Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
May 12-13, 2017 – 17 Iyar 5777 – Parshas Emor
Light Candles by 7:53 (and not before 6:43) – Havdalah 8:58
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by the Price Family to commemorate the 5th Yahrzeit of Dr. Clifton Price, Akiva Ben Avraham, 19 Iyar.
* Tenise & Joel Becker on the birth of a granddaughter, Batsheva Esther (Esti), born to their children Hadassah & Yitzi Becker of Yerushalayim.
* Yvette Epstein and Bob Epstein on their daughter, Daniela, being inducted in the Hall of Fame for Jewish Athletes at Yeshiva University.
* Eileen & Stan Goldschmidt on the Bar Mitzvah of their grandson, Dov Solomon, son of Andi & Josh Solomon, of Baltimore.
* Marion & Bernard Muller on the birth of a granddaughter, Talia Ahuva, born to their children Tova & Joshua Goldstein of Bet Shemesh, Israel. Mazal Tov to the extended Muller and Goldstein families.
* Gila & Rabbi Myron Wakschlag on the engagement of their daughter, Adina, to Baruch Schonbrun, son of Joyce & Ari Schonbrun of Cedarhurst, NY. Mazal Tov to grandparents Sheva Wakschlag and Judith & Rabbi Jacob Halpern, and Adina's siblings Efraim, Naomi & Matt Lubin, and Ahuva.
* Jacob Edeson who is recuperating at the Hebrew Home. Visitors are welcome.
* Light Candles by 7:53, and not before 6:43
Arcola: 6:25, 6:55, 7:55 University: N/A Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 University: N/A Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
The 9:15 Minyan will meet in the Yeshiva.
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 7:50 University: N/A Sephardi: 7:30 Nusach Sefard: 7:50
* Maariv/Havdalah: 8:58
* 8:00 and 9:15 Minyanim Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – The Price Family to commemorate the 5th Yahrzeit of Dr. Clifton Price, Akiva Ben Avraham, 19 Iyar; and by Wendee & Dr. Jack Rutner on the occasion of the Yahrzeit and recent unveiling for Anna Rutner, Z"L.
* 8:00 Minyan – Chana & Yonah Kupferstein in honor of Leora's 1/12 Birthday!
* Sephardi Minyan – Abby & Chaim Tor in memory of Chaim's father, Yosef Ben Daniel and Rivka.
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* 9:15 Minyan – Fran & Alan Broder in honor of Batsheva & Moshe Broder's birthdays in April; and by Rikki & Yitzy Schreiber in appreciation of two wonderful years with the YP family. The Minyan is truly a special group and we will miss you all dearly.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, behind the balcony.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 6:45 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evening at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact email@example.com
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM. Choose from classes:
* Timeless Talmud with Rabbi Menachem Winter
* Parsha Discourses with Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman
* Unraveling the Navi with Rabbi Hillel Shaps
* Before We Begin with Rabbi Yonatan Zakem
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Levy's Shiur for women on The Value of Modesty – based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM in the Large Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network Presents:
* Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for Men and Women, Tuesday mornings 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM.
* Rabbi Raphael Malka's Mishnah Class for Men, Tuesday mornings, 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM.
* For more information: 301-732-1773 or firstname.lastname@example.org
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur for Men and Women on Megillas Rus. Tuesdays, 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Meseches Makkos, Wednesdays at 7:00 PM at University
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for Men and Women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Wednesdays, 9:15 PM, Small Beis Medrash.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Yonatan Zakem at email@example.com or 513-313-4899.
* Men (classes located in the YISE Beis Medrash):
* Monday: 613 with Rabbi Hillel Shaps.
* Tuesday: In The Beginning with Rabbi Zacharia Schwartz.
* Wednesday: Torah Topics with Rabbi Menachem Winter.
* Thursday: Yesodei Hatorah with Rabbi Avraham Sussman.
* Thursday: Inspired Avodah with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher, Kollel Zichron Amram and Rebbe, YGW.
* Monday – Thursday: Shivti led by Rabbi Yonatan Zakem, under the guidance of Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman.
* Women (class located in the Small Social Hall):
* Monday: Women of Valor with Mrs. Sara Malka Winter.
YISE Programs and Listings
Thank You – Rebbetzin Anemer would like to thank all of the people who learned in memory of her husband, Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L and all of the people who made the Shalosh Seudos possible.
We welcome new members who were voted in at the last Board meeting: Ruth Benamou, Dr. Aviva & Meir Kramer, Harriet & Roger Levitt, Bari Perlmutter, Deena & Josh Schonfeld
Mom's Night Out – Presented by the YISE Shomrai Nursery PTA. Amazing Salads with Shushy Turin. Join us for an evening out with friends and a cooking demo of salads with Shushy Turin! Wednesday, May 17, 8:00 PM, at the home of Bayla Goodman, 11527 Monticello Avenue. $18 Suggested Donation, ($10 entry at the door). Open to women in the community.
NEXT WEEKEND: Shabbos, May 20: Scholar-in-Residence – Rabbi Yosef Mendelevich – Former "Prisoner for Zion." Author, Unbroken Spirit: A Heroic Story Of Faith, Courage and Survival. (Rescheduled from February due to winter weather.)
* After 8:45 Main Minyan Shacharis (~11:00):
Keeping Shabbos and Mitzvos Against All Odds – Kiddush follows.
* One hour before Mincha (6:55 PM):
Confessions of a Jewish Hijacker
* Between Mincha / Maariv:
Tasting and Embracing Freedom: From Prisoner for Zion to Citizen of Zion
Rabbi Mendelevich Book Signing and Private Meetings – Sunday, May 21, 10:30 AM, former Soviet refusenik Rabbi Yosef Mendelevich (our upcoming Scholar-in-Residence) will speak in the Belonofsky Sanctuary about how prayer/Tefilah can help us overcome our spiritual roadblocks and escape our personal prisons. Following his remarks, the Rabbi will autograph copies of his autobiography, Unbroken Spirit, and will meet privately with individuals. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Kabalas Hatorah: The Benefits of Being Commanded – Shiur for women with Rabbi Rosenbaum. Sunday, May 28, at 8:30 PM at the home of Bayla Goodman, 11527 Monticello Avenue.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill – YISE's Chesed Committee has a program to help members undergoing serious medical crises. If you or someone you know needs help with meals, carpools, childcare, etc., or to volunteer, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740,
email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org If you are unable to cook a meal or help out, but would like to make a donation to Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill, please contact Simi Franco in the office. There is a need in the community at this time for meals. If you can help cook, please contact Miriam or Melanie.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
YISE Annual Banquet
Sunday, May 21, 6:00 PM
Honoring: Estee & Rabbi Binyamin Silver
Community Service Award: Iris & Adam Bashein
Youth Honorees: Miriam Hillman, Leora Landy, Yehoshua Mehlman, Yael Miller, Penina Rubin
A Night Out in Venice
RSVP and place your ads Now!
Visit www.yise.org/banquet for more information.
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Social Hall, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Early care for 2-5 year-olds runs from 9:30-10:00. Groups for all ages run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
The YISE Youth Committee wants YOUR help!! Check your email, Facebook or the Shul website and fill out the NEW YISE Youth Survey with your family's information!
Annual Lag B'Omer Carnival – Sunday, May 21, 10:00 AM – 12:00 PM at Shomrai Nursery. Please park at the rear of the church lot. There will be crafts, water slide, refreshments and STREAM activities in the social hall! We look forward to seeing you there.
Annual YISE Shomrai Nursery Raffle – Great prizes including free camp, Uppa Baby stroller, Yehudis Goldfarb Photography and More!! Enter online at www.yise.org/raffle
Help Wanted: Preschool Lead Teacher
Shomrai Nursery, is hiring a preschool Lead Teacher for the two year old and three year old classes for the 2017-2018 school year.
Shomrai Nursery provides a constructive approach with play/inquiry based learning. Our educators offer investigations based on emerging interests and hands on experiences. We are mindful of children's social and emotional development and are looking for educators who are thoughtful about how they support this development, as well as children's development in the other domains; language and literacy, mathematical thinking, scientific and critical thinking, social studies, physical (both fine motor and gross motor) skills, art and creativity, health and safety awareness, and Judaic content.
We are looking for a teacher who wants to be a part of a collaborative team of professionals who work together to ensure developmentally appropriate practice in a warm, nurturing and creative setting. The position requires a bachelors or higher degree in Early Childhood Education, knowledge of best teaching practices in a constructivist approach, ability to write daily communications as well as weekly reflections, and a passion for being a co-learner who wants to awaken their students' curiosity and wonder.
Send resumes to email@example.com
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before regular Mincha.
Dirshu Daf Yomi B'Halacha on Hilchos Seuda, learn Mishna Brurah with Rabbi Eli Reingold, Monday – Thursday, 8:00 PM – 8:40 PM at the Boys Yeshiva. For information contact him at 301-996-5910 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Kesuvos. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more information, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Road.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: gemachexchange.com
Parsha Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, May 13 at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 516, at 4:00 PM.
Kemp Mill Pirchei – For boys, first through sixth grade in the Yeshiva classrooms, Shabbos afternoons, 4:00 PM – 4:55 PM. If you're interested in sponsoring, please contact, email@example.com
Chabad of Silver Spring invites the entire community to hear a lecture each Shabbos between Pesach and Shavuos from a different Kemp Mill Rabbi, from 6:00 PM – 7:00 PM at Chabad. This Shabbos the Shiur will be given by Rabbi Brahm Weinberg, Kemp Mill Synagogue.
New Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive a new Daily Halacha every morning in your inbox! To join the over 100 daily listeners, send a blank email with "Subscribe" in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org
Chabad of Silver Spring Unity Torah Dedication – Sunday May 14. 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM at Kemp Mill Shopping Center – completion of Sefer Torah, giant slides, arts and crafts, 11:00 AM – 11:30 AM – walk down Lamberton Drive with clowns and snacks along the way. 11:30 AM – 12:30 PM at Chabad – dancing with the Torah, petting zoo, BBQ lunch. Open to the community, free of charge.
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, May 17, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at email@example.com for more information.
LINKS – Share your passion, background, and knowledge to help connect others to our rich heritage through Torah study! In partnership with the Bender JCC, LINKS is a weekly learning project to bring Jewish men and women of different backgrounds together in a one-on-one format whereby a mentor can share his or her Jewish knowledge with a seeking participant. LINKS begins on Wednesday, May 17 at the Bender JCC, Wednesday evenings, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM. To volunteer to be a mentor or for more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps at 347-869-9361 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Berman Hebrew Academy 73rd Anniversary Celebration, Yom Yerushalayim Dinner and Interactive Experience – Wednesday, May 24, 7:15 PM. Honoring Drs. Josh and Lisi Levisohn. RSVP at www.mjbha.org/events
American Sign Language Class – Magen David Sephardic Congregation in Rockville is offering a 10 week American Sign Language (ASL) class for $100.00 per person. For information regarding the dates and times and to register, please contact their office at 301-770-6818 or email@example.com
Let's be safe at YISE!
Please help keep YISE a safe environment and accessible Shul for all ages. Please be careful opening the doors to avoid accidental injury to those on the other side of the door. Also, please be considerate and place any strollers or wheelchairs outside of the Shul lobby to ensure the area is accessible to all congregants.
Post Pesach Pointers – YISE and Beyond
Chometz may be purchased from the following stores immediately after Pesach 2017:
* All Capitol K establishments and caterers.
* National stores: BJ's Wholesale Club, Costco Wholesale, CVS Pharmacy, Food Lion, Kmart, Petco, PetSmart, Royal Farms, Rite Aid, Sam's Club, Save-A-Lot, Shoppers Food and Pharmacy, Trader Joe's, Walmart, Wegmans Food Markets, Walgreens, Winn-Dixie
* Stores in our community: Aldi, H Mart, Harris Teeter, MOM's Organic Market, ShopRite of White Oak, Whole Foods Market
Chometz MAY NOT be purchased from Snider's until Wednesday, May 17.
Due to possible Chometz distributed by a Jewish company, if one has an option of purchasing Chometz from other stores, it is commendable not to purchase Chometz from Giant, Safeway, and Target until Wednesday, May 17.
The Week Ahead
Sunday, May 14 – Lag B'omer Mother's Day Monday, May 15 Tuesday, May 16 Wednesday, May 17 Thursday, May 18 Friday, May 19
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 7:10 7:15 7:15 7:10 7:15
Arcola 8:00 8:00 8:00 8:00 8:00 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 7:55 7:55 7:55 7:55 7:55
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 4:56 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:28 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:42 PM
May 19-20, 2017 – 24 Iyar 5777
Parshas Behar / Bechukosai
Light Candles by 8:00 – Havdalah 9:06
* Light Candles by 8:00, and not before 6:48
Arcola: 6:35, 7:00, 8:00 University: 7:00 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 7:55 University: 7:55 Sephardi: 7:35 Nusach Sefard: 7:55
* Maariv/Havdalah: 9:06
Wednesday, May 17 Senior Lunch, Speaker: Ed Fritz "The Most Underrated President in American History"
Shabbos, May 20 Scholar-in-Residence – Rabbi Yosef Mendelevich
Shabbos, May 20 Bar Mitzvah of Eitan Green, Sephardi Minyan
Sunday, May 21 Annual Lag B'Omer Carnival, 10:00 AM – 12:00 Noon, at Shomrai Nursery
Sunday, May 21 YISE Annual Banquet, 6:00 PM
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, May 17 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager