncles and cousins.
* Judy & David Marwick on the Bat Mitzvah of their granddaughter, Chana Meira Marwick, daughter of Dr. Miriam S. & Rabbi Binyamin Marwick of Baltimore.
* Emilie & Rabbi Yitzchok Merkin on the engagement of their son, Yudi, to Cheli Elbaum. The Vort will be held this Sunday, February 28, from 2:00 PM to 5:00 PM at the Boys Yeshiva.
* Light Candles by 5:39
Arcola: 5:40 University: 5:40 Sephardi: 5:35 Nusach Sefard: 5:40
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:35 University: 5:35 Sephardi: 5:15 Nusach Sefard: 5:35
* Maariv/Havdalah: 6:38
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 and 9:15 Minyanim Rabbi Silver
* University Rabbi Barry Greengart
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* 8:00 Minyan – "The Chevra"
* Sephardi Minyan – "Sephardic Group" and by Avi Peretz
* 8:45 Main Minyan – Arlene Groner in honor of her retirement after 30 years of government service.
* 9:15 Minyan – "The 9:15 Group"
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, behind balcony.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 4:35 PM
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 4:45 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha at University.
* Rabbi Silver – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual selfimprovement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash – now learning Sefer Shoftim.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women. A mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evening at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM – program will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network's Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or email@example.com
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah – Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the Social Hall; Maariv to follow. Choose from classes:
* Gemara Kop with R' Nachum Schwartz
* Becoming an Inspired Eved Hashem – Alei Shur (R' Shlomo Wolbe) with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher
* Iyunim L'Halacha with R' Moshe Haim Blate
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM at University.
* GWCK Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency, Thursdays at 8:00 PM in the small Social Hall.
YISE Programs and Listings
THIS WEEKEND: Dor L'Dor – Family Chevrusah-style learning in a fun environment! Motzei Shabbos, February 27, 7:45 PM, Arcola Social Hall. Open to the entire community! Delicious pizza! Interactive discussions! Raffle of exciting prizes! Lots of fun!
I'll say Amen to that! Why do we pray in a Minyan? What makes communal prayer special? Rabbi Rosenbaum will lead a new class: Tefilah B'Tzibur – The Unique Aspects of Communal Prayer, on three consecutive Monday nights from 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the Belonofsky Sanctuary. This Monday, February 29, will focus on the value of davening in a minyan and the response "Amen." March 7 will focus on the Kaddish, and March 14 will focus on the Kedushah. Open to all. Part of the YISE Meaningful Tefilah Project. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington Volunteer Training – With Rabbi Elie Gayer and Rabbi Rosenbaum. Tuesday, March 1, 7:00 PM – 8:30 PM at YISE. Learn more about the Mitzvah of Bikur Cholim and how to be an effective BCGW volunteer.
NEXT WEEK: Ruach Minyan – Friday, March 4 at 5:50 in the Arcola Social Hall. Though there is no formal children's program, all are welcome to join and bring in Shabbos with us. If you have any questions or would like further information, email email@example.com
Symposium with The Vaad Harabanim of Greater Washington – The community is invited to explore the worlds of Kashrus, conversion, financial arbitration, divorce proceedings, and more. Sunday, March 13, 10:30 AM – 12:30 PM at YISE.
Everything You Always Wanted to Ask a Pediatrician: Great Tips for Raising Healthy Kids of all Ages – YISE Youth Presents a lecture with Dr. Lynn Trombka, Sunday, March 13, 8:00 PM, YISE Social Hall. For more information, contact Debbie Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org
Shomrai Nursery Registration for 2016-2017 is now OPEN! Our Torah based preschool program is open from 7:30 AM until 6:00 PM. Program lengths vary according to parents' and child's needs. Tours of the school are by appointment only. Call 301-593-7365 or email email@example.com for inquiries.
Camp Shomrai is back! Camp Shomrai is back for another great summer for ages 2-5! Early bird discount is available until March 1. For inquiries, please contact Sarah Dollman at firstname.lastname@example.org
Help Local Holocaust Survivors in Need – Bring items listed below into Shul (bins provided in the lower lobby) for packages that will be assembled and delivered on Good Deeds Day, April 10. Kosher food: salmon, tuna, canola and olive oil, whole wheat pasta and crackers, 100% fruit juice, oatmeal, and cream of wheat. Non-food items: $10 Giant gift cards, batteries. For more information, please contact: Miriam Friedman – email@example.com
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html SAVE THE DATE: YISE Annual Banquet – Sunday, April 3, 2016. Honoring: Barbara Price. Young Leadership Award: Adina & Josh Obstfeld. Youth Honorees: Shani Breitstein, Jessie Franco and Ahuva Wakschlag. If you would like to be on the committee please contact Rachelli Simon (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Cheryl Broth (email@example.com).
The Sixth Annual Siyum Tanach in Memory of Rav Anemer ZT"L
The Siyum will be held at a Shalosh Seudos on Shabbos, May 14, Parshas Kedoshim. To register for a particular section visit www.yise.org/siyum or contact Bob Levi at 301-593-2399.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Kiddush Club.
Parsha Shenanigans – Please join us this week for fun Parsha activities! Delicious snacks! Awesome prizes!: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos at 10:30 AM.
Dirshu Daf Yomi B'Halacha on Hilchos Tefillah, learn Mishna Brurah with Rabbi Eli Reingold, Monday – Thursday, 8:00 PM – 8:45PM at YGW. For information contact him at 301-996-5910 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Tehillim – Wednesday mornings. Contact Arleeta Lerner at 301-649-0552.
Topics in Jewish History – The Mesorah Women's Learning Institute is proud to host Mrs. Esther Schwarz for a three part Shiur for women only. Monday evenings at 8:00 PM, continues Monday, February 29 and March 7, at the home of Mrs. Helene Goodman. For more information contact Sorah Rivkah Goodman. Donations accepted.
Laugh and Learn! Interactive, multi-media, humor-filled presentation by American-Israeli comedian Benji Lovitt. Watch and discuss classic movies, TV shows, and comedy clips to gain a richer understanding of Israeli society. Motzei Shabbos, February 27 at 8:30 PM at KMS. Thanks to the support of generous sponsors, this program is free to the community. Questions? Contact Shuly Babitz (email@example.com) or Ina Lerman (301-681-7107).
Semi-Annual Yom Iyun for Men – Kollel Zichron Amram of YGWTiferes Gedaliah invites the community to a morning of Yeshiva learning. Sunday, February 28. Catered breakfast at 8:45 AM, learning at 9:30 AM with the Kollel and local Rabanim, and Shiur by Rabbi Reingold 11:50 AM. For more information: Contact Rabbi Moshe Haim Blate at 404-273-3392 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Nurturing Our Emunah in These Difficult Times – The Mesorah Women's Learning Institute is proudly hosting Rebbetzin Tehilla Jaeger. Sunday, February 28, 8:00 PM at YISE. As a Zechus for a Refuah Shleima for Raphael Yehoshua Falik Ben Bracha Basya and Tzvi Ben Sorah Chaya, and Illuy Neshama Yosef Yitzchak Ben Meir. For donation opportunities, please contact Sorah Rivkah Goodman at email@example.com
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, March 2, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Aliyah Event of the Year – Tuesday, March 8, at the Jewish Federation of Greater Washington at 6:30 PM. Hear from professionals about employment, communities, education, taxes, budgeting and retirement in Israel, and featuring a Vendor Fair running throughout the day. This is a great opportunity to meet and network with other people planning Aliyah. For more information: www.nbn.org.il/washington
Workplace Skills Workshops:
* Federal Job Search: Cracking the Code – Free webinar, Tuesday, March 8, 8:00 PM to 9:00 PM. Register at http://federaljobresults.com/events.htm
Purim Particulars – YISE and Beyond
Battling Amalek in our Times – Pre-Purim Shiur for women with Rabbi Rosenbaum. Sunday, March 13, at 8:30 PM at the home of Bayla Goodman, 11527 Monticello Avenue.
Purim Extravaganza – Join the YISE and KMS youth departments for a community wide Purim celebration on Sunday, March 20, 10:30 AM – 12:30 PM at YISE. $6.00 per person (2 and up). $20 family max.
YISE Shomrai Nursery Purim Card Sale – Please support our community's children by ordering our beautiful full color, glossy Purim cards featuring our very own students! Order: 3 cards for $6, 10 cards for $18, 20 cards for $36, 30 cards for $54, 40 cards for $72 (envelopes included). Contact email@example.com or 301-593-7365 and state your name, phone number and number of cards ordering. Cards available for pickup from Shul office or Shomrai Nursery.
AMIT is selling beautiful Purim Cards – Please contact Esther Edeson at 301-593-4465 x402 or Hope Taragin at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Week Ahead
Sunday, February 28 Monday, February 29 Tuesday, March 1 Wednesday, March 2 Thursday, March 3 Friday, March 4
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 6:10, 7:10 6:15, 7:15 6:15, 7:15 6:10, 7:10 6:15, 7:15
Arcola 5:45 5:45, 7:30 (Maariv) 5:45, 7:30 (Maariv) 5:45, 7:30 (Maariv) 5:45, 7:30 (Maariv) See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 5:40 5:40 5:40 5:40 5:40
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 5:51 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:26 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:52 PM
March 4-5, 2016 – 25 Adar 1 5776
Parshas Vayakhel, Parshas Shekalim,
Light Candles by 5:46 – Havdalah 6:46
* Light Candles by 5:46
Arcola: 5:50, Ruach University: 5:50 Sephardi: 5:45 Nusach Sefard: 5:50
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:45 University: 5:45 Sephardi: 5:25 Nusach Sefard: 5:45
* Maariv/Havdalah: 6:46
Motzei Shabbos, Feb. 27 Dor L'Dor, Arcola Social Hall, 7:45 PM
Wednesday, March 2 Senior Lunch, Arcola Social Hall, 12:00 PM – "Healthy Habits for a Healthier You" Speaker: Nancy Quarles, BSW.LSWA Alzheimer's Association, National Capital Area
Motzei Shabbos, March 5 Dor L'Dor, Arcola Social Hall, 7:45 PM
Sunday, March 20 Purim Extravaganza
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, March 2 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director