Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
July 28-29, 2017 – 6 Av 5777 – Parshas Devarim – Shabbos Chazon
Light Candles by 8:05 (and not before 6:54) – Havdalah 9:08
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week in honor of our amazing parents, Harriet & Ronald Sheinson.
* Lianne & Theo Heller on the birth of a grandson, Asher Israel Alexander, born to Mouchka & Dov Heller. Mazal Tov to grandparents, Eva & Rabbi Eliyahu Darmon, and great-grandparents, Phyllis & Joshua Heller and Valerie Cohen. Mazal Tov to the uncles Lev, Ezra and Eliezer Heller and aunts Chani, Odelle, and Perla Darmon.
* Light Candles by 8:05, and not before 6:54
Arcola: 6:40, 7:05, 8:05 Sephardi: 7:15 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
The 9:15 Minyan will Daven at the Yeshiva.
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 8:00 Sephardi: 7:40 Nusach Sefard: 8:00
* Maariv/Havdalah: 9:08
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00 and 9:15 Minyanim Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* 8:00 Minyan – "The Chevra"
* Sephardi Minyan – Luna & Avi Perez
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* 9:15 Minyan – "The 9:15 Group"
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur at 9:00 AM, behind the balcony.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan, Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi Levy – Shiur at 6:55 PM, Large Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony – will not meet on Tuesday.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org – will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the room behind the Balcony
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evenings at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact email@example.com – will not meet this week.
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – will resume on Sunday, August 27.
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the Beis Medrash.
* The Golden Network Presents:
* Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for Men and Women, Tuesday mornings 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM – will not meet this week.
* Rabbi Raphael Malka's Mishnah Class for Men, Tuesday mornings, 10:00 AM – 10:45 AM – will not meet this week.
* For more information: 301-732-1773 or firstname.lastname@example.org
* Rabbi Yitzchak Scher's Shiur – will resume on Tuesday, August 22.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Shiur – will resume on Wednesday, August 23.
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur – will resume Wednesday, August 30.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai).
* Men – will resume on Monday, August 28.
* Women – will resume in the fall.
YISE Programs and Listings
We welcome new members who were voted in at the last Board meeting: Cassie & Hector Mariscal
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish History on Monday, August 7, 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM at 1111 University Blvd. West in the Penthouse. Light refreshments will be served. For information, please contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or email@example.com
High Holiday Seating – High Holiday seat requests should be sent in ASAP. The committee will begin assigning seats next week. Please use the forms that was sent in the mail a few weeks ago or download the fillable PDF from www.yise.org/seats Payment by check or call the Shul office (Simi at 301-593-4465 x403) with credit card information. We appreciate your cooperation in submitting your request as soon as possible.
High Holiday Edition of HaShomer – Deadline for articles and ads is Monday, August 7. Articles should be short (500 words or less) and of general interest to our membership. Articles are subject to approval and editing. Articles as well as New Year's greetings and other ads may be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org or contact the YISE office.
Yizkor Guide – Work is now underway for the YISE 5778 Yizkor Guide. The Yizkor Guide is used in all Minyanim for four Yizkor services during the year (Yom Kippur, Shmini Atzeres, Pesach and Shavuos.) As before, an unlimited number of name listings are available in the new guide for a Yizkor Guide sponsorship of $180. Alternatively, individual name listings can be purchased for $18 each. The deadline for Yizkor Guide sponsorships or individual listings is Rosh Chodesh Elul, which is August 23. To sign up online, go to yise.org/yizkor If you have questions, please contact Marc Katz at email@example.com
Three Year Old Preschool Lead Teacher – Shomrai Nursery, an Orthodox Jewish Preschool in Silver Spring, Maryland, is looking to hire a preschool Lead Teacher for the three year old class for the 2017-2018 school year. We are looking for a teacher who wants to be a part of a collaborative team of professionals who work together to ensure developmentally appropriate practice in a warm, nurturing and creative setting. The position requires knowledge of best teaching practices in a constructivist approach, ability to write daily communications as well as weekly reflections, and a passion for being a co-learner who wants to awaken their students curiosity and wonder. Please send resumes to Ruthie Cohen at firstname.lastname@example.org
Capitol Kosher Pantry – A CKP collection box is in our lower lobby. Donations are accepted at any time. Please consider those in our community who depend on the CKP and bring a donation when you come for Tisha B'Av programming. Non-perishable food in sealed non-breakable containers within the "use by" date are requested. Items such as juice, cereal, proteins, mac and cheese, baking goods (in bags please), and diapers are very much appreciated. For more information, please visit www.yadyehuda.org
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org/s-111-rabbi-gedaliah-anemer.html
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill – YISE's Chesed Committee has a program to help members undergoing serious medical crises. If you or someone you know needs help with meals, carpools, childcare, etc., or to volunteer, please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, email@example.com or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, firstname.lastname@example.org If you are unable to cook a meal or help out, but would like to make a donation to Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill, please contact Simi Franco in the office.
