Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
August 26-27, 2016 – 23 Av 5776 – Parshas Eikev – Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 7:28 (and not before 6:24) – Havdalah 8:27
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Florence & Lawrence Radkowsky to commemorate the Yahrzeits of their fathers: Emanuel Kramer (Menachem Nosson Ben Mordechai HaKohen) and Aaron Radkowsky (Aharon Ben Leib Zalman HaKohen).
* Debby & Barry Greengart on the Bar Mitzvah of their grandson, Chaim Greengart, son of Laya & Eli Greengart of Baltimore.
* Elaine & Rabbi William Millen on the birth of a great-grandson, Akiva Avraham, to their grandchildren Loni & Gavriel Velenski of Yerushalayim.
* Elaine & Rabbi William Millen on the marriage of their grandson, Harry Velenski, son of Penina & Jack Velenski of Brooklyn to Laya Kobre, daughter of Faygi & Eitan Kobre of Bayswater, NY.
* Ruth Rochel & Yitz Stokes on the marriage of her nephew Tyler Funk to Martika Matsushita, both of the Seattle area.
* Gila & Rabbi Myron Wakschlag on the engagement of their daughter, Naomi, to Matt Lubin, son of Teri & David Lubin of West Hempstead, NY. Mazal Tov to grandparents Sheva Wakschlag and Judith & Rabbi Jacob Halpern, and her siblings Efraim, Adina, and Ahuva.
* Light Candles by 7:28, and not before 6:24
Arcola: 6:30, 7:30 University: 7:15 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
The 9:15 Minyan meets in the Boys' Yeshiva.
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 7:25 University: 7:25 Sephardi: 7:05 Nusach Sefard: 7:25
* Maariv/Havdalah: 8:27
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 and 9:15 Minyanim Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* 8:00 Minyan – "The Chevra"
* Sephardi Minyan – Avi & Luna Perez
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* 9:15 Minyan – "The 9:15 Group"
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, behind the balcony.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 6:20 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 6:25 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur at 6:55 PM.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha at University.
* Rabbi Silver – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual selfimprovement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony – will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Social Hall. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash – will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evening at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM – program will resume in September.
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network's Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or email@example.com
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:20 PM at University – will resume September 7.
YISE Programs and Listings
President's Vacation – Michael Shimoff is on vacation through Tuesday, August 30 and will have limited connectivity. During this time, questions can be addressed to Sammy Franco (Vice President 1) at firstname.lastname@example.org
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish History on Monday, September 12, from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM at 1111 University Blvd. W., apt. 215. Light refreshments will be served. For information, please contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or email@example.com
Greater Washington Community Kollel Presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – Beginning Monday, September 12, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM at YISE.
* Monday: 613 – Uncover the beauty of the Mitzvos and their deeper meaning, with Rabbi Hillel Shaps.
* Tuesday: In The Beginning – A study of Bereishis exploring the fundamental and critical concepts of Genesis, with Rabbi Zacharia Schwartz.
* Wednesday: Torah Topics – An in-depth analysis of Halachic and Hashkafic themes drawn from the weekly Parsha, with Rabbi Menachem Winter.
* Thursday: Yesodei Hatorah – Broaden and enhance the Talmud skills necessary for independent study, with Rabbi Avraham Sussman.
* Thursday: Inspired Avodah – Developing spiritual pathways through the Parsha and Sefer Alei Shur, with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher, Kollel Zichron Amram And Rebbe, YGW
* Monday – Thursday: Shivti – This acclaimed curriculum allows participants to delve into Talmudic topics (a different topic weekly), either with a Chavrusa or with a group led by Rabbi Yonatan Zakem. Program is under the guidance of Rabbi Yitzhak Grossman, who will also be presenting bi-weekly lectures on the weekly topic.
* All men's classes located in the YISE Beis Medrash.
* Monday: Women Of Valor – A study of the great women of Tanach and their everlasting legacies, with Mrs. Sara Malka Winter. Located in the small Social Hall.
For more information, please contact Rabbi Yonatan Zakem at firstname.lastname@example.org or 513-313-4899.
YISE Annual Barbecue – Sunday, September 18, 3:00 PM – 6:00 PM at YGW Boys Campus (In case of rain, event will be held at YISE.) Free door prize to the first 30 families! Hamburgers, hot dogs and more! Moonbounce for little kids and obstacle moon bounce for older kids. Face painting. Fun for all ages! Adults: $10, Children 2-8: $5, Family Maximum: $45. To RSVP, please go to: www.yise.org/bbq If you have questions, contact email@example.com
High Holiday Planning:
* High Holiday seat requests should be sent in ASAP. Use the form that was sent in the mail a few weeks ago or download the fillable PDF from www.yise.org/seats Payment by check or call the Shul office (Simi at 301-593-4465 x403) with credit card information.
* YISE Youth is pleased to offer babysitting for Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur for children ages 2-5 from 10:00 AM – 1:00 PM for $10 per day. Please fill out the form and submit payment for your spot. Only 20 spots available each day. For more info, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
High Holiday Edition of HaShomer – Ads are still being accepted for the High Holiday edition of HaShomer. Contact email@example.com or the YISE office.
Yizkor Guide – YISE is publishing a new Yizkor Guide, which will contain the tefillos said at Yizkor in the order said in our Shul. Sponsorships are available at $180 per family for unlimited names, or $18 for each name. Details & forms available at www.yise.org/yizkor The deadline is September 3. If you have questions or suggestions, contact Marc Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org or Debbie Katz at dkatz@yise org
SAVE THE DATE: Ruach Minyan – Friday, September 23, at 6:45 in the Arcola Social Hall. While there is no formal program for children, Daveners of all ages are welcome to bring in Shabbos with us. So bring the kids and tell your friends. It's going to be Gevaldic.
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
YISE Youth Announcements
RESUMING THIS WEEK: The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Early care for 2-5 yearolds runs from 9:30-10:00. Groups for all ages run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
The Youth Committee is looking for new group leaders for next year (girls and boys). Time can be counted as Chesed hours. There are special activities for leaders as appreciation. Please contact Sarah at email@example.com
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before regular Mincha.
Dirshu Daf Yomi B'Halacha on Hilchos Krias HaTorah, learn Mishna Brurah with Rabbi Eli Reingold, Monday – Thursday, 40 minutes before Mincha in the YISE Social Hall. For information contact him at 301-996-5910 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Kesuvos. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more information, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Parsha Shiur at University Towers – This Shabbos, August 27, at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 316, at 5:00 PM.
Tips for a Successful Elul and Rosh Hashana – Shiur with Rabbi Yitzchak Scher. Tuesday, August 30 and Tuesday, September 6 at1:30 PM – 2:15PM in the YISE Small Beis Medrash. We will resume at the JCC on September 13. Men and women are welcome.
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, August 31, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. It's contest time! Come see your neighbors as they compete for best Humorous Speech and Table Topics. Contact Scott Schlesinger at email@example.com for more information.
Pirchei is coming! Calling all boys, first through sixth grade! Pirchei is starting up Parshas Re'eh, September 3, in the classrooms at the Yeshiva, 4:00 PM – 4:55 PM. See you there! To join our e-mail list, contact Ranon Cortell or Pinchas Werner at firstname.lastname@example.org
Not A Minor Issue: A Child's Obligation to Halacha – Semi-Annual Yom Iyun for Men with the Kollel Zichron Amram of YGW-Tiferes Gedaliah. Sunday, September 18. Foxman Bais Medrash, Boys Campus. Schedule: 8:00 AM Davening, 8:45 AM community breakfast, 9:30 AM Hakdamah – an introduction to the learning by Rabbi Eli Reingold, Rosh Kollel, 9:45 AM Learning Seder with opportunities to learn the source material in Chavrusas with the Rabbis and alumni of the Kollel as well as Rabbanim from the Shuls in the Greater Washington area. 11:50 AM Shiur by Rabbi Eli Reingold, Rosh Kollel, 12:35 PM Closing remarks by Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky, Rosh HaYeshiva. 12:45 PM program ends.To RSVP or for more information: contact Rabbi Moshe Haim Blate at 404-273-3392 or email@example.com
Hadassah Presents: The Power of Women Who Do! An educational program highlighting women role models of the past and present, from Biblical times to the present and into the future. Our featured speakers are Sharon Freundel, Lisa Davidson, Anat Alon-Beck, Liza Levy, and Ilene Rosenthal. Sunday, September 18, 9:30 AM – 2:30 PM, Beth Sholom Congregation. Register by calling the Hadassah office at 301-881-8203, or https://www.facebook.com/hadassahgw/
The Week Ahead
Sunday, August 28 Monday, August 29 Tuesday, August 30 Wednesday, August 31 Thursday, September 1 Friday, September 2
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 6:10, 7:10 6:15, 7:15 6:15, 7:15 6:10, 7:10 6:15, 7:15
Arcola 7:25 7:25 7:25 7:25 7:25 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 7:20 7:20 7:20 7:20 7:20
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 5:45 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:51 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:42 PM
September 2-3, 2016 – 30 Av 5776
Parshas Re'eh – Rosh Chodesh
Light Candles by 7:18 – Havdalah 8:16
* Light Candles by 7:18
Arcola: 6:30, 7:20 University: 7:15 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 University: 8:30 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 7:15 University: 7:15 Sephardi: 6:55 Nusach Sefard: 7:15
* Maariv/Havdalah: 8:16
Monday, August 29 The Man with the Truck, YISE Social Hall, 6:00 PM – 9:30 PM
Wednesday, September 7 Senior Lunch, YISE Social Hall, 12:00 Noon Harp concert by Arpa Amore "All Kinds of Love"
Sunday, September 18 YISE Annual Barbecue, YGW Boys Campus, 3:00 PM – 6:00 PM
Friday, September 23 Ruach Minyan, YISE Social Hall, 6:45
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, August 31 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director