Parashas Devarim/Shabbos Chazon – July 12-13, 2013
Download the July 12-13, 2013 Shabbos Shorts [PDF]
Sign up to get the Shabbos Shorts emailed to you each week
Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
July 12-13, 2013 – 6 Av 5773 – Parshas Devarim / Shabbos Chazon
Light Candles by 8:16 (and not before 7:03) – Havdalah 9:22
* Light Candles by 8:16, and not before 7:03
* Mincha 6:50 (Arcola Social Hall), 7:00 (Univ., Nusach Sefard and Sephardi),7:30, 8:20
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 5:00, 8:00 (Sephardi), 8:15 (Arcola and Univ.)
* Maariv/Havdalah 9:22
* 8:00 and 8:45 Minyanim Rabbi Rosenbaum
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* 8 AM Minyan – Adina & Josh Obstfeld in celebration of the birth of their daughter, Rose Lily.
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* R' Pinchas Werner – Shiur will not meet this week.
* Mrs. Yocheved Arzouan – Shiur on break until August 10.
* Rabbi David Hyatt – Shiur after Hashkamah Minyan.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
* Rabbi William Millen – Shiur on Tefilah at 7:15 PM.
* Rabbi Yehoshua Levy – Shiur at 7:15 PM.
* Rabbi Amram Hes – Shiur at 7:45 PM.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum – Shiur after Mincha at Arcola.
* R' Moshe Kasser – Shiur after Mincha at University.
* Yael & Ranon Cortell on the birth of a son, Azriel Dovid. Mazal Tov also to grandparents Cheryl Epstein and Harriet Cortell.
Tisha B'Av Schedule
Monday, July 15 – Erev Tisha B'Av
* Mincha (All locations) 6:00 PM
* Fast Begins 8:33 PM
* Maariv / Eicha (All locations, including Youth in the Arcola Social Hall) 9:20 PM
Tuesday, July 16 – Tisha B'Av
* Arcola Social Hall 6:00 AM
* Sephardi 6:00 AM
* Arcola Belonofsky Sanctuary 6:35 AM
* Arcola Social Hall 7:30 AM
* Arcola Belonofsky Sanctuary – including Kinos with Commentary by Rabbi Rosenbaum 8:30 AM
* Chatzos 1:15 PM
* Early Mincha (Arcola Belonofsky Sanctuary) 2:00 PM
* Chofetz Chaim Foundation Video – Rabbi Eytan Feiner and Rabbi Eli Mansour – Arcola Social Hall 2:45 PM
* Chofetz Chaim Foundation Youth Video – Arcola Small Social Hall 2:45 PM
* Just A Word – Project Inspire Video – Arcola Social Hall 4:00 PM
* What's Wrong with this Picture – Rabbi Hanoch Teller (in person) – Arcola Belonofsky Sanctuary 7:00 PM
* Regular Mincha (Arcola Belonofsky Sanctuary & Univ.) 8:00 PM
* Sephardi – Mincha / Maariv 7:55 PM
* Maariv (Arcola Belonofsky Sanctuary & Univ.) 8:55 PM
* Fast Ends 9:20 PM
YISE Programs and Listings
Help make a Minyan! – We are looking for volunteers who would like to participate in the Mitzvah of helping to make a Minyan three or four times per year. We are putting together a list in order to form a rotation to help the University Blvd. Shul make a Mincha/Maariv Minyan on Fridays and Shabbos days when they anticipate a shortfall. Please contact Melvin Sassoon at email@example.com to be part of this endeavor.
Community Service Day – co-sponsored by YISE, KMS, & MJBHA. Come do a mitzvah! Two options: do one or do them both. On July 14, we will be doing a park cleanup from 10:00 AM – 12:00 noon. Bags and gloves will be distributed by the steps at the Kemp Mill Shopping Center Park. From 12:00 noon – 2:00 PM, come help out at A Wider Circle (distribution center) at 9159 Brookville Rd, 301-608-3504 (limited to 20 people). Upper School students get community service hours. For more information and to RSVP for A Wider Circle, please contact Miriam Friedman at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Rabbi's Vacation – Rabbi Rosenbaum will be away from July 18 through July 25. Rabbi Hyatt and Rabbi Walter, of Woodside (301-980-8953) have kindly agreed to make themselves available for shaalos during that time. Anyone who needs to contact Rabbi Rosenbaum for an urgent matter should contact the office staff, who will contact him.
