Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
August 24 – 25, 2018 – 14 Elul 5778 – Parshas Ki Seitzei
Light Candles by 7:32 – Havdalah 8:31
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by David, Leah, Yehuda, and Shira Zurndorfer (and families) in honor of the 40th anniversary of their parents, Ed and Linda Zurndorfer.
* Tzivia & Rabbi Sam Bramson on the birth of a greatgranddaughter, Ita, to their grandchildren, Rivka & Yosef Weinstein of Lakewood, NJ.
* Esther & Seth Kaplan on the birth of a son. Mazal Tov to big sister Ahuva and extended family. The Shalom Zachor will take place at the home of Simi & Sammy Franco, 11525 Monticello Avenue, from 9:30 PM to 11:00 PM.
* Susan & Rabbi Saul Koss on the engagement of their grandson Menachem, son of Miriam Z"L & Rabbi Simcha Guttman of Milwaukee, to Chana Mayerhoff of Hollywood, FL.
* Light Candles by 7:32, and not before 6:27
Ashkenazi: 6:35, 7:35 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:00, 7:30 Sephardi: 7:15 Nusach Sefard: 7:30
* Shabbos Ends: 8:31
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00, 9:15 Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* Sephardi Minyan – "Sephardic Group"
* 8:00 Minyan – Nancy & Bruce James in honor of their 36th wedding anniversary, and on the 6th Yahrzeit of Nancy's mother, Betty Baum.
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, after Hashkamah Minyan, lower lobby.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 5:30 PM, Large Social Hall.
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 6:30 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver – Shiur after Mincha
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual selfimprovement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash, will resume September 4. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash, will resume September 5.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evenings at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact email@example.com
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM. Choose from classes:
* On the Same Page with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Sage Advice with Rabbi Moshe Sadwin
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for Men and Women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sunday evenings in the Social Hall at 8:05 PM.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, firstname.lastname@example.org, 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Shaps – On The Same Page
* Tuesdays: Rabbi Winter – Torah Topics
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Grossman – Reading Responsa
* Thursdays: Rabbi Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah
* Tuesdays & Wednesdays: Shivti led by Rabbi Sussman. Rabbi Grossman will be presenting weekly lectures on the weekly topic.
* For Women:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Tehillim: An in-depth analysis – (begins October 8)
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM-7:25 AM & Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the room behind the Balcony.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men and women, Tuesday mornings 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women: Sefer Yonah, Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Succah, Wednesdays at 7:00 PM in the Social Hall, will resume in the fall.
YISE Programs and Listings
Mi Sheberach List – The Cholim list is being renewed for Shabbos, September 1. If you have a name that you would like kept on the list please contact Esther Edeson at email@example.com or 301-593-4465, ext. 402, by Thursday, August 30.
Lost and Found – All items from the downstairs coatroom (including coats, keys, etc.) will be removed on Tuesday, September 4.
Shiur and Shirim for Selichos – Join us on Saturday night, September 1, at 10:30 PM in the YISE Social Hall for a Meaningful Tefillah pre-Selichos program. Mrs. Sharon Freundel will lead a Shiur on the Pshat and Drash of L'David Ori, followed at 11:30 PM. by refreshments and soulful community singing, with words of inspiration from Rabbi Rosenbaum. Free and open to all. To sponsor ($18-$36) or for more info, email StuartRosenthal@yise.org
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish History on Monday, September 3 from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM at 1111 University Blvd. W. in the Penthouse. Light refreshments will be served. For more info, contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or firstname.lastname@example.org
High Holiday Seats – Oh my gosh! Rosh Hashanah is only two weeks away and I forgot to reserve seats? Blank forms are in the box outside the Belonofsky Sanctuary and the Beis Medrash. Forms are also available on the YISE website at www.yise.org/seats. Please complete and forward ASAP.
Tekiah, Shvarim, Truah – Will you or someone you know not hear those sounds this Rosh Hashanah because you can't get to Shul? To arrange for a Shofar blower to visit you at home, or to volunteer to blow shofar, in Kemp Mill, please call Aron Trombka, at 301-681- 3025, or email@example.com
Lulavim and Esrogim – YISE is working this year with Josh Breitstein to bring you the finest quality Arba Minim sets. Prices: Aleph $75, Beis $65, Gimmel $55, Chinuch $35. Complete details and order form at: www.yise.org/lulav Order deadline: Friday September 7. Pickup Thursday, September 20, 3:00 PM – 9:00 PM.
Yizkor Guide – The Yizkor Guide is used in all Minyanim for four Yizkor services during the year (Yom Kippur, Shemini Atzeres, Pesach and Shavuos.) As before, an unlimited number of name listings are available in the new guide for a Yizkor Guide sponsorship of $180. Alternatively, individual name listings can be purchased for $18 each. The deadline for Yizkor Guide sponsorships or individual listings has been extended to August 31. To sign up online, go to www.yise.org/yizkor If you have questions, please contact Marc Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org or Debbie Katz at email@example.com
YISE Annual BBQ – Sunday, September 16th, 4:00 PM – 7:00 PM at Kemp Mill Estates Local Park, 120 Claybrook Drive. Middle Eastern Style and American Style food. $10 per Adult, $5 per Child (ages 2 – 8), Family Max. $45. Please consider becoming a sponsor – Ketchup $250, Mustard $180, Relish $100. RSVP and pay in advance at www.yise.org/bbq For more information or to volunteer, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program is a service to help members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help out. Please note that by signing up, you are not committing to help with anything specific. You will be notified when volunteers are needed, and if you are available at that time, we would appreciate if you could help. If you wish to be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754- 1517, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Beis Medrash, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups:
2-5 year-olds 9:30 AM – end of 8:45 minyan in the youth room behind the Balcony. 1st-4th grade 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM at the Yeshiva. Walking group leaves at 10:00 AM. Girls meet in the main lobby. Boys meet outside the Social Hall.
Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Parsha and Popsicles in the Park – Join YISE Youth at the Kemp Mill Urban Park this Shabbos, August 25, at 4:30 PM. Rabbi Rosenbaum will speak at 4:35 PM, followed by popscles. If it rains, the event will be rescheduled.
Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur Babysitting will be offered for 2-10 year olds at $10 per child, per day from 10am-1pm. Spots are limited. Contact email@example.com to pay and reserve a spot. Questions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Shabbos Groups Director – Job Opportunity – The YISE Youth Committee is seeking a Shabbos Groups Director for Shabbos youth groups for the 2018-2019 school year. Excellent communications skills and experience working with pre-school through school aged children are a necessity. For more information or to apply, email email@example.com
Member of YISE needs rides daily from Kemp Mill to the Hebrew Home in Rockville and back. Please contact Miriam Friedman at firstname.lastname@example.org or Melanie Karlin at email@example.com for more information.
Shomrai Preschool News
School Starts This Week! Our Morahs have been getting ready for a great year! We are almost full but still have a couple of spaces left. Please contact Suri Kinzbrunnner at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. We are open from 7:30 until 6 with scheduling options catered to fit your needs. We look forward to having your child at Shomrai Preschool!
Community Programs and Listings
Rabbi Marvin Goldman's Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, August 25, at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 516, at 4:30 PM.
2nd Annual Summer Track Meet! – Ko-ach Sports presents a free Summer Track Meet for kids in the community! Sunday, August 26, 4:00 PM – 6:00 PM at Montgomery Blair HS, 51 Univ. Blvd. East. Open to girls K-4th Grade and boys K- 8th Grade. Top finishers in each race receive a ribbon. Go to www.Ko-achSports.com for more information No registration required.
Free Job Search Webinars – Monday August 27 – (1) Cracking the Federal Job Code, 8:00PM – 8:30PM, (2) Moving Forward in Your Career – Getting Out of the Job Rut, 8:30 PM – 9:00 PM. Presented by Corliss Jackson of Federal Job Results. For more information and to register, please go to http://www.federaljobresults.com/events
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, August 29, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator & leader. Contact Debbie Katz at email@example.com for more information.
Pirchei is Coming! Calling all boys, first through sixth grade! Pirchei is starting next week, Parshas Ki Savo, September 1, in the classrooms at the Yeshiva, 4:00-4:55. See you there! To join our email list, contact Ranon Cortell or Pinchas Werner at firstname.lastname@example.org
Inspiration in the New Year – AMIT Birah Chapter of Greater Washington. Rabbi Michoel Frank of Kehilas Ohr HaTorah will speak at a private home in Kemp Mill on Tuesday, September 4 at 8:00 PM. Cost: $18. Contact AMIT at 410-484-2223 or Robbiep@amitchildren.org for more information.
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before Mincha.
Yom Tov Appeals Sustain Community Safety Nets – Two local foundations need your tax-deductible donations to meet increasing Yom Tov aid requests.
* Yad Yehuda provides critical assistance during the Yomim Tovim. Yad Yehuda's Tomchei Shabbos Program currently assists 600 individuals and families thoughout Greater Washington meet their daily and Shabbos needs. Your generous contribution will directly provide the extra help they need for the upcoming Yomim Tovim, enabling them to celebrate with the same Simchas Yom Tov that you enjoy in your own home. To learn mo’re or to donate, please visit www.yadyehuda.org
* The Franco Foundation needs your tax-deductible donations to meet increasing Yom Tov aid requests. The Foundation helps with essentials, like rent, mortgage, and utilities; mail to Allan Franco, 613 Bromley Street or through Paypal with The Franco Foundation@gmail.com
Learn Mishnah Brurah Hilchos Shabbos in 18 Months – Shiur for men with Rabbi Eli Reingold. Monday through Thursday, 8:00 – 8:45 PM at the Boys Yeshiva. Questions? Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Nedarim. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more info, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
The Value of Modesty – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for women, based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: gemachexchange.com
Help Us Refill the Shelves at Yad Yehuda's Capital Kosher Pantry – The shelves at Yad Yehuda's Capital Kosher Pantry are in serious need of replenishment. Are you able to donate some of these items?
Baking Ingredients: Pareve Chocolate Chips, Sugar, Cooking Oil, Olive Oil, Pareve Cake Mixes (e.g., Duncan Hines), Baking Soda, Baking Powder
Food Staples: Garbanzo Beans (chick peas), Pareve Granola Bars (e.g., Nature Valley), Rice Cakes, Pareve Circle Crackers, Mayonnaise, Pasta Sauce, Pizza Sauce, Whole Wheat Pasta (not spaghetti)
Shabbos Supplies: Grape Juice, Gefilte Fish, Yahrzeit Candles, Tea Lights
Not Needed Right Now: Honey Nut Cheerios, Canned Green Beans, Canned Corn, Oatmeal, Regular Pasta, Yams, Mustard
* Place your donations in any Capital Kosher Pantry box in most Shuls, Shalom Kosher, Moti's Market or on the porch of Yad Yehuda at 1910 University Blvd.
* Select items from the Capital Kosher Pantry shelves in Shalom Kosher and, after purchase, deposit them in the Yad Yehuda box in front of the registers.
* Shop online at Walmart or Amazon (info at yadyehudah.org ) and have the food shipped directly to the Capital Kosher Pantry.
Questions? Please call 301-842-7935 ext 706.
Help our Senior Neighbors – What if you had to give up your car keys and depend on someone else to get you where you needed to go? This is happening to more and more of our senior neighbors. Consider volunteering with the Senior Connection to drive seniors to medical appointments. Training and liability coverage are provided, and you can set your own volunteering schedule. For more information, contact email@example.com, call 301-962-0820 or visit www.seniorconnectionmc.org
The Week Ahead
Sunday August 26 Monday August 27 Tuesday August 28 Wednesday August 29 Thursday August 30 Friday August 31
Ashkenazi 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30* 6:00*, 7:15 6:10*, 7:15 6:10*, 7:15 6:00*, 7:15 6:10*, 7:15
Ashkenazi 7:30 7:30 7:30 7:30 7:30 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 7:25* 7:25* 7:25* 7:25* 7:25*
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 5:43 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:50 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:43 PM
* Sephardi Selichot 50 minutes before 1st Shacharit, 45 minutes before Mincha
August 31 – September 1, 2018 – 21 Elul 5778
Parshas Ki Savo
Light Candles by 7:22 – Havdalah 8:20
* Light Candles by 7:22, and not before 6:18
Ashkenazi: 6:30, 7:25 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:00, 7:20 Sephardi: 7:05 Nusach Sefard: 7:20
* Maariv/Havdalah: 8:20
Shabbos, August 25 "Meat" & Greet, 1:00 PM – RSVP required
Shabbos, August 25 Parsha and Popsicles in the Park, 4:30 PM
Tuesday, August 28 YISE Board of Directors Meeting, 7:00 PM
Motzei Shabbos, Sept. 1 Shiur & Shirim for Selichos, 10:30 PM
Sunday, September 16 Annual BBQ, 4:00 PM
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, August 29 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager