Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
September 4-5, 2015 – 21 Elul 5775 – Parshas Ki Savo
Light Candles by 7:16 (and not before 6:13) – Havdalah 8:14
* Light Candles by 7:16, and not before 6:13
Arcola: 6:30, 7:20 University: 7:15 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 7:15 University: 7:15 Sephardi: 6:55 Nusach Sefard: 7:15
* Maariv/Havdalah: 8:14
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* 8:00 Minyan – "The Chevra"
* Sephardi Minyan – Popi Elul in memory of his mother Alis Bat Masudah; Liorah Dahan in memory of her father Chaim Ben Avraham; and in honor of Yosi Ben Saadon and his family on the birth of a new daughter and their return back to Israel.
* 8:45 Main Minyan – In honor of the Bat Mitzvah of Paula Ungar by Ira Ungar and Carolyn Fanaroff.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, behind balcony.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Mussar Shiur at 5:40 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 5:55 PM.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 6:25 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur will resume after Sukkos.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha at University.
* Rabbi Silver – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Joey Franco – Mortgage Banker – 301-529-5387.
* Esther & Joseph Rabin on the birth of a baby boy. Mazal Tov also to big brother Joshua, and grandparents Carol & Lionel Rabin and Dan & Sally Hoffman. Also Mazal Tov to Keren & Ira Rabin and family and Abigail & Rabbi Elie Rothberger and family. The Shalom Zachar will be at their home, 301 Hermleigh Road, at 9:00 PM.
* Ruth Rochel & Yitz Stokes on the birth of a grand-nephew, Isaac Anthony Funk, born to her nephew Yolanda Fuentes & Derek Funk of Seattle. Isaac joins older sister Miley Monique.
* Marla & Marty Teichman on the marriage of their granddaughter, Chaya, daughter of Debra & Reuven Meth to Zevy, son of Aliza & Rabbi Aaron Tendler of Baltimore. AND on the engagement of their grandson, Yaakov, son of Rabbi Manny & Randee Goldberger of Atlanta to Bracha Rissel Leff, daughter of Gittie & Rabbi Zalman Leff of Boston.
* Ira Ungar and Carolyn Fanaroff on the occasion of their daughter Paula's Bat Mitzvah and to grandmother Marilyn Fanaroff and to big brother Meshulam.
* Spencer Gakner on the passing of his brother, Richard Gakner. The funeral took place on Thursday in Israel. Shiva will continue at 900 Holborn Street from Sunday afternoon through Wednesday morning. The Minyan schedule is as follows: Mincha/Maariv: Sunday, Monday, Tuesday: 7:10. Shacharis: Monday: 6:45, Tuesday/Wednesday: 7:00.
* Susan Koss on the passing of her mother, Bertha Blumenthal. The funeral took place on Monday in New Jersey. Shiva will be observed at 11405 Monticello Avenue through Sunday morning.
* Motzei Shabbos, September 5:
Arcola: Shiur 12:50 AM followed by Selichos.
* Sunday, September 6:
6:00 AM (other Minyanim do not have Selichos).
* See the Week Ahead on back for remainder of schedule. All times listed are for Selichos, followed by Shacharis. The first and third Minyanim will be held in the Social Hall and the second and fourth Minyanim will be held in the Belonofsky Sanctuary (Tuesday – Friday).
YISE Programs and Listings
Selichos Explained – Ever wonder why we say Selichos? Or what they mean? Join Rabbi Rosenbaum and Baal Tefilah Marty Jacobs on Motzei Shabbos, September 5, from 11:30 PM – 12:45 AM in the Social Hall to learn about Selichos, hear the haunting melodies, and enjoy refreshments prior to the service. Contact email@example.com with questions. Sponsors welcome. Part of the YISE Meaningful Tefilah Project.
High Holiday Planning:
* Letters with High Holiday seat information were mailed this week. If you have not received the information, please send a note to firstname.lastname@example.org and a copy will be sent via e-mail within two days.
* Pruzbul – Any individual who is owed money by another Jew is advised to arrange a Pruzbul before Rosh Hashanah. A Bais Din will be convened for that purpose on Sunday morning, September 6, after the 7:30 Shacharis and on Erev Rosh Hashanah, September 13, after Hataras Nedarim following the 7:00 Shacharis.
* RH and YK Babysitting for childen ages 2-9 years old for $10 per child. Please see the flyer in the social hall lobby or contact email@example.com for more information.
* Lulavim and Esrogim – As a fundraiser for the shul, YISE will sell this year through Elli-Chai's. Orders can be made at www.yise.org/lulav or by calling the Shul office. Sign up now and support YISE! This offer ends on September 18.
* The YISE Youth Sukkah Hop is coming up! If you are interested in volunteering your Sukkah as one of the stops, please contact Brett Kugler at firstname.lastname@example.org
Help Make a Minyan – For the past 2 years you have been successfully helping University Blvd. Shul make a Minyan for Shabbos. However we need to refresh our rotation list with additional volunteers. As a volunteer you will be asked to attend Friday night and/or Shabbos services at University Blvd. only 4 times a year, if we anticipate a shortfall. Please contact Melvin Sassoon at email@example.com to be part of this Mitzvah of helping to preserve a Minyan.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash – now learning Sefer Yonah – will resume October 14.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women. A mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evening at 7:30 PM at the home of Marion & Harry Felsen. Refreshments provided by the hosts.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM. Choose from classes:
* Timeless Talmud with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Jewish Philosophy with Rabbi Yonatan Zakem
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network's Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or firstname.lastname@example.org
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah – Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the Social Hall; Maariv to follow. Choose from classes:
* Gemara Kop with R' Nachum Schwartz
* Becoming an Inspired Eved Hashem – Alei Shur (R' Shlomo Wolbe) with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher
* Iyunim L'Halacha with R' Moshe Haim Blate
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men – will resume on Wednesday, September 9 at 8:00 PM at University with the 7th Perek of Bava Kama.
* GWCK Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency, Thursdays at 8:00 PM in the small Social Hall.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Community Programs and Listings
The Unveiling for Todd Friedman's father, Meyer Mendel ben Shmaryahu, A"H will take place on Monday, September 7 (Labor Day) at 10:00 AM, graveside at Judean Memorial Gardens.
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before regular Mincha.
Dirshu Daf Yomi B'Halacha on Hilchos Tefillin, learn Mishna Brurah with Rabbi Eli Reingold, Monday – Thursday evenings, 35 minutes before Mincha at YISE Arcola. For information contact him at 301-996-5910 or email@example.com
Tehillim – Wednesday mornings. Contact Arleeta Lerner at 301-649-0552.
Kemp Mill Pirchei – For boys, first through sixth grade in the Yeshiva classrooms, Shabbos afternoons, 4:00 PM – 4:55 PM. If you're interested in sponsoring, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
A Pre-Selichos Evening of Hisorirus – YGW-Tiferes Gedaliah invites the women of the community. Motzei Shabbos, September 5. Open to women, alumnae, and Talmidos in the community, 5th grade and up. 9:30 PM – 11:00 PM. Shiurim with the YGW staff. YGW–Tiferes Gedaliah Girls Campus. For more information and to RSVP please contact Mrs. Esther Schwarz at 301-962-5111 ext. 1516 or email@example.com
Shmittah Esrogim: How Shmittah 5775 Affects Sukkos 5776 – The Federal Holiday Learning Program for Men. Labor Day, Monday, September 7. With Rabbi Eli Reingold presented by the Kollel Zichron Amram of the YGW-Tiferes Gedaliah. Chavrusa 9:00 AM; Shiur 10:00 AM at the YGW-Tiferes Gedaliah Boys Campus. For more information please contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington Pre-Rosh Hashana Boutique – Sunday, September 6, 11:00 AM – 4:00 PM, at the Berman home in Potomac,11705 Gainsborough Road. For more information, contact Rhonda Lehman: firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-351-1725
A Month of Middos – Special Elul Shiur with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher. In preparation for Rosh Hashana, we will discuss various Middos and how to improve our interpersonal relationships. 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, Tuesday, September 8 at JCCGW in Rockville.
Emergency Mission to Stop the Iran Deal – Co-sponsored by the National Council of Young Israel. Wednesday, September 9. There will be a Rabbis and Shul leadership rally at 12:15 PM on the North side of the Capitol to call on Congress to reject the Iran deal. There will be a broader gathering on the West Lawn of the Capitol at 2:00 PM. This rally will be addressed by, among others, leading Members of Congress who oppose the deal.
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, September 9, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at email@example.com for more information.
Pre-Rosh Hashanah Symposium – The GWCK invites all men and women. Featuring words of insight and inspiration from Rabbis of our community. Wednesday, September 9, 8:15 PM, At the GWC Kollel.
Mystical Insights from the Talmud on the Rosh Hashana Mussaf – TGN'S Men's Program with Mr. Chaim Goldstein, Thursday, September 10, 10:00 AM- 11:00 AM, Woodside Synagogue – Ahavas Torah. For more information contact Rabbi Shmuel Leigh at 301-732-1773 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Tekiah, Shvarim, T'ruah – Will you or someone you know not hear those sounds this Rosh Hashanah because you can't get to Shul? Volunteers are also needed to blow Shofar. To arrange for a Shofar blower to visit you at home, in Kemp Mill, or to volunteer, contact Aron Trombka at 301-681-3025 or ATrombka@verizon.net
Please join Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington at as we celebrate a caring community and honor Gary Winters, Doris Leeds, Sharon Dekelbaum and David Abrams. Sunday, October 25 at 10:00 AM (Brunch!) at Beth Sholom Congregation. Visit www.bikurcholimgw.org
Workplace Skills Workshop:
* Resume Confessions of a Former Recruiter – Free webinar, Wednesday, September 9, 12:30 PM to 1:15 PM. Info and register at http://www.sixfigurestart.com/about/upcoming-events/
The Week Ahead
Sunday, September 6 Monday, Sept. 7 – Labor Day Tuesday, September 8 Wednesday, September 9 Thursday, September 10 Friday, September 11
Arcola 6:00, 7:30, 8:45 6:00, 7:00, 8:45 6:00, 6:25, 7:00, 8:15 6:00, 6:25, 7:00, 8:15 5:45, 6:15, 7:00, 8:15 6:00, 6:25, 7:00, 8:15
Sephardi 7:30 7:30 5:20 (Selichos), 7:15 5:20 (Selichos), 7:15 5:15 (Selichos), 7:10 5:20 (Selichos), 7:15
Arcola 7:10 7:10 7:10 7:10 7:10 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 7:05 7:05 7:05 7:05 7:05
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 5:54 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:53 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:39 PM
September 11-12, 2015 – 28 Elul 5775
Light Candles by 7:05 – Havdalah 8:02
* Light Candles by 7:05
Arcola: 6:30, 7:05 University: 7:05 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 7:00 University: 7:00 Sephardi: 6:40 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
* Maariv/Havdalah: 8:02
Motzei Shabbos, September 5 Selichos Explained, Arcola Social Hall, 11:30 PM
Sunday, September 6 Pruzbul Beis Din, following 7:30 AM Minyan
Like YISE on Facebook: facebook.com/YIShomraiEmunah
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, September 9 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Hours: Closed Monday, Tuesday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director