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Tisha B'Av Schedule
Monday, July 31 – Erev Tisha B'Av
* Mincha (Arcola Belonofsky Sanctuary and Sephardi) 6:00 PM
* Fast Begins 8:20 PM
* Maariv / Eicha (Sephardi) 8:45 PM
* Maariv / Eicha (Arcola Belonofsky Sanctuary and Arcola Social Hall) 9:05 PM
Tuesday, August 1 – Tisha B'Av
* Arcola Social Hall 6:00 AM
* Arcola Belonofsky Sanctuary 6:35 AM
* Sephardi 7:00 AM
* Arcola Social Hall 7:30 AM
* Arcola Belonofsky Sanctuary – including Kinos with Commentary by Rabbi Rosenbaum 8:30 AM
* Chatzos 1:14 PM
* Early Mincha (Arcola Belonofsky Sanctuary) 2:00 PM
* Chofetz Chaim Foundation Video #1 – Arcola Social Hall 2:45 PM
* Chofetz Chaim Foundation Youth Video – Arcola Small Social Hall 2:45 PM
Sponsored by the Yehuda Mond Foundation and YISE
* Chofetz Chaim Foundation Video #2 – Arcola Social Hall 5:45 PM
* Regular Mincha (Arcola Belonofsky Sanctuary) 7:45 PM
* Mincha (Sephardi) 7:50 PM
* Maariv (Arcola Belonofsky Sanctuary) 8:35 PM
* Fast Ends 9:04 PM
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Social Hall, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony; Girls 1st-4th grade gather in the main lobby and Boys 1st-4th grade gather outside the Social Hall and walk to the Yeshiva. Early care for 2-5 year-olds runs from 9:30-10:00. Groups for all ages run 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM. Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
The YISE Youth Committee wants YOUR help!! Check your email, Facebook or the Shul website and fill out the NEW YISE Youth Survey with your family's information!
YISE Disability Awareness and Inclusion
YISE is broadening its ongoing efforts to increase participation and inclusion for individuals with disabilities within our community. There are two exciting initiatives underway. The Sagon House of the Jewish Foundation of Group Homes (JFGH) is located just outside of Kemp Mill on Colt Terrace. JFGH has approached YISE about helping the Jewish adults who live there become true members of our community. In addition, the YISE Disability Awareness and Inclusion Committee is now officially in formation. The primary goal of this new committee is to identify ways that we can better support community members when they come to Shul. If you would be interested in participating in one or both of these initiatives, please come to a kickoff meeting on Sunday, July 30 at 8:00 PM in the YISE Social Hall. For more information, please contact Debbie Katz at 301-675-6684 or email@example.com
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before regular Mincha.
Learn Mishnah Brurah Hilchos Shabbos in 18 Months – Shiur for men with Rabbi Eli Reingold. Monday through Thursday, 40 minutes before Mincha at YISE. Questions? Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Kesuvos. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more information, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive a new Daily Halacha every morning in your inbox! To join, send a blank email with "Subscribe" in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Road.
The Value of Modesty – Rabbi Levy's Shiur for women, based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM, 609 Hyde Road.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: gemachexchange.com
Pirkei Avos Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, July 29 at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 516, at 5:00 PM.
Cheryl Stern Summer Shiurim for Women – This Shabbos, July 29 at 5:30 PM, by Laura Margulies about "Why is the idea of Mashiach, or the end of days, not in the Chumash, or is it?" at the home of Risa & Moshe Margulies, 11613 Yeatman Terrace.
Avos U'banim – Every Shabbos afternoon, 5:15 PM – 6:00 PM, at Ohr Hatorah. Open to the entire community. Food and treats provided. Questions: contact Jared Hershenson at email@example.com
The Unveiling of the Matzaiva of Dr. George Weiss, Z"L, will take place at 11:00 AM on Sunday, July 30, at Mt. Lebanon Cemetery. Please note the location is in the YISE section near the entrance to the cemetery on the left (coming from Adelphi Road).
Toastmasters' Meeting – Wednesday, August 2, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator and leader. Contact Scott Schlesinger at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Free Workshops on Federal Jobs – Monday, August 7: Overview of the Federal Hiring Process; Monday, August 14: Details of Applying for Federal Jobs. Both in YISE Small Social Hall, 8:00 PM to 9:30 PM. To reserve a seat, please contact DMarwick@JobAssist.org
Boys SEED Summer Learning at YGW–Tiferes Gedaliah – SEED Summer Learning and Activity Program for rising 6th-11th graders. Wednesday, August 2 – Tuesday, August 15, 8:30 AM – 2:30 PM. 8:30 AM Davening/ Breakfast; 9:30 AM Learning; 11:30 AM Lunch; 12:00 Noon Activity; 1:00 PM Swimming; 2:30 PM Pick up. Please bring cereal and a bagged lunch. We will provide milk and paper goods. Drop off: YISE. Pick up: YGW Boys Campus. Cost: $75 per week per student, $125 for full program. Trips cost extra. To register or for more information contact Rabbi Simmy Merkin at email@example.com, 301-962-5111 ext 1522.
Ko-ach Sports Presents a Summer Track Meet! Join us for a new Jewish Community event! Sunday, August 27, 4:00 PM – 6:00 PM, Montgomery Blair H.S. Track. Have your kids get the feel of a real track meet by running, jumping and racing their friends! Prepare for speed in the sprinter starting blocks and make the baton hand off in the relay race! Girls K-4th Grade and Boys K- 8th Grade. Race your friends! Top finishers in each race receive a ribbon. Register online at www.Ko-achSports.com or contact Josh Hollander at Info@Ko-achSports.com
BCGW MitzvahCycle 2017 – Sunday, September 10. Raise money for BCGW and help us save lives one pedal at a time! Registration required and sponsorships are available. Information can be found at www.bikurcholimgw.org
OU Survey – The OU is conducting a national survey of the Orthodox community. If you are interested in participating please visit http://bit.ly/Orthodox-Survey and complete the survey by August 31.
The Week Ahead
Sunday, July 30 Monday, July 31 – Erev Tisha B'Av Tuesday, Aug. 1 – Tisha B'Av Wednesday, August 2 Thursday, August 3 Friday, August 4
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:00, 6:35, 7:30, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 7:10 7:00 7:15 7:10 7:15
Arcola 8:05 6:00 / 9:05 2:00, 7:45 / 8:35 8:05 8:05 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 8:00 6:00 / 8:45 7:50 / 8:20 8:00 8:00
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 5:14 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:40 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:50 PM
August 4-5, 2017 – 13 Av 5777
Parshas Vaeschanan – Shabbos Nachamu
Light Candles by 7:58 – Havdalah 8:59
* Light Candles by 7:58, and not before 6:49
Arcola: 6:35, 7:00, 8:00 Sephardi: 7:15 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Arcola: 2:30, 5:00, 7:55 Sephardi: 7:35 Nusach Sefard: 7:55
* Maariv/Havdalah: 8:59
Sunday, July 30 Kickoff Meeting – YISE Disability Awareness and Inclusion, 8:00 PM
Wednesday, August 2 Senior Lunch, YISE Social Hall, 12:00 Noon – Speaker: Leslie Kessler LCSW-C – "How the Jewish Social Service Can Help"
Monday, September 4 YISE End of Summer BBQ, 4:00PM – 7:00PM
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, August 2 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday, Wednesday, Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM,
Tuesday 1:30 PM – 5:00 PM and Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager