Young Israel Shomrai Emunah – Shabbos Shorts
July 20 – 21, 2018 – 9 Av 5778 – Parshas Devarim – Shabbos Chazon
Light Candles by 8:12 – Havdalah 9:16
The Shabbos Shorts is sponsored this week by Vivian Kirshenbaum with Weichert Realtors Office: 301-681-0550 Cell: 301-318-1313
* Judy & Louis Morris on the birth of a great-grandson to Michal & Yossi Marchette of Lakewood, NJ.
* Light Candles by 8:12, and not before 6:59
Ashkenazi: 6:40, 7:15, 8:15 Sephardi: 7:15 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:00, 6:30 Sephardi: 5:30 Nusach Sefard: 6:30
* Shabbos Ends: 9:16
Anyone driving to shul, changing into non-leather shoes, or doing any other Shabbos prohibited activity before/without davening Maariv should make sure to say "Baruch Hamavdil Bein Kodesh Lechol" before doing so. Havdalah will be recited following Tisha B'Av.
* Maariv/Eicha: 9:30
* 8:45 Main Minyan Rabbi Rosenbaum
* 8:00, 9:15 Rabbi Silver
* Hashkamah/Nusach Sefard – "The Group"
* 8:00 Minyan – Aliza & Gil Chlewicki and family in commemoration of the third Yahrtzeit (4 Av) of Gil's father, Meir Chlewicki (Meir ben Gronim HaLevi).
* Sephardi Minyan – "Sephardic Group"
* 8:45 Main Minyan – "The Haimish Kiddush Group"
* Rabbi Tuvia Grauman – Rabbi Hyatt's Gemara Shiur, after Hashkamah Minyan, lower lobby.
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan – Shiur after Sephardi Shacharit.
Tisha B'Av Schedule
Those planning to walk to shul while it is still Shabbos to attend Maariv Saturday night should bring their non-leather shoes to Shul before Shabbos.
Shabbos, July 21 – Erev Tisha B'Av
* Fast Begins 8:29 PM
* Maariv followed by Eicha (Belonofsky Sanctuary, Nusach Sefard, Sephardi, Youth Social Hall) 9:30 PM
Sunday, July 22 – Tisha B'Av
* Belonofsky Sanctuary 6:30 AM
* Sephardi 7:30 AM
* Belonofsky Sanctuary – including Kinos with Commentary by Rabbi Rosenbaum 8:30 AM
* Chatzos 1:15 PM
* Early Mincha (Belonofsky Sanctuary) 2:00 PM
* Video Programs (Social Hall):
* Chofetz Chaim Heritage Foundation Program A – 2:45 PM – Harav Elimelech Biderman, Rabbi Yissocher Frand, Rabbi Paysach Krohn
* Chofetz Chaim Heritage Foundation for Youth 2:45 PM
* Project Inspire 4:40 PM – "The Man at the Wall" – The story of a shy "ordinary" man who accomplished the extraordinary: Reb Meir Schuster ZT"L.
* Chofetz Chaim Heritage Foundation Program B – 5:45 PM – Rabbi Yechiel Spero, Dr. David Lieberman, PhD, Mr. Charlie Harary
* Regular Mincha (Belonofsky Sanctuary) 7:55 PM
* Sephardi – Mincha / Maariv 8:00 PM
* Maariv (Belonofsky Sanctuary) 8:50 PM
* Fast Ends 9:15 PM
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Mussar Study Group for Women (spiritual self- improvement), Sundays at 9:30 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash, will resume August 12.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Gemara Shiur for Men, Tuesdays and Fridays, 6:00 AM – 6:45 AM, in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Halacha Chabura for Men, Tuesday evenings at 8:00 PM, in the Small Beis Medrash. For more details, please contact HalachaChabura@yise.org.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Nach Shiur, Wednesdays at 11:00 AM, in the Small Beis Medrash.
* Rabbi Rosenbaum's Chumash Shiur for Women, Wednesdays at 8:00 PM in the room behind the Balcony.
* Rabbi Silver's Parsha Shiur for Men and Women, a mix of Halacha and Aggada. Tuesday evenings at 7:30 PM. For more details, please contact email@example.com
* GWCK Sunday Kollel Brunch and Learn for Men – Sunday mornings. Bagel brunch at 9:30 AM followed by classes from 9:45 AM – 10:30 AM, will resume August 12.
* Rabbi Yonatan Zakem's Shiur for Men and Women, Pearls of Prayer, exploring the depth and meaning of our daily prayers. Sunday evenings in the Social Hall, will resume August 19.
* GWCK presents CLAS (Community Learning at Shomrai) – 8:15 PM – 9:15 PM at YISE. For more information, please contact Rabbi Yonatan Zakem at firstname.lastname@example.org or 513-313-4899, will resume August 13.
* Rabbi Levy's Amud Yomi Shiur, Sunday 6:25 AM- 7:25 AM and Monday through Friday 6:25 AM – 7:10 AM in the room behind the Balcony.
