Parashas Ki Savo – August 23-24, 2013
Download the August 23-24, 2013 Shabbos Shorts [PDF]
Sign up to get the Shabbos Shorts emailed to you each week
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
August 23-24, 2013 – 18 Elul 5773 – Parshas Ki Savo
Light Candles by 7:33 (and not before 6:29) – Havdalah 8:32
* Light Candles by 7:33, and not before 6:29
* Mincha 6:15 (Arcola Social Hall), 6:45, 7:00 (Univ., Nusach Sefard and Sephardi), 7:15 (Youth – Arcola Social Hall), 7:35
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 5:00, 7:15 (Sephardi), 7:30 (Arcola and Univ.)
* Maariv/Havdalah 8:32
* Sephardi Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Barry Greengart
* 8:45 Minyan Rabbi Yehuda Shinensky
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* 8 AM Minyan – "The Chevra"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – The Danesh Family in honor of Rachamin Akeeva's Bar Mitzvah.
* R' Pinchas Werner – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan (in the Lobby).
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 6:30 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur at 7:00 PM
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha at University.
* Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM-6:45 AM, Arcola Social Hall.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays following Mincha/Maariv at University.
* Greater Washington Community Kollel:
* Linas Hatzedek – Business Ethics – Join us as we continue the fascinating topic of "Dina D'malchusa Dina: The Intersection ofJewish and Secular Law." Sunday mornings at 9:30 AM.
* Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster independent Gemara proficiency. Thursdays, following Mincha/ Maariv.
Welcome to Rabbi Binyamin Silver
Our new Assistant Rabbi will begin his tenure with YISE as of the middle of October 2013. Rabbi & Mrs. Silver have also happily agreed to spend Rosh Hashanah in our community. We look forward to welcoming them at that time.
* Florence & Joel Avigan on the birth of a great-granddaughter, Malka, to their grandchildren, Esti & Natan Barzel of Modiin, Israel. Also Mazal Tov to the entire Mishpocha.
* The Danesh Family on the Bar Mitzvah of Rachamin Akeeva.
* Marilyn & Jonathan Fine on the birth of a grandson, Yakir Chananel, to their children, Tamara & Aron Skversky of Jerusalem. Also, a belated Mazal Tov on the birth of a grandson, Uriel Noam, to their children, Rishona & Yaron Shaul of Jerusalem.
* Mira & Marc Greenberg on the birth of a son. Mazal Tov to the grandparents Nancy & Charles Greenberg and Donna & Geoff Rosenbloom. The Shalom Zachar will take place on Friday night at 806 Kersey Road at 9:00 PM.
* Arleeta & Rabbi Dr. Ivan Lerner on the marriage of their grandson Akiva Miller, son of D'vorah & Rabbi Shmuel Miller of Cape Town (formerly Boston) to Sara Tova Snider daughter of Ruth (Glasner) & Mordechai Snider of Baltimore. Mazal Tov also to grandparents Ilene & Henry Miller of Pisget Zeev, and great-grandmother Dena Gerber of Baltimore.
* Sarah & David Maslow on the Bat Mitzvah of their granddaughter, Gabriella Rena Lebowitz, daughter of Aleeza & Rabbi Natanel Lebowitz of Ramat Bet Shemesh.
* Passing of long-time member Marcia Goodman, mother of member Aharon Goodman. The funeral took place on Monday. Shiva will be observed at 7732 Fontaine Street, Potomac, 301-299-6668, through Sunday morning. Shacharis on Sunday at 8:00.
YISE Programs and Listings
YISE Sisterhood Women's Seudah Shlishit – This Shabbos afternoon, August 24, from 4:30 PM – 6:30 PM, in the YISE Arcola Social Hall. The theme of the Seudah is "New Beginnings." Attendees will enjoy Pareve "first foods" while meeting and mingling with other women from the community. A summer-themed Dvar Torah by Aviva Werner on the topic of "Getting Off to a Good Start" will follow. Desserts and drinks will conclude the program. All women are welcome and encouraged to attend! (We kindly request no children under the age of 12 years old.)
YISE Social Committee Baseball Game – Bowie Baysox vs. New Britain Rock Cats, Sunday, August 25 at 2:05 PM. Tickets are $10. For tickets please contact Joshua Obstfeld, firstname.lastname@example.org
YISE Together-for-5 – Resumes this Monday, August 26!!! Join us for a series running through the Aseres Yemei Teshuvah of audio Shiurim by Rabbi Rosenbaum focusing on Themes of the High Holiday Prayers. For more info, visit www.yise.org/together-for-5.
Taking Stock on the Quality of a Mitzvah – Rabbi Lopiansky's Pre-Rosh HaShanah Shiur for men and women will take place on Tuesday, August 27 at the Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah program following Mincha/Maariv. For more information please contact Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
High Holiday Preparations:
* Ticket Information – Letters containing information about reserved seats for the Holidays will be mailed at the beginning of next week. If you have reserved a seat and have not received a letter by mid-week, please send an e-mail to email@example.com.
* Setup – Volunteers needed to move books, chairs, mechitzas, etc. Sign-ups helpful, walk-ins welcome: University – Wednesday, September 4, and Friday, September 13, mornings (10:00 AM to 11:00 AM); contact Harry Felsen firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-593-5745. Arcola – Sunday, September 1, one or two people 10:00 AM to 12:00 Noon, big crew 1:00 PM to 5:00 PM; part time is OK; contact email@example.com or 301-919-5974.
* Lulavim and Esrogim – Once again, YISE will be selling as a fundraiser to support the Shul, through Eli Chai's. Orders can be made at www.yise.org/lulav or by calling the shul office. Sign up now and support YISE! This offer ends on September 11.
Lost and Found – Unclaimed clothing and other items have been collected in the downstairs coat room. They will be removed on Wednesday, August 28.
Job Assist Events:
* Computer Training Online – (1) Quickbooks—Intermediate, Monday, Aug. 26, and (2) SQL, Tuesday, Aug. 27. Information and register at www.oujobs.org.
NEW! The Youth Minyan will now offer weekly Friday evening Davening. Please join us this Friday for the Youth Minyan's first Friday night Minyan ever at 7:15 PM in the large social hall for our familyfriendly minyan.
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony. Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up your child(ren) promptly.
Starting next Shabbos (August 31) regular groups will resume and Girls 1st-4th grade will also be going to the Yeshiva.
Community Programs and Listings
The Women's Discussion Group will meet 5:00 PM at the home of Mrs. Klavan, 1006 Lamberton Drive. We will be reading "The Garden of Emunah."
Yeshiva of Greater Washington Events:
* Yovel, Shofar and Redemption: A Reflection on the Cycle of Jewish Life – A special presentation for men and women with Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky, Shlit"a, Rosh Yeshiva, Yeshiva Gedolah. Shabbos, August 31, 3:30 PM – 4:30 PM in the YISE Belonofsky Sanctuary. For more information: Rabbi Binyamin Sanders, firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-962-5111 ext. 1510.
* 50th Anniversary Kick-Off Event – Sunday, September 1. "A Look Back BBQ, " featuring the famous "Archaeology" Rabbi, R' Shimon Deutsch, of The Living Torah Museum. 12:30 PM – 3:00 PM. YGW Girls Campus. For more information contact Donna Goldman, email@example.com or 301-962-5111 ext. 1552.
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington invites you to a Pre Rosh HaShanah Boutique, Wednesday, August 28, 5:00 PM – 9:00 PM at the home of Golda & Marty Jacobs, 508 Stonington Road. For details go to www.bikurcholimgw.org.
The Golden Network Presents: "High Holidays – A Journey to Love" – By Rabbi Shmuel Leigh. Thursday, August 29, 9:00 AM, Shacharis at 8:00. Woodside Synagogue – Ahavas Torah. For more information: 301-338-4810, firstname.lastname@example.org or goldennetwork.org.
An Evening of Inspiration – The Greater Washington Community Kollel invites the community to a Pre-Rosh Hashana Symposium featuring words of insight and inspiration from Rabbis of our community. September 2, 8:15 PM, at the Kollel,10900 Lockwood Dr. See gwckollel.org for more info.
High Holy Days Appeal – The Franco Foundation helps individuals and families pay for basic needs as they face a tough economy or manage with tragic emergencies. Please send your generous taxdeductible donation to the Franco Foundation c/o Allan Franco, 613 Bromley Street or through Paypal, at the email@example.com. You can also refer cases to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Shofar Blowing – If you are able to blow shofar or need to have shofar blown for you (at home), please contact Aron Trombka at email@example.com or 301-681-3025.
Shabbos and Yom Tov Program – Tough times are driving more people for financial assistance from the Tomchei Shabbos and Yom Tov program of the Yehudah Mond Foundation. For details on contributing by phone, mail, or internet go to http://yehudamondfoundation.org/recurring_donations.asp.
Professional Clothing Drive – Donate your gently used professional clothes and accessories. Help men & women literally suit up for the office. For more information contact: firstname.lastname@example.org. The Warwick Sukkah is back! New location by the pool deck. Volunteers needed for set up and take down. Please contact email@example.com or 301-593-4161.
Over 50 and looking for work? The JCA is offering five new sessions of The Career Gateway. This program comprises 30 hours of small-group instruction for only $75! The first session begins September 23. For more information, contact Ellen Greenberg at 301-255-4215 or egreenberg@AccessJCA.org.
AMIT is selling beautiful New Year's cards at $2.50 each. Please call Esther Edeson at 301-593-1468.
The Week Ahead
Sunday, August 25 Monday, August 26 Tuesday, August 27 Wednesday, August 28 Thursday, August 29 Friday, August 30
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
University 8:00 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Sephardi 7:30 6:05 6:15 6:15 6:05 6:15
Arcola 7:30 7:30 7:30 7:30 7:30 See Shabbos schedule
University 7:30 N/A N/A 7:30 N/A
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 5:42 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:50 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:44 PM
August 30-31, 2013 – 25 Elul 5773
Parshas Nitzavim / Vayeilech
Light Candles by 7:23 – Havdalah 8:21
* Light Candles by 7:23, and not before 6:20
* Mincha 6:10 (Arcola Social Hall), 6:30, 7:00 (Univ., Nusach Sefard and Sephardi), 7:10 (Youth – Arcola Social Hall), 7:25
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 5:00, 7:05 (Sephardi), 7:20 (Arcola and Univ.)
* Maariv/Havdalah 8:21
Shabbos, August 24 Bar Mitzvah of Rachamin Akeeva Danesh, Sephardic Minyan
Shabbos, August 24 YISE Sisterhood Women's Seudah Shlishit
Sunday, August 25 YISE Social Committee Baseball Game
Monday, August 26 The Man With The Truck , Arcola 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM
Shabbos, August 31 Aufruf of Yoni Mehlman, 8:45 Minyan
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, August 28, at 12 noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Dr. Marc Katz – President
Alan Zimmerman – Executive Director