Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
April 25-26, 2014 – 26 Nissan 5774 – Parshas Kedoshim – Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 7:37 (and not before 6:30) – Havdalah 8:39
* Light Candles by 7:37, and not before 6:30
* Mincha 6:40, 7:00 (Sephardi, Nusach Sefard) 7:15 (Univ.), 7:40
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 5:00, 7:00 (Sephardi), 7:35 (Univ.), 7:10 (Arcola & Nusach Sefard)
* Maariv/Havdalah 8:39
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Silver
* University Rabbi Barry Greengart
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* 8:00 Minyan – Lucy & Bernie Blitzstein on the Yahrzeit of Lucy's mother, Maryse Benisti (Maisy Ida Bas Shimon, Z"L) and Bernie's father, Nathan Blitzstein (Nissan Ben Shaul, Z"L), Laurie & Stuart Cohen on the first Yahrzeit of Stuart's mom, Roberta Cohen (Chaya Rochel Bas Yehudah Laib, Z"L), and Mindy & Shmuel Tolchinsky, Simi & Sammy Franco, and Jerry Rottenberg on the third Yahrzeit of their father, Melvin Rottenberg (Menachem Mendel Ben Tzvi Yehuda, Z"L.)
* University – "Mevorchim Hachodesh"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 6:10 PM.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 6:15 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Esther Becker on the birth of two great-grandchildren, Eliana Geula Wolk and Ilan Menachem Zurndorfer.
* Laurie & Stuart Cohen on the birth of a grandson, Eliahu Mayer, to their children, Chava & Yitzchok (Benji) Bernstein of Baltimore.
* Linda & Mike Kaiser on the engagement of their son, Aaron, to Leah Whitehill of Los Angeles.
* Martha & Ed Karl and family on the engagement of their son Yaron to Robin Winters, daughter of Harold & Gilda Winters of Bergenfield, NJ.
* Arleeta & Rabbi Ivan Lerner on the birth of a greatgranddaughter born to Adina (Lerner) & Shuey Goldstein of Baltimore. Mazal Tov to grandparents Alyson & Rabbi Daniel Lerner of Baltimore, and Devorah & Yaakov Goldstein of Baltimore and to great-grandparents Joan & Dr. Jonathan Pincus, of Washington, DC, Rochel Schwartzbaum of Bayit Vegan and Eileen & Yisroel Goldstein of Jericho, NY. Mazal Tov to great-greatgrandmother Dena Lerner Gerber of Baltimore.
* Marion & Bernie Muller on the engagement of their son, Moshe, to Marlena Grossman, daughter of Caren & David Grossman of Silver Spring.
* Lewis Sosnowik on the Bar Mitzva of his grandson, Yosef Sosnowik, son of Daniel Sosnowik. The Bar Mitzva took place in NYC on Shabbos Hagadol.
* Linda & Ed Zurndorfer on the birth of a grandson, Ilan Menachem, to Jenny & David Zurndorfer of West Hempstead, NY. Mazal Tov to Ilan's great-grandmother, Esther Becker, and to all the aunts, uncles, cousins and extended family.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy on the passing of this grandson, Elisha Baruch Tuvia Zimmerman, son of Dina & Uri Zimmerman. The funeral took place in Chicago on Sunday. Shiva is being held in Chicago through Monday morning.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Haftoros Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver's Halacha Shiur for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM, in the Social Hall, part of the Beis Medrash Zichron Gedaliah Program, is currently studying the Halachos of Tefillah.
* Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Beis Medrash Zichron Gedaliah for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM at University.
* Greater Washington Community Kollel:
* Linas Hatzedek – Business Ethics – Continuing the topic "Business on Shabbos" – Sunday mornings at 9:30 AM.
* Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency – will resume on May 1.
YISE Programs and Listings
The Fourth Annual Siyum Tanach in Memory of Rav Anemer ZT"L will be held at a Shalosh Seudos this Shabbos, April 26:
* Welcome: Bob Levi, Chairman of the Board of the National Council of Young Israel, and Co-Chair of YISE Adult Education Committee
* On Behalf of Those Who Studied Tanach: Nathan Franco (son of Steven & Shirlee)
* Completion of Mesechet Succah: Judah Lifschitz
* Final Remarks: Rabbi Rosenbaum
* Please help defray the cost of this community-wide event by being a sponsor (Suggested contribution $36). Call the YISE office at 301-593-4465 ext. 403 or email@example.com to sponsor.
* We have arranged, through our Youth Department, for groups for children to coincide with the Siyum. Age-appropriate activities will be conducted during the Siyum.
* Volunteers are needed: Shabbos afternoon before the Seudah to set up, starting at 5:30 PM and following the Seudah to clean up. To volunteer, please contact Barbara Price at (301) 332-8181 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Annual Yom Hashoah Program – Monday, April 28, 7:30 PM at KMS. The featured speaker is Mr. Leon Merrick. Leon Merrick was born in Poland in 1926. After the Nazi invasion of Poland, Leon and his family were moved into the Lodz ghetto in 1940. After four years in the ghetto, he survived forced labor in Poland, and was then moved to the Buchenwald and Flossenbürg concentration camps. As the Allies approached, Mr. Merrick was sent on a death march until he was liberated by the Americans on April 23, 1945. Shortly afterward, Leon immigrated to the United States, and served in the US Army. Leon's wife, Nina, is also a Holocaust survivor. Children grade 5 and older are encouraged to attend. Co-sponsored by the MJBHA, SSJC and YGW. Special Mincha at 7:10. Maariv will follow the program.
Announcing a New Halacha Shiur for Women – Rabbi Rosenbaum is starting a monthly women's Halacha Shiur. The first one will be next Sunday, May 4 at 8:30 PM at the home of Bayla Goodman, 11527 Monticello Ave. The topic will be warming food on Shabbos.
Like YISE on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/YIShomraiEmunah
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Post Pesach Particulars
Chometz may be purchased from the following stores immediately after Pesach 2014: All Capitol K establishments and caterers. National stores: BJ's Wholesale Club, Costco Wholesale, CVS pharmacy, Food Lion, Kmart, Mars Super Market, Petco, PetSmart, Rite Aid, Royal Farms, Sam's Club, Save-A-Lot, Shoppers Food and Pharmacy, Trader Joe's, Walgreens, Walmart, Wegmans, Winn-Dixie. Stores in our community: Brookville Market, H Mart, Harris Teeter, MOM's Organic Market, Potomac Wines and Spirits, ShopRite of White Oak, Whole Foods Market
Chometz may NOT be purchased from the following stores immediately after Pesach 2014: Giant, Safeway, Sniders, Target. Chometz may be purchased beginning four weeks after Pesach, Wednesday, May 21.
Thank You – The Shul expresses its thanks to Matan and Edan Friedman, Avrumie Linfield, and Moshe Mehlman for their help in conducting the Bedikas Chometz in the Arcola Shul on Erev Pesach this year. Your participation is greatly appreciated.
YISE Nursery Announcements
YISE Nursery presents Torah for Tots – Friday mornings from 9:30 AM to 10:45 AM. $10 per class. Classes through May 16. Register at email@example.com or 301 593-7365.
YISE Nursery presents Camp Shomrai 2014 – Download camp forms at http://nursery.yise.org/forms/ or contact 301-593-7365 or firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
YISE Nursery registration for school year 2014-2015 – Call 301-593-7365 with questions or to make an appointment for a tour.
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the YGW Beis Medrash – Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, Shabbos 1 1/2 hours before regular Mincha, and Sunday at 6:30 AM.
Rabbi Yehoshua Levy's Shiurim on Alshich 8:45 AM – 9:45 AM and Gemara Pesachim 9:45 AM – 11:00 AM, Monday through Friday at 609 Hyde Road. Walkins welcome. For more information, email@example.com or 240-423-8810.
Bnei Akiva Silver Spring Snif this Shabbos, April 26 from 6:20 PM to 7:20 PM at KMS. Walking groups will leave YISE at 5:55 PM.
Kemp Mill Pirchei – For boys, first through sixth grade in the Yeshiva classrooms, Shabbos afternoons, 4:00 PM – 4:55 PM. If you're interested in sponsoring, please contact, firstname.lastname@example.org .
Tehillim – Wednesday mornings. Contact Arleeta Lerner for details 301-649-0552.
Shaimos Alert – YU Pesach To-Go 5774 contains Shaimos on page 13 (and possibly other pages)
Adult Softball – Starts on April 27 at 10:00 AM (Jewish time) at Colesville Rec Center (Hobbes Dr. off New Hampshire Ave). For directions or questions contact Ira Thompson, 240-997-4209 or email@example.com
Woodside Synagogue's Annual Yom HaShoah Program – Sunday, April 27, 7:30 PM – 9:00 PM. This year we are pleased to show the documentary, "50 Children: An Ordinary American Couple's Extraordinary Rescue Mission into the Heart of Nazi Germany." This documentary film tells a dramatic story that has never been told before — how one courageous couple saved the lives of 50 children on the eve of the Holocaust. This movie is recommended for Bar/Bat Mitzvah ages and older.
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, April 30th at 7:00 PM – 8:00 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Educational Forum with Candidates for Delegate in District 19 – Join OU Advocacy-Maryland for an educational forum, Thursday May 1, 7:30 PM, in the YISE Arcola Social Hall. Meet the candidates and learn about their positions on issues important to you and the Jewish community, such as state funding for non-public schools. Mincha at 7:15 PM, Maariv following program.
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on topics in Jewish History, Monday May 5, from 1:30 PM – 2:30 PM at 1111 University Blvd. W., apt. 215. Light refreshments will be served. For information, please contact Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517 or email@example.com.
The Week Ahead
Sunday, April 27 Monday, April 28 Tuesday, April 29 Wed., April 30 – Rosh Chodesh Thurs., May 1 – Rosh Chodesh Friday, May 2
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:10, 6:35, 7:35, 8:30 6:10, 6:35, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
University 8:00 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Sephardi 7:30 6:05 6:15 6:00 6:00 6:15
Arcola 7:45 7:45 7:45 7:45 7:45 See Shabbos schedule
University N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 5:19 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:36 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:41 PM
May 2-3, 2014 – 3 Iyar 5774
Light Candles by 7:43 – Havdalah 8:47
* Light Candles by 7:43, and not before 6:36
* Mincha 6:45, 7:00 (Sephardi, Nusach Sefard) 7:15 (Univ.), 7:45
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 5:00, 7:25 (Sephardi), 7:40 (Arcola & Univ.)
* Maariv/Havdalah 8:47
Shabbos, April 26 Siyum Tanach after Mincha
Monday, April 28 Annual Yom Hashoah Program, at KMS
Tuesday, May 6 Elzee's, 11:30 AM to 9:00 PM, Arcola Social Hall
Wednesday, May 7 Senior Lunch, 12:00 Noon, Arcola Social Hall
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, April 30, at 12 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Dr. Marc Katz – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director