* The Golden Network Presents: Rabbi Barry Greengart's Shiur on Daily Halachos for Men and Women, Tuesday mornings 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM. For more information: 301-732-1773 or email@example.com
* Rabbi Moshe Arzouan's Advanced Gemara Shiur for Men, learning Maseches Succah, Wednesdays at 7:00 PM in the Social Hall, will resume in late August.
YISE Programs and Listings
Bikur Cholim of Greater Washington and the YISE Chesed Committee – Rabbi Koss will be speaking on a topic in Jewish History on Monday, August 6 from 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM at 1111 University Blvd. W. in the Penthouse. Light refreshments will be served. For more info, contact Miriam Friedman at 301-754-1517 or firstname.lastname@example.org
YISE Membership Year – The YISE 2018-2019 membership year started July 1. If you are a member you should have received a statement. If you did not receive a statement, please contact the office at email@example.com or 301-593-4465. If you would like to join YISE, contact the office.
The Rachel Bassan Horwitz Fund is used for medical needs in our area, elsewhere in the US, and in Israel. Thousands of dollars have been distributed to individuals requiring assistance. Our funds are depleting and in order to continue this much needed medical fund your financial help is needed! Tax deductible contributions may be made payable to: YISE Charity SPECIAL Fund, c/o Norma Burdett, 11720 Lovejoy St., Silver Spring, MD 20902. Earmark: Bassan Fund. For more information: Norma Burdett, 301-593-5964 or Pearl Bassan, 301-649-3137.
Helping Hands Across Kemp Mill is a part of YISE's Chesed Committee. The program is a service to help members undergoing serious medical crises. We are always looking for volunteers to help out. Please note that by signing up, you are not committing to help with anything specific. You will be notified when volunteers are needed, and if you are available at that time, we would appreciate if you could help. If you wish to be a part of this program by helping with meals, visitation, shopping, childcare, etc., please contact: Melanie Karlin, 301-681-4740, firstname.lastname@example.org or Miriam Friedman, 301-754-1517, email@example.com
Shiurim from Rabbi Gedaliah Anemer, ZT"L, are available at http://audio.yise.org
Shomrai Preschool News
Tuition Subsidy Programs – Because Shomrai Preschool wants to help ensure that every Jewish child has access to quality early childhood Jewish education, we have added information on our website about tuition subsidy programs that families may be eligible for:
Still Time to Register – We still have a few spots in our 2-year-old, 3-year-old and Pre-K programs. Please see our website or email Suri Kinzbrunner at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Lead Teacher – Shomrai Preschool is looking for a lead teacher for 2018-2019 who wants to be part of a collaborative team of professionals working together to ensure developmentally appropriate practice in a warm, nurturing, and creative setting. We provide a constructive approach with play/inquiry based learning. We are mindful of children's social and emotional development, as qwell as children's development in language and literacy, mathematical thinking, scientific and critical thinking, social studies, physical skills, art and creativity, health and safety awareness, and Judaic content. Send resumes to Suri Kinzbrunner at email@example.com
YISE Youth Announcements
The Youth Minyan will meet this Shabbos at 9:15 AM sharp in the Small Beis Medrash, followed by a Kiddush sponsored by the Youth Minyan.
Please join us this week for groups:
2-5 year-olds 9:30 AM – end of 8:45 minyan in the youth room behind the Balcony.
1st-4th grade 10:00 AM – 11:15 AM at the Yeshiva.
Walking group leaves at 10:00 AM.
Girls meet in the main lobby.
Boys meet outside the Social Hall.
Please pick up child(ren) promptly.
Scholar in Residence – August 11
Rabbi Reuven Brand
The YISE Community Adult Education Project welcomes Rabbi Reuven Brand, Rosh Kollel, YU Torah Mitzion Kollel of Chicago, Bobins Family Chair in Community Jewish Scholarship, who will be our Scholar-in-Residence on Shabbos Re¡¦eh, August 11. The schedule includes:
* After 8:45 AM Shacharis Minyan – "Elul: Somber or Celebration?" *Kiddush Follows*
* One Hour Before Mincha – "A Vision of Chesed"
* Between Mincha and Maariv – "The Secret to Preparing for the Days of Awe: Community"
Community Programs and Listings
Daf Yomi meets in the Yeshiva Beis Medrash – Sunday at 6:30 AM, Monday through Thursday at 9:00 PM, and Shabbos 1-1/2 hours before Mincha.
Learn Mishnah Brurah Hilchos Shabbos in 18 Months – Shiur for men with Rabbi Eli Reingold. Monday through Thursday, 8:00 – 8:45 PM at the Boys Yeshiva. Questions? Rabbi Reingold at 301-996-5910.
Kollel Dirshu Silver Spring is learning Maseches Nedarim. Learn in the morning (5:45 AM – 6:30 AM) or in the evening (9:00 PM – 10:00 PM) at the Boys Yeshiva. For more info, please contact Rabbi Eli Reingold at 301-996-5910 or Ranon Cortell at 240-277-2730.
Daily Halacha Program from Rabbi Eliyahu Reingold – Receive one every day in your inbox. Visit dvarhalacha.com and click "Sign Up."
