Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
February 14-15, 2014 – 15 Adar 1 5774 – Parshas Ki Sisa – Shushan Purim Katan
Light Candles by 5:26 – Havdalah 6:26
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by friends of Beverly Brinn in commemoration of her Shloshim.
Jorden thanks the community for the support given to Beverly during her illness and for comforting the family after her passing.
* Light Candles by 5:26
* Mincha 5:30, 5:25 (Sephardi)
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 5:10 (Sephardi), 5:25 (Arcola and Univ.)
* Maariv/Havdalah 6:26
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* 8:00 Minyan – The Herzfeld family in honor of Nathaniel's Aufruf.
* 8:45 Main Minyan – Rene & Rami Isser in honor of Yonatan's Aufruf.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 4:25 PM.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 4:25 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Silver – Shiur after Mincha at University.
* Rosanne & Howard Benn on the birth of a grandson to their children, Efrat (Alicia) Benn & Nachum Lamm of Jerusalem.
* Nathaniel Herzfeld on his upcoming marriage to Shira Stoler.
* Rene & Rami Isser on the Aufruf of their son Yonatan. Mazal Tov also to Yonatan's brothers David, Ariel and Eitan Isser.
* Arleeta & Rabbi Ivan Lerner on the birth of a grandson, born to Devoiry & Rabbi Ezra Lerner of Sanhedria Murchevet. Mazal Tov also to grandparents Dina & Rabbi Aharon Rosenbaum of Brooklyn, and to great-grandma, Dena Lerner Gerber of Baltimore.
* Karen Franco and family on the passing of her mother, Patricia Sporn. The funeral and Shiva were held in Richmond, Virginia.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver's Halacha Shiur for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM, in the Social Hall, part of the Beis Medrash Zichron Gedaliah Program, is currently studying the Halachos of Tefillah.
* Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or firstname.lastname@example.org
* Beis Medrash Zichron Gedaliah for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall. A special mini-series will conclude on February 18 by Rabbi Akiva Leiman: Pass it on – The origins and transmission of the Torah based on the Rambam's introduction to Perush Hamishnayos.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:30 PM at University.
* Greater Washington Community Kollel:
* Linas Hatzedek – Business Ethics – Continuing the new topic "Professional Malpractice" – Sunday mornings at 9:30 AM.
* Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency. Thursdays, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM.
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
DUE TO THE INCLEMENT WEATHER, GROUPS WILL NOT MEET THIS WEEK.
YISE Programs and Listings
Dor L'Dor – Family Chevrusah-style learning in a fun environment! This Motzei Shabbos, February 15, 7:45 PM in the Arcola Social Hall. This week is sponsored by the Lesnoy and Grauman families. Open to the entire community! Delicious pizza! Interactive discussions! Raffle of exciting prizes! Lots of fun! (The last session of the season will be March 1.)
YISE Together-for-5 – Continues with a series of audio Shiurim by Rabbi Rosenbaum about the "Laws of Washing Before Bread." For more info, visit www.yise.org/together-for-5
NEXT WEEK: February 21-22 – Scholar-in-Residence – Rabbi Menachem Nissel, Rabbinic Resource, NCSY; Rav, Multiple Israeli Yeshivot and Seminaries; Author, Rigshei Lev: Women and Tefilah; Senior Lecturer, Ner Le'Elef – World Center for Jewish Leadership Training and Community Outreach.
* Friday at 8:30 PM: Abraham: Shacharis – Unanswered Prayers
* After 8:45 AM Shacharis Minyan (Kiddush follows): Yitzchak: Mincha – Digging Wells in Our Souls
* Between Mincha and Maariv: Yaakov: Maariv – Faith in Darkness
"Peace in the Home" 3-Part Community-Wide Lecture Series – The GWCK, in conjunction with SEHC, YISE, and WSAT, invites the community to the the first lecture in the series, "Making a Good Marriage Great," presented by Rabbi Shraga Neuberger at SEHC, Wednesday February 26, at 8:00 PM. Open to men and women. Admission is free.
Overcoming the "Baby Blues" Cartoon Model: Instilling Accountability and Responsibility in our Children – Rabbi Yitzchok Charner, Headmaster of Torah School of Greater Washington, will be the next speaker in an exciting parenting lecture series sponsored by the YISE Youth Committee. Sunday March 9, 8:00 PM, YISE Social Hall. Free admission.
The Fourth Annual Siyum Tanach in Memory of Rav Anemer ZT"L will be held at a Shalosh Seudos on Shabbos, April 26, Parshas Kedoshim. To register for a particular section visit www.yise.org/siyum or contact Bob Levi at 301-593-2399. Save the Date – Blood drive in the YISE Social Hall on March 30.
Camp Shomrai 2014 Registration is now OPEN – June 23 through August 8. Our Torah-based, safe, nurturing, summer camp only for preschool aged children is known for its excellent staff, its profound commitment to safety, and a creative and joyous attitude toward learning and discovery. For ages 2 through 5. For inquiries contact 301-593-7365 or email@example.com
YISE Nursery Registration for 2014-2015 is now OPEN – Our Torah-based preschool program is open from 7:30 AM until 6:00 PM. Program lengths vary according to parents' and children's needs. Tours of the school are by appointment only. For inquiries contact 301-593-7365 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Lost and Found: A dark grey overcoat, with 1 black glove & 1 grey glove in the pockets, was taken last Shabbos. Please call the Shul office if you have it.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill – YISE's Chesed Committee has a program to help members undergoing serious medical crises. We have an immediate need for volunteers to cook meals for the Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill. If you or someone you know needs help with meals, carpools, childcare, etc., or to volunteer, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org or pick up a form in the lobby.
