Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
May 2-3, 2014 – 3 Iyar 5774 – Parshas Emor
Light Candles by 7:43 (and not before 6:36) – Havdalah 8:47
* Light Candles by 7:43, and not before 6:36
* Mincha 6:45, 7:00 (Sephardi, Nusach Sefard) 7:15 (Univ.), 7:45
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 5:00, 7:25 (Sephardi), 7:40 (Arcola & Univ.)
* Maariv/Havdalah 8:47
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* 8:00 Minyan – "The Chevra"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 6:40 PM.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 6:40 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur at 7:10 PM.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Pirkei Avos Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Silver – Shiur after Mincha at University.
* Barbara Price on the birth of a granddaughter, Sarah Ruth Shrank, daughter of Shoshana & Dave Shrank and sister to Zachary. Mazal Tov also to grandparents Ellie & Harry Shrank of Yardley, PA and to all of the aunts, uncles, and cousins.
* Bertha & Jack Spiro on the engagement of their grandson, Eli Horovitz, son of Tzippy & David Horovitz of Beit Shemesh, Israel, to Nesya Timsit, daughter of Rachel & Shimon Timsit of Kiryat Shemona, Israel.
* Charlotte Weill and her entire family upon the engagement of her granddaughter Pessy Weill to Avraham Kalikstein, both from Brooklyn.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Haftoros Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver's Halacha Shiur for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM, in the Social Hall, part of the Beis Medrash Zichron Gedaliah Program, is currently studying the Halachos of Tefillah.
* Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or info@ goldennetwork.org.
* Beis Medrash Zichron Gedaliah for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM at University.
* Greater Washington Community Kollel:
* Linas Hatzedek – Business Ethics – Beginning the topic "Earning Wages on Shabbos" – Sunday mornings at 9:30 AM.
* Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency, Thursdays, following Mincha / Maariv.
The Shopping Center wants to thank everyone for being safe and parking in the designated part of the Ben Yehuda lot. They request that you do not park in the spaces directly next to Ben Yehuda (from the flower bed to the light post) so that the center employees will have a place to park. I f you find that there are no open spaces in our area, please park behind Ben Yehuda.
YISE Programs and Listings
Announcing a New Halacha Shiur for Women – Rabbi Rosenbaum is starting a monthly women's Halacha Shiur. The first one will be this Sunday, May 4 at 8:30 PM at the home of Bayla Goodman, 11527 Monticello Ave. The topic will be "Warming food on Shabbos."
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on topics in Jewish History, Monday May 5, from 1:30 PM – 2:30 PM at 1111 University Blvd. W., apt. 215. Light refreshments will be served. For information, please contact Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517 or firstname.lastname@example.org
We are updating the Cholim list – Anyone who would like to have a Choleh on the new list must contact Esther Edeson at 301-593-4465, ext. 402, or email@example.com by Thursday, May 8.
Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah Sefirah Session begins Tuesday, May 6 at 8:00 PM ; Mincha at 7:45 PM – Maariv to follow.
Sefirah Session Shiurim:
* Developing your "Gemara Kop" – R' Nachum Schwartz – Thinking through Maseches Sukkah
* Halachos of Tefillah – Rabbi Binyamin Silver
* Alei Shur (R' Shlomo Wolbe) – Strengthening our Emunah – Rabbi Yitzchak Scher
* "What's Under the Hood?" – R' Moshe Chaim Blate – An in-depth analysis from the sources of pertinent Halacha topics.
Join us for the Open Bais Medrash or we can help you set up a Chevrusa in any topic. Located in the YISE Social Hall.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill – YISE's Chesed Committee has a program to help members undergoing serious medical crises. If you or someone you know needs help with meals, carpools, childcare, etc., or to volunteer, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com or pick up a form in the lobby.
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett – 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Post Pesach Particulars
Chometz may be purchased from the following stores immediately after Pesach 2014: All Capitol K establishments and caterers. National stores: BJ's Wholesale Club, Costco Wholesale, CVS pharmacy, Food Lion, Kmart, Mars Super Market, Petco, PetSmart, Rite Aid, Royal Farms, Sam's Club, Save-A-Lot, Shoppers Food and Pharmacy, Trader Joe's, Walgreens, Walmart, Wegmans, Winn-Dixie. Stores in our community: Brookville Market, H Mart, Harris Teeter, MOM's Organic Market, Potomac Wines and Spirits, ShopRite of White Oak, Whole Foods Market
Chometz may NOT be purchased from the following stores until Wednesday, May 21: Giant, Safeway, Sniders, Target.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
YISE Youth Presents: A Lag B'omer outing at Luray Caverns, Sunday May 18, 10:00 AM. $16/adult, $8/Child (12&Under), 5 & under-Free. Leaving YISE at 8:00 AM. RSVP by May 11. For More information, contact Avi Litwack at firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-576-3284.
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the YGW Beis Medrash – Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, Shabbos 1 1/2 hours before regular Mincha, and Sunday at 6:30 AM.
Rabbi Yehoshua Levy's Shiurim on Alshich 8:45 AM – 9:45 AM and Gemara Pesachim 9:45 AM – 11:00 AM, Monday through Friday at 609 Hyde Road. Walk-ins welcome. For more information, email@example.com or 240-423-8810.
Kemp Mill Pirchei – For boys, first through sixth grade in the Yeshiva classrooms, Shabbos afternoons, 4:00 PM – 4:55 PM. If you're interested in sponsoring, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org Tehillim – Wednesday mornings. Contact Arleeta Lerner for details 301-649-0552.
YGW–Tiferes Gedaliah Naming Ceremony – As we mark the 4th Yahrtzeit of the Rosh HaYeshiva HaRav Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L. Sunday, May 4. Chevrusa Learning at 10:00 AM, Shiur at 10:50 AM by Rav Ahron Lopiansky, Rosh Yeshiva, Naming Ceremony at 11:30 AM. YGW-Tiferes Gedaliah Boys Campus.
Join the GWCK for the start of the Spring Semester! Join a class, find a study partner, or bring your chavrusa with you! For a variety of learning opportunities, check out the programs page at www.gwckollel.org to find the complete Kollel schedule. The semester begins this Sunday, May 4.
Annual Yom Ha'zikaron and Yom Ha'atzmaut Ceremony – MJBHA, Kollel Torah Mitzion, Bat- Ami and Bnei Akiva invite you to celebrate Israel's prosperity and accomplishments, 66 years of Success, at MJBHA, Monday, May 5. Mincha at 6:45 PM, Ceremony at 7:15 PM.
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, May 7, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at email@example.com for more information.
Get a Free Haircut and Do a Mitzvah All at Once!!! Zichron Menachem Annual Hair Raising Event is back! Show you care by donating 10 inches of hair! May 18 – Lag Ba'Omer – In Salon and Day Spa, 13665 Connecticut Avenue in Aspen Hill, appointments from 12:00 PM to 4:00 PM. June 9 – After Shavuot – Norma's Hair Salon will come to MJBHA, appointments from 9:00 AM to 1:00 PM. June 10 – After Shavuot – Progressions Salon and Spa, 12211 Nebel Street, Rockville, appointments at 4:00 PM, 5:00 PM and 6:00 PM. Private cuttings are available at all locations. To make an appointment please contact Nancy Mehlman at firstname.lastname@example.org
Adult Softball – Started on April 27 at 10:00 AM (Jewish time) at Colesville Rec Center (Hobbes Dr. off New Hampshire Ave). For directions or questions contact Ira Thompson, 240-997-4209 or email@example.com
Job Assist Events:
* LinkedIn for Your Job Search – Free workshop on using social media to make connections. Tuesday, May 12, 12:30 PM to 2:00 PM. No reservation required. Gaithersburg Library, 18330 Montgomery Village Avenue, Gaithersburg. For info, firstname.lastname@example.org
YISE Nursery Announcements
YISE Nursery presents Torah for Tots – Friday mornings from 9:30 AM to 10:45 AM. $10 per class. Classes through May 16. Register at email@example.com or 301 593-7365.
YISE Nursery presents Camp Shomrai 2014 – Download camp forms at http://nursery.yise.org/forms/ or contact 301-593-7365 or firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
YISE Nursery registration for school year 2014-2015 – Call 301-593-7365 with questions or to make an appointment for a tour.
The Week Ahead
Sunday, May 4 Monday, May 5 Tuesday, May 6 – Yom Ha'Atzmaut Wednesday, May 7 Thursday, May 8 Friday, May 9
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:35*, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
University 8:00 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Sephardi 7:30 6:05 6:15 6:15 6:05 6:15
Arcola 7:50 7:50 7:50 7:50 7:50 See Shabbos schedule
University N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 5:09 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:32 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:41 PM
* Tuesday, May 6 – Yom Ha'Atzmaut – the Second Minyan at Arcola will meet at 6:35 with special additions. The remainder of the Shacharis Minyanim will meet at their regular times, without special additions.
May 9-10, 2014 – 10 Iyar 5774
Light Candles by 7:50 – Havdalah 8:55
* Light Candles by 7:50, and not before 6:41
* Mincha 6:30 (Social Hall), 6:50, 7:00 (Sephardi, Nusach Sefard), 7:15 (Univ.), 7:50
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 5:00, 7:30 (Sephardi), 7:45 (Arcola & Univ.)
* Maariv/Havdalah 8:55
Monday, May 5 Basic Colors, 12:00 Noon to 6:00 PM
Tuesday, May 6 Elzee's, 11:30 AM to 9:00 PM
Wednesday, May 7 Senior Lunch, 12:00 Noon, Arcola Social Hall Speaker: Dr. Gilda Haber, "Cockney Girl"
Shabbos, May 10 Guest Scholar at 8:45 Main Minyan: Rabbi Perry Tirschwell, Exec. Dir. of NCYI
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, May 6, at 12 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Dr. Marc Katz – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director