Deadline Extended – The deadline for HaShomer Rosh Hashanah greetings has been extended to Wednesday, July 17! Send in your Greetings to your friends and the YISE community at HaShomer@yise.org or drop it by the office.
New Shiur Starting – Oops, that was the Fleishig serving spoon you just used in the lasagna! Is dinner ruined?! A new Halacha Chabura is forming that will help you understand the answers to this and many other questions. Rabbi Rosenbaum will lead the Chabura, which will meet once a week after Maariv, to review materials provided by Yeshiva Pirchei Shoshanim. For more details, please contact Seth Jacobson at HalachaChabura@yise.org. An introductory meeting will be held Tuesday, July 30.
Job Assist Events:
* Computer Training Online
(1) Excel for Intermediate Users. Four classes starting Monday, July 15.
(2) Dreamweaver for Beginners. Monday, July 15. Info and register at www.oujobs.org.
* Beyond LinkedIn: Using Other Social Media in Your Job Search – Tuesday, July 23, 7:30 PM – 9:00 PM, Kemp Mill Synagogue.
To reserve a seat, contact DMarwick@JobAssist.org.
Do the mitzvah of bikur cholim!
Visit people in Kemp Mill who would greatly appreciate it. Community Service credit may be earned as well. For more information, please contact Miriam Friedman at email@example.com.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self-improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM in the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM-6:45 AM, Arcola Social Hall. Shiur will resume on Tuesday, July 30.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Tehillim Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the small Beis Medrash. Shiur will resume on Wednesday, July 31.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM, in the small Beis Medrash.
* Bais Medrash Zichron Gedaliah will resume later in the summer. Stay tuned for more information.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, Wednesdays at 7:10 PM before Mincha at University.
* Greater Washington Community Kollel:
* Linas Hatzedek – Business Ethics – Join us as we continue the fascinating topic of "Dina D'malchusa Dina: The Intersection of Jewish and Secular Law." Sunday mornings at 9:30 AM.
* Yesodei Hatorah, a skills-building program designed to foster independent Gemara proficiency. Shiur will resume on Thursday, August 15.
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups: 2-5 year-olds meet in the youth room behind the balcony. Groups run 10 AM-11:15 AM. Please pick up your child(ren) promptly.
Community Programs and Listings
The Women's Discussion Group will meet 5:30 PM at the home of Mrs. Klavan, 1006 Lamberton Drive. We will be reading "The Garden of Emunah."
Women's Daytime Tehillim, Wednesdays, 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM. Contact Arleeta Lerner for information,301-649-0552.
Mesorah Women's Learning Institute Presents:
* Women in the Holocaust – guest speaker Ruth Lichtenstein, publisher, international Holocaust lecturer, author. Sunday, July 14, YISE at 8:00 PM. Tuition $8. Women only.
* Three Different Kings, Three Different Perspectives Topics from Melachim Alef – Mrs. Esther Schwarz, Wednesdays: July 17 and 24 at the home of Mrs. Ita Mond, 527 Northwest Drive, 8:00 PM. Tuition $18. Women only.
* Nine Ways of Understanding Tefillos That Seem to Go Unanswered – Rebbetzin Nechama Karlinsky, Wednesday, July 31, Southeast Hebrew Congregation at 8:00 PM. Tuition $10. Women only.
* A Woman's Ticket to Eternity: Discover Your Inner Strengths – Mrs. Chana Silver, Sunday, July 28, Southeast Hebrew Congregation at 8:00 PM. Tuition $10. Women only.