Job Assist Events:
* Improve Your Business Web Page – Learn how to use Facebook ads, sponsored stories, and boosted posts. Wednesday, February 19, 7:00 PM – 8:30 PM. Free. Online. Info and register at www.oujobs.org
* Use Email to Land a Job or Increase Your Business – Free workshop. Monday, February 24, 7:30 PM – 9:00 PM, KMS. To hear Ronnie Baras explain why you should attend, go to http://bit.ly/jobassistworkshopFeb2014 To reserve a seat, please email DMarwick@JobAssist.org
YISE Communication – We want to keep you informed all week long. If you have not been receiving the Shabbos Shorts and latest updates (cyberbriefs) by email, please go to the Shul website at www.yise.org and click on "Contact," then select "sign-up form." Or you can "like" us on Facebook and get all the latest YISE news that way.
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the YGW Beis Medrash – Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, Shabbos after the 8 AM Minyan, and Sunday at 6:30 AM.
Shloshim Gathering in memory of long-time YISE member Mr. Bayer "Bud" Silver, a"h, husband of Vivian Silver, at 2:00 PM on Sunday afternoon, February 16, at Woodside Synagogue.
Mazal Tov – Raphael Covel, son of former YISE members Leah Covel and James Covel, has completed his advanced combat training with Gadsar battalion of the Golani Brigade.
Tehillim – Wednesday mornings. Contact Arleeta Lerner for details 301-649-0552.
Blue Star Restaurant came under Vaad Hashgachah and opened its doors to business last week. Located in Rockville where the old Siena's Restaurant used to be at 11417 Woodglen Drive, 301-881-6800.
Gambling in Halachah – The Federal Holiday Learning Program for Men with Rabbi Eli Reingold presented by the Kollel Zichron Amram of YGW. Monday, February 17. Chavrusa at 9:00 AM; Shiur at 10:00 AM at the YGW Boys Campus. For more information please contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Empowered Parenting – Being the Parent You Were Born to Be – Effective Strategies to Strengthen the Parent-Child Relationship. Sulam is proud to present Dr. Abram Sterne, noted psychologist and adolescent development expert. Sponsored by Sulam in recognition that February is Jewish Disability Awareness Month. Wednesday, February 18, at MJBHA at 7:45 PM. Free admission.
* Volunteer Training – Enhancing your understanding and performance of the Mitzvah of Bikur Cholim. Featuring Rabbi Yosef Singer, Rabbi of Young Israel of Potomac, and Audrey Siegel, Executive Director of BCGW. Sunday, February 16, 9:30 AM – 11:30 AM at Young Israel of Potomac. Light refreshments. No charge but RSVP requested email@example.com or 202-331-4481.
* BCGW CPR course in Kemp Mill on Sunday, February 23, 12:30 PM – 3:30 PM. Cost $75.00.
* BCGW Mitzvah Clown Training with Areyvut trainers. Sunday, March 2 at the Hebrew Home 10:30 AM – 2:30 PM. For more information, cost and to rsvp go to www.bikurcholimgw.org
TSGW 11th Annual Chinese Auction – Sunday, February 23, 7:00 PM, Beth Sholom Congregation. Prize drawings begin at 8:30 PM. Admission: $25 per person. To reserve your entrance ticket in advance, contact 301-962-8003 ext. 2300 or firstname.lastname@example.org Order tickets online at www.tsgwauction.com
Purim Particulars – YISE and Beyond
Kimu V'Kiblu – Purim, Klal Yisroel and Torah – HaRav Asher Weiss. Sunday, March 2, 8:30 PM at YISE. For Men and Women. Rav Asher Weiss shlita is among the most renowned and respected Halachic authorities of today.
AMIT is selling beautiful Purim cards for only $2.50 each. Contact either: Esther Edeson at 301-593-1468, Rachel Pinchot at 301-754-3773, or Rosalyn Bramson at 301-649-4276.
BCGW Purim Cards for sale $2.50 each. To order call 202-331-4481 or email@example.com
The Week Ahead
Sunday, February 16 Monday, Feb. 17 – Presidents' Day Tuesday, February 18 Wednesday, February 19 Thursday, February 20 Friday, February 21
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 * 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
University 8:00 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Sephardi 7:30 7:30 6:15 6:15 6:05 6:15
Arcola 5:35 5:35 5:35 5:35 5:35 See Shabbos schedule
University N/A 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv) 7:15 (Maariv)
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 6:06 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:36 AM, Earliest Mincha: 12:53 PM
* On Monday, the first Ashkenazi Minyan will take place in the Beis Medrash and the other Ashkenazi Minyanim will take place in the Belonofsky Sanctuary.
February 21-22, 2014 – 22 Adar 1 5774
Light Candles by 5:34 – Havdalah 6:34
* Light Candles by 5:34
* Mincha 5:35, 5:30 (Sephardi)
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 5:15 (Sephardi), 5:30 (Arcola and Univ.)
* Maariv/Havdalah 6:34
Shabbos February 15 Aufruf of Yonatan Isser
Shabbos February 15 Aufruf of Nathaniel Herzfeld
Motzei Shabbos, Feb. 15 Dor L'Dor, 7:45 PM
Sunday, February 16 YISE Annual Banquet, 6:00 PM
Wednesday, February 19 Senior Lunch, Arcola Social Hall, 12 Noon
Shabbos, February 21-22 Scholar-in-Residence: Rabbi Nissel
Motzei Shabbos, March 1 FINAL Dor L'Dor of the season, 7:45 PM
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, February 19, at 12 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Closed Monday, Tuesday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM,
Friday 9:00 AM-1:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Dr. Marc Katz – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Alan Zimmerman – Executive Director