Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
September 16-17, 2016 – 14 Elul 5776 – Parshas Ki Seitzei
Light Candles by 6:56 – Havdalah 7:53
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Joey Franco – Mortgage Banker – 301-529-5387.
* Aviva & Morris Fischer on the Bar Mitzvah of their son, Shlomo Yitzchok. Mazal Tov to siblings Chaya, Zahava and Shimshone and grandparents, Leah Fischer and Dorothy Kendall and Steve Morris.
* Sahra & Yale Ginsburg on the engagement of their son Avi to Rachel Danis, daughter of Susu & Steve Danis of Hollywood, FL. Mazal Tov to grandparents Faith & Gil Ginsburg and Rochelle Dimont, to Uncle Rafi, and to siblings Devora & Elazar, Naftali and Daniel. AND . . . Mazal Tov to Aunt Masha & Uncle Seth Katz and cousins Yisrael, Hershel and Meir.
* Light Candles by 6:56
Arcola: 7:00 University: 7:00 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 6:55 University: 6:55 Sephardi: 6:35 Nusach Sefard: 6:55
* Maariv/Havdalah: 7:53
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 and 9:15 Minyanim Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* Sephardi Minyan – Avi Perez, Chaim Cohen & Yechiel Mizrachi in honor of the Green family returning to our community.
* 8:45 Main Minyan – Aviva & Morris Fischer in honor of Shlomo Yitzchok's Bar Mitzvah.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, behind the balcony.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 5:50 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 5:55 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur at 6:25 PM.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual selfimprovement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Social Hall. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the Balcony – will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evening at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM. Choose from classes:
* Timeless Talmud with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Before we Begin with Rabbi Yonatan Zakem
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network's Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-732-1773 or email@example.com
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 6:00 PM at University – special time this week.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – Beginning Monday, September 12, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Yonatan Zakem at firstname.lastname@example.org or 513-313-4899.
* Men (classes located in the YISE Beis Medrash):
* Monday: 613 with Rabbi Hillel Shaps.
* Tuesday: In The Beginning with Rabbi Zacharia Schwartz.
* Wednesday: Torah Topics with Rabbi Menachem Winter.
* Thursday: Yesodei Hatorah with Rabbi Avraham Sussman.
* Thursday: Inspired Avodah with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher, Kollel Zichron Amram and Rebbe, YGW
* Monday – Thursday: Shivti led by Rabbi Yonatan Zakem, under the guidance of Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman.
* Women (class located in the small Social Hall):
* Monday: Women Of Valor with Mrs. Sara Malka Winter.
YISE Programs and Listings
Welcome: We welcome Rivka & Rabbi Gedaliah Jaffe and members of Congregation Ahavas Yisrael from Edison, NJ who are spending Shabbos in our community. Sunday morning they will be participating in the Navy – Air Force 1/2 Marathon / Navy 5-Miler. Thank you to the members of our community who have hosted them for Shabbos.
YISE Annual Barbecue – Sunday, September 18, 3:00 PM – 6:00 PM at YGW Boys Campus (In case of rain, event will be held at YISE.) Free door prize to the first 30 families! Hamburgers, hot dogs and more! Moonbounce for little kids and obstacle moon bounce for older kids. Face painting. Fun for all ages! Adults: $10, Children 2-8: $5, Family Maximum: $45. To RSVP, please go to: www.yise.org/bbq If you have questions, contact email@example.com
Bone Marrow Registry – If you're between the ages of 18-44 and are not on the Gift of Life Bone Marrow Registry, please join us this Sunday at the YGW Boys Campus at the YISE Annual Barbecue to get your cheek swabbed to join the registry. We'll be outside from 3:00 PM – 6:00 PM.
High Holiday Planning:
* High Holiday Seat Requests should be sent in ASAP. Use the form that was sent in the mail a few weeks ago or download the fillable PDF from www.yise.org/seats Payment by check or call the Shul office (Simi at 301-593-4465 x403) with credit card information.
* RH and YK Babysitting at YISE is now full.
* RH and YK "Older Kid" Babysitting – A number of parents are organizing babysitting for ages 6-9 during YISE High Holiday services. The babysitting will be at the Shimoff home starting at 10:00 AM until after Musaf. Cost will be $10/day (this program is being done at cost). Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if interested.
* Lulavim and Esrogim – YISE is working this year with Josh Breitstein to bring you the finest quality Arba Minim sets and a selection of decorations for your Sukkah. Josh has over 40 years of experience and is committed to the best in quality and customer service. Complete details and order form at: www.yise.org/lulav
* The YISE Youth Sukkah Hop is coming up! If you are interested in volunteering your Sukkah as one of the stops, please contact Brett Kugler at email@example.com
SAVE THE DATE: Ruach Minyan – Friday, September 23, at 6:45 in the Arcola Social Hall. While there is no formal program for children, Daveners of all ages are welcome to bring in Shabbos with us. We welcome MEOR who will add some Ruach and explanation during the Davening. So bring the kids and tell your friends. It's going to be Gevaldic!
In a Selichos Frame of Mind – Join Rabbi Rosenbaum, Rabbi Burnham and Baal Tefilah Marty Jacobs on Motzei Shabbos, September 24, from 11:30 PM to 12:45 AM. in the social hall for this pre-Selichos program. Hear inspirational words, hear the haunting melodies, and partake in community singing (and refreshments) prior to the service. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions. Sponsors welcome. Part of the YISE Meaningful Tefilah Project.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill – YISE's Chesed Committee has a program to help members undergoing serious medical crises. If you or someone you know needs help with meals, carpools, childcare, etc., or to volunteer, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org If you are unable to cook a meal or help out, but would like to make a donation to Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill, please contact Simi Franco in the office.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Cheryl Stern Community Keilim Mikvah is Now Open
Dedicate a brick in the path to the Keilim Mikvah at YISE. Your engraved brick will be placed on the sidewalk in front of the Mikvah.
Brick: 4" x 8" brick paver on the Keilim Mikvah path. Lines: 3, Characters per line: 20, Cost: $ 180.00 each
Double Brick: 8" x 8" brick paver on the Keilim Mikvah path. Lines: 6, Characters per line: 20. Cost: $ 500.00 each
Donations are 100% tax deductible. For more details visit: www.yise.org/brick
YISE Membership Drive
The Shul is looking to expand its membership. If you are not a member, but are interested in becoming one, there are incentive options available! For more information please contact Michael Shimoff at email@example.com
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp.
Parsha Shenanigans – Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Early care for 2-5 year-olds runs from 9:30-10:00. Groups for all ages run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
The Youth Committee is looking for new group leaders for next year (girls and boys). Time can be counted as Chesed hours. There are special activities for leaders as appreciation. Please contact Sarah at firstname.lastname@example.org
YISE Youth Pre-Rosh Hashana Apple Picking – Join YISE Youth for apple picking and a Shofar blowing contest. Sunday, September 18, 10:00 AM – 12:00 noon, at Butlers Orchard, 22222 Davis Mill Road, Germantown, MD 20876. $3 per person for entry and pay for what you pick. Bring your family out for fun in the sun picking delicious apples for Rosh Hashana. Children are encouraged to bring a Shofar from home for a Shofar blowing contest. Feel free to bring a picnic lunch as well as there is a small playground for children to enjoy on the premises. Please RSVP if you plan on attending to email@example.com
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before regular Mincha.
Dirshu Daf Yomi B'Halacha on Hilchos Krias HaTorah, learn Mishna Brurah with Rabbi Eli Reingold, Monday – Thursday, 8:00 PM – 8:40 PM at the Boys Yeshiva. For information contact him at 301-996-5910 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Kesuvos. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more information, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Kemp Mill Pirchei – For boys, first through sixth grade in the Yeshiva classrooms, Shabbos afternoons, 4:00 PM – 4:55 PM. If you're interested in sponsoring, please contact, email@example.com
Parsha Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, September 17, at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 906, at 5:00 PM.
Not A Minor Issue: A Child's Obligation to Halacha – Semi-Annual Yom Iyun for Men with the Kollel Zichron Amram of YGW-Tiferes Gedaliah. Sunday, September 18. Foxman Bais Medrash, Boys Campus. Schedule: 8:00 AM Davening, 8:45 AM community breakfast, 9:30 AM Hakdamah – an introduction to the learning by Rabbi Eli Reingold, Rosh Kollel, 9:45 AM Learning Seder with opportunities to learn the source material in Chavrusas with the Rabbis and alumni of the Kollel as well as Rabbanim from the Shuls in the Greater Washington area. 11:50 AM Shiur by Rabbi Eli Reingold, Rosh Kollel, 12:35 PM Closing remarks by Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky, Rosh HaYeshiva. 12:45 PM program ends. To RSVP or for more information: contact Rabbi Moshe Haim Blate at 404-273-3392 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Bnei Akiva invites 7th and 8th graders to a Za"ch event on Sunday, September 18, 10:00 AM – 12:00 noon. Kids should meet at the bottom of Lamberton Drive near the Northwest Branch park for a hike.
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, September 21, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at email@example.com for more information.
A Pre-Rosh Hashanah Community-Wide Sunday Morning Learning Program – Presented by Yeshiva University's Center for the Jewish Future in conjunction with DC Torah. Sunday, September 25 at KMS. Schedule: 9:00 AM Davening with Dvar Torah for High School teens with Rabbi Feldman, 9:45 AM light refreshments, 10:00 AM Opening remarks by Rabbi Brahm Weinberg, Chavruta Learning and keynote Shiur on Doing Teshuvah for Lashon Hara by Rabbi Daniel Z. Feldman, Rosh Yeshiva, RIETS. Open to men and women. For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org
The Beacon's Free 50+Expo in Northern Virginia. – For those who missed the Beacon's 50+Expo in Silver Spring, a repeat performance will take place on Sunday, September 25 from 12:00 noon – 4:00 PM at Springfield Town Center in Springfield, VA. Enjoy more than 50 government, nonprofit and business exhibitors, health screenings, flu shots (free with Medicare card), a celebrity speaker, live entertainment, giveaways and door prizes. For more info or to volunteer, call 301-949-9766.
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington's First Annual Bike-a-thon – Sunday, September 25, from 1:00 PM – 5:00 PM. The 38-mile ride will be along the C&O canal, with a barbecue at the finish line at Carderock. For ages 10 and up. $36 registration fee. To sign up or for more information, visit bikurcholimgw.org or email@example.com
Get Real: Grappling with the Reality of Rosh Hashana – Mesorah Women's Learning Insitutue presents a Women's Pre- Rosh Hashana Shiur with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher. Monday, September 26, 8:00 PM, at the home of Mrs. Helene Goodman, 10711 Stoneyhill Drive. Please contact Sorah Rivkah Goodman, firstname.lastname@example.org , for details.
Elul: Days of Preparation – Video presentation for women featuring Rabbanit Yemima Mizrachi, presented by Nshei Ohr HaTorah. Sunday, September 25 at 8:15 PM at the SSJC; and Tuesday, September 27 at 8:00 PM at Woodside Synagogue Ahavas Torah. Cost $5.
Yom Tov Appeal Sustains Community Safety Net – The Franco Foundation needs your tax-deductible donations to meet increasing Yom Tov aid requests. The Foundation helps with essentials, like rent, mortgage, and utilities; mail to Allan Franco, 613 Bromley Street, or through Paypal with email@example.com
Tekiah, Shvarim, Truah – Will you or someone you know not hear those sounds this Rosh Hashanah because you can't get to Shul? To arrange for a Shofar blower to visit you at home, in Kemp Mill, contact Joel Bauman at: 301-704-6830, or JBaumanBuy@gmail.com
Mayan Hakesef Loan Foundation is a local 501 (3) c organization founded and active right here in Kemp Mill. Your tax deductible donation will go very far. Sponsor an interest free loan for $2,500 or $5,000. Your donation will be used over and over again for years to come. Nearly all funds have been lent out so your donation will be next in line for use. For questions/inquiries please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Capital Kosher Pantry Food Drive – The Capital Kosher Pantry of Yad Yehuda is launching a pre-holiday food drive to support those in our community who struggle to afford to feed their families, especially during this particularly financially challenging time, as well as throughout the year. Everyone is encouraged to assist the CKP in this cause by dropping off kosher, non-perishable food items in factory sealed containers in the collection box in the YISE lower lobby, helping the dozens of local families who benefit from this service. For more information, please consult the flier and the CKP wish list which are hanging on the bulletin boards. Thank you for your participation in this worthy and necessary endeavor.
The Week Ahead
Sunday, September 18 Monday, September 19 Tuesday, September 20 Wednesday, September 21 Thursday, September 22 Friday, September 23
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 5:15 (Selichot), 7:10 5:20 (Selichot), 7:15 5:20 (Selichot), 7:15 5:15 (Selichot), 7:10 5:20 (Selichot), 7:15
Arcola 6:50 6:50 6:50 6:50 6:50 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 6:45 6:45 6:45 6:45 6:45
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 6:06 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:57 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:33 PM
September 23-24, 2016 – 21 Elul 5776
Parshas Ki Savo
Light Candles by 6:44 – Havdalah 7:41
* Light Candles by 6:44
Arcola: 6:45, Ruach University: 6:45 Sephardi: 6:45 Nusach Sefard: 6:45
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 6:40 University: 6:40 Sephardi: 6:20 Nusach Sefard: 6:40
* Maariv/Havdalah: 7:41
Shabbos, September 17 Bar Mitzvah of Shlomo Fischer
Sunday, September 18 YISE Annual Barbecue, 3:00 PM – 6:00 PM
Monday, September 19 Basic Colors, 12:00 noon – 6:30 PM
Tuesday, September 20 YISE board of Directors Meeting, 7:30 PM
Wednesday, September 21 Senior Lunch, Speaker: Dr. Alan Breitler, Professor, Computer Science, UMUC "Life and Theories of Albert Einstein," Part 2 of 2
Friday, September 23 Ruach Minyan, YISE Social Hall, 6:45
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, September 21 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director