Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
August 3 – 4, 2018 – 23 Av 5778 – Parshas Eikev – Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 7:59 – Havdalah 9:01
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Fay Kasser commemorating the Yahrtzeit of her father, Avrohom ben Yitzchak Tzvi Hakohen, and by Jodi & David Mazel to thank the community for their kind support, calls, and visits during the Shiva and Shloshim period for David's brother Joel, Z"L.
* Esther & Alan Baldinger on the birth of a grandson, born to Yiscah and Ezra Baldinger. Mazal Tov also to all the siblings, cousins, and extended family. The Shalom Zachor is scheduled for 9:30 PM – 11:00 PM at 700 Bromley St.
* Lea & Paul Lieberman on their granddaughter, Jessica Brandsdorfer, receiving a gold medal at the Maccabi games in Israel.
* Lois & Sid Meyers on the birth of a great-grandson, born to Basya & Moshe Tzvi Strauss of Lakewood, NJ. Grandparents are Jessica & Rabbi Yekusiel Strauss of South Fallsburg, NY.
* Yolanda & Alan Oslick on the birth of a grandson. Parents are Alisa & Jacob Oslick of Highland Park, NJ.
* Tobi & Avi Rothschild on the birth of a son.
* Roz & Shmuel Shafner on the recent birth and Bris of their grandson, Yedidya Menachem, son of Tamar & Effy Shafner, and little brother to big siblings Ayelet, Yosef and Nadav. The Bris took place in Efrat, Israel on Tisha b'Av (nidche).
* Helene Zeltser and the entire Zeltser family on the birth of a grandson, Brayden Elliot, to Daniel and Brittany Zeltser of Dallas, TX.
* Light Candles by 7:59, and not before 6:49
Ashkenazi: 6:30, 7:00, 8:00 Sephardi: 7:15 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:00, 7:55 Sephardi: 7:40 Nusach Sefard: 7:55
* Shabbos Ends: 9:01
* 8:45 Main Minyan, 9:15 Rabbi Silver
* 8:00 Rabbi Amram Hes
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* Sephardi Minyan – "Sephardic Group"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – the Zeltser family commemorating the sixth Yahrtzeit of Mel Zeltser, Elimelech Yehuda ben Shmuel Tzvi HaKohen.
* 9:15 Minyan – Ari & Rebecca Elias-Bachrach so we don't have to have a week without Chulent.
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman- Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, after Hashkamah Minyan, lower lobby.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 5:30 PM, Large Social Hall.
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 6:55 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver – Shiur after Mincha
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual selfimprovement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash, will resume August 12.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony, will resume August 7.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org, will resume August 7.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash, will resume August 8.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM in the room behind the Balcony, will resume August 8.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evenings at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM, will resume August 12.
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for Men and Women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sunday evenings in the Social Hall, will resume August 19.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Yonatan Zakem at email@example.com or 513-313-4899, will resume August 13.
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the room behind the Balcony.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for men and women, Tuesday mornings 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM. For more information: 301-732-1773 or firstname.lastname@example.org
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Succah, Wednesdays at 7:00 PM in the Social Hall, will resume in late August.
YISE Programs and Listings
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish History on Monday, August 6 from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM at 1111 University Blvd. W. in the Penthouse. Light refreshments will be served. For more info, contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or email@example.com
"Maximizing Elul" – women's shiur with Rabbi Rosenbaum, Sunday night, August 12, 8:30 PM at the home of Nancy Karkowsky, 1142 Kersey Road.
Living with Dementia – Sunday, August 19, 10:30 AM – 12:15 PM, YISE Social Hall. Learn the difference between ordinary memory decline and dementia. Understand changes that result from dementia, and legal and financial steps one should take. Hear from experts, caregivers and a senior in the early stage of dementia. Each of us can play a role in supporting community members affected by dementia. Attend this free presentation and panel discussion presented by Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington, Dementia Friendly America, and YISE. Co-sponsored by KMS, SSJC, Ohr Hatorah, SEHC and Chabad of Silver Spring.
Hashomer – The Rosh Hashanah Hashomer will be published soon. To include your Rosh Hashanah greetings, place an ad or submit an article, email firstname.lastname@example.org or contact the YISE office as soon as possible.
Yizkor Guide – The Yizkor Guide is used in all Minyanim for four Yizkor services during the year (Yom Kippur, Shemini Atzeres, Pesach and Shavuos.) As before, an unlimited number of name listings are available in the new guide for a Yizkor Guide sponsorship of $180. Alternatively, individual name listings can be purchased for $18 each. The deadline for Yizkor Guide sponsorships or individual listings is August 12. To sign up online, go to www.yise.org/yizkor If you have questions, please contact Marc Katz at email@example.com or Debbie Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program is a service to help members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help out. Please note that by signing up, you are not committing to help with anything specific. You will be notified when volunteers are needed, and if you are available at that time, we would appreciate if you could help. If you wish to be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Member of YISE needs rides daily from Kemp Mill to the Hebrew Home in Rockville and back. Please contact Miriam Friedman at email@example.com or Melanie Karlin at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Scholar in Residence
The YISE Community Adult Education Project welcomes Rabbi Reuven Brand
Rosh Kollel, YU Torah Mitzion Kollel of Chicago
Bobins Family Chair in Community Jewish Scholarship
Shabbos Re'eh – August 11
* After 8:45 AM Shacharis Minyan – "Elul: Somber or Celebration" *Kiddush Follows*
* One Hour Before Mincha – "A Vision of Chesed"
* Between Mincha and Maariv – "The Secret to Preparing for the Days of Awe: Community"
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Beis Medrash, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups:
2-5 year-olds 9:30 AM – end of 8:45 minyan in the youth room behind the Balcony.
1st-4th grade 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM at the Yeshiva.
Walking group leaves at 10:00 AM.
Girls meet in the main lobby.
Boys meet outside the Social Hall.
Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur Babysitting will be offered for 2-10 year olds at $10 per child, per day from 10am-1pm. Spots are limited. Contact email@example.com to pay and reserve a spot. Questions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
YISE Family Nature Hike on Northwest Branch, Sunday August 5th, 10am promptly – 12(ish) – weather permitting. (contact email@example.com Sunday morning for questions). We will meet at the bottom of Lamberton (near Claybrook) and walk approximately 3 miles.
Shabbos Groups Director – Job Opportunity The YISE Youth Committee is seeking a Shabbos Groups Director for Shabbos youth groups for the 2018-2019 school year. Excellent communications skills and experience working with pre-school through school aged children are a necessity. For more information or to apply, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Shomrai Preschool News
Shomrai Preschool Tuition Subsidy Update – Big news! Annual income limits to qualify for childcare tuition assistance via Maryland's Child Care Subsidy (CCS) Program have increased dramatically as of August 1. A family of 4, for example, now qualifies for financial assistance with a maximum annual income of $71,525, while a family of 6 must make less than $94,413. For more information, please see the Shomrai Preschool website which contains a link to this updated information:
We hope that this new legislation can help more families in our community benefit from the quality early childhood education offered by Shomrai Preschool.
Still Time to Register – Our classes are filling up but there are still a few spaces in our 2 year old, 3 year old, and Pre-K programs. Please contact Suri Kinzbrunner at email@example.com for more information. We look forward to having your child at Shomrai Preschool this coming school year!
Lead Teacher – Shomrai Preschool is looking for a lead teacher for 2018-2019 who wants to be part of a collaborative team of professionals working together to ensure developmentally appropriate practice in a warm, nurturing, and creative setting. We provide a constructive approach with play/inquiry based learning. We are mindful of children's social and emotional development, as well as children's development in language and literacy, mathematical thinking, scientific and critical thinking, social studies, physical skills, art and creativity, health and safety awareness, and Judaic content. Send resumes to Suri Kinzbrunner at firstname.lastname@example.org
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before Mincha.
Learn Mishnah Brurah Hilchos Shabbos in 18 Months – Shiur for men with Rabbi Eli Reingold. Monday through Thursday, 8:00 – 8:45 PM at the Boys Yeshiva. Questions? Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Nedarim. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more info, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301- 996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
Rabbi Marvin Goldman's Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, August 4, at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 516, at 4:30 PM.
The Value of Modesty – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for women, based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: gemachexchange.com
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, August 8, 8:00 PM – 9:15 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator & leader. Contact Debbie Katz at email@example.com for more information.
Rebuilding the Bais Hamikdash by Building a Stronger Community – During this somber time of year, your support for the Capital Kosher Pantry of Yad Yehuda is as important as ever. Please help to sustain our local brothers and sisters in need by donating non-perishable food in sealed, nonbreakable containers, within the "Use By" date. Juices, tuna, boxed macaroni and cheese, nuts, oil, salt, granola bars, paper towels, toilet paper, toothpaste and soap are very much appreciated. Collection boxes are located in many community Shuls, in Moti's Market and in Shalom Kosher. Please call 301-842-7135 ext. 706 for further assistance.
Help our Senior Neighbors – What if you had to give up your car keys and depend on someone else to get you where you needed to go? This is happening to more and more of our senior neighbors. Consider volunteering with the Senior Connection to drive seniors to medical appointments. Training and liability coverage are provided, and you can set your own volunteering schedule. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org, call 301-962-0820 or visit www.seniorconnectionmc.org
The Week Ahead
Sunday August 5 Monday August 6 Tuesday August 7 Wednesday August 8 Thursday August 9 Friday August 10
Ashkenazi 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 6:00, 7:15 6:10, 7:15 6:10, 7:15 6:00, 7:15 6:10, 7:15
Ashkenazi 8:00 8:00 8:00 8:00 8:00 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 7:55 7:55 7:55 7:55 7:55
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 5:20 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:43 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:49 PM
August 10 – 11, 2018 – 30 Av 5778
Parshas Re'eh – Rosh Chodesh
Light Candles by 7:51 – Havdalah 8:52
* Light Candles by 7:51, and not before 6:42
Ashkenazi: 6:25, 6:55, 7:55 Sephardi: 7:15 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:00, 7:50 Sephardi: 7:35 Nusach Sefard: 7:50
* Maariv/Havdalah: 8:52
Monday, August 6 The Man With The Truck, 6:30 PM – 9:30 PM
Shabbos, August 11 Rabbi Reuven Brand, Scholar-in-Residence
Sunday, August 19 Living with Dementia, 10:30 AM, Social Hall
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, August 8 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: email@example.com
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager