Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
February 22 – 23, 2019 – 18 Adar I 5779 – Parshas Ki Sisa
Light Candles by 5:35 – Havdalah 6:35
* Bertha & Jack Spiro on the marriage of their grandson, Meir, son of Tzippy (Spiro) & David Horovitz of Beit Shemesh, to Naava, daughter of Vered & Mark Goldfarb of Yerushalayim.
* Lynn & Aron Trombka on the engagement of their daughter, Sara, to Dov Fink of Teaneck, NJ.
* Kitty Wertheimer on the engagement of her grandson, Jeremy DuBois, son of Nancy & Jeffrey DuBois of Tucson, AZ, to Hilary Bokoff, daughter of Allison Glickman and Marc Bokoff of Connecticut, and to their siblings, Natalie and Avi DuBois and Bill Bokoff. Hilary and Jeremy are both from Boston.
* Toni Sandberg on the passing of her brother, Sam Reich. The funeral took place in Florida. Shiva is being observed at 911 Annmore Drive through Tuesday morning. Visitors are requested only from 10:00 AM – 12 noon, 1:00 PM – 5:00 PM and 7:00 PM – 9:00 PM.
* Light Candles by 5:35
Ashkenazi: 5:35 Sephardi: 5:30 Nusach Sefard: 5:35
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:30 Sephardi: 5:15 Nusach Sefard: 5:30
* Shabbos Ends: 6:35
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00, 9:15 Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* Sephardi Minyan – Violet Battat & Shlomo Bolts in honor of Reuven's 2nd Birthday
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* 9:15 Minyan – jointly sponsored by Cal Shere in honor of his quadranscentennial birthday, and in honor of this very hospitable community and by Suri & Eric Kinzbrunner, and by grandparents Dr. Leonard & Ellen Hoenig and Rabbi Dr. Barry & Anita Kinzbrunner in honor of the birth of their daughter/ granddaughter Devorah Nesyah ("Nessie"). Mazal Tov to the entire family! Thank you to Lucas Druskin, Simi Franco, Cal Shere, and the 9:15 Minyan for enabling us to honor our daughter with a beautiful Kiddush.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, after Hashkamah Minyan, lower lobby
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur 9:00 AM, behind the balcony.
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 4:45 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual selfimprovement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the balcony.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for men & women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesdays at 7:30 PM. For more details, contact email@example.com
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM, in the Large Social Hall. Choose from classes:
* On the Same Page with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Sage Wisdom with Rabbi Moshe Sadwin
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for men & women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sundays at 8:00 PM in the Social Hall.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, firstname.lastname@example.org, 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Shaps – On The Same Page
* Tuesdays: Rabbi Winter – Torah Topics
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Grossman – Reading Responsa
* Thursdays: Rabbi Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah
* Tuesdays & Wednesdays: Shivti led by Rabbi Sussman. Rabbi Grossman will be presenting weekly lectures on the weekly topic.
* For Women:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Tehillim: An in-depth analysis, will resume March 4.
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM-7:25 AM & Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the room behind the Balcony.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men & women, Tuesdays 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women: 613? Appreciating Every One of Them! Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Kesubos, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM in the Social Hall.
YISE Programs and Listings
We welcome new members who were voted in at the last Board meeting: Chelsea & Shlomo Fantl, Sara & Rabbi Ariel Levi and Loren & Itzhak Yosef
Dor L'Dor – The final Dor L'Dor of the season will take place on Motzei Shabbos, March 2, at 7:50 PM in the YISE Social Hall! For more information, please contact Michael Shimoff at email@example.com
Infant & Child CPR Class – Sunday, March 3, 12 noon, at YISE. This is a full certification class administered by a trainer from NOVA Cert, LLC. If there is enough interest from teenagers, there will be a concurrent babysitting preparation class, including CPR certification & special training for new babysitters. This class will be infant & child CPR only – no adult CPR will be taught. The (subsidized) cost for the class will be $35 per person. Payment may be made by cash, credit card, check, or PayPal. Estimated class time is three hours (slightly longer for the babysitting preparation class). If interested, please sign up in advance by emailing LCypess@gmail.com Please specify if you are interested in babysitting preparation.
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish History on Monday, March 4, from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM at 1111 University Blvd. W. in the Penthouse. Light refreshments will be served. For more info, contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Scholars-in-Residence – The YISE Community Adult Education Project welcomes Rabbi Avraham & Dr. Adina Shmidman, March 8 – 9. See flyer for details and complete schedule.
Generation to Generation – Greater Washington Community Kollel presents a morning of learning and growth exploring the multifaceted relationship of parents and children. Sunday, March 10, 9:30 AM – 1:30 PM. See flyer for details.
Breath Brake Seminar – Learn How to Live Longer & Better – with Rabbi Elimelech Goldberg, Wednesday, March 13, 8:30 PM at Ohr HaTorah. Free and open to the community. RSVP is recommended as space is limited. To RSVP call 202-331-4481 or email email@example.com Organized by Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and YISE. Co-sponsored by KMS, SSJC, Ohr HaTorah, SEHC and Chabad of Silver Spring.
Dispelling Myths Regarding Autism – Sunday, March 24, 10:30 AM – 12 Noon, in the YISE Small Social Hall. See flyer for details. Shomrai Preschool Parent Teacher Organization invites the community to a lecture given by Rabbi Rosenbaum: "Perspectives on Raising a Jewish Child: Pitfalls and Challenges of Everyday Living", Sunday, March 24, 8:00 PM in the Small Social Hall. Open to the entire community. If you have questions, contact Moshe Kaplan at firstname.lastname@example.org
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program is a service to help members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help. By signing up, you are not committing to help with anything specific. To be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Beis Medrash, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups:
2-5 year-olds 9:30 AM – end of 8:45 minyan in the youth room behind the Balcony.
1st-4th grade 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM at the Yeshiva. Walking group leaves at 10:00 AM. Girls meet in the main lobby. Boys meet outside the Social Hall. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Purim Carnival – Sunday, March 17, 10:00 AM – 12 Noon at KMS. See flyer for details.
Community Programs and Listings
Rabbi Marvin Goldman's Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, February 23, at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 516, at 4:00 PM
Taharat Hamishpacha Life Hacks and a meet-and-greet with Yoetzet Halacha, Bracha Rutner. This Shabbos, February 23, 4:00 PM in Classroom C at KMS. Small children are welcome. For questions or more information please contact: email@example.com
Tzurba M'Rabanan – New text-based learning group for women starting this week! Join Rose Litwack and Suri Kinzbrunner, as we follow this new program which traces selected topics in Halacha from Talmudic source to modern day poskim. Shabbos, February 23, 4:30 PM at the home of Rose Litwack, 11302 Monticello Ave. Copies of the text will be available.
YGW Girls Division Annual Production for Women & Girls – "The Adopted Princess" – Sunday, February 24, doors open 12:30 PM, show begins 1:00 PM. Monday, February 25, doors open 6:30 PM, show begins 7:00 PM. Berman Hebrew Academy, 13300 Arctic Avenue, Rockville, MD Pizza, drinks, and "nosh" will be available for sale during intermission. Advance ticket sales, ads for the Playbill, and Performance DVDs at www.yeshiva.edu Order NOW! For more information- firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-962-5111 ext. 1407
Inaugural Bonei Olam event in the Greater Washington area – Bonei Olam is a wonderful organization that provides financial assistance and guidance to couples struggling with infertility. The evening's speakers will be Dr. Levy, cofounder of Shady Grove Fertility, and a woman who benefited from Bonei Olam's assistance who will share her personal journey. No cost to attend. Join us this Sunday, February 24, 7:00 PM at Kemp Mill Synagogue. Appetizers, refreshments, and desserts will be served (meat and pareve). To RSVP: https://www.boneiolam.org/rsvp_greaterwash
Free Job-Related Webinars – Monday, February 25. Emotional Intelligence at Work: Your Key to Career Success, 7:00 PM – 7:45 PM; LinkedIn 101, 8:15 PM – 9:00 PM. For more information and to register, go to www.FederalJobResults.com/events
Post High School Girls Shiur – Tuesday nights, 8:30 PM at the Pepper home, 1101 North Belgrade Road. On February 26, the Shiur will be given by Rabbi Pepper.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, February 27, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator & leader. Contact Debbie Katz at email@example.com for more info.
Mike Stern: True Tales from One of Our Own – Join AMIT and Mike Stern, former Supervisory Special Agent with the FBI, as he talks about his experiences both at home and while in service in Israel. March 2, 7:30 PM. $18 per person, sponsorship opportunities available. Call 410-484-2223 or visit www.amitchildren.org/midatlantic to register for this exciting event. Refreshments will be served.
Tzniut is Cute Fashion Show – Please join the Berman Class of 2019 on March 3 at 10:00 AM at KMS for the third annual Tzniut is Cute student-run fashion show that empowers women to be confident in themselves while dressing modestly. Following the fashion show, the attendees are invited to purchase the clothing that was seen on the models. This year's Tzniut is Cute is hoping to attract not only teenagers and their mothers but also young girls as well. Purchase tickets early at http://bit.ly/tzniutiscute for a reduced price of $8 per student and $10 per adult! Tickets are $12 at the door. We hope to see you there!
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Nazir. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more info, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos at 10:30 AM.
Learn Mishnah Brurah Hilchos Shabbos in 18 Months – Shiur for men with Rabbi Eli Reingold. Monday through Thursday, 8:00 – 8:45 PM at the Boys Yeshiva. Questions? Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
Kemp Mill Village volunteers are now offering services to Village members, including rides for appointments, shopping, and visits to friends and family, help with household tasks, and prescription deliveries. Call the toll free number 1-833-KMV-20902 to request member services or to volunteer.
The Value of Modesty – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for women, based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM, 609 Hyde Rd. Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: gemachexchange.com
Support Group for Women Who Are Caregivers – The Golden Network is forming a new support group for women that are caregivers .This group is geared towards Jewish women whose spouses are living at home or are in a medical facility and are affected by a chronic illness or suffer from a cognitive condition. If you are interested in joining this group please contact: Rabbi Shmuel Leigh at 301-732-1773 or firstname.lastname@example.org, Mrs. Hedy Peyser, MSW, email@example.com or Mrs. Esther Dziadek firstname.lastname@example.org
The Week Ahead
Sunday February 24 Monday February 25 Tuesday February 26 Wednesday February 27 Thursday February 28 Friday February 29
Ashkenazi 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15 7:15
Ashkenazi 5:45 5:45 / 7:30 5:45 / 7:30 5:45 / 7:30 5:45 / 7:30 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 5:40 5:40 5:40 5:40 5:40
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 5:56 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:30 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:52 PM
March 1 – 2, 2019 – 25 Adar I 5779
Parshas Vayakhel/Shekalim/Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 5:42 – Havdalah 6:42
* Light Candles by 5:42
Ashkenazi: 5:45 Sephardi: 5:40 Nusach Sefard: 5:45
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:40 Sephardi: 5:25 Nusach Sefard: 5:40
* Maariv/Havdalah: 6:42
Motzei Shabbos, March 2 Dor L'Dor, 7:50 PM, Social Hall
Monday, March 4 The Man With The Truck, 6:30 PM – 9:30 PM
Shabbos, March 8 & 9 Scholar-In-Residence – Rabbi Avraham & Dr. Adina Shmidman
Sunday, March 10 Generation to Generation, 9:30 AM
Wednesday, March 13 Breath Brake Seminar, 8:30 PM at Ohr HaTorah
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline:Wednesday, February 27 at 12:00 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager