Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
May 8-9, 2015 – 20 Iyar 5775 – Parshas Emor
Light Candles by 7:49 (and not before 6:40) – Havdalah 8:53
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Hannah Weinstein in honor of her big sister Lily's 7th birthday.
* Light Candles by 7:49, and not before 6:40
Arcola: 6:25, 6:50, 7:50 University: 7:15 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: N/A Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 7:45 University: 7:45 Sephardi: 7:30 Nusach Sefard: 7:45
* Maariv/Havdalah: 8:53
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – The Price Family in commemoration of the 3rd Yahrzeit of Dr. Clifton Price.
* 8:00 Minyan – "The Chevra"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 6:30 PM.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 7:00 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur will not take place this Shabbos.
* Rabbi Silver – Pirkei Avos Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Barry Greengart – Shiur after Mincha at University.
* Mindy & Meier Kotek on their daughter Dena becoming a Bat Mitzvah. Mazal tov, also, to her siblings, Josh, Mikey and Yoni and to the grandparents, Gabi & Luiz Kotek and Eva & Gabe Rosenberg and to all the aunts, uncles and cousins.
* Miriam & Efi Kotek on the birth of a daughter. Mazal Tov to the grandparents Gabi & Luiz Kotek and Shelly & Jerry Kadden, to all the aunts, uncles and cousins, and to the big brother.
YISE Programs and Listings
University Blvd. Minyanim – This Shabbos there will be NO Shabbos Shacharis Minyan. There will be Friday Mincha and Shabbos Mincha.
We welcome new members who were voted in at the last Board meeting: Rivkah & Matthew Manes, Karen & Nehemia Yeshurun, Nechama & Rabbi Yonatan Zakem
Chometz may be purchased from all stores after May 10.
Mother's Day Shalosh Seudos – Join the YISE Sisterhood for a Seudah this Shabbos, May 9, 5:00 PM – 7:00 PM, in the Social Hall. Arleeta Lerner will share some inspirational words with us on the topic of "Myths, Marvels & Maxims of Motherhood." All women are welcome to attend. No children under age 12.
Lag B'Omer/Mother's Day Carnival – Sunday, May 10, 11:00 AM – 1:00 PM. Pizza, moonbouce, crafts, facepainting, raffle, and more. At YISE Shomrai Nursery. $5 per child under 12, $15 family max.
Win a Free Summer at Camp Shomrai! Exciting online raffle with lots of prizes including packages from: Mizrachi Handyman, Yaffa Koff Photography, Wig Out, Steve Resnick Studios, JCC GW, Baby Bandini, Pump It Up, Kids First Swim School and more. Visit www.yise.org/raffle
Parent Survival Kit: Managing the Emotions of Parenting – Monday, May 11, 8:00 PM, YISE Social Hall. Featuring Sulam Psychologist Rachel Ravin, PhD. Please join us for this highly practical parent education evening.
Tefila Workshop – Does prayer sometimes feel like a burden? Is your Kavanah easily distracted? Would you like a nice lunch for $5? Join Rabbi Rosenbaum, Rabbi Menachem Goldberger and members of our community for a workshop, "Practical steps to more meaningful prayer," on Sunday, May 17 from 12:00 noon to 5:00 PM. Begins with lunch, followed by speakers, a panel discussion, and a "meaningful mincha." Time for questions and discussion. Only $5/person. Send check payable to YISE to Simi at the Shul office. Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or at 301-980-9557.
Spend Shavuos at Shomrai with new and exciting programs including: Friday Night Community Dinner and Oneg, Learning Program and a Sundae on Monday – Family Ice Cream Party. Friday Night Dinner: $18/adult $10/child(Ages 3-15) $72 family max. Sponsorship levels: $36 (includes 1 meal), $54 (includes 2 meals). Dinner will follow the 7:05 Minyan at about 8:00 PM. Oneg at approximately 9:30 PM. A group of individuals in the community have expressed great interest that all feel comfortable attending this event and none be inhibited by cost. Therefore, all are welcome to RSVP for the meals free of charge. Anyone who feels able to donate the suggested amount or a portion thereof is encouraged to do so. Additional sponsors are still welcome. Reservations are still REQUIRED. No charge or RSVP for Oneg. To RSVP go to www.yise.org/dinner or contact Esti Strauss email@example.com To sponsor please contact Simi Franco: firstname.lastname@example.org
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html A Shiur has been recently added for this week's Parsha.
YISE Shomrai Nursery is now eligible to receive vouchers for tuition from the Child Care Subsidy (CCS) Program. The CCS Program issues vouchers to eligible families in need of help with the cost of child care. This exciting news means that families that have an income at or below the required amount can receive a significant portion of our school's tuition from the government. Please contact the school at 301-593-7365 with any questions.
The Silver Spring and Beyond Food Drive collected this year over 6,000 pounds of food to help the needy in the Washington region. Over a period of several weeks, primarily in March, hundreds of donors dropped boxes and cans at synagogues, day schools, stores, restaurants, apartment complexes, and community centers in Maryland, DC, and Virginia. The donations were collected by the Capital Area Food Bank, which serves over 700,000 individuals in this area through various organizations that distribute food. One of these is the Kosher Food Pantry, which is run by the Yehuda Mond Foundation. Over 15 years the drive has collected tens of thousands of pounds of cans and boxes. Thanks go to the many donors, volunteers, and participating organizations.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash – now learning Megillas Rus.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women. A mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evening at 8:30 PM at the home of Marion & Harry Felsen. Refreshments provided by the hosts.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM – program is on break and will resume on Sunday, May 17.
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network's Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or email@example.com
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah – Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the Social Hall; Maariv to follow. Choose from classes:
* Gemara Kop with R' Nachum Schwartz
* Becoming an Inspired Eved Hashem – Alei Shur (R' Shlomo Wolbe) with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher
* Iyunim L'Halacha with R' Moshe Haim Blate
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:00 PM at University – the second Perek of Kiddushin.
* GWCK Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency, Thursdays at 8:30 PM in the small Social Hall.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before regular Mincha.
Women's Discussion Group – Shabbos afternoons, 5:30 PM at the home of Mrs. Klavan, 1006 Lamberton Drive.
Tehillim – Wednesday mornings. Contact Arleeta Lerner for details 301-649-0552.
Kemp Mill Pirchei – For boys, first through sixth grade in the Yeshiva classrooms, Shabbos afternoons, 4:00 PM – 4:55 PM. If you're interested in sponsoring, please contact, firstname.lastname@example.org
Kabbalas HaTorah (Because it is Good) – Rabbi Reingold will be giving Shiur for women, this Shabbos, May 9, 4:15 PM – 5:00 PM at Meera & Stephan Miller's, 1015 Arcola Ave.
Adults' Shalosh Seudos to meet Nechama & Menachem Porat – Nechama is the Rosh Midrasha at the Berman Hebrew Academy. Join us Shabbos, May 9, 6:00 PM at the Namrow home, 6 Fulham Court.
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, May 13, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at email@example.com for more information.
Be a HERO! It's Zichron Menachem Hair4Wigs time of year again. If you have 12 inches of hair to donate, you can help make a wig for a child in Israel who has cancer. Please sign up for a free appointment: Thursday, May 28, after Shavuot, Progressions Salon and Spa, Rockville. To make your appointment, please contact Nancy at firstname.lastname@example.org Thank you to all of our return donors and to all of our new donors.
Sulam's 15th Annual Gala Dinner & Silent Auction – Tuesday, June 2. Honoring Shapiro, Lifschitz & Schram with its Founder's Award. Cocktails & Auction begin at 6:15 followed by dinner. At the Bethesda North Marriott Hotel & Conference Center. Ad deadline May 18. Reservations, sponsorships and ads may be placed online at www.sulam.adjournal.com or by contacting the Sulam office at email@example.com 301-962-9400 x5523.
Workplace Skills Workshops:
* LinkedIn Topics – Monday, May 11, 7:30 PM to 9:00 PM, KMS. Free workshop featuring Ken Horowitz. To reserve a seat, please email DMarwick@JobAssist.org
* WordPress for Beginners – Webinar. First of four sessions on Monday, May 11, 1:00 PM. Info and register at www.oujobs.org/events
* Design a Powerful Resume – Free 1-hour webinar—Tuesday, May 12, 1:00 PM, or Thursday, May 14, 7:00 PM. Register at https://lisarangel.leadpages.net/executive-resume-webinar-5-2015-1/
Recent Donations to YISE
To make a donation to YISE, contact Simi Franco at301-593-4465 x403 or firstname.lastname@example.org
* Gertrude Kleidman in memory of Howard Kleidman, Z"L.
* Joey Franco in memory of Ellen Singer's mother, Sonia Greenspon, Z"L.
* Nachum & Tania Shedlo
* Eddie Snyder & Ann Wimpfheimer in memory of Bruce James's brother, Arthur James Jr.
* Joey Franco in memory of Rose Elbaum's mother, Selma Blitzstein, Z"L.
* Robert & Angie Liberman in memory of Jack Calman's mother, Ruth Calman, Z"L.
* Stuart & Judy Rosenthal in memory of Jack Calman's mother, Ruth Calman, Z"L.
* Joey Franco in memory of Bernie Blitzstein's mother, Selma Blitzstein, Z"L.
* Paul Goodnick
* Joey Franco in memory of Henry Mitrani, Z"L.
* Anonymous in memory of Bob Levi's mother, Lorraine Levi, Z"L.
* Joey Franco in memory of Benjy Kleidman's father, Howard Kleidman, Z"L.
The Week Ahead
Sunday, May 10 – Mother's Day Monday, May 11 Tuesday, May 12 Wednesday, May 13 Thursday, May 14 Friday, May15
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
University N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Sephardi 7:30 6:15, 7:10 6:20, 7:15 6:20, 7:15 6:15, 7:10 6:20, 7:15
Arcola 7:55 7:55 7:55 7:55 7:55 See Shabbos schedule
University N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 5:01 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:29 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:41 PM
May 15-16, 2015 – 27 Iyar 5775
Parshas Behar / Bechukosai – Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 7:55 – Havdalah 9:01
* Light Candles by 7:55, and not before 6:45
Arcola: 6:30, 6:55, 7:55 University: 7:15 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 7:50 University: 7:50 Sephardi: 7:35 Nusach Sefard: 7:50
* Maariv/Havdalah: 9:01
Shabbos, May 9 YISE Mother's Day Shalosh Seudos, 5:00 PM, Arcola Social Hall
Monday, May 11 Parent Survival Kit: Managing the Emotions of Parenting
Sunday, May 17 How to Pray with Kavanah and Serve Hashem with Simcha
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, May 13 at 12 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director