Shmiras Halashon – Rabbi Levy¡¦s Shiur for men in Shmiras Halashon, weekday afternoons, 2:00 PM – 3:30 PM, 609 Hyde Rd.
Rabbi Marvin Goldman¡¦s Shiur at University Towers – Shabbos, July 21, at 1121 University Blvd. West, Apt. 516, at 4:30 PM.
The Value of Modesty – Rabbi Levy¡¦s Shiur for women, based on text by Rav Shimshon Dovid Pincus ZT"L. Alternate Sundays, 7:00 PM, 609 Hyde Road.
Silver Spring Gemachim – For a complete list: gemachexchange.com
Kemp Mill Toastmasters – Wednesday, July 25, 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM in the YISE Small Social Hall. See what Toastmasters is all about and find out how you can become a more confident communicator & leader. Contact Debbie Katz at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Free Job-Related Webinars
* Cracking the Federal Job Code, July 23, 8:00PM – 8:30 PM
* Ace Your Next Interview, July 23, 8:30 PM – 9:00 PM
* Emotional Intelligence, July 24, 8:00 PM – 8:30 PM
For more info and to register, go to: federaljobresults.com/events.htm
Shabbos Nachamu with Mrs. Shira Smiles – Mrs. Smiles will be speaking to women from 4:00 PM – 5:00 PM at Ohr HaTorah. Shalosh Seudos with Mrs. Smiles for post-high school girls at the home of Mrs. Nechama Zakem, 6:00 PM – 8:00 PM. RSVP to Nechama, 347-933-2347. Melaveh Malkah for women. Details to follow. Sponsorships available.
My Journey of Faith – David Gregory, CNN analyst and former host of "Meet the Press," will deliver the 33rd annual Rabbi Morris D. and Rebbetzin Esther Rosenblatt, Z"L, memorial lecture on Sunday, July 29, at Congregation Kneseth Israel, 1125 Spa Road, Annapolis, MD 21403. Light breakfast at 10:15 AM, program at 11:00 AM. The event is free and open to the public.
Rebuilding the Bais Hamikdash by Building a Stronger Community – During this somber time of year, your support for the Capital Kosher Pantry of Yad Yehuda is as important as ever. Please help to sustain our local brothers and sisters in need by donating non-perishable food in sealed, non-breakable containers, within the "Use By" date. Juices, tuna, boxed macaroni and cheese, nuts, oil, salt, granola bars, paper towels, toilet paper, toothpaste and soap are very much appreciated. Collection boxes are located in many community Shuls, in Moti¡¦s Market and in Shalom Kosher. Please call 301-842-7135 ext. 706 for further assistance.
Help our Senior Neighbors – What if you had to give up your car keys and depend on someone else to get you where you needed to go? This is happening to more and more of our senior neighbors. Consider volunteering with the Senior Connection to drive seniors to medical appointments. Training and liability coverage are provided, and you can set your own volunteering schedule. For more information, contact email@example.com, call 301-962-0820 or visit www.seniorconnectionmc.org
The Week Ahead
Sunday, July 22 – Tisha B'Av Monday July 23 Tuesday July 24 Wednesday July 25 Thursday July 26 Friday July 27
Ashkenazi 6:30, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30 6:15, 6:45, 7:35, 8:30 6:30, 6:55, 7:35, 8:30
Sephardi 7:30 6:00, 7:15 6:10, 7:15 6:10, 7:15 6:00, 7:15 6:10, 7:15
Ashkenazi 2:00, 7:55 / 8:50 8:15 8:15 8:15 8:15 See Shabbos schedule
Sephardi 8:00 8:10 8:10 8:10 8:10
Halachic Times: Earliest Talis and Tefillin: 5:05 AM, Latest Krias Shma: 9:37 AM, Earliest Mincha: 1:51 PM
July 27 – 28, 2018 – 16 Av 5778
Parshas Vaeschanan – Shabbos Nachamu
Light Candles by 8:06 – Havdalah 9:09
* Light Candles by 8:06, and not before 6:55
Ashkenazi: 6:40, 7:10, 8:10 Sephardi: 7:00 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 7:00, 8:00, 8:45, 9:15 Youth: 9:15 Sephardi: 7:45 Nusach Sefard: 7:00
Ashkenazi: 2:30, 5:00, 8:05 Sephardi: 7:50 Nusach Sefard: 8:05
* Maariv/Havdalah: 9:09
Wednesday, July 25 YISE Board of Directors Meeting, 7:15 PM
Shabbos, July 28 Aufruf of Ariel Isser, 8:45 Minyan
Shabbos, August 11 Rabbi Reuven Brand, Scholar-in-Residence
Next Shabbos Shorts Deadline: Wednesday, July 25 at 12:00 Noon.
Submit items for the Shabbos Shorts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 301-593-4465 Office Fax: 301-593-2330
Eruv line: 301-593-5561 E-Mail: email@example.com
Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Friday 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Rabbi Dovid Rosenbaum Sammy Franco – President
Rabbi Binyamin Silver – Asst. Rabbi Simi Franco – Office Manager