Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
August 28-29, 2015 – 14 Elul 5775 – Parshas Ki Seitzei
Light Candles by 7:27 (and not before 6:22) – Havdalah 8:25
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Joey Franco – Mortgage Banker – 301-529-5387.
* Light Candles by 7:27, and not before 6:22
Arcola: 6:30, 7:30 University: 7:15 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 7:25 University: 7:25 Sephardi: 7:05 Nusach Sefard: 7:25
* Maariv/Havdalah: 8:25
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Yonatan Zakem
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* Sephardi Minyan – Moti's Market
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, behind balcony.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi Dovid Katzenstein – Mussar Shiur at 5:45 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 6:05 PM.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 6:35 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur at 6:55 PM.
* Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Barry Greengart – Shiur after Mincha at University.
* Lynn & Stephen Deutsch on the engagement of their son, Dr. Jacob Deutsch, to Shifra Glasner, daughter of Tovi & David Glasner of White Oak.
* Rose & Saul Elbaum on the birth of twin boys to their children Leiah & Jason Elbaum of Modi'in, Israel. Mazal tov also to the siblings, great aunt & uncle Lucy & Bernie Blitzstein and all the cousins.
* Nancy & Pesach Mehlman on the birth of a grandson. Mazal Tov to Jack Mehlman on the birth of a great-grandson. Mazal Tov to the parents Yoni & Rivky Mehlman and the uncles, aunts and cousins Shlomo Mehlman, Rivka, Tani, Rayna and Chloe Friedman, Moshe Mehlman and to the entire Mehlman family.
* Rachel & Michael Ravin on the Bat Mitzvah of their daughter, Chana Leah. Mazal Tov to her siblings, Zev, Eliana, and Akiva, and to her grandparents, Joyce & Dr. Stevan Levy and Sharon & Beryl Ravin.
* Sheridan & Melvin Sassoon on the birth of a granddaughter, Sophia, first child for Rachel & Josh Reznick of Baltimore. Mazal Tov to aunts, uncles, cousins and grandparents Dvora Sora & Howard Reznick of Baltimore. Also to great-grandparents in England, Israel and Baltimore.
* Menucha & Noach Wolfe on the birth of a daughter, Keira. Mazal Tov to her brothers David and Nathan and grandparents Shanie & Alan Singer and Miriam & Reuven Wolfe.
* Judy Klein on the passing of her father, Joseph Mermelstein. The funeral took take place on Monday in Michigan. Shiva will be observed through Saturday evening at 11:00 pm at the Klein home, 901 Holborn Street.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash – now learning Sefer Yonah.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash – will resume September 9.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women. A mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evening at 7:30 PM at the home of Marion & Harry Felsen. Refreshments provided by the hosts.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM. Choose from classes:
* Timeless Talmud with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Jewish Philosophy with Rabbi Yonatan Zakem
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network's Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or email@example.com
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah – Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the Social Hall; Maariv to follow. Choose from classes:
* Gemara Kop with R' Nachum Schwartz
* Becoming an Inspired Eved Hashem – Alei Shur (R' Shlomo Wolbe) with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher
* Iyunim L'Halacha with R' Moshe Haim Blate
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men – Shiur on Baba Kamma will resume on Wednesday, September 9 at 8:00 PM at University.
* GWCK Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency, Thursdays at 8:05 PM in the small Social Hall.
YISE Programs and Listings
We welcome new members who were voted in at the last Board meeting: Elisheva & Ari Avidar
Machzor Review – Get inspired for the Yomin Noraim with another class with Rabbi Rosenbaum. Study the Yom Kippur Viduy (confession), Monday, August 31, at 8:15 PM, in the Belonofsky Sanctuary (note new time and location). Bring your favorite Machzor. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Part of the YISE Meaningful Tefilah Project.
Selichos Explained – Ever wonder why we say Selichos? Or what they mean? Join Rabbi Rosenbaum and Baal Tefilah Marty Jacobs on Motzei Shabbos, September 5, from 11:30 PM – 12:45 AM in the Social Hall to learn about Selichos, hear the haunting melodies, and enjoy refreshments prior to the service. Contact email@example.com with questions. Sponsors welcome. Part of the YISE Meaningful Tefilah Project.
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on topics in Jewish History. Monday, August 31, 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM, 1111 University Blvd. W., #215. Light refreshments will be served. For information, contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or firstname.lastname@example.org
High Holiday Planning:
* The seating forms are available in the boxes outside the Sanctuary and the Beis Medrash, and are also available on the Shul web site. It can then be sent via e-mail or dropped off with payment at the Shul or call the Shul bookkeeper with credit card numbers.
* RH and YK Babysitting for childen ages 2-9 years old for $10 per child. Please see the flyer in the social hall lobby or contact email@example.com for more information.
* The YISE Youth Sukkah Hop is coming up! If you are interested in volunteering your Sukkah as one of the stops, please contact Brett Kugler at firstname.lastname@example.org
Help Make a Minyan – For the past 2 years you have been successfully helping University Blvd. Shul make a Minyan for Shabbos. However we need to refresh our rotation list with additional volunteers. As a volunteer you will be asked to attend Friday night and/or Shabbos services at University Blvd. only 4 times a year, if we anticipate a shortfall. Please contact Melvin Sassoon at email@example.com to be part of this Mitzvah of helping to preserve a Minyan.
YISE Dedication Opportunities – Please take a moment to check out the YISE website www.yise.org to see exciting new naming opportunities available. Leaves, bricks, business card ads, and dedications are just some of the newly added content. Keep checking back as much more is planned in the very near future to enhance your experience at YISE.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
RESTARTING THIS WEEK: Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Community Programs and Listings
Condolences to the family of long-time member Samuel (Shmuel) Blech, brother of Rabbi Benjamin Blech and father of Rabbi Zushe (Sheldon) Blech, Judy Slyper, Devorah Berson and Rabbi Aharon Moshe (Alan) Blech. The funeral took place Wednesday in New York. Shiva will be observed through Tuesday morning in various locations.
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before regular Mincha.
Dirshu Daf Yomi B'Halacha on Hilchos Tefillin, learn Mishna Brurah with Rabbi Eli Reingold, Monday – Thursday evenings, 35 minutes before Mincha at YISE Arcola. For information contact him at 301-996-5910 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Tehillim – Wednesday mornings. Contact Arleeta Lerner for details 301-649-0552.
Lifnei Iver – The Laws of Impacting Others – Kollel Zichron Amram of YGW-Tiferes Gedaliah invites the community to the Semi-Annual Yom Iyun for Men, a morning of Yeshiva learning Sunday, August 30, YGW Boys' Campus. To RSVP or for more information: contact Rabbi Moshe Haim Blate at 404-273-3392 or email@example.com
A Month of Middos – Special Elul Shiurim with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher. In preparation for Rosh Hashana, we will discuss various Middos and how to improve our interpersonal relationships. 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, Tuesdays in Rockville. September 1 at Ezras Israel Congregation, and September 8 at JCCGW.
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, September 2, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Pirchei is coming! Calling all boys, first through sixth grade! Pirchei is starting up Parshas Ki Savo, September 5, in the classrooms at the Yeshiva, 4:00 PM – 4:55 PM. See you there! To join our e-mail list, contact Ranon Cortell or Pinchas Werner at email@example.com
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington Pre-Rosh Hashana Boutique – Sunday, September 6, 11:00 AM – 4:00 PM, at the Berman home in Potomac,11705 Gainsborough Road. For more information, contact Rhonda Lehman: firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-351-1725
Workplace Skills Workshops:
* Job Search for 50+ – Career Gateway offers intensive training, take-home materials, and a long-term mentor. Next series starts on September 8. Info and register at http://www.accessjca.org/programs/senior-employment/
Yom Tov Appeals Sustain Community Safety Nets – Two Kemp Mill based foundations need your tax-deductible donations to meet increasing aid requests. On Yom Tov, Tomchei Shabbos of Greater Washington, supplements the support it provides through its year-round Tomchei Shabbos program; contribute at http://www.tomcheishabbosgw.org/ The Franco Foundation's help for essentials like rent, mortgage, and utilities, relieves stress so our neighbors can experience Simchas Yom Tov. To donate at Allan Franco, 613 Bromley Street, Silver Spring, MD 20902 or through Paypal, at email@example.com
Tekiah, Shvarim, T'ruah – Will you or someone you know not hear those sounds this Rosh Hashanah because you can't get to Shul? Volunteers are also needed to blow Shofar. To arrange for a Shofar blower to visit you at home, in Kemp Mill, or to volunteer, contact Aron Trombka at 301-681-3025 or ATrombka@verizon.net
The Week Ahead
Sunday, August 30 Monday, August 31 Tuesday, September 1 Wednesday, September 2 Thursday, September 3 Friday, September 4
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 5:15 (Selichos), 7:10 5:20 (Selichos), 7:15 5:20 (Selichos), 7:15 5:15 (Selichos), 7:10 5:20 (Selichos), 7:15
Arcola 7:25 7:25 7:25 7:25 7:25 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 7:20 7:20 7:20 7:20 7:20
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 5:47 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:51 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:42 PM
September 4-5, 2015 – 21 Elul 5775
Parshas Ki Savo
Light Candles by 7:16 – Havdalah 8:14
* Light Candles by 7:16, and not before 6:13
Arcola: 6:30, 7:20 University: 7:15 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 7:15 University: 7:15 Sephardi: 6:55 Nusach Sefard: 7:15
* Maariv/Havdalah: 8:14
Wednesday, September 2 Senior Lunch, 12:00 Noon, Social Hall. Speaker: Rosa Weinstein "What About Martha?" (Washington, that is!)
Like YISE on Facebook: facebook.com/YIShomraiEmunah
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, September 2 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director