Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
August 15-16, 2014 – 20 Av 5774 – Parshas Eikev
Light Candles by 7:45 (and not before 6:38) – Havdalah 8:45
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Jan Meisler in honor of his wife, Naomi, and children, Esther, Nossi and Chaya, in appreciation for their hard work preparing this year's Aliyah card mailing.
* Light Candles by 7:45, and not before 6:38
* Mincha 6:45, 7:00 (Sephardi, Nusach Sefard), 7:15 (Univ.), 7:45
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 5:00, 7:25 (Sephardi), 7:40 (Arcola & Univ.)
* Maariv/Havdalah 8:45
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 Minyan Rabbi Josh Blaustein
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – Lucy & Bernie Blitzstein, on the Yahrzeit of Bernie's grandfather, Shaul Ben Avraham Halevi.
* 8:00 Minyan – "The Chevra"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – Marion & Bernie Muller on the occasion of the Aufruf of their son Moshe and his upcoming marriage to Marlena Grossman, daughter of Caren & Dr. David Grossman AND by Abby & Chaim Tor in honor of their new grandson, Yosef (Joey) Chaim Tor, born to Adina & Dani Tor, and in observance of the Shloshim for Abby's father, Jack Paul Fine.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur is on break until August 23.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur at 6:45 PM.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Simi & Sammy Franco on the birth of a granddaughter born to their children Luna & Avi Perez. Mazal Tov also to the great-grandparents, Janet Rottenberg and Dottie & Nathan Franco, and to all the aunts, uncles and cousins.
* Bayla & Jeremy Goodman on the birth of a son. Mazal Tov also to the grandparents, Gloria Feldman and Helene & Gary Goodman, and to siblings, Amram and Eliana, and to the entire Goodman & Feldman families.
* Judy & David Stern on the engagement of their son, Moshe, to Abby Figat. Mazal Tov to his sister and brother-in-law Shira & Adam Rosenbaum and a special Mazal Tov to grandmother Sue Stern.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Haftoros Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver's Halacha Shiur for Men, Tuesdays at 7:00 PM, in the Social Hall. Each week will be a stand-alone topic and next we will be discussing "Halachos of Krias Hatorah."
* Torah Hour with breakfast and learning, Tuesday mornings following the 8:30 Shacharis, in the Arcola Social Hall. Open to men and women. For more information 301-338-4810 or email@example.com.
* Beis Medrash Zichron Gedaliah for Men, Tuesdays at 8:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall. (Mincha at 7:45 PM. Maariv at 9:00 PM.) – will resume later in the summer.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 6:50 PM at University – will not meet for the next few weeks.
* GWCK Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster Gemara proficiency, Thursdays at 8:45 PM – will resume on September 4.
YISE Programs and Listings
YISE Annual BBQ "Summer Luau" – Join YISE friends and families as we come together for a wonderful summer celebration to enjoy good foods while wearing our favorite Hawaiian shirts. Bring your beach blankets and chairs to lounge around while we do the grilling! Games, raffles, crafts and more! Fun for all ages! Sunday, August 17, 4:30 PM – 7:00 PM, YGW Boys' School, Price: $10 per adult, $6 for ages 2-8. For more information visit www.yise.org/bbq
Halacha Shiur for Women – Rabbi Rosenbaum will continue his monthly women's Halacha Shiur. The next one will be Sunday, August 17 at 8:30 PM at the home of Dana Sicherman, 912 Lamberton Drive. The topic will be Muktzeh.
YISE Announces a Special Seudah Shlishit to take place in the YISE Social Hall on August 30 following the regular Mincha, wishing "Tzaitchem L'Shalom" to those Shul members making Aliyah, as well as offering thanks to the IDF and lending support to those in our community with family members in the IDF. To reserve, volunteer and/or help sponsor this event, call Esther at the shul office, 301-593-4465, ext. 402 or email Marilyn Schwartz at firstname.lastname@example.org
High Holiday Preparations – The High Holiday seating form is now available on the YISE web site, and can be completed on line. There are also copies in the box in the lobby outside the Sanctuary and outside the Beis Medrash. Seats not requested will be reassigned to other members that have requested them. Visit www.yise.org/seats It is also important that your financial obligations have been paid up; seats cannot be reserved if there are outstanding obligations. Statements were sent out in early July; if you did not receive yours, please call the Shul office for a copy.
YISE is searching for a new Youth Minyan Coordinator. If interested, please send a resume to email@example.com
The YISE Hospitality Committee strives to make YISE a warm and welcoming place. So that we are able to provide hospitality for guests and new community members, we are compiling a list of people who are willing to occasionally host guests for Shabbos meals. If you are able to host, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org
The YISE Banquet Committee is looking for volunteers to assist with the banquet. Specifically, we are seeking volunteers to help obtain donations for a raffle that will be included as part of the banquet this year. The volunteers can also help design the raffle prize packages to be presented at the banquet. If you would like to volunteer, please contact Elise Saks (email@example.com) and/ or Rachelli Simon (firstname.lastname@example.org). In addition, if anyone has anything to donate (jewelry, toys, baby gear, small appliances, etc.) to the raffle, please contact Elise or Rachelli.
GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch & Learn for Men – Start your week off the right way with your choice from classes being offered at YISE on Sunday mornings! Join us for bagel brunch at 9:30 AM, followed by classes from 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM. Program is on break and will resume on Sunday, August 31.
YISE Nursery registration for 2014-2015 school year – Call 301-593-7365 with questions or to make an appointment for a tour.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill – YISE's Chesed Committee has a program to help members undergoing serious medical crises. If you or someone you know needs help with meals, carpools, childcare, etc., or to volunteer, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org . If you are unable to cook a meal or help out, but would like to make a donation to Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill, please contact Simi Franco in the office.
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
The Haimish Kiddush Group was created in 2010 to ensure that there will be a kiddush following the 8:45 Minyan every Shabbos. The Group would like to invite you to join them. The cost to become a member is $100. You can also choose to be set up with automatic renewal that will charge you each year for the Haimish Kiddush Group. If you are interested in joining or have any questions, please contact Raph Ginsburg at email@example.com
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will not meet for the rest of the summer, and will resume in September.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony. Groups run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up your child(ren) promptly.
Parsha in the Park!!!! Families are invited to come join us across the street from YISE to play in the park, eat popsicles, and learn about the Parsha with Rabbi Rosenbaum on Shabbos, August 16, at 5:00 PM!!!
The current situation in Israel gives all of us great concern. Please Daven and do Mitzvos with an added intensity as a merit for the safety of our fellow Jews.
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before regular Mincha, and Sunday at 6:30 AM.
Women's Discussion Group – Shabbos afternoons, 5:30 PM at the home of Mrs. Klavan, 1006 Lamberton Drive, reading "Getting to Know Your Soul" by Rabbi Ittamar Schwartz, author of Bilvavi Mishkan Evneh.
Tehillim – Wednesday mornings. Contact Arleeta Lerner for details 301-649-0552.
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, August 20, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Boys' SEED Summer Learning and Activity Program – For rising 6th-11th graders. Davening, Learning, & Activities, through August 21, 8:30 AM – 2:00 PM. Please bring cereal and a bagged lunch. We will provide milk and paper goods. Located at the YGW-Tiferes Gedaliah Boys' Campus. Cost: $25 per week per student. To sign up or for more information contact Rabbi Simmy Merkin at email@example.com, 301-962-5111 ext. 1522.
The unveiling for Cynthia Abrams will be Sunday August 17 at 12:00 noon at the Garden of Remembrance in Clarksburg, MD.
Save the Date – Cantor Yehoshua Redfern in Concert – Leah M. Smith Hall at the Clarice Smith Performing Arts Center, University of Maryland / College Park. Come enjoy an exciting afternoon of magnificent and outstanding Jewish, Cantorial, Israeli, Oratorio and Broadway repertoire. Sunday, November 9, 2:00 PM. Piano accompaniment by the legendary Cantor Daniel Gildar, Philadelphia PA.
Job Assist Events:
* LinkedIn Basics – Monday, August 18 (please note new date), 7:30 PM – 9:00 PM, KMS. Free. To reserve a seat, please email DMarwick@JobAssist.org
* Federal Jobs – Free webinars on Monday, August 25. (1) Tips and Tricks for Federal Job Applications and (2) 10 Steps to a Federal Job. Info and register at www.resumeplace.com
The Week Ahead
Sunday, August 17 Monday, August 18 Tuesday, August 19 Wednesday, August 20 Thursday, August 21 Friday, August 22
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
University 8:00 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Sephardi 7:30 6:05 6:15 6:15 6:05 6:15
Arcola 7:40 7:40 7:40 7:40 7:40 See Shabbos schedule
University N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 5:33 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:47 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:46 PM
August 22-23, 2014 – 27 Av 5774
Parshas Re'eh – Shabbos Mevorchim
Light Candles by 7:35 – Havdalah 8:34
* Light Candles by 7:35, and not before 6:30
* Mincha 6:35, 7:00 (Sephardi, Nusach Sefard), 7:15 (Univ.), 7:35
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 5:00, 7:15 (Sephardi), 7:30 (Arcola & Univ.)
* Maariv/Havdalah 8:34
Shabbos, August 16 Aufruf of Moshe Muller
Shabbos, August 16 Parsha in the Park, 5:00 PM
Sunday, August 17 YISE Annual BBQ "Summer Luau"
Wednesday, August 20 Senior Luncheon, Arcola Social Hall, Program: "Israel: The Royal Tour," DVD with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, August 20, at 12 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday through Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Michael Shimoff – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Maurie Rosenberg – Executive Director