Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
August 31 – September 1, 2018 – 21 Elul 5778 – Parshas Ki Savo
Light Candles by 7:22 – Havdalah 8:20
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week anonymously: Help someone find their Bashert. To celebrate having reached 3,000 member engagements, SawYouAtSinai.com is offering 3,000 FREE one month Gold Memberships to new members (through Sukkos). Check it out; pass the word.
* David Abrams on the engagement of his granddaughter, Rebecca Abrams, to Tani Levitt, both living in New York City. Mazal Tov also to grandparents Harriet and Roger Levitt.
* Rebbetzin Anemer on the marriage of her granddaughter. Sarah. daughter of Tzipora & Rabbi Zev Anemer, to Mashulam Paneth of Montreal, Canada.
* Jennifer & Yitzhak Cohen, Abby & Chaim Tor, and their extended families on the upcoming marriage of their children Rachel to Natan.
* Ali & Seth Jacobson on the birth of a daughter, Nehira. Mazal Tov also to proud big siblings Tuvyah, Sivan, and Sofie, and to grandparents Hedy & Bruce Jacobson and Robert Lederer.
* Karen & Cary Presser on the birth of a granddaughter, Amalia Emunah, born to Yona and Elazar Engel of Baltimore.
* Sima & Richard Soskin on the marriage of their daughter, Eliana, to Jesse Shkedy of Houston, Texas. Mazal Tov to Eliana's grandparents, Esther Rosen and Joan & Philip Soskin, and brother, Yonah. Mazal Tov to Jesse's parents, Linda & Clive Shkedy and the entire Shkedy family.
* Light Candles by 7:22, and not before 6:18
Ashkenazi: 6:30, 7:25 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:00, 7:20 Sephardi: 7:05 Nusach Sefard: 7:20
* Shabbos Ends: 8:20
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00, 9:15 Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* 8:45 Main Minyan/Sephardi Minyan – Abby & Chaim Tor in celebration of their children Natan Tor & Rachel Cohen's upcoming wedding and by Sima & Richard Soskin in honor of the marriage of Eliana to Jesse Shkedy.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, after Hashkamah Minyan, lower lobby.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 5:30 PM, Large Social Hall.
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 6:20 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual selfimprovement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony, will not meet on Friday, September 7.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash, will resume October 9. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evenings at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM. Choose from classes:
* On the Same Page with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Sage Advice with Rabbi Moshe Sadwin
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for Men and Women, Pearls of
Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sunday evenings in the Social Hall at 7:55 PM.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, email@example.com, 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Shaps – On The Same Page
* Tuesdays: Rabbi Winter – Torah Topics, will resume October 9.
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Grossman – Reading Responsa
* Thursdays: Rabbi Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah
* Tuesdays & Wednesdays: Shivti led by Rabbi Sussman. Rabbi
Grossman will be presenting weekly lectures on the weekly topic.
* For Women:
* Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Tehillim: An in-depth analysis – (begins October 8)
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM-7:25 AM & Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the room behind the Balcony.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men and women, Tuesday mornings 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women: Sefer Yonah, Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Succah, Wednesdays at 7:00 PM in the Social Hall, will resume in the fall.
YISE Programs and Listings
We welcome new members who were voted in at the last Board meeting: Aliza Blumenfeld & Dov Chodoff, Miriam & Moshe Horowitz, N'siah & Marnin Lebovits, Ilana & Yogev Moyal, Dina & Michael Rosenof, Yehudit & Meyer Shields, Brenah Srour & Avi Siegel, Rachel & Michael Sushner, and Sandie Thurman. Ashkenazi Selichos Schedule:
* Motzei Shabbos 12:55 AM – Remarks by Rabbi Rosenbaum followed by Selichos at 1:05 AM in the Belonofsky Sanctuary
* Sunday – Selichos followed by Shacharis: 6:00 AM in the Belonofsky Sanctuary. The other Minyanim do not have Selichos.
* Weekday Minyanim – Selichos followed by Shacharis Monday (Labor Day), 1st Minyan is in the Social Hall, 2nd &3rd Minyanim are in the Belonofsky Sanctuary. Tuesday through Friday, 1st & 3rd Minyanim are in the Social Hall and 2nd & 4th are in the Belonofsky Sanctuary.
Lost and Found – All items from the downstairs coatroom (including coats, keys, etc.) will be removed on Tuesday, September 4.
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish History on Monday, September 3 from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM at 1111 University Blvd. W. in the Penthouse. Light refreshments will be served. For more info, contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or firstname.lastname@example.org
The Challenge of Malchios: Clearing Away the Emotional Blocks – Pre-Rosh Hashanah BMZG Community Shiur for men and women with Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky. Tuesday, September 4, 8:00 PM in the Social Hall. For more information contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
High Holiday Seats – Letters were sent this past week with seat information and times of services for the Holidays. If you did not receive a letter and submitted your request, please send a note to email@example.com and a copy will be sent to you. Blank forms are in the box outside the Belonofsky Sanctuary and the Beis Medrash and also available on the YISE website at www.yise.org/seats
Tekiah, Shvarim, Truah – Will you or someone you know not hear those sounds this Rosh Hashanah because you can't get to Shul? To arrange for a Shofar blower to visit you at home, or to volunteer to blow shofar, in Kemp Mill, please call Aron Trombka, at 301-681-3025, or firstname.lastname@example.org
Senior Lunch – Wednesday, September 5, 12:00 Noon, Social Hall. "Rejoice" with Itzhak Perlman and Cantor Yitzchak Helfgot DVD.
Simchas Torah Learning for Women – YISE Women's Learning Initiative presents Simchas Torah morning learning for women with Mrs. Atara Rosenbaum, "Always Be Happy! But…", and Mrs. Rachel Kosowsky, "Our Covenant with Hashem: Conditional or Unconditional?" Simchas Torah, Tuesday, October 2, 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM in the Belonofsky Sanctuary. For more information, contact Judy Rosenthal at email@example.com or 301-754-0470.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. Please sign in to your Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill account because we have an immediate need. All the details are listed. If you are interested in helping out whenever you can, please contact Miriam Friedman at firstname.lastname@example.org or Melanie Karlin at email@example.com
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137. Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Member of YISE needs rides daily from Kemp Mill to the Hebrew Home in Rockville and back. Please contact Miriam Friedman at firstname.lastname@example.org or Melanie Karlin at email@example.com for more information.
Shomrai Preschool Job Opportunity
Do you love the idea of working with children in a warm, nurturing environment alongside a dedicated, talented staff, on a schedule that works for your lifestyle? Then being a substitute teacher at Shomrai Preschool is the perfect job for you! For more information and to apply, please contact Suri Kinzbrunnner at firstname.lastname@example.org
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Beis Medrash.
Please join us this week for groups:
2-5 year-olds 9:30 AM – end of 8:45 minyan in the youth room behind the Balcony.
1st-4th grade 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM at the Yeshiva. Walking group leaves at 10:00 AM. Girls meet in the main lobby. Boys meet outside the Social Hall.
Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur Babysitting will be offered for 2-10 year olds at $10 per child, per day from 10am-1pm. Spots are limited. Contact email@example.com to pay and reserve a spot. Questions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Shabbos Groups Director – Job Opportunity – The YISE Youth Committee is seeking a Shabbos Groups Director for Shabbos youth groups for the 2018- 2019 school year. Excellent communications skills and experience working with pre-school through school aged children are a necessity. For more information or to apply, email email@example.com
Sukkah Hop – Be a part of one of the most popular youth events of the year! Children are divided by age and gender, walk with teen leaders and enjoy a pareve, nut free, snack in your sukkah. Wanted: 20 families, within a few blocks of YISE, to open their sukkahs for our youth. Wanted: 10-12 teens to help lead a group to roughly 5 houses, and ending at the Ben Yehuda Sukkah.
Simchas Torah – Help us increase the simcha for our youth! Wanted: 4 teens to help with candy distribution in the evening. Wanted: 6 – 8 teens with lots of RUACH to lead "Simcha dancing" with our young children during Hakafos.
Community service hours are available for all teen leaders.
Contact Brett Kugler at firstname.lastname@example.org for more details and to sign up!
