The Shabbos Shorts is formatted for legal size paper (8-1/2" x 14"). If you are not able to print on legal size paper, you should print using "Fit" or "Shrink oversized pages" or a similar setting.
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
May 20-21, 2016 – 13 Iyar 5776 – Parshas Emor
Light Candles by 8:01 (and not before 6:48) – Havdalah 9:07
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Rebbetzin Myrna Klavan to thank all the friends who have given support and comfort on the passing of Rabbi Hillel Klavan, ZT"L.
* Adina & Fred Friedman on the engagement of their daughter, Rena, to Eliezer Snow, son of Claire & Mordechai Snow of Edison, New Jersey. Mazal Tov to all the siblings.
* Jodi & David Mazel on their daugther, Shayna's, graduation from the University of Maryland with a Master's degree in Public Policy. Mazal Tov to her siblings, Suzanne & Jack, and Jacob.
* Marla & Marty Teichman on the birth of a grandson to Coralie & Mitchell Teichman. Also, Mazal Tov on the birth of a greatgrandson to Shaynie & Avigdor Goldberger. Grandparents are Randee & Manny Goldberger.
* Jack Rutner on the passing of his wife, Anna Rutner, mother of Heather Rutner, Torin Rutner, Bracha Rutner, and Efrat Rutner Zisquit. The funeral took place last Friday. Shiva was completed before Shabbos.
* Light Candles by 8:01, and not before 6:48
Arcola: 6:30, 7:05, 8:05 University: 7:15 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
The 9:15 Minyan meets in the Boys' Yeshiva.
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 8:00 University: 8:00 Sephardi: 7:40 Nusach Sefard: 8:00
* Maariv/Havdalah: 9:07
* 8:00 and 9:15 Minyanim Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* 8:00 Minyan – "The Chevra"
* Sephardi Minyan – Chaim Cohen and the "Sephardic Group"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* 9:15 Minyan – "The 9:15 Group"
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, behind the balcony.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 7:00 PM
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 6:55 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur at 7:30 PM.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Pirkei Avos Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Silver – Pirkei Avos Shiur after Mincha at University.
YISE Programs and Listings
We welcome new members who were voted in at the last Board meeting: Sarah & Eli Ben-Shoushan, Lucas Druskin, Elana & Rabbi Yisroel Glassberg, Hillel Goldschein, Aryeh Lichtman, Elissa Weisblatt
Counting Towards What? Understanding What the Torah Does and Doesn't Tell Us About Sefiras HaOmer – Shiur for women with Rabbi Rosenbaum. Sunday, May 22, at 8:30 PM at the home of Bayla Goodman, 11527 Monticello Avenue.
YISE Annual Meeting and Election of Officers and Trustees of the Board will take place Tuesday, May 24 at 7:30 PM in the Social Hall.
Tefilah: Your Personal Stairway to Heaven – This class, taught by Sharon Freundel, and based on Abraham Maslow's Hierarchy of Human Needs, will enhance your path toward Hashem through deeper knowledge of prayer and human psychology. Due to popularity, the class is moving from the Rosenthals' home to the Small Social Hall. Tuesdays, 7:00 PM – 8:00 PM, May 24, May 31 and June 7. Open to men and women. Part of the YISE Meaningful Tefilah Project.
YISE Shomrai Nursery Raffle – Enter our online raffle and win free camp, Uppa Baby stroller, Yehudis Goldfarb Photography, Studio 805 Makeover, and more! Drawing on Sunday, May 29. 1 ticket $10, 5 tickets $35, 10 tickets $50. Visit www.yise.org/raffle
YISE Shomrai Nursery Lag B'Omer Carnival! Sunday, May 29, 10:00 AM – 12:00 Noon, at YISE Shomrai Nursery. $5 per child, $15 family max. Moonbounce, crafts, games, raffle, and more!
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on topics in Jewish History. Monday, June 6, from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM, 1111 University Blvd. W., Apt. 215. For information, please contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or email@example.com
Planting Ornamentals Around the Shul – We have received donations to cover the planters, but we need more money for the flower beds against the Shul building. This is part of our effort to plant deer-resistant varieties of flowers and low shrubs around the exterior of the Shul. For donations, make checks payable to YISE and note the purpose is "planting flowers." We hope to add color and enhance the beauty of our facility with a collaborative effort in which we can share further pride of accomplishment. Thank you in advance for your support. Note: for those who like to get their hands dirty, we hope to announce the first round of planting soon. We can give school service credit. Contact Stuart Cohen for details.
Membership Directory – The 2016 YISE Membership Directory will be printed soon. To submit changes to your directory entry, go to www.yise.org/directory or contact firstname.lastname@example.org The deadline for changes is June 15.
Camp Shomrai is back! Camp Shomrai is back for another great summer for ages 2-5! For inquiries, please contact Sarah Dollman at email@example.com
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill – YISE's Chesed Committee has a program to help members undergoing serious medical crises. If you or someone you know needs help with meals, carpools, childcare, etc., or to volunteer, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301- 754-1517, email@example.com If you are unable to cook a meal or help out, but would like to make a donation to Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill, please contact Simi Franco in the office.
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual selfimprovement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings, in the Social Hall. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women. A mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evening at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM. Choose from classes:
* Timeless Talmud with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Jewish Philosophy with Rabbi Yonatan Zakem
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network's Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or email@example.com
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah – Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the Social Hall; Mincha at 7:45 and Maariv to follow. Choose from classes:
* Gemara Kop with R' Nachum Schwartz
* Becoming an Inspired Eved Hashem – Alei Shur (R' Shlomo Wolbe) with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:00 PM at University.
* GWCK Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency, Thursdays following Mincha/Maariv in the small Social Hall.
Cheryl Stern Community
Kelim Mikvah is Now Open
Dedicate a brick in the path to the Keilim Mikvah at YISE. Your engraved brick will be placed on the sidewalk in front of the Mikvah.
Brick: 4" x 8" brick paver on the Keilim Mikvah path.
Lines: 3, Characters per line: 20, Cost: $ 180.00 each
Double Brick: 8" x 8" brick paver on the Keilim Mikvah path.
Lines: 6, Characters per line: 20. Cost: $ 500.00 each
Donations are 100% tax deductible.
For more details visit: www.yise.org/brick
I would like to thank all those who were instrumental in organizing the Siyum and the Shalosh Seudos for the Yahrzeit of Rabbi Anemer, ZT"L. Special thanks to Rabbi Rosenbaum, Bob Levi, Barbara Price, Simi Franco and Esther Edeson. I would also like to gratefully thank all those that learned for the Aliyah for Rabbi Anemer's Neshama.
Rebbetzin Yocheved Anemer
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will NOT meet this Shabbos.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Early care for 2-5 year-olds runs from 9:30-10:00. Groups for all ages run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before regular Mincha.
Dirshu Daf Yomi B'Halacha on Hilchos Tefillah, learn Mishna Brurah with Rabbi Eli Reingold, Monday – Thursday, 8:00 PM – 8:45 PM at YGW. For information contact him at 301-996-5910 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Tehillim – Wednesday mornings. Contact Arleeta Lerner at 301-649-0552.
Kemp Mill Pirchei – For boys, first through sixth grade in the Yeshiva classrooms, Shabbos afternoons, 4:00 PM – 4:55 PM. If you're interested in sponsoring, please contact, email@example.com
Shiur on Parsha – This Shabbos, May 21, with Rabbi Marvin Goldman. at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 906, at 4:00 PM.
Infant & Child CPR Class – Sunday, May 22, at 2:00 PM at YISE. This is a full certification class, administered by a trainer from NOVA Cert, LLC. The cost for theclass will be $35 per person. Estimated time for the class is two and a half hours. Ifinterested, please sign up in advance by contacting LCypess@gmail.com
Siddur Reading Class with TGN: Would you like to improve the accuracy and fluency of your prayers? Join a new class with Mrs. Esther Dziadek to enhance your Siddur reading skills. Starting Wednesday, May 25, 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM at KMS. For more information, contact Mrs. Esther Dziadek, 301-649-1463 or firstname.lastname@example.org or Rabbi Shmuel Leigh, 301 732-1773 or email@example.com
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, May 25, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you canbecome a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Jewish Business Ethics: Exploring the Laws of the Jewish Workplace – continuing a weekly based series. Presented by GWCK in partnership with Aish of Greater Washington. This men's programming series will elucidate five separate relevant workplace topics, Wednesday evenings, 7:30 PM – 8:30 PM, through June 8 at Aish, 11418 Old Georgetown Road. No cost. Please register at AishDC.com For more information, contact email@example.com
Will You Be a Hero? Zichron Menachem Annual Hair-Raising Event offers you the opportunity to get a free haircut and do a Mitzvah at the same time. Thursday, May 26, Lag B'Omer: In Salon and Day Spa, 13665 Connecticut Avenue, Aspen Hill. 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM. Or Tuesday, June 14, after Shavuos: Progressions Salon and Spa, 12211 Nebel Street, Rockville. 4:30 PM, 5:30 PM, and 6:30 PM. Make your appointment today by contacting Nancy Mehlman at PTO@mjbha.org For more information on Zichron Menachem, visit www.zichron.org
Annual Lag B'Omer Community-wide Celebration – May 26, 5:00 pm – Rain or Shine. BHA, Harry A. Epstein Campus. Admission is free. There will be a charge for games, dinner, snacks and activities. 5:00 PM: BBQ, carnival, sports; 6:00 PM: Drum circle and Lower School girls' choir performance; 7:00 PM: Bonfire & S'mores. BBQ dinner and snacks available for purchase, or bring your own picnic dinner. Preorder your dinner at www.mjbha.org and have it ready when you are.
Sulam Annual Gala and Silent Auction – Sulam invites you to an extraordinary evening to support the Sulam Scholarship Fund. Tuesday, May 31, at the Bethesda N. Marriott. RSVP or place an ad online www.sulam.org/gala Contact Ahuva Orlofsky, firstname.lastname@example.org, with any questions.
Breast Cancer Awareness Program – Sunday, June 5 at 7:30 PM in a private home in Kemp Mill. Over 95% of women diagnosed with early stage breast cancer survive and thrive. Join BCGW for an eye opening discussion about your real risk factors and screening options for breast cancer. Featuring Dr. Rachel Brem and Andrea Wolf. Contact BCGW for program location and more information: 202-331-4481 or email@example.com
Berman Hebrew Academy 72nd Anniversary Dinner and Casino Night – Thursday, June 16, 6:45 PM, at BHA. Blackjack, Craps, Texas Hold ‘Em, and Roulette. Sponsorships and RSVP on-line at www.mjbha.org/events Take a chance – join us and support Berman.
10th Anniversary Yitzhak Rabin Memorial Lecture – Presented by JPDS of the Nation's Capital, featuring U.S. Ambassador to Israel Daniel Shapiro. Monday, June 20 at 7:30 PM, at the Sixth & I Historic Synagogue. Purchase tickets at jpds.org/rabin
Help our Senior Neighbors – What if you had to give up your car keys and depend on someone else to get you where you needed to go? This is happening to more and more of our senior neighbors. Consider volunteering with the Senior Connection to drive seniors to medical appointments. Training and liability coverage are provided, and you can set your own volunteering schedule. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org, call 301-962-0820 or visit www.seniorconnectionmc.org for more information.
Post Pesach Pointers – YISE and Beyond
Chometz may be purchased from the following stores immediately after Pesach 2016:
* All Capitol K establishments and caterers.
* National stores: B.J.'s, Costco, CVS, Food Lion, Kmart, Mars, Petco, PetSmart, Royal Farms, Rite Aid, Sam's Club, Save-A-Lot, Shoppers Food and Pharmacy, Trader Joe's, Walgreens, Walmart, Wegmans, Winn-Dixie
* Stores in our community: Aldi's, H Mart, Harris Teeter, MOM's Organic Market, ShopRite of White Oak, Whole Foods Market
Chometz MAY NOT be purchased from Snider's until Sunday, May 29.
Due to possible Chometz distributed by a Jewish company, if one has an option of purchasing Chometz from other stores, it is commendable not to purchase Chometz from Giant, Safeway, and Target until Sunday, May 29.
The Week Ahead
Sunday, May 22 -Pesach Sheni Monday, May 23 Tuesday, May 24 Wednesday, May 25 Thurs., May 26 – Lag B'Omer Friday, May 27
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 6:10, 7:10 6:15, 7:15 6:15, 7:15 6:10, 7:10 6:15, 7:15
Arcola 8:10 8:10 8:10 8:10 8:10 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 8:05 8:05 8:05 8:05 8:05
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 4:48 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:25 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:43 PM
May 27-28, 2016 – 20 Iyar 5776
Light Candles by 8:06 – Havdalah 9:13
* Light Candles by 8:06, and not before 6:53
Arcola: 6:35, 7:10, 8:10 University: 7:15 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 8:05 University: 8:05Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 8:05
* Maariv/Havdalah: 9:13
Monday, May 23 Man with the Truck, 6:00 PM – 9:30 PM
Tuesday, May 24 YISE Annual Meeting and Election of Officers, 7:30 PM
Shabbos, May 28 Bar Mitzvah of Dovie Shimoff
Sunday, May 29 YISE Shomrai Nursery Lag B'Omer Carnival! 10:00 AM – 12:00 Noon
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, May 25 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director