Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shuvah Shorts
September 22 – 23, 2023 – 8 Tishrei 5784 – Parashas Haazinu/Shabbos Shuvah
Light Candles by 6:47 – Havdalah 7:44
September 24 – 25, 2023 – 10 Tishrei 5784 – Yom Kippur
Light Candles by 6:44 – Havdalah 7:41
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored anonymously in gratitude to Isaac Moses for all of the endless hours he devoted to seating for Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur,
and by Marc & Debbie Katz to express their heartfelt appreciation to our wonderful community for the many Tefillos offered on behalf of their newborn granddaughter, Chaya Bracha. Your Tefillos were a tremendous source of comfort and strength and, Baruch Hashem, she is doing better.
The YISE Communications Committee hopes you are enjoying the shorter Shabbos Shorts! Have a comment or suggestion? Please send us your feedback at email@example.com
B = Belonofsky Sanctuary, S = Social Hall, LBM = Large Beis Medrash, SBM = Small Beis Medrash, H = The House
* Mincha: 6:50 (B), 6:30 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi, LBM), 9:15 (Teen, H)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 6:15 (B), 6:05 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shabbos Shuvah Drasha (B): 6:40
* Shabbos ends/Maariv: 7:44
* Hashkamah Minyan Gemara Shiur (SBM) Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Kedushas Levi Chabura – 8:55 (S) Rabbi Postelnek
* Shabbos Shuvah Drasha (B) – 6:40 (B) Rabbi Rosenbaum
Yom Kippur Schedule
* Mincha: 3:00 (B, S), 3:00 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Kol Nidre: 6:45 (B, S), 6:40 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shacharis: 8:00 (B, S), 8:00 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Yizkor: No earlier than 10:45 (B, S)
* Mincha: 4:50 (B), 4:40 (S), 4:30 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Yom Kippur ends: 7:41
* Barbara & Mel Ciment on the recent marriage of their granddaughter Rebecca Shoshana Ciment, daughter of Aimee & Daniel Ciment of Engelwood, NJ, to Eitan Zwebner, son of Felicia Zwebner of Englewood, NJ, and Moshe Zwebner of Teaneck, NJ.
* Lois & Sid Meyers on the birth of a great-granddaughter, Zehava Golda Strauss. Mazal Tov to parents Yehudis & Shimon Strauss of Lakewood, NJ, and to grandparents Jessica & Rabbi Yekusiel Strauss of Fallsburg, NY
YISE Youth Announcements
Teen Minyan – The Teen Minyan, led by Rabbi Moshe Holzer, 9:15 in The House, followed by Kiddush.
Shabbos Groups this Shabbos, September 23, from 10:00 AM until Shul ends.
* Toddler Group (under 3 with a parent) – in the Toddler Room in the Lower Lobby.
* Kinder Group (3 to 5) – upstairs in the room behind the balcony
* Boys ages 6 – 9 & Girls ages 6 – 9 meet in the Lower Lobby and walk to the Yeshiva.
* 5th and 6th grade girls – meet in the Lower Lobby and walk to the Yeshiva.
* Jr. Congregation for 4th to 6th grade boys – in The House.
For more information, contact Sharon Shimoff at firstname.lastname@example.org
Sukkah Hop – We are looking for a few more houses for our Shul Sukkah hop routes. Please email email@example.com if you can help.
Childcare on Yom Kippur for those who registered, is on Monday 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM and 4:45 PM – 7:45 PM. If you have not registered yet but are davening at YISE and are interested in babysitting for your child(ren), email firstname.lastname@example.org
See flyers for Sukkos and Simchas Torah Youth events at YISE.
* Seating Assignments for Yom Kippur were sent out by email on Tuesday night. Contact email@example.com with any questions, concerns, or last-minute reservations.
* Lulavim & Esrogim – Pickup at YISE on Wednesday, September 27, 4:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the Social Hall. If you have any questions about your order, contact Josh Breitstein at firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-346-7838.
* Help build the YISE Sukkah – Volunteers are needed to help build the Shul Sukkah on Wednesday, September 27, at 4:45pm. The rain date is Thursday, September 28. Contact Stuart Cohen at 301-943-5153 with any questions.
* Sukkos Hospitality – If you have a Sukkah and can host guests, let us know the meals you are available to host and any other specifics or questions. If you are looking for a meal to join over Yom Tov, please also contact us. Email email@example.com or call or text 301-476-3237 by Friday, September 22. Thank you!
* Simchas Torah Day Learning for Women – Simchas Torah morning, Sunday, October 8, 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM with Mrs. Sharon Freundel and Mrs. Atara Rosenbaum. See flyer for details.
* Coatroom Cleanup – The coat racks in the upper lobby and the lower lobby coatroom have been reorganized. "Lost and Found" items have been moved to the coat rack by the washing stand in the upper lobby. Please claim andremove your items. We will dispose of unclaimed items in the next few weeks.
* YISE Logo Contest – Calling all graphic designers! YISE is looking for a logo to celebrate 75 years of YISE, 1951 -2026, and 50 years in the Arcola building, 1974 – 2024. Send entries to firstname.lastname@example.org See flyer for details.
* New Welcoming Committee! If you would like to welcome a new person or family to your Shabbos table and the YISE community, email email@example.com with the subject "happy to welcome" and we will contact you for details.
* Mazal Tov on the Birth of Your Son or Daughter! YISE can help organize meals. Contact Miriam Levson at 901-481-7133 or firstname.lastname@example.org or Rose Blynn at 410-522-8624 or email@example.com Send details to firstname.lastname@example.org
* Happy Birthday! Happy Anniversary! Want to celebrate a Birthday or Anniversary? Please email email@example.com details. Thank you for your support.
* Seeking Shalosh Seudos Sponsors for the next few months. Sponsorships start at $375. To sponsor, contact Simi Franco at 301-593-4465, ext. 103, or firstname.lastname@example.org or Ethan Cohen at email@example.com Contact Ethan Cohen tovolunteer to set up and clean up. The following dates are not available due to the holidays: 9/30, and 10/7.
* Online YISE Cholim List – Go to https://wp.yise.org/cholim to add a name to the list. The list is used at the 8:45 Minyan on Monday, Thursday, and Shabbos. For questions about Mi Sheberach guidelines, contact RabbiRosenbaum. For other questions, contact Seth Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org
* Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill, a part of YISE's Chesed Committee, provides assistance to families undergoing medical crises. If you do not have a Helping Hands account, or if you have any questions, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org
* Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at https://audio.yise.org
Thank you to the Shabbos Shiurim Sponsors for this Past Week:
Hashkamah Minyan Gemara Shiur – David Jaray in honor of Rabbi Grossman and all those who attend his Shiur and by Michael Hourwitz in honor of Rabbi Grossman and all of the Talmidim who attend his shiur and in memory of Michael's family members in whose memory the learning has been dedicated.
Rabbi Rosenbaum's Shabbos Shuvah Drasha – Marilyn & Judah Lifschitz, Mrs. Judy Rosenbaum & Rabbi Roy Rosenbaum to commemorate the Yahrzeit of Judy's mother, Leah Mann, Rochel Leah Bas Harav Eliyahu Chaim, Z"L, whose Yahrzeit actually takes place on Shabbos Shuvah this year.
Want to sponsor a Shabbos or weekday Shiur? Please email email@example.com for details. Thank you for your support
The Week Ahead
Sunday, Sept. 24 – Erev Yom Kippur
Monday, Sept. 25 – Yom Kippur
Halachic Times: Latest Alos Hashachar 5:44 AM, Earliest Talis and Tefilin: 6:11 AM, Latest Netz: 7:04 AM, Latest Krias Shema: 9:58 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:31 PM, Earliest Shkia: 6:52 PM, Latest Tzeis Hacochavim 7:42 PM
Sukkos – Sept. 29 – Oct. 1, 2023 – 15 – 16 Tishrei 5784
Friday Night: Light candles: 6:36, Mincha: 6:40 (B), 6:25 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Mincha: 2:30 (B), 6:35 (B), 6:30 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Maariv: 7:05 (B)
* Light candles/Kiddush after: 7:33
* Shacharis: 7:00 (B), 8:45 (B), 9:15 (S), 8:00 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Mincha: 6:40 (B), 6:35 (Sephardi, LBM)
* Maariv/Yom Tov ends: 7:31
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline:
Wednesday, September 27, at 12 Noon
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 Email: email@example.com
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum
Rabbi Yosef Postelnek – Assistant Rabbi
Josh Seidemann – President
Simi Franco – Office Manager
Josh Breitstein – Facility Manager
Weekday and Community Announcements
Upcoming Community Programs & Listings
Erev Yom Tov Mikvah for Men – The Mikvah Emunah Society of Greater Washington (MES) is pleased to offer use of the Wallerstein Mikvah in Kemp Mill to men, on Erev Yom Kippur. Volunteers are needed as well. Please see https://mikvahemunah.com/men for all of the info. Thank you!
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, September 27, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM, on Zoom. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator. Contact Manasseh Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. Zoom Meeting ID: 986 546 841, Passcode: 3671
Simchas Bais Hashoeiva – Monday, October 2, at the YGW Boys' Division, 1216 Arcola Avenue. Live music, Rita's truck, cotton candy. 8:30 PM dancing, 9:45 Divrei Torah from Rabbi Merkin, followed by Maariv.
Franco Foundation Rosh Hashana/Yom Kippur Community Appeal – Make your tax-deductible donations via PayPal to email@example.com Zelle 202-422-1021 or mail your check to The Franco Foundation, 613 Bromley Street, Silver Spring. MD 20902. Thank you!
Yad Yehuda Yomim Nora'im Appeal – Yad Yehuda expects to spend over $120,000 to assist hundreds of individuals across our community from Rosh Hashanah to Sukkot. We will provide food, financial help, lulav/etrog sets, and more, in a dignified and confidential manner to ensure that our neighbors in need can enjoy the holidays free from financial strain. Please give generously! Donate online at www.yadyehuda.org/donate
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington Elul Campaign – BCGW is here for you whether you have an urgent medical need or need long term help. Your gift translates into kosher food in our area's Bikur Cholim hospital kosher pantries and respite rooms in our area.Your support means that patients and families who are receiving medical treatments at NIH, area hospitals, and treatment centers can stay at the Bernard Creeger Bikur Cholim House. Your donation means borrowing necessary and otherwise expensive medical equipment, receiving free transportation to medical appointments, or accessing social support. Thanks to you BCGW provides emergency grants to help pay for medical, mental health and dental bills. Please donate at https://causematch.com/bikurcholimgw
Four Kabbalistic Secrets for Enduring Relationships in a Modern World – Join the Mikvah Emunah Society as we welcome renowned speaker Rivka Slonim to speak to the women of our community on Wednesday, October 18, at 8:00 PM at Chabad of Silver Spring. This event is part of the Robin Niman Mikvah Education Fund and is free to attend, but RSVPs are required and sponsorships are welcomed. For more details, visit https://mikvahemunah.com and click on "Events". Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Dirshu – Join Kollel Dirshu of Silver Spring, now studying Maseches Bava Basra, at YGW. Daily morning shiur by Rabbi Eli Reingold at 5:45 AM and evening shiur by Ranon Cortell and Pinchas Werner at 9:00 PM. Chavrusas also available during these times. For more info. and to join our program, contact Hirsh Komarow 301-633-6262 or email@example.com
Lisa Landy Memorial Fund – Lisa devoted the better part of the last three decades teaching pre-schoolers in Jewish schools in the Washington, DC area. Lisa was a staunch advocate of the Reggio Emilia teaching approach, which encourages students to direct their own learning and fosters their independent thinking and self-confidence. The Lisa Landy Memorial Fund was established to train teachers in local Jewish schools in the Reggio method. To make a taxdeductible donation or for more information, contact Eli Landy at 301-401-9475 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Recurring Community Programs & Listings
Join the Buddy Network – Do you live alone and want a buddy? Do you want to volunteer to be a buddy? Have a buddy check in during extreme weather or power outages. Make sure you have the basic necessities when you can't get out. Register at https://goldennetwork.org/buddynetwork For more info. call 301-732-1773 or email email@example.com
Rays of Wisdom – Life Lessons From Pirkei Avos – Greater Washington Community Kollel invites women of the community to a weekday morning text-based Chaburah led by Mrs. Channah Cohen. Mondays at 10:00 AM at the home of Mrs. Aviva Werner, 815 Lamberton Drive. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 773-219-5397. Pirkei Avos: Ethics for Everyday Living – presented by Rabbi Hillel Shaps on Zoom. Wednesdays, 12:15 PM – 1:00 PM. For Zoom info and registration go to https://linksgw.org/classes
Zoom Shiurim with Rabbi Levy – Monday through Friday on Zoom, Meeting ID: 636 563 5989. Alshich – 9:20 AM – 10:15 AM. Gemara Ribit 10:15 AM – 11:30 AM. Hilchot Lashon Hara 12:45 PM – 1:45 PM.
TGN Program: Siddur Class – In-Depth Analysis of the Siddur with Mrs. Esther Dziadek, Wednesday mornings, 9:00 AM to 10:00 AM, on Zoom B. For more information, call 301-732-1773 or email email@example.com
YGW Kollel Zichron Amram Machshava – Probing Jewish Thought Through the Works of Rav Yitzchak Hutner, ZT"L, with Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold, Rosh Kollel, Sundays at 8:00 PM on Zoom, Meeting ID: 825 0731 6850, Passcode: 1216613. For more information, contact Rabbi Moshe Chaim Blate at firstname.lastname@example.org
Newly married? Growing family? Just need a budget check-up? IZUN is a community resource that provides free and confidential coaching to help you examine your budget and achieve financial stability. Go to https://getizun.org or email us at email@example.com
Daf Yomi Shiur currently meets at the YGW Boys' Campus. Weekdays also online via a WebEx video conference. Anyone interested may email Judd Lifschitz at firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the invite list. Sunday 8:30 AM, Monday – Thursday 8:45 PM. Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before the latest YISE Mincha.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: www.gemachexchange.com
Options for in-person and remote learning are listed below. For the latest list and times, go to: https://wp.yise.org/remote-learning-schedule/
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, Zoom A, will resume on Sunday, October 22.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Daily – one chapter of Tehillim followed by a 15-minute Shiur on the Parsha. Monday through Friday, 9:30 AM, Zoom A, will not meet on Monday, September 25.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM, Zoom A.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, now learning Sefer Iyov, Zoom A, will resume on Wednesday, October 11.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Women's Navi Shiur, now learning Sefer Shmuel, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, Zoom A.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings, 9:30 AM breakfast, 9:45 AM, will resume on Sunday, October 15.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, Sundays at 10:00 AM, Zoom C.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM. For more info., contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps, email@example.com 347-869-9361.
* For Men:
* Mondays: Rabbi Hillel Shaps – On the Same Page Gemara, will resume on Monday, October 16.
* Wednesdays: Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman – Reading Responsa – Zoom E, will resume on Wednesday, October 18.
* Thursdays: Rabbi Avraham Sussman – Yesodei Hatorah Gemara Skills Building – Zoom F.
* For Women: Mondays: Mrs. Sara Malka Winter – Parsha Journeys – Zoom D, will resume after Sukkos.
* SCP (Semichas Chaver Program) – Tuesdays at 8:45 PM at YISE. Presented by Rabbi Hillel Shaps. Register at https://thegreaterwashingtoncommunitykollel.com/scp For more information please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps: firstname.lastname@example.org New semester will begin after Sukkos, date to be announced.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy's Gemara Shiur, Masechet Chulin, Sunday 7:35 AM – 8:22 AM, Monday through Friday, 6:35 AM – 7:22 AM, in the Franco Beit Midrash.
* Chavrusa Learning – Monday nights in the Social Hall, 8:30 PM – 9:30 PM. For more information, contact Rabbi Levy at 240-423-8810.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiurim for men & women, Mondays at 8:45 AM, studying Parashas Hashavua, Zoom B.
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women, Tuesdays, 1:30 PM, "Profits from the Prophets", in-person in the Small Beis Medrash and on Zoom G.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning the 7th Perek of Maseches Bava Metzia. Wednesday evenings, schedule to be determined, on Zoom H.
Connection Details: Go to https://zoom.us/join/ and enter the meeting ID, or call 301-715-8592 or 929-205-6099 and enter the meeting ID & password:
Zoom A: ID: 416 963 9000, password 492019
Zoom B: ID: 970 1398 4837, password 613
Zoom C: ID: 833 3477 1595, password RabbiHyatt
Zoom D: ID: 601 853 4021, password Winter (phone 667362)
Zoom E: ID: 746 455 2195, password Learn
Zoom F: ID: 803 356 4156, password Learn
Zoom G: ID: 713 7408 5130, password 045079
Zoom H: ID: 849 3898 4989, password 161699
Thank you to the Weekday Shiurim Sponsors for this Past Week:
Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur – David Jaray in memory of Rabbi Hyatt, Z"L, and in honor of Rabbi Grauman and all those who attend his Shiur and in memory of parents, Avraham Ben Tzvi HaLevi & Ada Bas Menachem Aryeh, Z"L, and Rabbi Hillel & Mrs. Myrna Klavan, Z"L. and by Michael Hourwitz in honor of Rabbi Grossman and all of the Talmidim who attend his Shiur and in memory of Michael's family members in whose memory the learning has been dedicated.
Want to sponsor a Shabbos or weekday Shiur? Please email email@example.com for details. Thank you for your support