Download the April 26 – 27 Shabbos Shorts [PDF]
Sign up to get the Shabbos Shorts emailed to you each week
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
April 26-27, 2013 – 17 Iyar 5773 – Parshas Emor
Light Candles by 7:38 (and not before 6:31) – Havdalah 8:41
* Light Candles by 7:38, and not before 6:31
* Mincha 6:20 (Arcola Social Hall), 6:45, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard and Sephardi), 7:15 (Univ.), 7:40
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 5:00, 7:20 (Sephardi), 7:35 (Arcola and Univ.)
* Maariv/Havdalah 8:41
* 8:45 Minyan Rabbi Lody Van de Kamp
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – The Price family on the occasion of the first Yahrzeit of Dr. Clifton Price, Z"L.
* 8 AM Minyan – "The Chevra"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – The Adult Education Committee in honor of our Scholar-in-Residence, Rabbi Lody Van de Kamp.
* R' Pinchas Werner – Shiur at 8:15 AM.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur on Tefilah at 6:35 PM.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 6:35 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Lody Van de Kamp – Lecture after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM-6:45 AM, Arcola Social Hall.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall. (See full description to the right.)
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays after Mincha / Maariv at University.
* Greater Washington Community Kollel:
* Linas Hatzedek – Business Ethics – Join us as we study the fascinating topic of "Halachic Dilemmas of Entrapment." Sunday mornings at 9:30 AM.
* Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster independent Gemara proficiency. Thursday evenings at 8:15 PM.
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade meet in the Small Beis Medrash; Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Groups run 10 AM-11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Like YISE on Facebook:
* Nadine & Menashe Katz on the birth of a boy. Mazal Tov to grandparents Arline & Dr. Irving Katz and Beatrice Cohen of New York City, on the birth of a grandson. Mazal Tov also to siblings Nissim, Henya Rachelle, Adina, Elisheva, Leora and Devorha. The Shalom Zachor will be at 9:00 PM at their home, 1300 Heathercrest Terrace.
YISE Programs and Listings
YISE Community Adult Education Project welcomes Rabbi Lody Van de Kamp, the former communal Rabbi of Amsterdam, the Hague and Rotterdam, founding member of the 7-Member Council of Amsterdam, and noted lecturer on Jewish-Christian relations. This Shabbos, Parshas Emor, April 27. Schedule:
* After 8:45 Shacharis Minyan: The Moslem and Jewish European Communities: the Challenges Ahead. Kiddush follows
* Between Mincha and Maariv: Shechita and Mila Problems in Europe: Religion Moving to the Backyards of Society
Welcome to all the participants in "Springtime in Silver Spring," the Singles Shabbaton sponsored by YISE, National Council of Young Israel, Woodside Synagogue Ahavas Torah and the Vaad Harabanim of Greater Washington.
YISE Together-for-5 – Resumed Monday, April 22!!! Join us for a 3 week series of audio Shiurim by Rabbi Rosenbaum focusing on Insights and Concepts of the First Section of Shemoneh Esrei. For more info, visit www.yise.org/together-for-5.
Chometz may be purchased from all stores beginning on Sunday, April 28. Anyone with questions about specific stores or products is welcome to contact Rabbi Rosenbaum.
SSEA Special Appeal – The Eruv needs additional funds for this fiscal year (thru September 30). Please be sure you have done your part. Requested contribution of $36 per household (less or more is OK); checks payable to YISE Eruv Fund, mailed to SSEA at 11113 Lombardy Rd., Silver Spring, MD 20902. More SSEA info at http://wp.yise.org/community-resources/eruv-info/.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill – YISE's Chesed Committee has started a program to help members undergoing serious medical crises. If you or someone you know needs help with meals, carpools, childcare, etc., or to volunteer, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org or pick up a form in the lobby.
Job Assist Events:
* Interview Skills – Harvey Kramer will explain how to sharpen your interview skills and answer tough questions. Free. Monday, April 29, 7:30 PM – 9:00 PM, Arcola Social Hall. To register, please email DMarwick@JobAssist.org.
* Create a Resume: Begin with the End in Mind – Learn how employers review resumes and what they are looking for in candidates. Tuesday, April 30, 7:00 PM – 8:00 PM. Free. Online. Info and register at www.oujobs.org.
* 50+ Employment Expo – Meet recruiters from dozens of employers. Learn about resumes, interviewing, surfing the net for jobs, changing careers, and online applications. Friday, May 17, 10:00 AM – 3:00 PM, Marriott Bethesda North Hotel and Conference Center. 5701 Marinelli Road, Bethesda. Info at www.accessjca.org.
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands and thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett – 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
YISE Nursery Programs and Listings
Lag B'Omer Raffle – Grand Prize: A weekend getaway for 10 at The Cove, a luxury dream home right on the Eastern Shore. 2nd Prize: 7 weeks of summer fun at Camp Shomrai 2013. 3rd Prize: Top of the line Baby Gear from Babies 1st. Plus 10 more great prizes. Contact YISE Nursery at 301-593-7365 or email@example.com for more information.
Lag B'Omer Carnival – Sunday April 28, 11:00 AM – 1:30 PM at YISE Nursery. Sinai Mountain Boys, Moonbounce, Food & Games, Face Painting, Puppet Show, Arts & Crafts. $5/child, $25 max/family.
Spring into Action! – Cardio and strength interval training to boost your metabolism, build lean muscle, and maximize fat burning! Exercise for health with experienced, certified personal trainer, Julie Vogel. Wednesday evenings from 7:30 PM – 8:30 PM. 8 week session, May 8 through July 3 (no class Shavuot, May 15). $95 plus one time building fee of $10. Drop-in fee $15. Demo class on May 1 ($5 only). YISE Nursery Recreation Room. Bring a yoga mat and 3lb or 5lb weights. For questions call Julie at 301-448-6378 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Register with email@example.com. Women only.
Community Programs and Listings
Mazal Tov to former YISE members Avital & Dr. Avi Grunhaus on the Bar Mitzvah of their son, Yechezkel. Mazal Tov to his siblings Eitan, Aviaad, Yisrael, Rivka, Tova Tamar and Bat-Sheva.
Kemp Mill Pirchei will be meeting from 4:00 PM – 4:55 PM in the Yeshiva classrooms. If you're interested in sponsoring a Pirchei, please contact either Pinchas Werner or Rabbi Cortell.
The Women's Discussion Group will meet 5:30 PM at the home of Mrs. Klavan, 1006 Lamberton Drive. We will be reading gThe Garden of Emunah.h
MJBHA Annual Community Wide Lag B'omer Celebration – Sunday, April 28, 4:30 PM – 7:30 PM. Rain or shine. Carnival sponsored by 10th grade students. Moon bounce, carnival games, inflatables, snow cones, popcorn, face painting, relay races, bonfire, and more! Admission is free. There will be a charge for games, snacks and activities.
MJBHA Preschool PTO/Vaad Horim – Lag B'Omer Play Date – Sunday, April 28, 4:00 PM – 6:00 PM. MJBHA current, prospective and incoming preschool children will enjoy their own special play area! Short tours of the Preschool will take place at 4:30, 5:15 and 6:00. RSVP appreciated: Morah Rebecca at firstname.lastname@example.org or Andrea Muzin at email@example.com.
Idan Ianovici, a former gChaiyal Bodedh (Lone Soldier) in the Israel Army who is now Executive Director of The Lone Soldier Center in Memory of Michael Levin, ZhL, will be speaking at the home of Gail & Chaim Sanders, 604 Lamberton Drive, on Monday, April 29, 8:15 PM. For more information call Gail at 301-593-8838 or www.lonesoldiercenter.com.
Greater Washington Community Kollel (GWCK) Legacy Dinner for Rabbi Kalman Winter ZTL on Sunday evening, May 5, at Beth Sholom. For dinner reservations and ad journal opportunities, please see www.GWCKLegacyDinner.adjournal.com.
Sulam's 13th Annual Event . Monday, May 6, Beth Sholom, Potomac. Honoring the late Linda Kahan and MJBHA graduating student Lisa Reiz. For information contact firstname.lastname@example.org
MJBHA Girls' Choir Performance for women, Thursday, May 9, Rosh Chodesh Sivan, 7:00 PM, MJBHA Sylvia S. Ely Auditorium. The show will include performances by the MJBHA dance company, and will be followed by a dairy reception. For more info: email@example.com.
The Golden Network Presents: gShavuos – Can We Sign The Contract?h By Rabbi Shmuel Leigh. Thursday, May 9, 9:00 AM, Shacharis at 8:00. Woodside Synagogue – Ahavas Torah. For more information: 301- 338- 4810 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Please save your long flowing locks for Zichron Menachem to help make wigs for young cancer patients. There are 2 more options, both at reputable salons in the area on Monday, May 20 and Tuesday, May 21. For further information or to make an appointment contact Nancy Mehlman at email@example.com.
The Mikvah Emunah Society is holding its annual dinner on Wednesday, May 22, at the Newton White Mansion. Please join us as we honor Mr. Yitz Kasdan and Mrs. Chayie Chinn. Look for your invitation in the mail or make your reservation online at mikvahemunah.com. For more information, contact Caroline Namrow at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Week Ahead
Sunday, April 28 Lag B'Omer Monday, April 29 Tuesday, April 30 Wednesday, May 1 Thursday, May 2 Friday, May 3
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
University 8:00 6:15 6:30 6:30 6:15 6:30
Sephardi 7:30 6:05 6:15 6:15 6:05 6:15
Arcola 7:45 7:45 7:45 7:45 7:45 See Shabbos schedule
University 7:45 N/A N/A 7:45 N/A
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 5:17 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:35 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:41 PM
May 3-4, 2013 – 24 Iyar 5773
Parshas Behar / Bechukosai
Light Candles by 7:45 – Havdalah 8:48
* Light Candles by 7:45, and not before 6:37
* Mincha 6:25 (Arcola Social Hall), 6:45, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard and Sephardi), 7:15 (Univ.), 7:15 (Ruach), 7:45
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 5:00, 7:25 (Sephardi), 7:40 (Arcola and Univ.)
* Maariv/Havdalah 8:48
Shabbos, April 27 Scholar-in-Residence: Rabbi Lody Van de Kamp
Shabbos, April 26 and 27 YISE Singles Shabbaton
Friday, May 3 Ruach Minyan, 7:15, Arcola Social Hall
Wednesday, May 1 Senior Lunch
Monday, May 6 Man With the Truck, 5:30 PM to 9:30 PM
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, May 1, at 12 noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday thru Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM and Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Dr. Marc Katz – President
Alan Zimmerman – Executive Director