Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
May 4 – 5, 2018 – 20 Iyar 5778 – Parshas Emor
Light Candles by 7:45 – Havdalah 8:49
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Vivian Kirshenbaum with Weichert Realtors Office: 301-681-0550 Cell: 301-318-1313
* Rebbetzin Anemer on the birth of a great-granddaughter, born to Tsippy & Noach Yitzchok Weber of Israel.
* Sheila & Allen Gaisin on the marriage of their granddaughter Shalva Adler, daughter of their children, Dr. Miriam & Rabbi Elchanan Adler of Passaic, NJ, to Netanel Twersky, son of Faige & Rabbi Mayer Twersky of Riverdale, New York. Mazal Tov to all of the aunts, uncles, cousins, and extended family.
* Jacob Edeson who is in Holy Cross Hospital. Visitors are welcome.
* Light Candles by 7:45, and not before 6:36
Ashkenazi: 6:20, 6:45, 7:45 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:00, 7:40 Sephardi: 7:20 Nusach Sefard: 7:40
* Maariv/Havdalah: 8:49
* 8:00, 9:15 Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* Sephardi Minyan – Bar Mevorach and Sebastian Cohen for Passing the Board Exam for Physical Therapy
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "Haimish Kiddush Group"
* 9:15 Minyan – Alan and Fran Broder in honor of Moshe and Batsheva Broders' recent birthdays.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, behind the balcony.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, lower lobby.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 6:35 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver – Shiur after Mincha
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self- improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evenings at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM Choose from classes:
* On the Same Page with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Sage Advice with Rabbi Moshe Sadwin
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 7:00 AM – 7:45 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network Presents:
* Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for Men and Women, Tuesday mornings 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM.
* Rabbi Raphael Malka's Mishnah Class for Men, Tuesday mornings, 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM.
* For more information: 301-732-1773 or email@example.com
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women: 613? We Can Appreciate Every One of Them! Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Succah, Wednesdays at 7:00 PM in the Social Hall.
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for Men and Women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sundays, 7:15 PM, in the Social Hall.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Yonatan Zakem at firstname.lastname@example.org or 513-313-4899.
* Men (classes located in the YISE Beis Medrash):
* Monday: On the Same Page with Rabbi Hillel Shaps.
* Tuesday: Torah Topics with Rabbi Menachem Winter.
* Wednesday: Reading Responsa with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman.
* Thursday: Yesodei Hatorah with Rabbi Avraham Sussman.
* Thursday: Inspired Avodah with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher
* Monday – Thursday: Shivti led by Rabbi Yonatan Zakem, under the guidance of Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman.
* Women (class located in the Small Social Hall):
* Monday: Horeb: The Power of Mitzvos with Mrs. Sara Malka Winter.
YISE Programs and Listings
Global Good Deeds Day – Thank you to the 121 volunteers from the community. Yasher Koach to all those who came out! Twenty bags of trash and recyclables were collected from the Kemp Mill and Sligo Creek Parks.
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish History on Monday, May 7, from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM at 1111 University Blvd. W. in the Penthouse. Light refreshments will be served. For more information, please contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or email@example.com
"Har Sinai: Strengthening the Relationship that Began with the Exodus" – women's shiur with Rabbi Rosenbaum, Sunday night, May 13, 8:30 PM at the home of Bayla Goodman, 11527 Monticello Ave.
Capital Kosher Pantry – Thank you to everyone who contributed to our pre-Pesach campaign! The bins were filled with fantastic food! However, just as our supplies are increasing, so is the need. One of our fastest moving items is cereal. With summer coming up and children home more, there is an even greater need to replenish our stock. Therefore, we've tied this collection to the grains of the Omer and are requesting cereals and granola bars. Of course, we will make good use of other donations. (FYI: Right now, we are overloaded with pasta and Matza). Donation box at YISE in the lower lobby.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program is a service to help members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help out. Please note that by signing up, you are not committing to help with anything specific. You will be notified when volunteers are needed, and if you are available at that time, we would appreciate if you could help. If you wish to be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301- 681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com
Camp Shomrai is back for another great summer! 7-week program Monday, June 25th – Friday, August 10th. Preschool 2-year-old through Kindergarten 9:00 AM – 3:00 PM at Shomrai Preschool. NEW THIS YEAR boys & girls entering 1st through 6th grade 9:30 AM – 3:30 PM at YGW Girls High School with Rabbi Moshe Mittelman and Mrs. Esther Leigh. Register online at http://campshomrai.campapplications.com For more information contact Sarah Dollman at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137. Membership Directory – The 2018 YISE Membership Directory will be updated soon. Send updated information to email@example.com
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Chometz after Pesach
As of this Sunday, May 6, people may purchase chametz from any establishment.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Beis Medrash, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups:
2-5 year-olds 9:30 AM – end of 8:45 minyan in the youth room behind the Balcony
1st-4th grade 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM at the Yeshiva.
Walking group leaves at 10:00 AM. Girls meet in the main lobby. Boys meet outside the Social Hall.
Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Ice Cream Social – Monday, May 21, 4:00 PM – 5:30 PM, YISE Social Hall
Save the date! Sunday, June 10
YISE Annual Banquet
Honoring: Miriam & Steven Friedman.
Community Service Award: Carol & Tuvia Lazar.
Youth Honorees: Edan Friedman, Talya Miller & Noach Solomson.
We look forward to seeing you there!
Tikkun Leil Shavuos 5778 at YISE
Sunday, May 20
Schedule subject to change.
Shiurim in the Belonofsky Sanctuary
* 12:00 AM – 12:50 AM – Rabbi Yonatan Zakem "Hilchos Sports" – Betting, Contact Sports, and Religious-wear
* 1:00 AM – 1:50 AM – Rabbi Yitzchak Scher, "The Story with the String" – Laws of Eruv
* 2:00 AM – 2:50 AM – Rabbi Silver, "The Group vs the Individual" – A halachic analysis of what takes precedence when interests conflict.
* 3:00 AM – 3:50 AM – Rabbi Yehuda Shinensky, "Do Mitzvos Need to be Expensive?"
* 4:00 AM – 4:50 AM – Rabbi Rosenbaum, "Can They Charge that Much?" – Laws of Onaah Group Learning in the Social Hall
* 12:00 AM – 1:00 AM – Shiur for Boys, Grades 4-6 with Rabbi Rosenbaum, "Halachos of Lefties"
* 1:00 AM – 2:30 AM – Rabbi Hillel Shaps, "The Mystery of the Last 8 Verses of the Torah"
* 3:00 AM – 4:30 AM – Rabbi Silver, "Exploring the vast and varied writings of Rabbi Yosef Karo" – the author of the Shulchan Aruch
Sephardi Tikkun Leil Shavuot 12:00 AM – 4:00 AM in the Franco Family Beis Medrash.
Refreshments in the Social Hall throughout the night.
Halachic & Davening Times
* Earliest Talis 4:50 AM
* Netz 5:51 AM
* Sephardi Shacharit – 4:20 AM in the Beis Medrash
* Ashkenazi "Netz" Shacharis – 5:15 AM in the Social Hall
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before Mincha.
Learn Mishnah Brurah Hilchos Shabbos in 18 Months – Shiur for men with Rabbi Eli Reingold. Monday through Thursday, 8:00 – 8:45 PM at the Boys Yeshiva. Questions? Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Nedarim. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more info, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Road.
The Value of Modesty – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for women, based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM, 609 Hyde Road.
Silver Spring Gemachim – A new Gemach for boys' suits is being formed. Please text Elite Hutman at 240-779-1032 to arrange to drop off your gently used and clean boys' suits sized infants-20. For a complete list: gemachexchange.com
Rabbi Marvin Goldman's Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, May 5, at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 906, at 4:00 PM.
A Time for Unity! – Special Shabbos afternoon speaker series. As we look forward to Shavuos, let us come together and find inspiration in the words of the Torah. Chabad of Silver Spring will be hosting distinguished Rabbis during the weeks between Pesach and Shavuos. This Shabbos, May 5, Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum, YISE All Shiurim at Chabad, 519 Lamberton Drive, 6:00 PM – 7:00 PM. Women and men are invited.
Ma Rabu Ma'asecha…Celebrating the Wonder of Hashem's Creations – Community science lecture series. "Fighting Cancer: Past, Present, and Future Approaches" by Dr. Chana Weinstock Neuberger, US FDA, Torah insights by Rabbi Eli Reingold, Rosh Kollel. Sunday, May 6. 12:30 PM, followed by Mincha. YGW Boys Campus. For more info. contact Rabbi Scott Hillman 301-962-5111 ext 1553.
"The Q" Trivia with NCSY – Join Greater Washington NCSY and the Cheryl Stern Memorial Scholarship Fund on Sunday, May 6th for a fun night out to support NCSY! RSVP today at atsncsy.org/q or by calling (410)358-6279 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Genetic Screening – YGW has made arrangements for Dor Yeshorim to come to both campuses on Tuesday, May 8, to conduct screening for genetic diseases. For over 28 years Dor Yeshorim has been able to provide testing for recessive genetic diseases, such as Tay-Sachs, Cystic Fibrosis, and Faconi Anemia that can affect the community. This testing is open to men and women in the community. Women will be tested at the Girls Campus from 2:50 PM – 4:15 PM. Men will be tested at the Boys Campus starting at 4:45 PM. The regular cost is $275 with match results available in a few weeks. For further information, men contact Rabbi Reingold – email@example.com, women contact Mrs. Reingold – firstname.lastname@example.org
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, May 9, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator & leader. Contact Laura Warshawsky at email@example.com for more information.
Zichron Menachem Hair Drive -MJBHA will be sponsoring the annual hair donation drive on the day after Shavuos, Tuesday, May 22, at Progressions Salon. All cuts are free and each donor receives a special gift from the coordinator and a certificate from Zichron Menachem. To sign up, email firstname.lastname@example.org with "hair" in the Subject line. Nancy Mehlman will contact you to set up an appointment on your preferred day and time.
Berman Hebrew Academy's 74th Anniversary Celebration honoring Debra Panitch and Bob & Pat Hynes. Thursday, May 24 at 7:15 PM at Berman Hebrew Academy. To RSVP visit www.mjbha.org/events For more information email email@example.com
Help our Senior Neighbors – What if you had to give up your car keys and depend on someone else to get you where you needed to go? This is happening to more and more of our senior neighbors. Consider volunteering with the Senior Connection to drive seniors to medical appointments. Training and liability coverage are provided, and you can set your own volunteering schedule. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org, call 301-962-0820 or visit www.seniorconnectionmc.org
The Week Ahead
Sunday May 6 Monday May 7 Tuesday May 8 Wednesday May 9 Thursday May 10 Friday May 11
Ashkenazi 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 6:00 6:10 6:10 6:00 6:10
Ashkenazi 7:55 7:55 7:55 7:55 7:55 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 7:50 7:50 7:50 7:50 7:50
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 5:06 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:31 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:41 PM
May 11 – 12, 2018 – 27 Iyar 5778
Parshas Behar/Bechukosai – Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 7:52 – Havdalah 8:57
* Light Candles by 7:52, and not before 6:41
Ashkenazi: 6:25, 6:55, 7:55 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:00, 7:50 Sephardi: 7:30 Nusach Sefard: 7:50
* Maariv/Havdalah: 8:57
Monday, May 14 The Man with the Truck 6:30 PM – 9:30 PM
Sunday, May 20 Tikkun Leil Shavuos – Midnight
Monday, May 21 Ice Cream Social – 4:00 PM – 5:30 PM
Sunday, June 10 YISE Annual Banquet
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, May 9 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager