Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
September 5-6, 2014 – 11 Elul 5774 – Parshas Ki Seitzei
Light Candles by 7:14 (and not before 6:13) – Havdalah 8:12
* Light Candles by 7:14, and not before 6:13
Arcola: 6:30 (Social Hall), 7:15 University: 7:15
Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30
Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 7:10 University: 7:10
Sephardi: 6:55 Nusach Sefard: 7:10
* Maariv/Havdalah: 8:12
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – The Katz family in honor of Rivka's Bat Mitzvah.
* 8:45 Main Minyan – Community Kiddush Honoring Morah Debby Greengart
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 6:10 PM.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 6:25 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur at 6:40 PM.
* Rabbi Silver – Shiur after Mincha at University.
* Rabbi Zvi Friedman – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
Rabbi Friedman is the Executive Director of the Jewel Program (Aish Hatorah).
* Rosanne & Howard Benn on the birth of a granddaughter, Ruchama. to their children, Miriam (Michelle) & Rabbi Dovid Lipman of Beitar Illit, Israel.
* Rene & Rami Isser on the marriage of their son David to Pola. Mazal Tov also to David's siblings Yonatan & Esther, Ariel & Eitan.
* Aliza & Manasseh Katz on their daughter Rivka's Bat Mitzvah. Mazal Tov also to grandfather Howard Katz, grandfather Leroy Gerson, grandmother Linda Rothman, Rivka's siblings Esther and Moshe, and all of the aunts, uncles, and cousins.
* Debbie and Marc Katz on the birth of a grandson, Michoel Leib, to their children, Nechama & Ezra Katz of Baltimore. Mazal Tov to the grandparents Janet & Rabbi Moshe Berlove of Cincinnati, to great-grandfather Dr.Werner Cohen and to the proud aunt, uncles, and cousins.
* Mitra & Moshe Khaldar on the passing of their son, Avraham. The funeral took place on Tuesday. Shiva will be observed at the Khaldar home, 11305 Monticello Ave., through Monday morning. The Minyan schedule is as follows: Mincha/Maariv: Sunday: 7:10. Selichot followed by Shacharit: Sunday: 6:45, Monday: 5:20.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Haftoros Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash – will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver's Halacha Shiur for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM, in the Social Hall, part of the Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah. This week we will be discussing "Selichos in Preparation for Rosh Hashana."
* Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or email@example.com
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah – 8:00 PM; Maariv to follow. Shiurim options:
* Developing Your "Gemara Kop," Thinking through Maseches Sukkah – R' Nachum Schwartz
* Becoming an Inspired Eved Hashem (Based on the Alei Shur by R' Shlomo Wolbe) – Rabbi Yitzchak Scher
* Iyunim L'Halacha on Chodesh Elul – An in-depth analysis from the sources of pertinent Halacha topics – R' Moshe Chaim Blate
Join us for the open Beis Medrash or we can help you set up a Chavrusa in any topic. Located in the YISE Social Hall.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM at University.
* GWCK Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency, Thursdays at 8:00 PM.
YISE Programs and Listings
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on topics in Jewish History on Monday, September 8, from 1:30 PM – 2:30 PM at 1111 University Blvd. W., apt. 215. Light refreshments will be served. For information, please contact Miriam Friedman 301-754-1517 or firstname.lastname@example.org
What do we Know about Tekhelet – The rare blue dye the Torah speaks of for Tzitzit and the clothes of the Kohen Gadol? Hear Rabbi Dr. Barry Freundel speak about the Halachic, historical and scientific aspects of Tekhelet, see a live dyeing demonstration, and join in a Q&A via Skype from Israel with Dr. Baruch Sterman, co-founder of the Ptil Tekhelet Foundation. Sunday, September 14, 7:30 PM, YISE Social Hall. Salads and desserts served. Free and open to all. Sponsored by the Rosenthal family in memory of Arlene & Leonard Rosenthal, Z"L.
Halacha Shiur for Women – Rabbi Rosenbaum will continue his monthly women's Halacha Shiur. The next one will be Sunday, September 21 at 8:30 PM at the home of Masha Schore, 911 South Belgrade Road. The topic will be "Food Preparation over a Three Day Yom Tov."
GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch & Learn for Men – Start your week off the right way with your choice of classes being offered at YISE on Sunday mornings! Join us for bagel brunch at 9:30 AM, followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM. Shiurim options:
* Timeless Talmud – Rabbi Menachem Winter – Of Peels and Pits
* Parsha Discourses – Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman. Parshas Ki Savo: Hasagas Gevul – Illegitimate Business Competition
* Unraveling the Navi – Rabbi Zecharia Schwartz – The Oath of the Spies
* Before We Begin – Rabbi Yonatan Zakem – What makes an Ikar?
High Holiday Preparations:
* The High Holiday seating form is now available at www.yise.org/seats It is also important that your financial obligations be paid up; seats cannot be reserved if there are outstanding obligations.
* As in past years, we anticipate a wonderful night of celebration on Simchat Torah. Please consider making a donation of $18, $36, or more to the YISE Simchat Torah Evening Celebration and food festivities. We would greatly appreciate your help in making this a night to remember! Please send your checks to the Shul office or pay on the Shul website with the notation "Youth Simchat Torah." Contact email@example.com for more information.
* Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur babysitting is completely full.
YISE Youth Announcements
THE YOUTH MINYAN WILL RESUME THIS SHABBOS AT 9:15 AM SHARP.
FULL GROUPS RESUME THIS WEEK: Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
If you're a boy in 10th grade or higher and want to learn about really exciting topics, then come join Rabbi Rosenbaum's shiur on late Shabbas afternoons! It's held an hour before the late Mincha at the YISE Social Hall and it's always very interesting. We are now starting the last perek of Sanhedrin (Chelek) which discusses who has a share in Olam Haba. For more information please contact Matan Friedman (11th Grade, MJBHA).
Please join the YISE Youth Department for a fun day out at Butler's Orchard on Sunday, September 7, from 9:30 AM – 12:00 noon. People will have the opportunity to pick apples, bring a picnic lunch, and kids will be able to participate in a Shofar blowing contest (bring your own Shofar). For more information or to RSVP, please contact Brett Kugler at firstname.lastname@example.org
The YISE Youth Sukkah Hop is coming up! If you are interested in volunteering your sukkah as one of the stops, please contact Brett Kugler at email@example.com
YISE Membership Drive
The Shul is looking to expand its membership. If you are not a member, but interested in becoming one, there are incentive options available! For more information please contact Michael Shimoff at firstname.lastname@example.org
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before regular Mincha, and Sunday at 6:30 AM.
Women's Discussion Group – Shabbos afternoons, 5:30 PM at the home of Mrs. Klavan, 1006 Lamberton Drive, reading "Getting to Know Your Soul" by Rabbi Ittamar Schwartz, author of Bilvavi Mishkan Evneh.
Tehillim – Wednesday mornings. Contact Arleeta Lerner for details 301-649-0552.
Pirchei is coming! Calling all boys, first through sixth grade! Pirchei is starting up this week in the classrooms at the Yeshiva, 4:00 PM – 4:55 PM. See you there! To join our email list, contact Ranon Cortell or Pinchas Werner at email@example.com
Family Torah Celebration Day – Hachnasas Sefer Torah, followed by fun-filled family activities! Sunday, September 7, YGW-Tiferes Gedaliah Boys' Campus, 11:30 AM Hachnasas Sefer Torah; 12:30 PM Lunch, Activities, Shiurim, Music and more! For more information visit www.yeshiva.edu
An Evening of Baking Secrets with Kosher Baker Paula Shoyer – Wednesday, September 10, 7:00 PM – 9:00 PM at the home of Dvora Sayag, 1013 South Belgrade Rd. $36 per person. Please RSVP to Dana at DanaMarlowe@Hotmail.com, 301-717-7177 or Dvora at Erknee9780@aol.com, 240-644-3266.
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, September 10, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE small Social Hall. Contact Scott Schlesinger at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
BCGW Pre-Rosh Hashanah Boutique – Sunday, September 14, at the home of the Fine Family, 607 Stonington Road. 11:00 AM – 4:00 PM. Featuring: hats, jewelry, serving accessories, shells and skirts, and Stevie from the Pampered Chef. Bakery items for sale and you can pre-order items at sunflowerbakery.org. Deadline to order is September 10. For more information please contact Rhonda Lehman at email@example.com
Essence of the Shofar – The Golden Network presents Rabbi Barry Greengart, Thursday, September 18, 9:00 AM, Shacharis at 8:00 AM. Woodside Synagogue – Ahavas Torah. For more information 301-338-4810 or firstname.lastname@example.org
The Mikvah Emunah Society is looking for volunteers to collect money and ensure decorum on Erev Rosh Hashanah and Erev Yom Kippur. We are looking for men to volunteer between 30 minutes to 1 hour, between 7:30 AM – 3:00 PM. Interested people should contact Craig Simon at email@example.com
Tekiah, Shvarim, Truah – Will you or someone you know not hear those sounds this Rosh Hashanah because you can't get to Shul? To arrange for a Shofar blower to visit you at home, in Kemp Mill, contact Aron Trombka at 301-681-3025 or ATrombka@verizon.net
Job Assist Events:
Project Management for Beginners – 4-part series begins September 22. Online. Info and register at www.oujobs.org
Career Gateway for 50+ Job Seekers – 5-part series begins September 15. Rockville. Info and register at www.accessjca.org
The Week Ahead
Sunday, September 7 Monday, September 8 Tuesday, September 9 Wednesday, September 10 Thursday, September 11 Friday, September 12
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
University 8:00 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Sephardi 7:30 6:05 6:15 6:15 6:05 6:15
Arcola 7:10 7:10 7:10 7:10 7:10 See Shabbos schedule
University N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 5:55 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:54 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:38 PM
September 12-13, 2014 – 18 Elul 5774
Parshas Ki Savo
Light Candles by 7:03 – Havdalah 8:00
* Light Candles by 7:03
Arcola: 7:05 University: 7:05
Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30
Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 7:00 University: 7:00
Sephardi: 6:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
* Maariv/Havdalah: 8:0
Shabbos September 6 Community Kiddush Honoring Morah Debby Greengart
Wednesday, September 10 YISE Board of Directors Meeting, 7:30pm
Tuesday, September 16 Elzee's, 11:00 AM to 8:30 PM, Arcola Social Hall
Friday, September 19 Ruach Minyan, 6:55, Arcola Social Hall
Wednesday, October 1 Annual Communal Rabbi Frand Teshuva Drasha at YISE, 8:00 PM.
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, September 10 at 12 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director