Community Programs and Listings
Pre-Selichos Community Leil Iyun for Women – Motzei Shabbos, September 1, at the YGW Girls Campus. 9:15 PM – doors open, 9:25 PM – 10:10 PM – 1st Session, 10:15 PM – 11:00 PM – 2nd Session. Open to women, alumnae and Talmidos in the community. To RSVP or for questions contact YGW office 301-962-5111 ext. 1500 or email@example.com
Is My Esrog a Lemon? – Join Kollel Zichron Amram of the Yeshiva and the Rosh HaYeshiva, Rav Ahron Lopiansky, for a morning of learning for men on Labor Day, Monday, September 3, at the YGW Boys Campus. 7:45 AM – Selichos & Davening, 9:00 AM – Breakfast, 9:40 AM – Chavrusa learning, 10:50 AM – 11:30 AM – Shiur by Rav Ahron Lopiansky. Sponsored by Yossi & Laura Goldman in honor of the Rosh HaYeshiva. For more information, contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Kemp Mill Toastmasters Fall Contest – Wednesday, September 5, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. Come see your friends & neighbors compete in the Table Topics Contest for impromptu speaking. Contact Debbie Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Pirchei is Coming! Calling all boys, first through sixth grade! Pirchei is starting this Shabbos, Parshas Ki Savo, September 1, in the classrooms at the Yeshiva, 4:00-4:55. See you there! To join our email list, contact Ranon Cortell or Pinchas Werner at email@example.com
Bikur Cholim Pre-Rosh Hashana Boutique – Monday, September 3, 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM at KMS. Featuring clothing, hats, serving accessories, jewelry and more! Raffle prizes. Light refreshments. For more information, contact Rhonda Lehman firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-351-1725. A percentage of all sales will benefit Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington.
Inspiration in the New Year – AMIT Birah Chapter of Greater Washington. Rabbi Michoel Frank of Kehilas Ohr HaTorah will speak at a private home in Kemp Mill on Tuesday, September 4 at 8:00 PM. Cost: $18. Contact AMIT at 410-484-2223 or Robbiep@amitchildren.org for more information
Men's Mikvah Use for High Holidays – The Mkvah Emunah Society is pleased to announce that The Wallerstein Mikvah, 913 Grays Lane, will qbe open for men's use on Erev Rosh Hashanah, Sunday September 9, and Erev Yom Kippur, Tuesday September 18, from 7:30 AM – 2:30 PM. Please arrive no later than 2:15 PM. Please bring your own towel. Showering before-hand would be appreciated and helpful. Fees: $20 each time for men; $10 each time for children and full-time students. Cash or checks only. Full Members of MES ($360 or more per year) are entitled to free use. Additional contributions to support MES are appreciated. Volunteers are needed: If you can help out on either day at the Wallerstein Mikvah, please contact Howie Schulman at email@example.com
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before Mincha.
Yom Tov Appeals Sustain Community Safety Nets – Two local foundations need your tax-deductible donations to meet increasing Yom Tov aid requests.
* Yad Yehuda provides critical assistance during the Yomim Tovim. Yad Yehuda's Tomchei Shabbos Program currently assists 600 individuals and families thoughout Greater Washington meet their daily and Shabbos needs. Your generous contribution will directly provide the extra help they need for the upcoming Yomim Tovim, enabling them to celebrate with the same Simchas Yom Tov that you enjoy in your own home. To learn more or to donate, please visit www.yadyehuda.org
* The Franco Foundation needs your tax-deductible donations to meet increasing Yom Tov aid requests. The Foundation helps with essentials, like rent, mortgage, and utilities; mail to Allan Franco, 613 Bromley Street or through Paypal to firstname.lastname@example.org
Learn Mishnah Brurah Hilchos Shabbos in 18 Months – Shiur for men with Rabbi Eli Reingold. Monday through Thursday, 8:00 – 8:45 PM at the Boys Yeshiva. Questions? Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Nedarim. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more info, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click ¡§Sign Up.¡¨
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
The Value of Modesty – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for women, based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT¡¨L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: gemachexchange.com
Help Us Refill the Shelves at Yad Yehuda's Capital Kosher Pantry – The shelves at Yad Yehuda's Capital Kosher Pantry are in serious need of replenishment. Are you able to donate some of these items?
Baking Ingredients: Pareve Chocolate Chips, Sugar, Cooking Oil, Olive Oil, Pareve Cake Mixes (e.g., Duncan Hines), Baking Soda, Baking Powder
Food Staples: Garbanzo Beans (chick peas), Pareve Granola Bars (e.g., Nature Valley), Rice Cakes, Pareve Circle Crackers, Mayonnaise, Pasta Sauce, Pizza Sauce, Whole Wheat Pasta (not spaghetti)
Shabbos Supplies: Grape Juice, Gefilte Fish, Yahrzeit Candles, Tea Lights
Not Needed Right Now: Honey Nut Cheerios, Canned Green Beans, Canned Corn, Oatmeal, Regular Pasta, Yams, Mustard
* Place your donations in any Capital Kosher Pantry box in most Shuls, Shalom Kosher, Moti's Market or on the porch of Yad Yehuda at 1910 University Blvd.
* Select items from the Capital Kosher Pantry shelves in Shalom Kosher and, after purchase, deposit them in the Yad Yehuda box in front of the registers.
* Shop online at Walmart or Amazon (info at yadyehudah.org ) and have the food shipped directly to the Capital Kosher Pantry.
Questions? Please call 301-842-7935 ext 706.
Help our Senior Neighbors – What if you had to give up your car keys and depend on someone else to get you where you needed to go? This is happening to more and more of our senior neighbors. Consider volunteering with the Senior Connection to drive seniors to medical appointments. Training and liability coverage are provided, and you can set your own volunteering schedule. For more information, contact email@example.com, call 301-962-0820 or visit www.seniorconnectionmc.org
The Week Ahead
Sunday September 2 Monday, Sept. 3 – Labor Day Tuesday September 4 Wednesday September 5 Thursday September 6 Friday September 7
Ashkenazi 6:00, 7:30, 8:45 6:00, 7:00, 8:45 6:00, 6:25, 7:00, 8:15 6:00, 6:25, 7:00, 8:15 5:45, 6:15, 7:00, 8:15 6:00, 6:25, 7:00, 8:15
Sephardi 7:30* 7:30* 6:10*, 7:15 6:10*, 7:15 6:00*, 7:15 6:10*, 7:15
Ashkenazi 7:20 7:20 7:20 7:20 7:20 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 7:15* 7:15* 7:15* 7:15* 7:15*
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 5:50 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:52 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:40 PM
* Sephardi Selichot 50 minutes before 1st Shacharit, 45 minutes before Mincha
September 7 – 8, 2018 – 28 Elul 5778
Light Candles by 7:11 – Havdalah 8:08
* Light Candles by 7:11, and not before 6:09
Ashkenazi: 6:30, 7:15 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:00, 7:10 Sephardi: 6:55 Nusach Sefard: 7:10
* Maariv/Havdalah: 8:08
Motzei Shabbos, Sept. 1 Shiur & Shirim for Selichos, 10:30 PM
Wednesday, September 5 Senior Lunch, 12 Noon, Social Hall
Sunday, September 16 Annual BBQ, 4:00 PM
Monday, September 17 Rabbi Frand Teshuva Drasha, 8:00 PM
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, September 5 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Office Hours: Closed Monday (Labor Day)
Tuesday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager
The YISE Meaningful Tefilah Project presents
In a Selichos Frame of Mind
Saturday, September 1, 10:30pm
Pre-Selichos program with refreshments, in the Young Israel Shomrai Emunah Social Hall, 1132 Arcola Ave.
This free community event is to help us prepare for the first night of Selichos and for the Yomim Noraim.
10:30pm – 11:30pm – L'David Ori – A close reading of Psalm 27, which we recite throughout the holiday period – a Shiur led by Ms. Sharon Freundel.
11:30pm – Refreshments
11:45pm – 12:45am – Community singing with live music from Hirsh Komarow and Yehoshua Sheininger, plus words of inspiration from Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum.
12:55am – Remarks by Rabbi Rosenbaum followed by Selichos at 1:05am in the Belonofsky Sanctuary
For more information, contact Stuart Rosenthal (301) 980-9557, firstname.lastname@example.org
Sponsors welcome at $18 & $36.
Lulavim and Esrogim
YISE is working this year with Josh Breitstein to bring you the finest quality Arba Minim sets.
Aleph $ 75
Beis $ 65
Gimmel $ 55
Chinuch $ 35
Complete details and order form at: www.yise.org/lulav
Order deadline: Friday September 7.
Pick up your order at YISE on Thursday, September 20 from 3:00pm 9:00pm.
Payment at pickup - check payable to Josh Breitstein or cash.
YISE Annual BBQ
Sunday, September 16th, 4 – 7 PM
At Kemp Mill Estates Local Park
120 Claybrook Drive
$10 per Adult
$5 per Child (ages 2 – 8)
Middle Eastern Style and American Style
YISE Youth Annual Kickoff Event
Treats and Prizes!
And much much more!!
RSVP and pay in advance at www.yise.org/bbq
For more information or to volunteer, please email email@example.com
Children's Entertainment provided by Services Squad
Please consider becoming a sponsor. All sponsorships come with a family admission.
Ketchup Level $250
Mustard Level $180
Relish Level $100
The Greater Washington Jewish Community is invited to
THE INSPIRING ANNUAL TESHUVA DRASHA
By World-renown lecturer
RABBI YISSOCHER FRAND
The night before Yom Kippur!
Monday night, September 17, 8:00 PM
Men and women are invited.
For more information, please contact Rabbi Avraham Rappaport 443-790-6541