For more information visit www.mesorahwomenslearninginstitute.com or contact Sorah Rivkah Goodman at 301-681-6347 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Join the SEED Guys! The Yeshiva of Greater Washington, together with Torah Umesorah, is excited to bring to the community a summer learning and activity program. Through August 2. For boys going into grades 6-11. Davening/ Breakfast: 8:30- 9:45. (Bring your own cereal; milk and paper goods will be provided.) Learning: 9:30 AM – 12:30 PM. Lunch: 12:30 PM (bring your own dairy lunch). Activity: 1:00 PM – 3:00 PM: Sports, Swimming, Trip once a week. Cost: FREE (except cost of the trips). The SEED Guys will be available to learn with men and boys in the evenings. A schedule of synagogue placements will be forthcoming. For more information and to sign up contact Rabbi Simcha Merkin at 301-962-5111 ext. 1522 or email@example.com. Program will be held at the YGW Boys Campus.
The Annual Rabbi Morris D. And Rebbetzin Esther Rosenblatt Z"L Memorial Lecture – Leon Wieseltier, Literary Editor of The New Republic and recipient this month of Israel's prestigious Dan David Prize, will deliver the lecture on Sunday, July 14, at Congregation Kneseth Israel, 1125 Spa Road, Annapolis, MD 21403. Light breakfast at 10:15 AM, lecture at 11:00 AM. All are cordially invited to attend.
Fill the Void – Save the date for a special screening of the critically acclaimed film, by Rama Burshtein, Monday, July 22, 15 Av, Tu B'Av, at the Bethesda Landmark Theater, 7235 Woodmont Avenue, Bethesda, 7:30 PM. Advance purchase required. Visit www.mjbha.org to purchase today. Tickets: $15/per person; $25/two tickets.
Food Donations – The Yehudah Mond Foundation regularly receives donations of food that have been prepared under reliable supervision for various Simchas. If you are interested in receiving food, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and provide a phone number and email address where you can be reached.
Volunteer for the Chevra Kadisha – The Chevra Kadisha of Greater Washington needs volunteers to conduct Taharot, the process by which bodies of Jews are prepared for burial according to Jewish tradition. For more information or to volunteer: For men, contact Saul Singer, SSinger@dcbar.org. For women, contact Devorah Grayson, email@example.com or 202-438-7060.
The Week Ahead
Sunday, July 14 Monday, July 15 – Erev Tisha B'Av Tuesday, July 16 – Tisha B'Av Wednesday, July 17 Thursday, July 18 Friday, July 19
Arcola 6:30, 7:30, 8:45 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:00, 6:35, 7:30, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
University 8:00 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Sephardi 7:30 6:05 6:00 6:15 6:05 6:15
Arcola 8:20 6:00 / 9:20 2:00, 8:00 / 8:55 8:20 8:20 See Shabbos schedule
University 8:20 6:00 / 9:20 8:00 / 8:55 8:20 N/A
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis & Tefillin: 4:57 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:34 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:51 PM
July 19-20, 2013 – 13 Av 5773
Parshas Vaeschanan / Shabbos Nachamu
Light Candles by 8:12 – Havdalah 9:17
* Light Candles by 8:12, and not before 7:00
* Mincha 6:50 (Arcola Social Hall), 7:00 (Univ., Nusach Sefard and Sephardi), 7:15, 8:15
* Shacharis 7:00, 7:00 (Nusach Sefard), 8:00, 8:15 (Sephardi), 8:30 (Univ.), 8:45
* Mincha 2:30, 5:00, 7:55 (Sephardi), 8:10 (Arcola and Univ.)
* Maariv/Havdalah 9:17
Wednesday, July 17 Senior Lunch, 12:00 Noon, Arcola Social Hall, Program will be a Harpist, Judith Mostyn White.
Monday, July 22 The Man with the Truck, 5:30 PM to 9:00 PM, Arcola Social Hall
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, July 17, at 12 noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Office Hours: Monday, Wednesday, Thursday 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Tuesday 1:15 PM – 5:00 PM and Friday 9:00 AM-2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Dr. Marc Katz – President
Alan Zimmerman – Executive Director