Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
August 11-12, 2017 – 20 Av 5777 – Parshas Eikev
Light Candles by 7:49 (and not before 6:42) – Havdalah 8:50
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week anonymously to give Hakaras Hatov to Hakadosh Baruch Hu.
* Barbara Price and family on the Shabbos Nachamu B'nei Mitzvah of her twin grandsons, Eliezer and Ephraim Spivak in West Orange, NJ, sons of Debra & Rabbi Marc Spivak. Mazal Tov to two great-grandmothers, grandparents Cheryl & Dr. Howard Spivak and to all of the aunts, uncles, and cousins.
* Gila & Rabbi Myron Wakschlag on the marriage of their daughter Adina to Baruch Schonbrun. Mazal Tov to Adina's grandparents, Sheva Wakschlag and Judith & Rabbi Jacob Halpern. Mazal Tov and welcome to Baruch's parents Joyce & Ari Schonbrun of Cedarhurst, NY, and Baruch's siblings and their families.
* Light Candles by 7:49, and not before 6:42
Arcola: 6:50, 7:50 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 7:45 Sephardi: 7:25 Nusach Sefard: 7:45
* Maariv/Havdalah: 8:50
* 8:00 and 8:45 Main Minyanim Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* Sephardi Minyan – Elizabeth & Adir Bochris in honor of their new baby girl.
* 8:45 Main Minyan – Aliza & Russell Kwiat in honor of Tova's upcoming Aliya and Moshe's upcoming return to civilian life after almost five years in the IDF; and by the Zeltser family to commemorate the fifth Yahrzeit of Mel Zeltser, A"H.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, Rabbi's Study.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, behind the balcony.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 6:40 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Silver – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony – will resume August 20.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony – will not meet on Tuesday.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org – will resume August 22.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash – will resume August 23.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the Balcony – will resume August 23.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evenings at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact email@example.com
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – will resume on Sunday, August 27.
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network Presents:
* Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for Men and Women, Tuesday mornings 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM.
* Rabbi Raphael Malka's Mishnah Class for Men, Tuesday mornings, 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM.
* For more information: 301-732-1773 or firstname.lastname@example.org
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur – will resume on Tuesday, August 22.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Shiur – will resume on Wednesday, August 23.
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur – will resume on Sunday, August 27.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai).
* Men – will resume on Monday, August 28.
* Women – will resume in the fall.
YISE Programs and Listings
Rabbi's Vacation – Rabbi Rosenbaum will be on vacation through Wednesday, August 16. Shaalos can be addressed to Rabbi Silver, 917-363-5840. Anyone who needs to speak with Rabbi Rosenbaum regarding an urgent matter can call the shul office, 301-593-4465, and Rabbi Rosenbaum will be contacted.
NEXT WEEK: Ruach Minyan – Friday, August 18, 7:00 PM in the Arcola Social Hall. It's going to be Gevaldic! For more information contact: email@example.com
High Holiday Preparations:
* Seating – High Holiday seat requests should be sent in ASAP. The committee will begin assigning seats next week. Please use the forms that were sent in the mail a few weeks ago or download the fillable PDF from www.yise.org/seats Payment by check or call the Shul office (Simi at 301-593-4465 x403) with credit card information. We appreciate your cooperation in submitting your request as soon as possible.
* HaShomer – Deadline for articles and ads has been extended to Wednesday, August 16. Articles should be short (500 words or less) and of general interest to our membership. Articles are subject to approval and editing. Articles as well as New Year's greetings and other ads may be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org or contact the YISE office.
* Babysitting – All spots are now full.
* Yizkor Guide – Work is now underway for the YISE 5778 Yizkor Guide. The Yizkor Guide is used in all Minyanim for four Yizkor services during the year (Yom Kippur, Shemini Atzeres, Pesach and Shavuos.) As before, an unlimited number of name listings are available in the new guide for a Yizkor Guide sponsorship of $180. Alternatively, individual name listings can be purchased for $18 each. The deadline for Yizkor Guide sponsorships or individual listings is Rosh Chodesh Elul, which is August 23. To sign up online, go to yise.org/yizkor If you have questions, please contact Marc Katz at email@example.com
Three Year Old Preschool Lead Teacher – Shomrai Nursery is looking to hire a preschool Lead Teacher for the three year old class for the 2017-2018 school year. We are looking for a teacher who wants to be a part of a collaborative team of professionals who work together to ensure developmentally appropriate practice in a warm, nurturing and creative setting. The position requires knowledge of best teaching practices in a constructivist approach, ability to write daily communications as well as weekly reflections, and a passion for being a co-learner who wants to awaken their students curiosity and wonder. Please send resumes to Ruthie Cohen at firstname.lastname@example.org
Our Relationship with Food: Breaking Up is Hard To Do – Learn how to change to a healthy way of eating; gain insights from medical research regarding nutrition and diet; hear Torah insights on the challenge of overeating, and answers to frequently asked halachic questions on Shabbos eating and dieting. Speakers: Rabbi Rosenbaum, Yale Ginsburg, Lisa Landy, and Dr. Theo Heller. Sponsors: Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington, YISE, KMS, SSJC, SEHC, Ohr Hatorah, and Chabad of Silver Spring. Sunday, August 20, 10:30 AM – 12:00 Noon. YISE, Small Social Hall.
YISE Annual Barbecue – Monday, September 4, 4:00 PM – 7:00 PM at YGW Boys Campus (In case of rain, event will be held at YISE). Free door prize to the first 30 families! Hamburgers, hot dogs, pargiyot, kabobs, and more! Moon bounces for older and younger kids, face painting, treats, and prizes…fun for all ages! Adults: $10, Children 2-8: $5, Family Maximum: $45. To RSVP, please visit: www.yise.org/bbq If you have questions, contact email@example.com
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Beis Medrash, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Early care for 2-5 year-olds runs from 9:30 AM – 10:00 AM. Groups for all ages run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Join YISE Youth for Parsha and Popsicles in the Park (Kemp Mill Urban) on Shabbos, August 19 at 4:30 PM.
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before regular Mincha.
Learn Mishnah Brurah Hilchos Shabbos in 18 Months – Shiur for men with Rabbi Eli Reingold. Monday through Thursday, 40 minutes before Mincha at YISE. Questions? Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Kesuvos. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more information, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive a new Daily Halacha every morning in your inbox! To join, send a blank email with "Subscribe" in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Road.
The Value of Modesty – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for women, based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM, 609 Hyde Road.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: gemachexchange.com
Pirkei Avos Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, August 12 at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 516, at 5:00 PM.
Kol Ha'Nearim (formerly known as Avos U'Banim) – Shabbos afternoons, 5:15 PM – 6:00 PM, at Ohr Hatorah. Open to the entire community. Food and treats provided. Questions: Jared Hershenson at email@example.com
The Evolution of Different Mikveh Practices – Yoetzet Halacha Bracha Rutner will be speaking this Shabbos afternoon, August 12, at 5:30 PM, for women only, at the home of Naomi & Ori Carmel, 1212 North Belgrade Road. Please contact her if you would like to set up a time to speak privately over Shabbos at firstname.lastname@example.org
Free Workshop on Federal Jobs – Details of Applying for Federal Jobs. Monday, August 14, 8:00 PM to 9:30 PM, YISE Small Social Hall. To reserve a seat, please contact DMarwick@JobAssist.org
LINKS – Share your passion, background, and knowledge to help connect others to our rich heritage through Torah study! In partnership with the Bender JCC, LINKS is a weekly learning project to bring Jewish men and women of different backgrounds together in a one-on-one format whereby a mentor can share his or her Jewish knowledge with a seeking participant. At the Bender JCC on Wednesday evenings 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM. To volunteer to be a mentor or for more information, please contact Rabbi Hillel Shaps at 347-869-9361 or email@example.com
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, August 16, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Boys SEED Summer Learning at YGW–Tiferes Gedaliah – For rising 6th-11th graders. Through Tuesday, August 15, 8:30 AM – 2:30 PM. 8:30 AM Davening/ Breakfast; 9:30 AM Learning; 11:30 AM Lunch; 12:00 Noon Activity; 1:00 PM Swimming; 2:30 PM Pick up. Please bring cereal and a bagged lunch. We will provide milk and paper goods. Drop off: YISE. Pick up: YGW Boys Campus. Cost: $75 per week per student, $125 for full program. Trips cost extra. To register or for more information contact Rabbi Simmy Merkin at email@example.com, 301-962-5111 ext 1522.
Registration is now open for Ko-ach Sports – Sunday leagues: Soccer (boys and girls K-4) and flag football (boys 5-8th grade). Early Bird registration ends August 14. Register online at www.Ko-achSports.com or contact Josh Hollander at Info@Ko-achSports.com
Summer Track Meet – Sunday, August 27, 4:00 PM – 6:00 PM, Montgomery Blair H.S. Track. Girls K-4th Grade and Boys K- 8th Grade. Register online at www.Ko-achSports.com or contact Josh Hollander at Info@Ko-achSports.com
OU Survey – The OU is conducting a national survey of the Orthodox community. If you are interested in participating please visit http://bit.ly/Orthodox-Survey and complete the survey by August 31.
BCGW MitzvahCycle 2017 – Sunday, September 10. Raise money for BCGW and help us save lives one pedal at a time! Registration required and sponsorships are available. Information can be found at www.bikurcholimgw.org
The Week Ahead
Sunday, August 13 Monday, August 14 Tuesday, August 15 Wednesday, August 16 Thursday, August 17 Friday, August 18
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 7:10 7:15 7:15 7:10 7:15
Arcola 7:50 7:50 7:50 7:50 7:50 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 7:45 7:45 7:45 7:45 7:45
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 5:29 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:46 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:48 PM
August 18-19, 2017 – 27 Av 5777
Parshas Re'eh – Mevorchim Hachodesh
Light Candles by 7:40 – Havdalah 8:40
* Light Candles by 7:40, and not before 6:34
Arcola: 6:40, 7:00 (Ruach), 7:40 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 7:35 Sephardi: 7:15 Nusach Sefard: 7:35
* Maariv/Havdalah: 8:40
Wednesday, August 16 Senior Lunch, 12:00 Noon, Arcola Social Hall – "The Story of the Jews" with Simon Schama
Wednesday, August 16 YISE Board Meeting, 8:15 PM
Friday, August 18 Ruach Minyan, 7:00 PM, Arcola Social Hall
Sunday, August 20 Our Relationship with Food: Breaking Up is Hard To Do, 10:30 AM, Arcola Social Hall
Monday, September 4 YISE End of Summer BBQ, 4:00PM – 7:00PM, YGW Boys Campus
Sunday November 12 "Superhero" Community Blood Drive, 10:00 AM – 3:00 PM, Arcola Social Hall
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, August 16 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday-Thursday 9:00 AM through 5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager