Parashas Ki Savo – September 8-9, 2017
Download the September 8-9, 2017 Shabbos Shorts [PDF]
Sign up to get the Shabbos Shorts emailed to you each week
Please note that due to limited space (this Shorts is NOT legal size 8-1/2×14), the following Community items were not included in the PDF Shorts:
* Yom Tov Appeal Sustains Community Safety Net – The Franco Foundation needs your tax-deductible donations too meet increasing Yom Tov aid requests. The Foundation helps with essentials, like rent, mortgage, and utilities; mail to Allan Franco, 613 Bromley Street, or through Paypal with email@example.com
* Yad Yehuda Responds to More Assistance Requests. Tomchei Shabbos of Greater Washington, currently assists over 225 individuals with the extra Shabbos and Yom Tov expenses. Your contribution will directly provide the extra help these individuals need for the upcoming Yomim Tovim and will enable them to celebrate with their families with the same simchas Yom Tov that we expect in our homes. To learn more or to make a donation, please visit http://yadyehuda.org
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
September 8-9, 2017 – 18 Elul 5777 – Parshas Ki Savo
Light Candles by 7:09 (and not before 6:08) – Havdalah 8:06
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Joey Franco – Mortgage Banker – 301-529-5387.
* Naomi & Nechemia Mond on the birth of a son. Mazal Tov to the big brothers and sister, grandparents Ita & Jimmy Mond and Betty & Stuart Ozar and great-grandparents Rosaline Sonnenwirth and Marilyn & Milton Ozar, and all of the aunts, uncles and cousins.
* Judy & Stuart Rosenthal on the engagement of their daughter, Tova, to Jeremy Felder, son of Eileen & Joel Felder of East Brunswick, NJ.
* Nomi & Jeremy Schnittman on the Bat Mitzvah of their daughter, Talya. Mazal Tov to siblings Chaim, Ilan, and Meira, and grandparents Suzanne & Michael Schnittman and Sheila & Mechy Frankel.
* Renee & Josh Seidemann on the Bar Mitzvah of their son Avishai. Mazal Tov to the entire extended Seidemann and Goldstein families.
* Carolyn Fanaroff on the passing of her mother, Marilyn Fanaroff. The funeral took place on Monday. Shiva will be observed at 508 Hermleigh Rd. until Sunday morning.
* Light Candles by 7:09, and not before 6:08
Ashkenazi: 6:30, 7:10 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:00, 7:05 Sephardi: 6:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:05
* Maariv/Havdalah: 8:06
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 and 9:15 Minyanim Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – Renee & Josh Seidemann in honor of Avishai's Bar Mitzvah.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, Rabbi's Study.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 6:00 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evenings at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM. Choose from classes:
* Timeless Talmud with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Thirteen Attributes with Rabbi Moshe Sadwin
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 7:00 AM – 7:45 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network Presents:
* Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for Men and Women, Tuesday mornings 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM.
* Rabbi Raphael Malka's Mishnah Class for Men, Tuesday mornings, 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM.
* For more information: 301-732-1773 or email@example.com
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women on Teshuva. Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Meseches Bava Basra, Wednesdays at 7:50 PM in the Arcola Social Hall.
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for Men and Women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sundays, 7:45 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash – please note new time.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Yonatan Zakem at firstname.lastname@example.org or 513-313-4899.
* Men (classes located in the YISE Beis Medrash):
* Monday: Parsha Analysis with Rabbi Hillel Shaps – will not meet this week.
* Tuesday: Torah Topics with Rabbi Menachem Winter.
* Wednesday: Reading Responsa with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman.
* Thursday: Yesodei Hatorah with Rabbi Avraham Sussman.
* Thursday: Inspired Avodah with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher.
* Monday – Thursday: Shivti led by Rabbi Yonatan Zakem, under the guidance of Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – will not meet on Monday.
* Women (class located in the Small Social Hall):
* Monday: Women of Valor with Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – will resume on Monday, September 25.
YISE Programs and Listings
High Holiday Preparations:
* Seating – Letters with seating information will be mailed this week. If you have not reserved your seat, download the fillable PDF from www.yise.org/seats Payment by check or call the Shul office (Simi at 301-593-4465 x403) with credit card information.
* HaShomer – Deadline for articles and ads has passed.
* Lulavim and Esrogim – YISE is working this year with Josh Breitstein to bring you the finest quality Arba Minim sets. Complete details and order form at: www.yise.org/lulav Volunteers are needed to help.
The Rosh Hashanah Mussaf: Building Ourselves through Prayer – Shiur for women with Rabbi Rosenbaum. Sunday, September 10, at 8:30 PM at the home of Masha Schore, 911 South Belgrade Road. (Please note new location.)
The Shofar of Rosh Hashana: The Bridge between Sinai and Moshiach – Pre-Rosh Hashanah BMZG Community Shiur for men and women with Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky. Monday, September 11, 8:00 PM, at YISE. For more information contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Pre-Selichos Meaningful Tefilah Shabbos – Shabbos, September 16. Starting with special Chazanim at the 8:45 Main Minyan, continued Motzai Shabbos in the Social Hall at 11:30 PM with words of inspiration from Rabbi Rosenbaum and community singing led by Chaim Fruchter, plus refreshments. Selichos will follow in the sanctuary at 12:45 AM. Sponsors are welcome: $18 – $36. Sponsor checks (marked "Selichos") may be made out to YISE and mailed or delivered to the shul office. For more information, contact StuartRosenthal@yise.org or 301-980-9557.
YISE Disability Inclusion Committee – We are aware that there are people in our community whose personal circumstances make it difficult for them to participate in the synagogue community. The committee has been formed to try to address this need. We are starting a process of discovery which, we hope, will culminate in improvements that will enhance our entire community's Shul experience. If you or a member of your family has a visible or invisible disability, including ones that result from illness or aging, this notice is for you. By October 1, please send us an email with your name and phone number to email@example.com and one of our committee members will happily contact you within a few days.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Beis Medrash, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the Balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Early care for 2-5 year-olds runs from 9:30 AM – 10:00 AM. Groups for all ages run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before regular Mincha.
Learn Mishnah Brurah Hilchos Shabbos in 18 Months – Shiur for men with Rabbi Eli Reingold. Monday through Thursday, 40 minutes before Mincha at YISE. Questions? Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Kesuvos. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more information, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit www.dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up".
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Road.
The Value of Modesty – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for women, based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM, 609 Hyde Road.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: gemachexchange.com
Pirkei Avos Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, September 9 at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 906, at 4:00 PM.
Kemp Mill Pirchei – Starting this week! For boys, first through sixth grade in the Yeshiva classrooms, Shabbos afternoons, 4:00 PM – 4:55 PM. If you're interested in sponsoring or to join our email list, please contact Ranon Cortell or Pinchas Werner at firstname.lastname@example.org
LINKS – Share your passion, background, and knowledge to connect others to our rich heritage through Torah study! At the Bender JCC on Wednesday evenings 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM. For more information, contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps at 347-869-9361 or email@example.com
Tapping the Spiritual Richness and Avodah of Each Month in the Jewish Year – Presented by The Mesorah Women's Learning Institute, with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher. Mondays at 8:00 PM, at the home of Helene Goodman,10711 Stoneyhill Drive. For More information, contact Sorah Rivkah Goodman 301-681-6347.
BCGW MitzvahCycle 2017 – Sunday, September 10. Raise money for BCGW and help us save lives one pedal at a time! Registration required and sponsorships are available. Register at www.bikurcholimgw.org
The Beacon's Free 50+ Expo – Sunday, September 10, 12:00 Noon – 4:00 PM, Silver Spring Civic Center in downtown Silver Spring. A similar Expo will take place Sunday, September17, 12:00 Noon – 4:00 PM, Springfield Town Center in Springfield, VA. For more info or to volunteer, 301-949-9766.
Bone Marrow Drive – Sunday, September 10, 5:45 PM at YGW Boys.
Inspiration in the New Year – AMIT Birah Chapter of Greater Washington presents the keynote speaker, Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum. Monday, September 11, 8:00 PM, at the home of Dr. Caroline & Eric Namrow, 6 Fulham Court. The cost is $43 which includes membership for 1 year. The cost for current life members to attend is $18. For reservations or more info, contact Miriam Friedman at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 301-754-1517 or visit: www.AMITChildren.org/Midatlantic
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, September 13, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at email@example.com for more information.
Pre-Rosh Hashana Symposium – The GWCK invites men and women. Featuring words of insight and inspiration from Rabbis of our community. Sunday, September 17, 8:00 PM at 10900 Lockwood Drive. Speakers include Rabbi Shaya Milikowsky, Rabbi Mordechai Rhine, Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum, and Rabbi Menachem Winter.
American Sign Language Classes – Offered by Magen David Congregation. ASL is fun to learn, and thinking visually jogs a new part of our brains. Consider it brain aerobics! The class will be held on Mondays at 7:00 PM, beginning on September 18. Tuition for the 10-week series is $100. Please contact the Magen David office with questions at 301-770-6818 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Tekiah, Shvarim, Truah – Will you or someone you know not hear those sounds this Rosh Hashanah because you can't get to Shul? To arrange for a Shofar blower to visit you at home, in Kemp Mill, contact email@example.com
The Week Ahead
Sunday, September 10 Monday, September 11 Tuesday, September 12 Wednesday, September 13 Thursday, September 14 Friday, September 15
Ashkenazi 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 6:40 (Selichot), 7:30 5:20 (Selichot), 6:10 5:25 (Selichot), 6:15 5:25 (Selichot), 6:15 5:20 (Selichot), 6:10 5:25 (Selichot), 6:15
Ashkenazi 7:05 7:05 7:05 7:05 7:05 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 7:00 7:00 7:00 7:00 7:00
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 5:58 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:54 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:37 PM
September 15-16, 2017 – 25 Elul 5777
Parshas Nitzavim / Vayeilech
Light Candles by 6:58 – Havdalah 7:55
* Light Candles by 6:58
Ashkenazi: 7:00 Sephardi: 6:55 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:00, 6:55 Sephardi: 6:35 Nusach Sefard: 6:55
* Maariv/Havdalah: 7:55
Shabbos, September 9 Bar Mitzvah of Avishai Seidemann
Monday, September 11 Basic Colors, 12:00 Noon – 6:30 PM
Shabbos, September 16 Pre-Selichos Meaningful Tefilah Shabbos
Shabbos, September 16 Bar Mitzvah of Avraham Zev Kalinsky, 8:00 Minyan
Wednesday, September 27 Rabbi Frand's Teshuva Drasha, 8:00 PM
Sunday November 12 "Superhero" Community Blood Drive, 10:00 AM – 3:00 PM, Social Hall
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, September 13 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday-Thursday 9:00 AM through 5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager